As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For some reason War still never changes. Again.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    jwalk wrote: »
    I didn't find any of the crafted weapons very useful. Rockit launcher is hilarious, shooting teddy bears at fools and shit.. but who wants to wander around the battlefield picking up their damn ammo after every fight..

Lincoln's Repeater was by far my favorite. Followed by Vengeance, but ammo for that was a bitch if you didn't just plain cheat with the console.

I find the crossbow pretty useful for killing those early Deathclaws and Yogis. It's a magical super-crippler, what more do you want?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    my last playthrough I ran into 2 deathclaws within about 20 minutes of leaving the vault D:

one was weak and i managed to finish it off with a shitload of grenades, the other i ran far far away from

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What are those massive images of? Is that just FO3 mods? I never saw that tower before.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ... the new Fallout game. Were you even reading the posts or just looking at the pretty pictures?

Also, re: made weapons, I loved the shishkebab

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    What are those massive images of? Is that just FO3 mods? I never saw that tower before.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas

august on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah Shishkebab is ok if you're into meleein dudes and you take Pyromaniac, but the Shocksword is just as good if you didn't.

Crossbow.. what crossbow? You mean train-spike gun? I hear it's good for crippling fool's legs but I didn't really use it.

jwalk on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nah, the little dart gun you build out of the toy car and the paint gun. One dart automatically cripples both legs no matter where you hit them. The railway rifle is pretty good at taking out limbs too, but only one at a time.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The dart gun is a godsend against anything which has too many legs, especially the Albino Rad Scorpions.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, but I prefer aiming for the head. So satisfying when they just.. POP right off.

jwalk on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I never realized just how much of the wasteland was populated by giant radscorpions.

Is there something moving under a discarded cereal box, or a bag of chips? Giant radscorpion. Two of them.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Albino Rad Scorpions make me wonder why the Enclave wastes its time weaponizing Deathclaws.

august on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dart gun is awesome versus deathclaws

Rail Spike is pretty terrible, but also pretty awesome

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mart's Mutant Mod is the shit

it adds a lot of variation among enemies and also makes the game significantly more difficult due to loads of weird groupings of monsters and people fighting each other as you're walking around

just make sure you install it according to the instructions (saving a game in a quiet place and NOT OUTSIDE)

because otherwise you'll see things like screaming mercs flying across the sky at the speed of sound and dozens of giant ants swarming a couple of raiders standing around a campfire

no wait

what I meant was

"always install MMM the wrong way"

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MMM is awesome.

I love the whole giving monsters several different shades and textures and randomizing their size. Being attacked by a pack of molerats that all look like individuals is awesome. That is a feature of the mod, right? I'm in half a mind to go over to the Beth forums and as for that kind of randomization in New Vegas.

august on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I didn't find any of the crafted weapons very useful. Rockit launcher is hilarious, shooting teddy bears at fools and shit.. but who wants to wander around the battlefield picking up their damn ammo after every fight..

Lincoln's Repeater was by far my favorite. Followed by Vengeance, but ammo for that was a bitch if you didn't just plain cheat with the console.

What kind of ammo does it use?

As far as unique weapons, I love Ol Painless and The Terrible Shotgun, since I usually go for small guns, and when I finally level up Energy Weapons A3-21s plasma rifle is pretty great, since by then I've essentially got unlimited ammo

And not quite unique, but the Gauss Rifle is boss.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Mart's Mutant Mod is the shit

it adds a lot of variation among enemies and also makes the game significantly more difficult due to loads of weird groupings of monsters and people fighting each other as you're walking around

just make sure you install it according to the instructions (saving a game in a quiet place and NOT OUTSIDE)

because otherwise you'll see things like screaming mercs flying across the sky at the speed of sound and dozens of giant ants swarming a couple of raiders standing around a campfire

no wait

what I meant was

"always install MMM the wrong way"

Even the enemies added by Broken Steel are a bitch

doing Vault 87 where every single mutant is an overlord with a tri laser rifle

AWESOME

and Albino Radscorpions that take a million shots to kill!

Javen on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I exclusively used the Terrible Shotgun for at least two playthroughs. There was no reason to do otherwise.

Also, yeah, fuck the new enemies. The only thing Bethesda did to the new "tougher" enemies was add a shit-ton of hit points. That's not clever. That's lazy programming. I mean, if I can't kill something with five shotgun blasts to the head at point blank range, followed by another half a dozen tri-laser blasts, something is screwy.

Edit: I realize talking about "What should be in a game" is fairly futile, but when it comes to a new Fallout game, it's exciting because almost anything is possible and there's a chance that whatever crazy idea you might be holding onto will end up in the game.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sure but they are the only challenging enemies when you are level 30 and can basically 1-shot everything else in the game from 100 yards.

Vengeance is a gatling laser, it uses... those laser cells... like, a shitton of them. Also keeping it repaired is a bitch since basically firing 1 clip knocks off 15-20% durability or so.

I just cheated with the console..

jwalk on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just started playing Fallout 3 again

woo

playing the same kinda character I did before, Stealth/small guns/lockpick, only with a higher intelligence so I get hells of skill points (currently 21 per level)

also I've turned the difficulty down because combat is really not my favorite bit of Bethesda games, and their tactic of making higher-level enemies challenging by giving them trillions of hit points is more annoying than anything else

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Maxing out intel from the getgo is incredibly required, espeically since between the bobbleheads and Almost Perfect you can get every other stat up to 10 anyway. Having max stats and about 75% of skills mastered is pretty ballin

Javen on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sure but they are the only challenging enemies when you are level 30 and can basically 1-shot everything else in the game from 100 yards.

Vengeance is a gatling laser, it uses... those laser cells... like, a shitton of them. Also keeping it repaired is a bitch since basically firing 1 clip knocks off 15-20% durability or so.

I just cheated with the console..

i did the entire last section of Broken Steel with Vengeance. Had my ammo saved up from the beginning of the game, with the scrap metal repair mod installed and ton of that. Quite a lot of fun.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, next perk I'm gonna get is the one that gives me two skill points from skill books instead of one

then I'll read all the books I've collected

I kinda want to get the PC version again, although I am much more of a packrat in the PC versions of Bethesda games because the controls make it a bit easier to put shit around my house

LOOK AT MY COLLECTION OF FIFTY MINI-NUKES, IT TOOK AN HOUR TO GET THEM IN A ROW

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Then you knock one down, and scream in slow motion as your display slowly crumbles before your eyes.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    oh man

the experimental MIRV with infinite ammo on

it is so much fun

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Then you knock one down, and scream in slow motion as your display slowly crumbles before your eyes.

That is why I would quicksave as I placed each one

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Dee Kae wrote: »

That is why I would quicksave as I placed each one

You are a man that thinks ahead.

I can't place anything right with the 360 version, it all slides around too much.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, next perk I'm gonna get is the one that gives me two skill points from skill books instead of one

I kinda want to get the PC version again, although I am much more of a packrat in the PC versions of Bethesda games because the controls make it a bit easier to put shit around my house

I'm going to do this (the skill book thing) on my next playthrough. I grossly underestimated the amount of books in the world, so I didn't take it this time around.

I also need to start putting shit in my house regularly. I always seem to forget that shit doesn't disappear when I exit the game

Javen on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Maxing out intel from the getgo is incredibly required, espeically since between the bobbleheads and Almost Perfect you can get every other stat up to 10 anyway. Having max stats and about 75% of skills mastered is pretty ballin

Ugh. I hate minmaxing RPGs, and nothing is surer to make me quit playing before finishing the plot than having jacked up stats.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    TunaheadTunahead Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also isn't Charisma completely useless, you just max Speech and leave Charisma at 1 and you're golden

Well in any case I hope the new one will have classic troglodyte dialogue for low Int characters

Also hopefully they will have some kind of connection between the story and gameplay this time, in Fallout 3 the story was about how desperately everyone needed clean water, but when you found some your reaction was basically "Oh hey time to go find a hobo for free karma, I mean what else am I going to do with clean water, drink it?"

Although I think there was some mod that fixed that

Tunahead on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Having a heavy survivalism aspect to New Vegas would be pretty cool, which is why Hardcore mode interests me, even if I know deep down inside that it's going to kick my ass.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    a mean spirited survivalist mode is what that game needs though

for the most part, the difficulty of the game lies in how outnumbered you may be at a given time

because you have a lot of options to choose from when killing a cat in single combat

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    the one where you just ripped off the top right quarter of their body was my favourite

rib cage all poking out and shit

My favorite was the custom animation for the big fat dude in the very first settlement of Fallout 1. I remember that being the crystallizing moment for me loving the game dearly.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    the one where you just ripped off the top right quarter of their body was my favourite

My favorite was the custom animation for the big fat dude in the very first settlement of Fallout 1. I remember that being the crystallizing moment for me loving the game dearly.

The crime boss in Junktown? Pft, that wasn't the first settlement. *Adjusts glasses*

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fuuuuck

Apparently Starcraft II is going into closed beta this month

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

The crime boss in Junktown? Pft, that wasn't the first settlement. *Adjusts glasses*

Only chumps go to Shady Sands before Junktown

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

In my Morrowind stronghold, I put so much stuff into it that the overflow loot back appeared, and anything else I put down would go in there. I had every available surface covered with armor sets and weapons. And right before the bag showed up, I had even started making a carpet out of the various jewels.

This was the xbox version, maybe the pc version didn't have it.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tunahead wrote: »
    Also isn't Charisma completely useless, you just max Speech and leave Charisma at 1 and you're golden

Well in any case I hope the new one will have classic troglodyte dialogue for low Int characters

Also hopefully they will have some kind of connection between the story and gameplay this time, in Fallout 3 the story was about how desperately everyone needed clean water, but when you found some your reaction was basically "Oh hey time to go find a hobo for free karma, I mean what else am I going to do with clean water, drink it?"

Although I think there was some mod that fixed that

I've always played high intel/charisma characters so I have no idea. When I first did it in Fallout 3 I got my ass kicked because there really aren't a surplus of chances to utilize either

Javen on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Artreus wrote: »

In my Morrowind stronghold, I put so much stuff into it that the overflow loot back appeared, and anything else I put down would go in there. I had every available surface covered with armor sets and weapons. And right before the bag showed up, I had even started making a carpet out of the various jewels.

This was the xbox version, maybe the pc version didn't have it.

sadly, no

had crossed swords (the glowy ones from tribunal) and skulls in every type of helmet

alchemy lab, dinner spread, the works

curse you overflow baaaaaag!

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    <:__)~<:__)~ Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only thing I remember doing with my Morrowwind house was going around the rooftop and placing lamps inside of bowls all along the edge, because i liked the lighting effect, and i could find my house in the dark.

<:__)~ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When I first got it I was so excited to find out that you could kill someone and their house would be yours.

I was even more excited when I found out you could get someone to build you a super extra badass stronghold

Artreus on