As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Clean Thread

• Options
    HoovesHooves Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am a neat freak at heart but I am also very lazy. this presents a sort of conundrum

that I have solved by resolving to own almost nothing. at its messiest my place takes about 5 minutes to clean.

Hooves on
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    My place always looks really messy, but it takes about 20 minutes at most to clean up.

Scrum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so what is with people complaining that showers are hard to clean? here's how you clean a shower:

step 1: turn shower on
    step 2: there is no step 2 shower is now clean

Hooves on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    maybe squirt some dish soap into the tub while the shower is running or something

Hooves on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Graves wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    I am a semi clean person that most people would call unclean I think

ditto.

Also what can you dump into the garbage from a bong?

Ash?

Gross water?

everything goes in the toilet

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Under no set of circumstances will I ever live without a dishwasher again.

I have found no mark on anything I have put in there and its results are much much better than I ever achieved when I washed up by hand. And I fucking wanted my stuff clean as heck so its not for want of trying. Want of skill? Maybe.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I absolutely need to clean today. I feel gross and the apartment feels gross.

I did a bit of dishes and am trying to get off my butt to pick the clothes off the floor in my room. While my boyfriend snores in a mound of blankets.

Happy Valentines Day!

related: Does anyone know how much it costs to rent a rug cleaner from Home Depot or whatever?

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Janson do you know a proper way to clean makeup brushes, by the way? I think I am doing it wrong and I kinda don't wanna ruin my expensive brushes D:

Baby shampoo. or MAC brush cleaner, it's like 10 bucks for a giant bottle.

Always tilt down when you wash, so you don't get water up into the silver part and rot the glue. Deep cleaning once a week, spot cleaning when you feel necessary. Shape when wet and dry flat, preferably on a towel so the bristles aren't touching anything.

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube, but this is just a step by step of what I do:

1. I spray my Sephora brush cleaner on them, put under tepid water, get soapy and swirl on a paper towel. I repeat til it's clean.
    2. Rinse and squeeze out excess water.
    3. Shape and dry.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm the type that if my floor is clean, I'm content.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    my room is bizarrely messy after having a valentines meal with my girlfriend

I'm sitting here like 'I cleaned you yesterday'

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    bent wrote: »

Was there something that happened after the valentines meal? :winky:

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    laundry fight!

Hooves on
  • Options
    iplaybassiplaybass Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I actually enjoy cleaning, I just enjoy too many other things much more. Plus, my standards of cleanliness are much lower than the normal.

But when I do finally get off my ass to do shit I usually do a damn thorough job. There is something really satisfying about a clean domicile.

iplaybass on
    fsradiosig.jpg
    R.I.P.
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feriluce wrote: »
    bent wrote: »

Was there something that happened after the valentines meal? :winky:

we both got very drunk

I can only assume she trashed the place

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    elaine_honeywellelaine_honeywell Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have cleaned myself, our room, and bass tidied up the kitchen. Minimal effort, max comfort and results.

elaine_honeywell on
    - I...AM...RUUUUUUDE!
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i kind of cleaned my room just now?
    its a lot better than before

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One time my roommate came home and he was all 'I thought you said you were going to clean the apartment'

and I was all

'uhh, I did'

Hooves on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mmmmm, a new apartment. Pristine and unsullied. Now begins the long decay into the dump that my old place was. Every time I walk in the door I stop and think, "It will never look this good ever again."

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hooves wrote: »
    so what is with people complaining that showers are hard to clean? here's how you clean a shower:

step 1: turn shower on
    step 2: there is no step 2 shower is now clean

Do you actually, like, shower in your shower? Just running water over it doesn't wash off all the soap scum and all the dirt that accumulates in it.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know that I was just making a joke about how lazy I am.

Hooves on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh fooey. Our house got messy again overnight. Godsdamn it. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN.

elaine_honeywell on
    - I...AM...RUUUUUUDE!
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh fooey. Our house got messy again overnight. Godsdamn it. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN.

I used to tell my mum it was faeries when I was a kid. She didn't fall for it.

Having a cat is an constant cleaning problem, those roller brushes with the sticky tape on them are a fantastic invention for removing hairs from clothes.

Liiya on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Having two cats has pretty much killed my vaccum cleaning. I'm going to need something with a bit more...oomph.

My apartment is generally pretty clean. Cluttered, from time to time (more so in the bedroom) but never that bad. It can't be. Small space living means it has to be clean or fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think you're better off with clutter and fire hazard than mold/dirt/food mess/biohazard. I've had roommates of both kinds and I FAR prefer stacks of books, clothes and papers to ashtrays full of moldy leftovers, petrified milk in glasses and intelligent life developing in the shower.

elaine_honeywell on
    - I...AM...RUUUUUUDE!
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Because I don't know if you've ever seen a Welshman's lung, but the damn things look like an after school special.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know! After the big 4 hour clean up (for, what, a 150 sq ft apartment? I mean this place is seriously tiny) on Friday I've just spent an hour today tidying and cleaning, and I just ran a hand along one of the shelves and it's already covered in dust!
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Having two cats has pretty much killed my vaccum cleaning. I'm going to need something with a bit more...oomph.

My apartment is generally pretty clean. Cluttered, from time to time (more so in the bedroom) but never that bad. It can't be. Small space living means it has to be clean or fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    Yes! And small spaces are also harder to keep clean in the sense that you have just one or two things out of place and it looks a mess.

Janson on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    my favorite instance of drunken hijinks was neville's birthday

everyone got destroyed that night

i was drunk and high out of my mind and helped keep a cat together all night until like 4

i fell asleep and got woke up by neville

he needed my help immediately. our one roommate from ohio walked to his doorway, dropped his pants and neville looked on, dazed and confused

and started pissing all over his floor

after cleaning up two literal buckets full of puke that night, i was so goddamn tired but it had to be done. we had to take care of that piss that started in the hallway and ended on nevs' floor

it was a good thing neville got a shamwow for his birthday

i think our only response the following that morning after was "what the fuck happened"

and "ryan is banned from drinking in this house"

Don't forget about Ryan blaming ME for the incident, since I told him to "drink with us" :S
    Logic: :arrow:

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    neville!

you look different!

did you do something with your hair?

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    .. coincidentally, I did get a haircut (and color) today.
    But yeah, I got rid of my last av, needed a change back to the moogle bodysuit.

Cleaning my room is tough. It's never dirty (I'm a gay, for heaven sakes) but the last place I lived there was a TON of space. This house...not so much.
    After living in a place for 10 years, one accrues... things.
    So I have a ton of furniture, clothes, dishes, etc... and moved into a house which needs much less.

Probably moving into a new and super nice house in a few months when our lease here is up, so hopefully I'll have more room to spread out my stuff.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man.

My damn apartment.

Clean for like three weeks at a time, and then for a week it's a total disaster.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My place is clean like half the time. The other time is total don't give a fuck mode.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i wonder if i could find a studio apartment for less that i have this 1 br for

this often feels like too much space

Raneados on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Studio apartments are awesome when it comes to cleaning since the less surface area the less cleaning there is to do. It's a great idea, unless you have people over often.

Because the couch people sit on is also your bed. ...Awkward. But on the flip side that makes it easier to get the ladies into your bed <winky>

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i'm moving soon, so every time I think about cleaning my apartment I just kinda shrug and ignore it

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My fridge is full of empty pizza boxes, empty soda 12 packs, empty Corona 6 packs, empty plastic water cases, no more than three half full plastic containers of "mystery sludge", half a container of ranch dip, and some Hilshire farms lil smokies.

Is this considered messy?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    how do you have empty six packs

like the rings? or do you put your empties in the fridge?

in related news what the fuck is wrong with you take out your trash

satansfingers on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i don't think i've ever cleaned anything

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    cleaning isn't very metal

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Coronas come in a cardboard thing.

My fridge situation honestly didn't bother me until now. No clue what the hell I was thinking.

I defer to being a young bachelor...
    I'll clean my fridge out when I get home

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll get on a cleaning frenzy about once a month, but the fireplace seems to always have ash in it. After a few weeks of no fires I cleaned it out only to have another fire the day after. Screw it, it's not getting cleaned until May.

John Matrix on