As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ACHOO! Don't Give Me The Flu, Please *Sniffle*

2»

• firemage1026firemage1026 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We should probably fix up a thread on what should be the best idea for keeping healthy during PAX. This is the first PAX for alot of people on this coast and I think that it will help people out alot. I think the OP has the right idea.

firemage1026 on
    I am going to kill you... I mean hug you!
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like how the number of PAX09 attendees keeps climbing in this thread.

Rdr on
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There is two ways to look at it you can keep giving yourself artificial immunity year after year and never build up natural defenses. Or you can get the cold/flu once a year and recover in a day.

In short not getting vaccinated, just bringing hand sanitizer, wipes, and little bottles of pulp free OJ.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    With any luck my BAC will be high enough to kill off H1nerd1 and any Ebola that might creep into pax.

Cheers!

Thats what I do :P

That and caffeine. My body is so fucked up during a convention any germs that enter are just like... to hell with this.

Arco, im going to cough on you at pax out of spite :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    Arco, im going to cough on you at pax out of spite :P

Hey be careful with that. Remember when you kicked Accalon's ATM?

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Liger wrote: »
    Also, the link in the OP is a liiiittle bit exaggerated. 100 people out of a crowd of 75K is pretty low. There was a much more severe outbreak that same weekend at Washington State University, and that hardly made the news.

Just so you know, the actual number is almost certainly much higher than 100. I contracted H1Nerd1 at PAX, but never reported it. I elected instead to sit at home a few days, wait a couple days after my fever broke, then went back to work and classes.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I never get a flu shot, won't be getting the seasonal or H1N1 for PAX. Taking care of myself with proper rest, fluids, and vitamins versus guaranteed illness due to injected virus (ie Liger's sneezing), I think I'll take care of myself like I try to do anyway.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    Liger wrote: »
    Also, the link in the OP is a liiiittle bit exaggerated. 100 people out of a crowd of 75K is pretty low. There was a much more severe outbreak that same weekend at Washington State University, and that hardly made the news.

Just so you know, the actual number is almost certainly much higher than 100. I contracted H1Nerd1 at PAX, but never reported it. I elected instead to sit at home a few days, wait a couple days after my fever broke, then went back to work and classes.

Even if there were 200 reported cases, that's still pretty low. People are so afraid of germs these days that a slightly stronger flu virus is the end of the world.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited February 2010
    IMO, the reason everyone freaked out over H1N1 was due to the larger number of younger fatalities, that it was somehow hitting the (healthier) youth harder. Same generation that's been raised on hand sanitizers and anti-bacterial-everything but I won't start that immunity debate here.

~60,000-some geriatrics die due to the flu yearly and it never makes news or causes the hysteria that H1N1 did, but attach little Sally's face to the illness and media frenzy. Then it becomes a self-perpetuating machine and media frenzy ramps up public anxiety, etc.

</soapbox>

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not to mention the irreparable damage the H1N1 vaccine does to the DNA of even the healthiest person.

Atlus Parker on
    edited February 2010
    Not to mention the irreparable damage the H1N1 vaccine does to the DNA of even the healthiest person.

Indeed.

Any vaccine that requires me to sign a waiver is suspect. Especially if said waiver specifically names Guillain-Barre Syndrome as a completely possible "side effect". Yeah, side effects including paralysis or death.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Staxeon wrote: »

Indeed.

Any vaccine that requires me to sign a waiver is suspect. Especially if said waiver specifically names Guillain-Barre Syndrome as a completely possible "side effect". Yeah, side effects including paralysis or death.

LOL

Just stop while your ahead because your making your self look uninformed to say the least. This is like being afraid of going outside because of lightning. GBS is a 1 in 1,000,000 condition that is well know and easily treated and recoverable from. Any shot has the ability to cause problems but are you going to worry about the 1 in 1mil or the 1 in 10,000 possibility of being killed by the flu or lock jaw or what ever your getting the shot for. I bet you believed the "dystonia" cheerleader hey news flash it was not the shot! You need to sit down and read real peer-reviewed literature on the subject before you go spouting off stuff you have little understanding of.

What has needed to be said has been said and i think we should just lock the thread because its gone off topic far to many times! It will only end in a flame war.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
    edited February 2010

Indeed.

LOL

Just stop while your ahead because your making your self look uninformed to say the least. This is like being afraid of going outside because of lightning. GBS is a 1 in 1,000,000 condition that is well know and easily treated and recoverable from. Any shot has the ability to cause problems but are you going to worry about the 1 in 1mil or the 1 in 10,000 possibility of being killed by the flu or lock jaw or what ever your getting the shot for. I bet you believed the "dystonia" cheerleader hey news flash it was not the shot! You need to sit down and read real peer-reviewed literature on the subject before you go spouting off stuff you have little understanding of.

What has needed to be said has been said and i think we should just lock the thread because its gone off topic far to many times! It will only end in a flame war.

Wow, way to be a silly goose. I was being succinct, sorry if you interpreted that as uninformed.

Fact is, my kids brought home a waiver for me to sign from their school, stating that I could allow them to get the H1N1 vaccine (nasal or injected) if I waived all rights to pursue legal action against the school district and/or medical professionals if any side effects arose from the vaccine. Side effects were then listed on 2 pages front and back. Of all the other routine immunizations my children have had throughout their lives I've never been presented or had to sign such a waiver. This includes the battery of tests, treatments, and procedures my youngest had to endure due to what was eventually diagnosed as severe reflux (at 3 months old). Seeing a waiver like that come from a school set off red flags.

I won't be getting the H1N1 shot this season, nor will my family. I do plan on sneezing toward BigRed, and licking my palms prior to and after every handshake though.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Staxeon... Red is one of those freaks with a crazy immune system.

I was doctor confirmed pig flu victim at PAX 09. I shared cups/straws with Red. I coughed and sneezed at him. I sat in his chair. Shared my goldfish crackers with him... He did not get sick. He is a freak of nature.

Alatheia on
    edited February 2010
    If I make out with Red will I gain his power? Hell, I'd be a bottom if it meant getting crazy wolverine healing powers.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If I make out with Red will I gain his power? Hell, I'd be a bottom if it meant getting crazy wolverine healing powers.

Yes, yes you will... Just give me warning so I can have my camera ready :P

Alatheia on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    @Staxeon

That is because it is being done by a third party. The school is simply protecting them selfs from legal ramifications. If you were doing this through your primary care doctor you would probably not get such a forum. I am sorry but when people go on line and say oh you could get GBS from the shot then leave out you are more likely to get hit by lightning it sets off red flags that person is uninformed or ill informed.

Do what you want but reading some school flyer thats just to cover there butts and using that to make an "informed" medical decision for your family i find silly. Talk to doctors read peer-reviewed literature and most of all use common sense in flu prevention.

I have said my peace. This thread and rot in hell for all i care!

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to second the motion that this thread is locked because this is getting out of hand. People have their reasons for getting the vaccine and not getting the vaccine, and everyone should stop trying to convince people one way or the other. Getting vaccinated is a personal decision, and should be treated as such.

On another note, the way to gain someone's powers is to kill them and eat various body parts depending on what culture you're looking at. I think the brain is fairly popular, but eat brains at your own risk (you may get kuru O.O).

zezspecs on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    zezspecs wrote: »
    I'm going to second the motion that this thread is locked because this is getting out of hand. People have their reasons for getting the vaccine and not getting the vaccine, and everyone should stop trying to convince people one way or the other. Getting vaccinated is a personal decision, and should be treated as such.

Herd immunity is not a personal issue.

NotASenator on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    zezspecs wrote: »

Herd immunity is not a personal issue.

Yes, but the H1Nerd1 vaccine is a very controversial issue. While I am generally pro vaccination (vaccination defeated smallpox!), the H1N1 vaccine has a understandable storm of controversy around it with decent arguments pushing for both sides. I'd rather this thread not turn into a vaccination fight.

More on-topic, for those super worried, perfect time to do a Helghast cosplay, eh?
    2274563.jpg
    Nice excuse to wear a gas-mask around the convention center XD. I've actually also seen some really clever zombie-response costumes that utilize airfilters. I'd be tempted to do one since I think full body-cover costumes look awesome, but I imagine wearing a gasmask all day would be pretty uncomfortable.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    I treat my body like shit during conventions and still dont get sick.

I drank more snobawls last pax than water, didnt eat often, got little sleep, and even shared straws/cups with a ton of enforcers who did get sick.

Yeah... I think im fine without a flu shot.

you don't see the problem with this sentence

like at all

you wrote that down and didn't even consider thinking that you possibly carried it and were responsible for infecting them

amazing

L|ama on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    okay, we're done here

no need for another hygiene thread, either

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.