As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chocolate from the UK

LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
So, a few people have mentioned a couple of chocolate related products from the UK - smarties, crunchie. I will have a little space in my bag, as I'm sure a few other peeps from the UK might have. Here's your chance to ask for a specific type of chocolate product. I will bring as much with me as I can. No guarantees, but if you don't ask, you definitely won't get.

Here's the list so far...

Hypatia - Kinder egg
ZeroHourHero - Crunchie, Turkish Delight (I'm assuming Fry's), Twisted
Rdr - Aero, crunchie, wispa - gold (with caramel) or mint if its available - its not yet.
Trion - Kinder egg
Lindsey Loham - Kinder egg and some grown up chocolate
DaNerd - serious, grown up chocolate
Arco - ditto
AcidityTom - Kinder egg
Postal Kitty - Kinder egg
VisionOfClarity - Cadburys Dairy Milk and turkish delight
gilby123 Smarties in a tube
mspenser - dark chocolate or weird chocolate
cadbury's creme eggs for strange people!
QuickSnap - Galaxy bar
Wingedillidan - foreign chocolate without poison or bleach
H2O Shoagie - Kinder egg/Turkish Delight
Lord Jezo - Lion Bar
JSmurf - Mars Bar
Pablo the Penguin - Milka Bars

I'll keep adding if the list gets bigger. If anyone else from the UK/Canada will bring stuff, let me know, ta!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
LewieP's Mummy on

• atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd hate to get my hands on something I've been hearing about my entire life...only to be told "NYAH! YOU CAN'T GET THIS AGAIN TILL NEXT YEAR!". It'd be like the McRib used to be all over again :(

atiari on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh oh! I have never seen a Kinder egg. Even if you don't bring it for me, can you bring one so that I can see it "in operation"?

Hypatia on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cadbury Crunchy, And a Turkish bar, or a Twisted Bar

ZeroHourHero on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So, a few people have mentioned a couple of chocolate related products from the UK - smarties, crunchie. I will have a little space in my bag, as I'm sure a few other peeps from the UK might have. Here's your chance to ask for a specific type of chocolate product. I will bring as much with me as I can. No guarantees, but if you don't ask, you definitely won't get.

zomg!

I have three candy bar choices. I don't know exactly the demand you'll get so if you can only get one bar for each person then I'll order them in the order I'd want the most.

1.) Nestle Aero
    2.) Cadbury Crunchie
    3.) Cadbury Wispa

Rdr on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hypatia wrote: »
    Oh oh! I have never seen a Kinder egg. Even if you don't bring it for me, can you bring one so that I can see it "in operation"?

You don't have Kinder eggs in the US? Shit I'll bring some down...

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    f I could get a couple of the Kinder Eggs, that would be great.

Trion on
    edited February 2010
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    Hypatia wrote: »

You don't have Kinder eggs in the US? Shit I'll bring some down...

Can you bring me one? That way LewieP's Mummy will have room for others.

Rdr on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I too would love to see a Kinder Egg - if someone from Canadaland or Europe would be willing to bring down a few I'd definitely buy a couple to bring home for my son. In the US you can't sell food with non-food inside so no Kinder Eggs.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've only seen this in Paris, but you're closer to there then I am.

99% chocolate. I would love to get my hands on some more of that.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I too would love to see a Kinder Egg - if someone from Canadaland or Europe would be willing to bring down a few I'd definitely buy a couple to bring home for my son. In the US you can't sell food with non-food inside so no Kinder Eggs.

Ya sadly no kinder eggs are available in US. They are neat though. For the record a kinder egg can be shipped to the us from canada though the shipping cost for a case of 24 is roughly the same cost as the case itself. O and the funny thing is its the same cost to ship 1 egg.

kindersurprise__50617_std.jpg

Singollo on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TO ALL PEOPLE THAT WANT KINDER EGGS - if you live in a big city (or relativly near a big city) that has a russian market or a European store, they sell them there. They arent allowed in the US because FDA forbids something nonedible to be completely covered by something edible (ie, you cant see that theres a chocking hazard underneath the chocolate), but for some reason the european markets get them shipped in bulk. It would be a lot easier for you guys to just give your nearest market a call and im sure they have them.

i used to work at a russian store so im familiar with their stock. it would just save the brits packing space

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A store my old job used to carry them, 3 for $10.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm a dark chocolate fanatic. If I see a bar of dark chocolate above 70% cacao that I've never eaten before, I buy it. I've probably samples 50+ different varieties dark chocolate bars over the years. Strangely enough, Wal Mart sells my favorite. It's a single source 72% dark from Costa Rica.

If the UK has any outstanding dark chocolates, I would absolutely love to get my hands on them. I don't know any specifics. Any other dark chocolate people out there?

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • AcidityTomAcidityTom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Are you giving these away or selling them? Either way, I'd like a few kinder eggs. :P

AcidityTom on
    voDnI3Z.png
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I figure I get one post on here before people chase me out...so, let's make it good.

I'm not a fan of chocolate.

*rushes out before the rotten vegetables and fruit are thrown*

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
    edited February 2010
    dardor wrote: »
    I figure I get one post on here before people chase me out...so, let's make it good.

I'm not a fan of chocolate.

*rushes out before the rotten vegetables and fruit are thrown*

What you hate chocolate how dare you prepares the vegetables. *pauses* o ya i forgot i hate chocolate to OK well mostly cause most chocolate acts like dairy and could kill me.

Singollo on
  • Postal KittyPostal Kitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would like to try Kinder Eggs. Then again, anything thats good chocolate I would love to try.

Postal Kitty on
  • joymonkeyjoymonkey Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Most Boston area supermarkets carry a lot of British/Irish/European food since there's a lot of newer immigrants around here. I haven't been there in a few years, but I remember going to the Shaws supermarket at the Prudential Center (around the corner from the Hynes Convention Center) and they had a pretty good British section in their 'world market' area, complete with Crunchies and other Cadburys chocolate bars. They're not cheap though.

joymonkey on
    edited February 2010
    DaNerd wrote: »

Ouch. They are like 3 for $3 here.

Anyways, I'll bring down as many as I can in my suitcase and we'll figure out distribution (free) as we get closer.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Roue CinnamonRoue Cinnamon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This may be a perfect time to begin my Ketchup Chip smuggling operation.

Roue Cinnamon on
    edited February 2010
    I can imagine at the border crossing:

What's that in the large suitcase sir?
    Poutine and Ketchup Chips officer...

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited February 2010
    I can get ketchup chips at the local grocery store, Herrs makes em.

ZeroHourHero on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, I brought a giant bag filled with Crunchies for my sister back from Montreal. What I need is a dutch forumer to bring me stroopwafels.

VisionOfClarity on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll probably bring stuff for free, rather than make peeps pay, unless lots and lots of people want stuff.

I love dark chocolate, so will be bringing some with me.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited February 2010
    Oooo, can you bring me a Cadbury dairy milk bar to the dinner? I love them.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited February 2010
    I'll start to make a list of who wants what and what I'm bringing in the OP!

LewieP's Mummy on

• gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't particularly need anything, just trying to remember what I had one I was a kid. I was about 10 or so (3rd grade - 1986-ish) and was friends with a boy who's mom was from the UK. They took a trip to visit family and he brought me back these M&M-like candies in a tube. I remember them being good, more milky than M&Ms, but can't recall the name. They may have been Smarties, but can't recall.

gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
    edited February 2010
    Yes, Fry's Turkish Delight

ZeroHourHero on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    as an aside, kinder bueno is ^3 more awesome than the kinder eggs. its chocolate +wafer with a hazelnut cream inside. its the most delicious desert thing ive ever had. if i end up at pax, i can bring you guys some.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • CanadianCanadian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WHAT...They do not sell all of the chocolate mentioned in the first post, in the United States?...What do you guys have for chocolate?

Canadian on
  • CanadianCanadian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DaNerd wrote: »

3 for $10 - They are like $0.75 here.

Canadian on
    edited February 2010
    Canadian wrote: »
    WHAT...They do not sell all of the chocolate mentioned in the first post, in the United States?...What do you guys have for chocolate?

My understanding is compared to Europe that our chocolate is quite poor in variety and quality.

As a side note - thank you for adding me to the list with my Kinder Egg. Along with that (and I would gladly pay if it is too much of a hastle/expense) could I ask for just one piece of grown up chocolate? Nothing fancy - just something good and tasty enough to make my wife forget about how much I overspend on the weekend :)

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited February 2010
    No Crunchie either?! Oh man.

LewieP's Mummy - I can help bring some of that stuff in if you want to split the load. Kinder Eggs/Buenos/Bars, Crunchies, etc. Let me know, otherwise I'll just bring some random stuff.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    Canadian wrote: »

We have whats known as corn syrup candy or as some people put it waxy candy. The thing about America is we have a sweet tooth so our candy tends to get modified to taylor to it or so that's what the companies claim. Cadbury for example ships chocolate to us then we add corn syrup to make it sweeter and as result the chocolate content is reduced. Cadbury UK response to this is Americans prefer it this way.

Singollo on
    edited February 2010
    Cadbury is made by Hershey in the US not Cadbury so it tastes nothing like Cadbury anywhere else.

VisionOfClarity on
  • slaaderslaader Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I cannot believe any of you have not asked for a Wispa. Best part about the UK...that and Snake Bite Blacks.

Also for those near the Boston area, you can get a lot of this at the candy store in Legacy Place down in Dedham, MA. You pay a premium though since its "imported".

Also the Hannaford's in Waltham, Ma carries Aero pretty regularly.

slaader on
    edited February 2010
    The Shaw's carry Aero usually.

Also, ew Dedham.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited February 2010
    slaader wrote: »
    I cannot believe any of you have not asked for a Wispa. Best part about the UK...that and Snake Bite Blacks.

Actually, on post #5 I asked for a Wispa. :)

Rdr - Aero, crunchie, wispa - gold (with caramel) or plain?
    Sorry, forgot to specify. Wispa Mint would be my first choice but don't know if it is out yet. If Mint is not out then I'll go with Gold. Thanks so very much! :)

Rdr on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's turkish delight? I mean, I've read about it in the Chronicles of Narnia and Google'd it, but I still don't really understand it. Is it like... jelly?

Hypatia on
    edited February 2010
    Its not really like jelly/jello, its made with corn flour, lots of sugar and rose flavouring. Its boiled then covered in icing sugar, and packed in boxes. It originates in Turkey. You can also buy it covered in chocolate - Fry's Turkish delight the most popular. I don't like it that much, its a bit too sweet for me.

LewieP's Mummy on

This discussion has been closed.