As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LG 42" LCD TV - Picture Shaking (solvedish, lock please)

CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
Right now I have my cable box hooked up via hdmi cable to my LG tv. I've never had any issues with it until the last few days, when I noticed that the picture appears to be shaking or shifting up and down. Not a huge shift, but certainly a few pixels (enough that you can see it's doing it). I've had this TV since around last april, and haven't had any issues previously. I've tried resetting my cable box, as well as running the picture setup on the TV; neither had any effect. Has anyone else had a problem like this, or know how I can fix it?

I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
Crashtard on

• GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know.

"I've had the same problem on my SA8300HDC connected to my 52" LG LCD TV.

The problem is the pixels literally shift up and down on the y axis by 1-2 pixels. It creates a visual effect that makes the whole screen look like it's shaking.

Like denec, the only way I've found to absolutely correct it is to reboot the box. It appears to be a problem with the video scaler in the units. The latest software update from TWC here in NC did make it appear less frequently but it's still not completely fixed.

Also, if you have your unit set to HDMI/DVI Auto and have 480i/p enabled as resolutions, changing the channel from a non-HD channel to a regular channel will sometimes fix it also. The video mode switching appears to kick it in the pants in the right place sometimes."

Is something I found. But it sounds like you already tried resetting your box. So................. I dunno.

Greenleaf on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I did some googling and had found that, but it hasn't helped. I'm watching basketball right now and it's super annoying..

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Its probably a feature of the TV to prevent image burn. Check out your manual/menu tree. It would be called image or pixel shift

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited February 2010
    I'll check that out. The weird thing is that it just started doing it after about 10 months. If that's a "feature" of the tv though.. worst feature ever.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    image/pixel shifting doesn't make much sense on LCD TVs, so unless they just use the exact same software across LCD/Plasma TVs that sounds unlikely.

Zell on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Its probably a feature of the TV to prevent image burn. Check out your manual/menu tree. It would be called image or pixel shift

Other possible names include Orbiter or Screen Protection.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    To me that sounds like it's now showing some picture interlaced. My cable box recently reverted to 1080i for whatever reason and I had a similar issue. The interlaced picture does every other line, so if you're close, or your eyes are sensitive, you can see it "moving" up and down by a pixel.

Make sure any input device is set to output in either 720p or 1080p, and not 480i or 1080i.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you can see your picture shaking in 1080i (or 480i), and you are sitting on the couch away from your TV, then there is something wrong with your TV. Truth be told if you're sitting really close to your TV and you see shaking there is something wrong.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Setting it to 'just scan' in picture/input controls doesn't help, does it?

I may very well have the same TV (I know they have at least two 42" LCD 1080p HDTVs so I may very well not) but I haven't had trouble with mine. That said, I also just set it to just-scan (LG's equivalent of 1:1 pixel:pixel mapping) and only ever have mine connected to a computer.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for all of the replies so far. I checked everything I could that was posted, and so far it hasn't made a difference. I did some cable swapping last night and determined that there isn't anything wrong with my tv. I tried plugging the cable box into every HDMI input, and it didn't make any difference. I called comcast and they are going to have a tech come check things out to make sure everything is ok. Thanks for all the help!

This thread can be locked.

Crashtard on

Crashtard.jpg
  • xXIrishCowboyXxxXIrishCowboyXx Registered User new member
    Crashtard wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies so far. I checked everything I could that was posted, and so far it hasn't made a difference. I did some cable swapping last night and determined that there isn't anything wrong with my tv. I tried plugging the cable box into every HDMI input, and it didn't make any difference. I called comcast and they are going to have a tech come check things out to make sure everything is ok. Thanks for all the help!

This thread can be locked.

did you ever find out what was going on? I'm having the exact same issue. I know it's not my tv because it only happens on some channels. I've seen it shake for commercials on one channel and not shake for the same commercials on a different channel. Started after our power went out in the ice storm.

• tvshaketvshake Registered User new member
    Found a solution! For me it was the overdrive feature, disabled it and the shaking stopped. Very old thread but hope it helps someone out!