As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[B4B]Booty for Booty - Endgame Begins on p10

SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Critical Failures
Booty for Booty is a game of leading your pirate crew on adventures across the high seas with just two goals. Booty, and spending it on other Booty. For those of you who'd played Teen Island or Battle Chef with me this is a similar sort of game.

The rules are found above, but because we're playing on a forum there'll be a few twists. There'll be not one but three ships, competing for the goal of returning to port with 100 Booty. Each ship will have three players that divide the duties of managing the ship, acting in order each turn.

Captain: Decides on the bearing for the ship, assigns the crew to their jobs and, when in Port, decides when to hire new crew.
Deckmaster: Rations out the Grog to the crew and makes the Deck roll, handling any crew events that occur as a result of failing it. Also responsible for rolling on the Sober Pirate table when grog isn't supplied.
First Mate (name pending a better suggestion): Makes the Sail roll and handles any Sea Encounters and Islands to be explored.

(To clarify, these roles are completely separate to the in-game role of Captain that one pirate must always hold).

These changes may screw with the turn order in the rules a little, but I'll work out the specifics when I know how much interest we have. Currently I plan to have every Captain act, then every Deckmaster, then every First Mate.

The game has been a lot of fun in IRC and I'm hoping it'll carry across to the forums well. Those interested post below and we'll draw teams and positions at random if we get enough.

Boring stuff like die rollers and turn limits to materialise once there's interest.

THE SILVER LEATHER
Captain: lonelyahava
Deckmaster: Daius
First Mate: Kime
0 Grog, 26 Booty
Busted Mast (-5 to Sailing, 5 Booty at Port to repair)
White Whale
Dolphins
Crew
Captain Lucky Portfinder

FINAL BOOTY: 27

THE ROLLING BLUNDER
Captain: Infidel
Deckmaster: nefffffffffff
First Mate: Adventfalls
0 Grog, 71 Booty
Edmond Nastyscab and Topp Ramen will never work together.
Crew
Captain Raphael Dufort(Swaggerin', Peg Leg, Parrot)
Edmond Nastyscab (Swashbucklin', Toothless)

FINAL BOOTY: 73

THE DAINTY BELLE
Captain: simonwolf
Deckmaster: MrBlarney
First Mate: romanqwerty
6 Grog, 23 Booty
White Whale.
In a Doldrum.
Crew
Captain Muertos Yucatan the Bloody (Shootin', Swashbucklin')
Billy Garrett (Shootin')
Rubello Santiago the Bastard (Stealin', Swaggerin')
Boris Bootskinner (Stealin', Tattoos)
Castille DiMarco (Shootin', Peg Leg)
Tipsy O'Hoolahan (Shootin', Swigger)
Horatio Inkstain (Tattoos)

FINAL BOOTY: 33

Rules Stuff
On each turn the Captain of each team will take their actions. Once the final captain has acted the Deckmasters will carry out their actions. Once they are all done the First-Mates carry out their actions. Order between the teams is irrelevant, as long as no one jumps ahead of this turn order.

The actual actions of each player will need to follow the order outlined below.

Example Turn
Captain
- If the ship is in Port, buy Grog and/or new Crew as you wish, rolling up and naming new crewmen hired in this way.
- Set Bearing (Port, Island or a specific Enemy Ship).
- Divide the crew between the three jobs (Helm, Decks, Sails).
- Post the current Booty and Grog counts at the end of your post, even if they have gone unchanged.
CAPTAIN DONE

Deckmaster
- Distribute Grog to crew members, rolling on the Sober Pirate table for any that don't get their Grog.
- Make any Weakness rolls that are needed.
- Carry out the Deck Roll and deal with any events that arise as a result. This includes fighting other ships.
- Post the current Booty and Grog counts at the end of your post, even if they have gone unchanged.
DECKMASTER DONE

First Mate
- Decide which Pirates will be sent on the exploration team in case an island is reached. Note: You must do this even if your current bearing is not Island, as there are still ways you can wash up at an Island.
- Make the Sail Roll, including the names of the Exploration Team in the notes. This is to prevent people assigning crew members to the team after seeing the Island Event.
- Deal with the Port/Island/Sea Event that occurs as a result of the Sail roll.
FIRST MATE DONE

Any responsibilities not mentioned here fall to the Captain.

In addition to the rules in the document there will be the ability to attack other ships.
An enemy ship can be set as a bearing, just like an Island or Port, but to reach the enemy ship you must beat their Sail roll, rather than just scoring 6 or higher. If you reach the enemy ship both ships roll 1d6 and add Swashbuckling and Shootin' to the roll. This roll is carried out by the First-Mate. The loser faces the following consequences.
- Lose 2d6 Booty (or Grog if not enough Booty is available) to the Attackers.
- Roll for each crew member. On a 1 they are killed in the attack.

If a ship fails to reach the enemy it is chasing they roll a Sea Encounter instead.

SUPERSUGA on

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am obligated to play after having run several games on IRC of this.

Good times.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Booty senses tingling....

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am Captain Ahava.

I must play this game.

lonelyahava on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I shall play this game, and enjoy it.

Now to read the rules.

romanqwerty on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Captain Ahava is the best captain.

Zandracon on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am in like Captain McGuinn.

simonwolf on
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll throw my hat in for this.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2010
    We're playing a game in #mafia right now of this, check for link in my sig.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    simonwolf is never allowed to touch dice again.

lonelyahava on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    simonwolf is never allowed to touch dice again.

If tonight's experience is any indication, I don't think I'm allowed to roll dice again either.

Count me in.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The dice weren't the problem, it was just my misanthropic decision making! Those dice did nothing but act the way we taught them to, we never told them we loved them enough, boo hoo hoo boo

simonwolf on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is that a signup, Zandracon?

Anyone have any major queries or issues from playing it in #Mafia? How bad was the bodycount?

SUPERSUGA on
    edited February 2010
    Yesterday's adventure ended with 24 dead pirates after three trips out to sea. The first journey accumulated a haul of 100 booty. The other two were not as successful. (Especially the last one, since nobody returned from it.)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2010
    They go out to sea. with a full crew of like 8 pirates. They send me back to port with 2 pirates. 100 Booty, but 2 pirates.

Next time it was my turn, they had killed 7 out of 10 pirates and had contracted bird flu. They killed all of the pirates.

Hmph.

lonelyahava on
    edited February 2010
    100 Booty in a single journey? How did you manage that?

SUPERSUGA on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Colour me very interested.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've never played, but if there's room I'd be in.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pirates, you say...

Kristmas Kthulhu on
    edited February 2010
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    100 Booty in a single journey? How did you manage that?

We got three nice booty-gaining Island Events in succession (Kingdom of Booty, Treasure Cave, and Buried Treasure) to start the game, sending in everyone each time. Of course, it left us with just two pirates by the time it came to head back to port, but lonelyahava got us back safely.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited February 2010
    Well, that's 9 players. I'll now make some random draws to divide you into your teams and give you your roles.

Ship A
    Captain: lonelyahava
    Deckmaster: Daius
    First Mate: Kime

Ship B
    Captain: Infidel
    Deckmaster: nefffffffffff
    First Mate: Adventfalls

Ship C
    Captain: simonwolf
    Deckmaster: MrBlarney
    First Mate: romanqwerty

The Captain is responsible for rolling (and naming) their crew and naming their ship. I'll stress that other members of the team are encourages to chip in with suggestions for names of both pirates and ships. Listen to your team-mates, captains!

All rolls through Invisible Castle, with links and be sure to add what you're rolling for in the notes (requires signup but it's free). Your character name is your forum name and the campaign name is Booty. Once I have a ship and crew from every captain I'll post a clearer turn order and explain how exactly we're going to do this.

DBM: If you're interested in playing I can put you on the reserve list in case of dropouts.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited February 2010
    I'll have my rolls up tonight.

but currently, the Castle is being rather cranky with me as far as letting me login. Argh.

lonelyahava on
    edited February 2010
    Fuck Castle, use Orokos as well!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited February 2010
    Orokos is fine too. Same rules as with IC regarding names etc.

SUPERSUGA on
  • romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ohh wow. We're screwed eh MrB?

I propose our ship be named "Davy Jones Bound".

romanqwerty on
    edited February 2010
    Unnamed crew, PM me your suggestions me hearties! (I rolled fucking terrible.)

Crew: 2 1 3 3 1 1 3 2
    Weaknesses: 4 5 6
    Features: 7 7 8 5

CREW OF THE FUCKING PLACEHOLDER
    (Swashbucklin')
    (Swigger)
    (Swaggerin')
    (Swaggerin', Beard)
    (Scrapper)
    (Beard)
    (Swaggerin', Peg Leg)
    (Swashbucklin', Toothless)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited February 2010
    Now that's a crew, right there.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited February 2010
    They're a bunch of pirate posers. :(

All swaggerin' and swashbucklin' and fail.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited February 2010
    I guess the guy with the beard is ok.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited February 2010
    Ohh wow. We're screwed eh MrB?

I propose our ship be named "Davy Jones Bound".

Yeah... we're doomed. I can go with the "Davy Jones Bound" name.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    YARRRR! do I roll my own pirate who I can play as or am I just one of them? Also, Infidel: one should certainly be named Guybrush Threepwood.

edit: What is the role of deckmaster and first mate? I didn't see anything about it in the rules. I also want to suggest naming the ship the Lusty Lady.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "The Blaze of Glory" and "The Floating Funeral" may also work.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
    edited February 2010
    Crew: 6,5,3,4,4,5,6,3
    Bonus strengths: 2, 1
    Weakness: 4
    Features: 10, 8, 10

THE CREW OF HMS DEAD WHORES FLOATING
    Captain Marmalade the Bloody (Shootin', Swashbucklin')
    (Shootin')
    (Swaggerin')
    (Stealin')
    (Stealin', Tattoos)
    (Shootin', Peg Leg)
    Tipsy O'Hoolahan (Shootin', Swigger)
    (Swaggerin', Tattoos)

That's how you roll a goddamn crew

simonwolf on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Daius wrote: »
    "The Blaze of Glory" and "The Floating Funeral" may also work.

You people need to listen to this man.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Pirates!: 8d6=5, 3, 6, 5, 6, 2, 2, 5
    Strengths: 2d6=5, 5
    Shootin Features: 8 2d6=6, 2
    Shootin Features: 5 2d6=4, 1
    Shootin Feature: 8 2d6=5, 3
    Swashbucklin Features: 2d12=4, 9
    Features: 1d12=9
    Features Again: 1d12=2

Crew of the Silver Leather
    Shootin & Peg Leg
    Swaggerin
    Stealin & Shootin -- The Plunderer!
    Shootin & Toothless
    Stealin & Shootin & Hook
    Swashbucklin & Parrot
    Swashbucklin & Hook
    Shootin & Peg Leg & No Nose

C'mon kids. Gimme some names! Cause I have no idea at the moment.

Edit:: Pirate Fixed!!

lonelyahava on
    edited February 2010
    Change the name of my ship to HMS DEAD WHORES SOCIETY

That way, when things get really bad, you can all start going, "Oh captain, my captain," then pause and start laughing because, man, I set that up real good.

simonwolf on
    edited February 2010
    You did that wrong Ahava, you can't have two of the same legendaries.

And are people picking their trait for their 6s, and then rolling the other one?

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited February 2010
    simonwolf, I think I can forgive you somewhat, given the pirate crew you've assembled.

A couple names for your consideration, Rubello Santiago for the Stealin' pirate, and Castille DiMarco for the Shootin' Peg Leg pirate.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sure, I'll be a replacement pirate!

I read through the rules that didn't include events, but I didn't quite understand how the game was played. I'll probably give them a more thorough reading later. So this is PbP, or in IRC?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sure, I'll be a replacement pirate!

I read through the rules that didn't include events, but I didn't quite understand how the game was played. I'll probably give them a more thorough reading later. So this is PbP, or in IRC?

Its PbP but it works extremely well in the IRC channel.

The game is basically played by managing the events, so if you read a few, you'll get an idea of the sort of things you have to cope with. You roll up a crew, and set sail. Every round you must ration out grog to your crew. Crew that receive no grog may end up going crazy and doing Bad Things. Depending on how many crew are assigned to which tasks as well as how well you roll, you may or may not reach your destination (either an island to plunder, or port to restock grog and crew). Every turn you must roll on several of the event tables, depending on where you are, with the possiblity of good and bad things happening. The gist of the game is resource management of booty (which is generally gained from island events) and grog (which is purchased at port with booty), and dealing successfully with the events you roll. Certain pirate traits give you bonuses to handling the events.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    Ahava: You can only have one of each Legendary Pirate. The second one keeps his strengths but doesn't gain the special legendary bonuses, and will also need a Feature to differentiate him.

Also, as Erandus said, when you roll a 6 for Pirate Strength you should name the first Strength you're choosing in the notes for the bonus Strength roll. So if I roll a 6 and decide I want Shootin' for my first Strength I have to put that in the notes section of the roll to find the second Strength.

Noone needs to reroll anything to meet that new rule, as it was an oversight on my part.

Some more info to come shortly. Get these scumbags named.

SUPERSUGA on