As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ACHOO! Don't Give Me The Flu, Please *Sniffle*

madlyneonmadlyneon Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in PAX Archive
So this is going to be my first PAX (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and actually this is one of my first times posting here but anyway I have the following to ask of you all, just a small favor, really:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CONSIDER GETTING YOUR FLU SHOT AND/OR H1N1 VACCINE!

I cannot stress this enough. I'd hate for PAX to make news again for the wrong reasons (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/09/pax-swine-flu-outbreak-soars-to-nearly-100-cases-of-h1nerd1/), and trufthfully I'd hate to get sick and pretty much ruin my otherwise perfect weekend. PAX will have upwards of 60K people crammed into close proximity and with compromised immune systems, no less (all junk food and no sleep, makes jack a sick boy). Safety first, folks!

Most CVS's and Walgreen's are stocked up on both shots and you can just google them. I can post the links later if necessary. If anyone wants to post some more health tips so we don't all become grumpy, miserable infecteds--besides the seemingly obvious tips (WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS! >.<)-- please be my guest.

That is all. Thanks you for your time. =)

madlyneon on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1) A very small percentage of people who go to PAX read the forum so this is kind of a waste :P
    2) I dont do flu shots, and many others dont as well.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seconded, +1, ^, this, and whatever else I gotta do. I managed to get the regular flu, not the H1N1, but it still sucked coming home sick last year.

And, also, fuck that. I'm totally posting the obvious:

1) Wash your damn hands. A lot. Make trips to the bathrooms just to wash your hands. Wash them after you've coughed or sneezed. Wash them before and after shaking a bunch of people's hands. Wash them before and after eating. Wash them for no reason at all. Wash. Your. Hands.

2) Cough/sneeze into your sleeve or your shirt collar, not your hands. If you must cough into your hands, try to have some facial tissue to do it into, and not just bare skin. In either case, wash your hands immediately after, and never just do it into the air.

3) Consider bringing some Emergen-C, Airborne, Zycam, or other such immune system boosting fandanglement (yeah I just made it up, so what, wanna fight about it?), and don't forget to take it.

4) Get as much sleep as you can. I know this is the hardest weekend of the year to legitimize shutting down for a few hours, but your body needs it for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is that it keeps your immune system in good shape. Ideally we should all be getting at least 6 hours a night. Ideally.

5) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Not only does this keep your body functioning the way it should, but will also prevent you from getting headaches and dramatically increase the effectiveness of any caffeine/energy drinks you might imbibe. Bring a refillable water bottle or a Camelbak and drink all day long.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dont worry bout me, Its mandatory in the military to get vaccinated.

ZeroHourHero on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm kinda with BigRed on this one. Quite simply airborne diseases are *dastardly* hard to control. The best you can really do is just look out for numero-uno and hope that other people do the same.
    On the lighter side, hell, it's just Flu. You feel sick, and then, generally, you get better. It's not like we're looking at the possibility of airborne ebola or some other horrible hemmoragic fever, with PAXers bleeding out of their rectums left and right.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    edited February 2010
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    I'm kinda with BigRed on this one. Quite simply airborne diseases are *dastardly* hard to control. The best you can really do is just look out for numero-uno and hope that other people do the same.
    On the lighter side, hell, it's just Flu. You feel sick, and then, generally, you get better. It's not like we're looking at the possibility of airborne ebola or some other horrible hemmoragic fever, with PAXers bleeding out of their rectums left and right.

MY SPOON IS TOO BIG

BigRed on
    edited February 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

MY SPOON IS TOO BIG

EVERYBODY DANCE! LIFE IS GOOD!

Onmitsu on
  • HicksHicks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Never stopped me from getting the flu man.

Hicks on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hicks wrote: »

Never stopped me from getting the flu man.

Oh I get it, just only immediately after they make me get the shot.

ZeroHourHero on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well i think that taking the shot is a good idea for H1N1. Tons of people go on about oh i am not in the target demographic or some other bs about how they never are sick. I am sorry but i am a man of odds and odds and logic dictates being in a building with 60k+ people you will be exposed to some nasty stuff and i don't feel like getting sick so if some nasal spray can fix that why not take it?

Just imagine how many other people played that demo before you. So wash your hands carry some hand sanitizer or wipes around just don't go all Monk on us and you should be fine.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yep, I already did both shots...flu and H1N1.
    I do it because I have a kid in daycare, and if she gets sick, then I get sick from staying home taking care of her...that's a lot of time off work. The side benefit is PAX-plague resistance +5.

macrogeek on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Some people consider the H1N1 shot a form of population control by the global elites..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqMK_yu8APg

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know my friend's doctor actually counseled her against taking the H1N1 flu shot because he said they rushed it out without proper precautions. He said a regular flu shot would be more beneficial and probably work better. Not that I got that either. I feel that annual vaccinations aren't very worthwhile (and I'm not one of those people in danger of dying from flu.)

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Pretty much everybody who went to PAX Prime was exposed to H1N1, along with the regular seasonal flu. Even if we didn't catch it, we've got the antibodies for it. Also, yeah, I don't do flu shots. Not only am I not at risk for dying from the flu, but I also rarely get sick at all. Getting a flu shot seems like a guaranteed way to get flu symptoms when it's likely that I'd never have to deal with them otherwise.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    While you're at CVS getting your flu shot make sure you buy deodorant too.

No dudesweat.

Atlus Parker on
    edited February 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Some people consider the H1N1 shot a form of population control by the global elites..

Same people also think that we are ruled by lizard people and such. If you think that vaccinations are out to kill you i will laugh when you get sick and DIE.

@dardor

Oh really a friend of a friends doctor and this is supposed to sway me how? H1N1 vax is the same as the flu vax PERIOD. They used the same methods and testing standards. With some tens of millions of doses given we have seen no side effects more so than with normal flu vax. Want to prove me wrong go to pub med and start reading.

So if david icke and his lizards ruling the world theory is good enough for you then by all means listen to him. Be smart wash your hands don't touch your mouth and use common sense.

chupamiubre on
    <prox> i work for dicks
  • zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As someone who is currently spending time in a disease class, I feel that I need to throw in my 2 cents.

First of all, to all the people who are saying you rarely get sick and have really strong immune systems...there is still a chance you'll get sick if you don't at least follow the common sense rules Arco posted. That goes especially for sleeping the right amount. I got the flu after PAX Prime '09, though it was no where near as severe as my roommates (including my bf, who has a ridiculously strong immune system) because I made a conscious effort to get enough sleep. I actually may have been fine if I'd been able to get proper sleep upon arriving home...had a full day of classes following a late arriving plane so it wasn't very fun.

Also, as far as the various vaccines are concerned, I'd say it's really up to the individual, and I'd recommend talking to a doctor if you're unsure. Some people can get very sick from vaccines, and it can be ineffective for others. Another thing to consider is that the seasonal flu in Texas may not be the same as the flu from North Dakota or New Jersey or even the UK for that matter.

In the end, there will be many people in a small area which increases risk of disease, especially respiratory disease. So my recommendations are these:

1. Follow the common sense guidelines posted by Arco, it'll help you fight off any disease, be it flu, the cold, pneumonia, though it won't save you from the bumping uglies

2. Don't over-sanitize...you can kill off the normal flora that way, and they're your first line of defense against pathogens

3. Get the vaccine if you are at an increased risk and your doctor deems it safe for you; otherwise, whatever...I'm not getting it since I was exposed at PAX Prime '09, and I have a huge phobia of needles and a suspicion of any vaccine that hasn't been out on the market for a few years

4. I feel I must repeat this one because it really is important...use common sense: wash your hands, get good sleep, stay hydrated.

5. Have fun and don't stress...stress=lowered immune system

zezspecs on
  • baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i'm supposed to get flu shots normally, never mind the h1n1.
    but frankly, i'm a student, and i've not gotten flu this year. which is surprising as hell. EVERYONE gets flu.

People I've lived with have had the Swine, so I have a feeling I could b ok.

Basically, I'm not getting the shot. If I get flu, i wouldn't be surprised at all. I'm from a different continent dudes.

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So if david icke and his lizards ruling the world theory is good enough for you then by all means listen to him. Be smart wash your hands don't touch your mouth and use common sense.

When the Andromeda Wars end and the entire population of earth is enslaved to the Saturians holographic power structure, don't come crying to me just because you had your H1N1 vaccine. You and your ilk are first against the wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR46QjXjLH0

Atlus Parker on
    edited February 2010
    @chupiambre

Not trying to sway anyone's opinion, just giving my own 2 cents. Stop the hate. If you can't figure out that other people (aka Jezo and Atlus) are being facetious then you should really just take a breather.

dardor on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My work gave out free flu shots in November and H1N1 shots last month.

I declined both.

I will however be using hand sanitizer while I'm there and washing my hands. But I don't think you should try to make people get flu shots if they don't want to.

Rdr on
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, don't let my natural immunities fool you, I still use basic hygiene like everybody else. Also, generally increase my intake of Vitamin C when out of town, just to be extra safe against the foreign germs.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• CoctopusCoctopus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Working for Hopkins has its benefits. Both seasonal and H1N1 for free for me! Wooha, hopefully that will help me in some way from contracting the inevitable PAX Pox.

Coctopus on
    edited February 2010
    I treat my body like shit during conventions and still dont get sick.

I drank more snobawls last pax than water, didnt eat often, got little sleep, and even shared straws/cups with a ton of enforcers who did get sick.

Yeah... I think im fine without a flu shot.

BigRed on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got a flu shot at work a couple of months ago and I have been chronically sneezing ever since. Never sick, just constant ANNOYING sneezing. Never got the H1Nerd1 shot though. Never saw a need for it.

Also, the link in the OP is a liiiittle bit exaggerated. 100 people out of a crowd of 75K is pretty low. There was a much more severe outbreak that same weekend at Washington State University, and that hardly made the news.

That being said, common sense is best for everyone. Arco's guidelines are excellent.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • madlyneonmadlyneon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Full disclosure here: been getting my flu shot every year for the past few years now (I wanna say last 5 years, all complication free, no side effects). The one year I didn't get the flu shot (I got lazy) was this year and as luck would have it got the most debilitating flu in January.

I am normally a healthy individual but got my butt kicked by this flu, was sent to the ER, got pneumonia, out of comission for nearly 2 weeks. So for those of you saying "its just the flu and I'll get over it" should really reconsider that postion. Flu ain't fun.

And, yes. I am a little paranoid. =p

Just saying, I won't be taking my chances. Both vaccines aren't that cost prohibitive and frankly a little needle prick isn't the most painful thing in the world either.

and if only 100 people out of 60K get the Flu or even the Swine Flu, something tells me that I would be one of them!

madlyneon on
    edited February 2010
    Well the fact that you had been getting flu shots for 5 years, then suddenly didn't, probably contributes to how severe your flu was, since you hadn't been exposed like that in so long.

Also, if you've already had the seasonal flu this year, you won't be getting it a second time.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, you can get your shots but I wouldn't try pushing it on others. Especially people who don' t really need it. I'll gladly get the flu and let an elderly or sick person have that shot because I can get over it better.

I'll be doing what I always do and thats what Arco said. I suggest everyone follow those basic tips which is really common sense. :)

Rdr on
  • madlyneonmadlyneon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Well the fact that you had been getting flu shots for 5 years, then suddenly didn't, probably contributes to how severe your flu was, since you hadn't been exposed like that in so long.

Also, if you've already had the seasonal flu this year, you won't be getting it a second time.

Not to be nitpicky but yes you can have multiple instances of the flu in one season. The flu as we know it, isn't just one virus, but several different types of viruses, all of which you can catch.

On another unrelated note: I'm not trying to be a drug dealer! I don't wanna push drugs on you: I don't work for a pharmaceutical, lol. We can all agree its an individual choice whethor or not to get the vaccine(s), that's why my first post was "PLEASE CONSIDER GETTING YOUR FLU SHOT"

That is all. Have a lovely day!

madlyneon on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    To be honest, with sixty thousand people in a small space, many of whom don't necessarily have the best personal hygiene in the first place - influenza is probably the least of your concerns. I'd be more concerned with the common cold, and other easily transmissible diseases like pink eye!

Usagi on
    edited February 2010
    I'd be more worried about people getting colds than the flu to be honest. Don't be stupid and dress warm =)

edit: whoops, Usagi already mentioned that xD

dardor on
  • Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My beard is the first line of defense for my immunse system.

I'd be more concernered with the avian swine flu.

As stated, don't be an idiot. Maintain a proper diet and take care of yourself, your immune system will be fine.

Oldmangloom315 on
    edited February 2010
    Person A never gets sick because he or she has a superhuman immune system.

Persons B and C, being normal people, do get sick.

Person D has the deadly Motaba virus.

Person D shakes hands with person A, who shakes hands and shares straws with persons B and C.

Now everyone but person A is dead.

Wash your hands, cover your mouth, hydrate, don't share drinks, up your intake of vitamins and minerals, get lots of sleep, shower every day, and be a responsible PAXer for the benefit of all.

Arco on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got both, but then my immune system has been kinda wacky this past year. I know I'll be toting a bottle of hand cleaner and tissues and airborne around for sure.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it directly (washing your hands after doing most things is important), but if you're handling money, be sure to. I worked at a bank for a few years and money is, by far, one of the biggest carriers of nasty crap out there.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
    edited February 2010
    Also, on a tangential note, 90% of all the money you've ever touched has trace amounts of cocaine in it.

Arco on
    edited February 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    Also, on a tangential note, 90% of all the money you've ever touched has trace amounts of cocaine in it.

Which is why you get high on it. :winky:

dardor on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Which is why I lick all my money.

Oh...wait...

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
    edited February 2010
    dardor wrote: »

Which is why you get high on it. :winky:

Now that's what I call extra bang for your buck! *rimshot*

Onmitsu on
  • JillersJillers Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I will not be getting a flu shot, and especially not Hamthrax.. however, I never get vaccinations unless it's something I need (ie: I need documentation that I received [x-vaccination] in order to travel or attend a college, etc...), as a result, I have a pretty decent immune system and rarely get sick.
    That being said, if you are someone who does over sanitize, and does not expose themselves to germs ever, you might want to consider getting a flu shot, since it'll be more important for you.
    And use common sense like eveyone else has been saying. Wash your hands before you eat, after using the bathroom, get a good amount of sleep, and maybe boost up on your Vitimin C intake.
    Seriously, try not to over sanitize, it's crazy people.

tl;dr read zezspecs' post. I agree with them.

Jillers on
    ~End Transmission~
    edited February 2010
    With any luck my BAC will be high enough to kill off H1nerd1 and any Ebola that might creep into pax.

Cheers!

chupamiubre on
    <prox> i work for dicks
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm one of the PAX 09 H1Nerd1 survivors and honestly I made the precautions that were suggested, but there was 80K worth of people. One of my group members got it and then there were 5 of us due to close rooming. I don't personally advocate the vaccination due to my personal issue with the process of the H1N1 vaccination and that now there are mutants of the H1N1 that the vaccinations don't cover. If it makes you more comfortable and helps you take every precaution you can. However a plastic bubble might hinder your swag collecting.

So look in the end it is all about being aware of your surroundings and enjoying yourself. Make some extra steps to wash your hands more and if you find yourself surrounded by germy people, get a med mask. And this is not just advice for those who want to stay healthy, but those of you who are sick, take the time and precautions so that it stays with you. I hope you all enjoy the new Eastside PAX and you come to enjoy the Westside PAX too.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.