As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Women, basketball, hos and radio hosts

• The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirToons wrote: »
    Some of the dumbest butt to happen in this country in a long time, I'm not surprised Al Sharpton has a part in it.

I also don't think nappy-headed is any way shape or form a racist comment. But maybe that's just the way the word nappy is used around here, all to do with hair, nothing to do with race.

I am ashamed to be American the past week.
    Yes, it is good that you understand what is racist or not better than the people who are the targets of the discrimination. When would they know what to be properly offended about if it wasn't for you?

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    scottman wrote: »
    While much of this is of such double standardized pontification, I really only have one hope.....
    Care to point out the double standard, scott?

• TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    None that I know of, but rappers occupy a far greater portion of the public eye and say far, far worse. I know for a fact that there are plenty of women who hate being thought of as objects and/or "hoes". And yet I haven't seen a rapper get fired over these kinds of issues. And they shouldn't, because they have a right to express how they feel, even if they're a douchebag. It's an unfortunate side effect of free speech, but one that needs to remain unless we want to go down the slippery slope into a nanny state.
    Rappers don't work for salary. Nice try, though.

I don't quite get your point. How does the way you earn your pay have an impact on what offensive remarks you're allowed to make?

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, so maybe the guy is racist, I plead ignorance on him.

So I guess he did deserve to be fired.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I put witch-hunt in quotes for a reason. I never said that racists were innocent and I do know that racism in the workplace is illegal. However, firing people from their jobs and hunting people down for making an offhand remark doesn't make that person less racist. In fact, I'd imagine Don Imus has even more animus towards people now than ever. This doesn't take the racist off the streets, it makes it worse.

Racism is a big deal, yeah. However, the more attention paid to it over the slightest comment or remark, the more it's going to be popular to say a racist thing in the limelight. This attracts attention, and more and more people will be doing this for popularity.

I do think that there are more important issues than just racism. How about "hate" as a whole? Why focus on just racism? There's bigotry towards tons of different groups of people, you should be defending them instead of focusing all your firepower on one remark from a stupid old white man.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • scottmanscottman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    While much of this is of such double standardized pontification, I really only have one hope....

White Entertainment Network, where all the whites may feel a little better about them selves by refering to themselves in degrading terms... And then when some person of any other skin color calls some white group by a semi-racist term we can demand heads on platters, romping about barking about dignity, self-pride and the racism spewing from the networks.

You should totally set up a Caucasian Celebration Society at your college.

I think it would take to much heat for leveling the playing field. However I recently was implored by an economics teacher of mine (more of a civics class if you ask me) to start a Caucasian Celebration Club -- why not go through with this? Its simple really, I value my white skinned body too much to allow it to be beaten by the members of my society which cannot grasp the beauty of it all.

scottman on
    edited April 2007
    Some of the dumbest butt to happen in this country in a long time, I'm not surprised Al Sharpton has a part in it.

I also don't think nappy-headed is any way shape or form a racist comment. But maybe that's just the way the word nappy is used around here, all to do with hair, nothing to do with race.

Yes, it is good that you understand what is racist or not better than the people who are the targets of the discrimination. When would they know what to be properly offended about if it wasn't for you?
    Yes yes be a smarmy asshole. That'll make me care about some college basketball team's players more.

Now for another week about how they are meeting him behind close doors and Al Sharpton jumping in front of as many cameras as possible.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited April 2007
    None that I know of, but rappers occupy a far greater portion of the public eye and say far, far worse. I know for a fact that there are plenty of women who hate being thought of as objects and/or "hoes". And yet I haven't seen a rapper get fired over these kinds of issues. And they shouldn't, because they have a right to express how they feel, even if they're a douchebag. It's an unfortunate side effect of free speech, but one that needs to remain unless we want to go down the slippery slope into a nanny state.

I don't quite get your point. How does the way you earn your pay have an impact on what offensive remarks you're allowed to make?
    Because record sales are different than a salaried, syndicated, regular position. Musical popularity comes and goes, whereas the radio position is ostensibly unending, and the same people complaining about Imus' comments also complain about the content of rap music, only the only way they can complain there is to advocate that people don't buy the records, which they do advocate, which is the only way to exert pressure on the public prominence of musical figures, as opposed to a permanent position like a radio DJ who they can demand be removed, so what the fuck is your point again?

• ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Racism is a big deal, yeah. However, the more attention paid to it over the slightest comment or remark, the more it's going to be popular to say a racist thing in the limelight. This attracts attention, and more and more people will be doing this for popularity.

.. Your logic astounds me. Someone loses their job over a racist remark and you think people will be leaping out and doing the same?

Æthelred wrote: »
    While much of this is of such double standardized pontification, I really only have one hope....

White Entertainment Network, where all the whites may feel a little better about them selves by refering to themselves in degrading terms... And then when some person of any other skin color calls some white group by a semi-racist term we can demand heads on platters, romping about barking about dignity, self-pride and the racism spewing from the networks.

I think it would take to much heat for leveling the playing field. However I recently was implored by an economics teacher of mine (more of a civics class if you ask me) to start a Caucasian Celebration Club -- why not go through with this? Its simple really, I value my white skinned body too much to allow it to be beaten by the members of my society which cannot grasp the beauty of it all.

I hope everyone else who read the last thread on this is having a massive lol here.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited April 2007
    While much of this is of such double standardized pontification, I really only have one hope.....

I think it should be a prerequisite to be able to put simple puzzles together before using the internet. I mean honestly if you cant find it just hit alt+f4 a bunch of times unplug your computer and go outside.

scottman on
    edited April 2007

Yes yes be a smarmy asshole. That'll make me care about some college basketball team's players more.

Now for another week about how they are meeting him behind close doors and Al Sharpton jumping in front of as many cameras as possible.
    No no, but that's what you said -- "I don't see why black people are upset about this, there's nothing racist about it."

It's been explained in this thread, and it's not like straight-haired Sharpton is the only black person upset. So ... are you going to continue saying that you know better than black people as to what is racist, or are you going to admit that the very large number of people upset about this comment might have a point?

edited April 2007
    AEthelred wrote: »

I hope everyone else who read the last thread on this is having a massive lol here.
    Honestly I'm fairly certain it's the same guy, or at least a friend of his.

edited April 2007

I think it should be a prerequisite to be able to put simple puzzles together before using the internet. I mean honestly if you cant find it just hit alt+f4 a bunch of times unplug your computer and go outside.
    I do puzzles quite frequently scott, many different varieties. Care to point out the double standard now?

edited April 2007
    Haha, sorry if I've never heard the words nappy-headed with any sort of racist connotation.

I already said he should of been fired because the word apparently does have racist undertones.

Black people black people white people, black people.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
    edited April 2007

.. Your logic astounds me. Someone loses their job over a racist remark and you think people will be leaping out and doing the same?

Okay, lol all you want(even if it's not really that funny).

For anyone curious: Scott goes to my high school as well.

Anyways, what I meant was people will be going out and getting their 15 seconds of fame for making an offhand remark about anyone.

I still don't see why homophobia doesn't get as much of the spotlight as racism does, and it's just as prevalent, and just as much of a problem. I guess people really only care about race....which is just such bullshit.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited April 2007
    You've got the quotes the wrong way around there celery; can you fix them so people don't think I'm a knob? Ta. Good work on this thread btw. I think it's pretty much a microcosm of the 'debate' - 15 pages of people complaining about attacks on a racist. Who are the ones making the fuss again?
    Anyways, what I meant was people will be going out and getting their 15 seconds of fame for making an offhand remark about anyone.

Why are you convinced this sacking has changed the racial landscape of America? Someone could just as easily get their 'fame' by calling a basketball player a jumped up n*****.

Æthelred on
    edited April 2007

I do puzzles quite frequently scott, many different varieties. Care to point out the double standard now?

-- this is better then wheres waldo, oh wait can I say that? Maybe I should say "Where's Aiesha"...

(i like those puzzles with the like slidey things and then u make the picture after u slide them around there so fun kekeke ^_^)

scottman on
    edited April 2007
    I'm convinced that it's just another step towards making a kid-gloved, politically-correct, robotic society where we can't say anything about anyone. All conversations should be stilted, insults should not exist.

See where I'm going here? Wait, maybe you won't. People should be able to say what they want about other people in the media and not get attacked on all sides for it.

That is all.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited April 2007
    People should be able to say what they want about other people in the media and not get attacked on all sides for it.

You're saying people shouldn't be able to complain? You do realise that that would be stifling free speech? :|:|:|

Æthelred on
  • TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Because record sales are different than a salaried, syndicated, regular position. Musical popularity comes and goes, whereas the radio position is ostensibly unending, and the same people complaining about Imus' comments also complain about the content of rap music, only the only way they can complain there is to advocate that people don't buy the records, which they do advocate, which is the only way to exert pressure on the public prominence of musical figures, as opposed to a permanent position like a radio DJ who they can demand be removed, so what the fuck is your point again?

With the right laws, the music industry could be regulated to the point where any musician that created material deemed racist by enough people could be blacklisted and barred from ever having CD's produced by labels.

The problem here is that "material deemed racist" eventually turns into "material deemed offensive", and it only gets more subjective from that point on.

I respect your convictions against racism, but the problem here is that your beef with public racism in the media is hopelessly intertwined with larger issues (media censorship, free speech, etc.) There is no "freedom as long as you're not being a racist or a douche", it just can't work that way, and this is why I can't agree with your methods, even though I understand your arguments behind them.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
    edited April 2007
    People should be able to say what they want about other people in the media and not get attacked on all sides for it.

You're saying people shouldn't be able to complain? You do realise that that would be stifling free speech? :|:|:|

You do realize that firing him from his job over one offhand remark(after 20 years of them allowing it) is also stifling free speech? It is. It's saying "you can say this this and this but not this, even if you're allowed to do so through the Constitution."

It goes both ways, man.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One of the things that bothers me about this whole controversy is the lionization of athletes. Why do we put so much value in the ability to THROW A BALL?! Imus slings mud at poets and writers, individuals who make profound and lasting contributions to civilization, and it barely makes a blip on the radar. Imus makes a crass comment about some basketball players, and it's suddenly World War III! Where the hell are our priorities? Why are we paying people millions to THROW A BALL, and giving teachers, fire fighters, nurses, and other pillars of our society just enough money to survive?

Fuck the basketball, baseball, hockey, football, soccer, and jai alai players. When Imus insults somebody IMPORTANT, let me know.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
    edited April 2007

You do realize that firing him from his job over one offhand remark(after 20 years of them allowing it) is also stifling free speech? It is. It's saying "you can say this this and this but not this, even if you're allowed to do so through the Constitution."

It goes both ways, man.

Hey celery, I guess it does come up every page. Look: you have a right to free speech. You do not have a right to be free from consequences that come from what you say. Furthermore, the Constitutional 'free speech' is only concerned with government oppression - I'm perfectly free to call you a dick if you've said something that offends me.

Æthelred on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    His network supported him. His listeners supported him. He was only fired after his sponsors feared a political attack from people who are not involved in the show at all.

That's why this is a freedom of speech issue, to some extent. If his listeners just stopped listening because of what he said, that would be different. This was a power play by politicians that had nothing to do with him or his show or his audience.

Yar on
    edited April 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    One of the things that bothers me about this whole controversy is the lionization of athletes. Why do we put so much value in the ability to THROW A BALL?! Imus slings mud at poets and writers, individuals who make profound and lasting contributions to civilization, and it barely makes a blip on the radar. Imus makes a crass comment about some basketball players, and it's suddenly World War III! Where the hell are our priorities? Why are we paying people millions to THROW A BALL, and giving teachers, fire fighters, nurses, and other pillars of our society just enough money to survive?

Fuck the basketball, baseball, hockey, football, soccer, and jai alai players. When Imus insults somebody IMPORTANT, let me know.

hold on a minute! we cant have meaningful arguments.... sigh when are people gonna learn only rappers, hip-hop artists, pop culture, and sports mean anything. duhhhh

;-)

scottman on
    edited April 2007
    With the right laws, the music industry could be regulated to the point where any musician that created material deemed racist by enough people could be blacklisted and barred from ever having CD's produced by labels.
    No but see -- that would be barring free speech. Placing public pressure on a commercial institution to remove a controversial figure is not barring free speech, its placing public pressure on a commercial institution to achieve what you want. That is what not buying bad rap music is, and advocating that others not buy it as well. In the case of a radio figure, you advocate for his removal and threaten a boycott of his advertisers. When the advertisers pull out, the broadcaster must decide if they want to continue airing a radio figure who can't get air play. That's what happened here, public pressure on a commercial institution. Rappers are paid via record sales, so you attack the record sales, radio personalities are paid via advertising and their broadcasters, so you target their advertisers and their broadcaster.

It's like -- hey, new page, gotta say it again -- NO ONE IS ADVOCATING A LAW AGAINST WHAT HE SAID. Man ... jeez ... this is just getting dumber by the page.

edited April 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    His network supported him. His listeners supported him. He was only fired after his sponsors feared a political attack from people who are not involved in the show at all.
    Yar, you're a moron. His network fired him, how the fuck is that supporting him again?

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    I'm convinced that it's just another step towards making a kid-gloved, politically-correct, robotic society where we can't say anything about anyone. All conversations should be stilted, insults should not exist.

See where I'm going here? Wait, maybe you won't. People should be able to say what they want about other people in the media and not get attacked on all sides for it.

That is all.
    Are you honestly saying that it's unreasonable to criticize someone in the public eye for saying something stupid and racist?

That's fucking retarded.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2007
    Supported, not supporting. Learn to read.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yar, you're a moron. His network fired him, how the fuck is that supporting him again?
    Maybe you ought to familiarize yourself with this issue a little more before you call people morons.

CBS came out initially in his defense. The firing only occurred after the sponsors caved to political pressure.

Read.
    At first, CBS stood by Imus, who has built his career as a shock jock. But after major sponsors including General Motors, Staples and Procter & Gamble withdrew their advertising Wednesday, CBS took the final step.

Yar on
    edited April 2007
    Soooooo ... you're saying that they fired him, so they didn't actually support him. Thanks for updating me.

edited April 2007
    No but see -- that would be barring free speech. Placing public pressure on a commercial institution to remove a controversial figure is not barring free speech, i...........radio personalities are paid via advertising and their broadcasters, so you target their advertisers and their broadcaster.

It's like -- hey, new page, gotta say it again -- NO ONE IS ADVOCATING A LAW AGAINST WHAT HE SAID. Man ... jeez ... this is just getting dumber by the page.

If we really wish to get dumb with it[/] here is some help on the free speech thing:

Congress shall make no law respectin' an establishment uh religion, o' prohibitin' de free 'esercise dereof; o' abridgin' de freedom uh speech, o' uh de press; o' de right uh de sucka's peaceably t'assemble, and t'petishun de Guv'ment fo' some redress uh grievances.

--- just thought the Jive translation would be of use.

scottman on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »

Try this. Can't guarantee who you may or may not think is "important," but there are some non-athletes in there.

mcdermott on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No but see -- that would be barring free speech. Placing public pressure on a commercial institution to remove a controversial figure is not barring free speech, i...........radio personalities are paid via advertising and their broadcasters, so you target their advertisers and their broadcaster.

If we really wish to get dumb with it[/] here is some help on the free speech thing:

Congress shall make no law respectin' an establishment uh religion, o' prohibitin' de free 'esercise dereof; o' abridgin' de freedom uh speech, o' uh de press; o' de right uh de sucka's peaceably t'assemble, and t'petishun de Guv'ment fo' some redress uh grievances.

This is going to end well.

Savant on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007

You really are a moron.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007

See where I'm going here?

Moron City.

He has a right to say whatever he wants, and I have a right to call him a dipshit and vote with my dollar by pressuring his sponsors.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I'm loving how saying someone is stupid is now a worthy argument.

No one has the right to fire him from his job over this.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2007
    Maybe you ought to familiarize yourself with this issue a little more before you call people morons.

CBS came out initially in his defense. The firing only occurred after the sponsors caved to political pressure.

Read.
    At first, CBS stood by Imus, who has built his career as a shock jock. But after major sponsors including General Motors, Staples and Procter & Gamble withdrew their advertising Wednesday, CBS took the final step.

Why should we value network and listener more than sponsors' support? After all, they're paying for his show.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I'm loving how saying someone is stupid is now a worthy argument.

No one has the right to fire him from his job over this.
    Really? His employers don't have a right to fire him? While calling you stupid might not be a worthy argument, it's still true (and probably still polite at this point, because I mean you're really dumb).

Also the other people are nicer to your friend scott -- he's not just a moron, all signs point to him being a racist as well.

edited April 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

If we really wish t.....ht uh de sucka's peaceably t'assemble, and t'petishun de Guv'ment fo' some redress uh grievances.

You really are a moron.

Perhaps ya' should 'espand yo' mind and use some oda' fo'm uh insults besides dojigger callin' :D? Afta' all ain't dat whut dis about -- "he called me some nappy haided ho! Preach it loud, bruddah!! Right on!, ah' wants' mah' mommy" :lol:

scottman on