As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Global Agenda] Sci-fi TF2 with jetpacks but with fewer classes and fewer hats

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    On another note, Echo your new avatar is creeping me out. Disembodied Miyagi looks like an enemy from Doom 3 that never was.

I have a large collection of disembodied heads.

Uh, for avatars, I mean. Also, don't open my closet.

Echo on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have never gotten a blueprint, in all my time in beta and live. I'm beginning to think that I have a character flagged with "no blueprint drop" or something.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got an epic healing gun blueprint

Jasconius on
  • SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like the idea of this game but the gameplay videos I've watched were kind of meh. Maybe I should give this another look. I take it there's a lot of PA folks grouping up right now?

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Selecta wrote: »
    I like the idea of this game but the gameplay videos I've watched were kind of meh. Maybe I should give this another look. I take it there's a lot of PA folks grouping up right now?

Well a lot of us like it a lot and play regularly yes. As for not liking the videos, if you don't like shooters that are not entirely twitch based it might not be for you.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • FormalhouteFormalhoute Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    For the Doobsters who have new toons or guys who have new alts, if I'm on and I'm not doing AvA let me know and I'll team with you and wwe can run the Max Sec PvE. The XP is reliably better than PvP even if you lose and you'll make out like a bandit in rusty plates so you'll end up with more cash in the long run than in PvP too. Losses net you over 2k on average and if you finish with a bonus you can get over 4k, not sure if the XP is level dependent though.

Formalhoute on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this and decide if it's worth it without the subscription.

Sorry to be a silly goose.

It sounds like it's Borderlands with an additional match-making pvp piece. That right?
    We get to group up and fight NPCs and play through some sort of story with quests getting loot and stuff then go and queue up for PvP?

Sounds cool. If we join the PA guild that is doing this AvA stuff do we get the bonuses that the guild has gained from the open AvA?

What don't I get if my only PvP is in matches? It won't be like Planetside? It says I don't miss out on levels and items so what do you get from the AvA?

Does AvA get like Warhammer, all one sided or boring because no one is on?

Sorry for these questions. Their model is different enough that I'm not getting what the draw to pay them each month is.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm trying to wrap my head around this and decide if it's worth it without the subscription.

It sounds like it's Borderlands with an additional match-making pvp piece. That right?
    We get to group up and fight NPCs and play through some sort of story with quests getting loot and stuff then go and queue up for PvP?

Sounds cool. If we join the PA guild that is doing this AvA stuff do we get the bonuses that the guild has gained from the open AvA?

What don't I get if my only PvP is in matches? It won't be like Planetside? It says I don't miss out on levels and items so what do you get from the AvA?

Sorry for these questions. Their model is different enough that I'm not getting what the draw to pay them each month is.

It's not Borderlands at all. Borderlands had much, much better PvE. The PvE in this game is an afterthough that is acceptable for passing the time, but nothing to look forward to.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It's not Borderlands at all. Borderlands had much, much better PvE. The PvE in this game is an afterthough that is acceptable for passing the time, but nothing to look forward to.

Team Fortress 2 + XP + jetpack = Global Agenda in a nutshell.

Both PvP and AvA take place in "instances." Once you get into a match, you are teleported to a battle map. The goal of these maps vary from capturing Control Points to bombing the enemy base. Once a team wins, you're given xp depending on your performance and teleported back to "the Dome" where you queue up for another match or shop.

PvE is also instanced, but the goal is to blast your way to the bottom of a facility where you fight a "boss" to complete the map. Just like before, after your done you get teleported back to the Dome to queue for more missions or shop. There are several selectable levels of difficulty, and variations for the higher level players (some involving PvP elements).

In practice, the game really does play a LOT like TF2 with levels giving more ability options and slight statistic boosts. There's no open world exploring (yet). Don't let the RPG elements fool you, this game is very skill-based. If an awesome level 10 recon and a mediocre level 30 robo get in a fight, my money is on the recon every time.

Edit: i totally didn't answer your original questions:

AvA is (usually) balanced, as you can only bring 12 people on an attack. If the defenders can't field 12 people then I suppose they might not have a fun time AvAing, but that's what alliances are for. There is supposed to be opportunities for larger AvA matches coming.

At the end of a day, AvA is just a more organized form of PvP. There are some vehicles/weapons platforms you'll see used there, but it is still focused more on footsoldiers blowing eachother up. Might be worth the subscription later, but I don't see much point in it now. I'm enjoying the hell out of the base game just fine.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited February 2010
    Alright gangsters...

It's the weekend.

I'm getting some chinese food

a red bull

and we are doing damage

level 23 grenadier ready for administering the beatdown

Jasconius on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Be on tonight for Citadel, I should be around same time as last night and will run stuff if no one else is

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited February 2010
    So 6pm then? Super Team Assemble? I'm nearly 30 on my medic now. I'll try to get that last bit before 6.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Citadel has been super fun these past two nights.

815165 on
    edited February 2010
    Probably wont be on at 6PM.. ill be late but available... I prefer the 9PM slot.

Jasconius on
    edited February 2010
    Alright my curiosity got the better of me and I picked this up. Looking forward to killing some mans with you dudes. Will be Selecta in game.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    edited February 2010
    Citadel is the 9pm est slot

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • OrigamiOrigami Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Huge post about upcoming AvA stuff with some new info about the upcoming PvE content at the bottom.

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=170&t=14649&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Origami on
    edited February 2010
    i said 6 because i am PST.

Elimination on
    edited February 2010
    Who's the person to talk to for an agency invite?

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
  • Butterfly BoyButterfly Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Enders, Effeh, Mandalorian.

Why was this removed from the OP?

Butterfly Boy on
  • Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Enders, Effeh, Mandalorian.

Why was this removed from the OP?

Unless we've reigned in the policy, members can also invite to agency, so just /w anyone in KCHS and they should be able to get someone through the agency channel.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Butterfly BoyButterfly Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You mean all 2 of them that Mandalore hasn't demoted?

Butterfly Boy on
  • KyllanKyllan Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Heya all,
    I post on here maybe once every 6 months or so but anyway I just got the game and getting started tonight. Name in-game is Azryel. I'll try to bully someone in there to invite me but I figured I'd stop by here first.

Kyllan on
    kylraen.pngKyllan.png
  • Eff-ehEff-eh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Team FA finishes the night with a 100% victory rate. GJ all.

Eff-eh on
    edited February 2010
    I had a lot of fun.

I understand some peoples frustration with the numbers and having 2-4 people always being the odd man out.

The thing is that our guild composition does not jive with the rules of this game very well at all, as it pertains to forming alliances. Even when we get the numbers for two SF's, usually the second one has 2-4 people who were just on for 30 minutes anyway, or are under-leveled, and that really turns AvA into nothing special at all.

As someone pointed out, this is standard operating procedure for Penny Arcade guilds in MMO's. I've been in several, and the answer so far has NEVER been to just separate the population. It creates interpersonal problems and simply is not healthy.

Barring us finding some like-minded agency who would want to mutually fuck around with people the way we do to Tribe, my answer would be to just hold out until 4v4 and 10v10 ladders make it into the game in some form. That way if the numbers aren't there for two solid competitive SF's, at least you can get by on one-off ranked matches.

Also, leveling up alts so that when we DO get numbers for two groups, we can have some flexibility to make the best group composition to make that second SF competitive.

One of the virtues of this game is that for the most part, alts are not "second class citizens". Play what you enjoy, and hopefully you enjoy more than one class.

Jasconius on
  • WigzWigz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Be on tonight for Citadel, I should be around same time as last night and will run stuff if no one else is

I will attempt to bring 'LULZ ROCKETZ'

Wigz on
    edited February 2010
    Wigz wrote: »

That was for last night when no one showed hth

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited February 2010

Yeah... Friday night... was out. If I could only queue for 'Scramble' with this assault build, I would. There's nothing quite as satisfying as clearing the point and only seeing blue text.

Wigz on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, starting to get the hang of Recon. Sniping takes a bit of a knack with the relatively slow projectile, but I'm liking the class overall. It is nice to be able to switch between pressure/support with the rifle and causing havoc with stealth.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • MifioMifio MrrlendRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What timezone is the majority of this agency?

Mifio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010

Yeah... Friday night... was out. If I could only queue for 'Scramble' with this assault build, I would. There's nothing quite as satisfying as clearing the point and only seeing blue text.

The grenade launcher is so much better than the rocket launcher for that.

Jasconius on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    It's Wigz's patented three grenade and a rocket combo which tends to get results. :^:

815165 on
    edited February 2010
    ok but the rocket doesn't do much more damage than the grenades and you can empty your entire power pool with it WHILE you throw your offhand grenades

grenade launcher is way better burst. you just have to know how to aim it.

Jasconius on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »

grenade launcher doesn't light them on fire, and does half damage per normal hit anyway.

but yes it can shoot faster.

Morkath on
  • Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As someone who has been shot at by both, I have to say the rocket launcher is a joke against my turret, and the grenades make a much bigger dent. On the flip side, rockets kill me much more effectively than easy to dodge/avoid grenades.

So... a point could be made for both?

Mandalorian Rooster on
    edited February 2010
    The point of the grenade launcher is that you can have about 3 fired grenades and 2-3 offhands go off within a second or 2 of each other.

And then 2-3 more fired grenades for cleanup a second later.

You lead with EMP, which is always a timed grenade, start firing your launcher grenades, throw the incendiary as soon as possible.

The incendiary should get there right when the EMP is going off along with all if your fired grenades for hilarity.

Jasconius on
    edited February 2010
    The Grenade launcher is less accurate I find. I really like the Magmalance for 'Rocket Arena' style killing.

Wigz on
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WTF this game looks just like Tribes!!!!

Nostalgia boner!

What class do you guys need?!

hjparcins on
    edited February 2010
    hjparcins wrote: »
    WTF this game looks just like Tribes!!!!

Nostalgia boner!

What class do you guys need?!

You can pretty much be whatever you want at this point, most of us more dedicated players are all working on Alts already.

Elimination on