As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AvP 2010 - Demo is out, Wangland-Yutani Steam Group now active

• Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I restarted Steam and now it is letting me download AvP. So either it's now available or they are letting me preload super late.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    my gamestop has the regular editions in, but not the hunter (they'll get them tomorrow.)

I was on the fence about getting the hunter i had reserved anyway, so this works as I'll just be getting the regular.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ProtoSound wrote: »
    I restarted Steam and now it is letting me download AvP. So either it's now available or they are letting me preload super late.

DLing now. I'm hoping it gets done before I leave for work in 2 hours, but chances are I'll have to wait until after work before it is done.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Damn it. Went to Gamestop and they said it's coming out tomorrow at noon. I paid it all off.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Grabbed a copy (PS3) at Best Buy this morning. So far I've played a little of both the Predator and Marine campaigns...really, it's basically an updated version of the previous two games. If you were a fan of those, you'll like this. It all comes down to whether or not you like the movies and characters. If you're not a Predator fan, you probably won't think much about cloaking and jumping the fuck around a bunch of clueless Marines and causing them to shit their pants while they watch their comrades get torn apart.

The Marine campaign appropriately captures, at least thus far, the sense of "What the fuck is that OMG FIRE FIRE FIRE" that the other games had. The graphics aren't exactly top notch, but at least thus far, it has the atmosphere and captures the essence of the previous games and movies very well.

EDIT: Also, the first Xeno encounter as a Marine is pretty damn chaotic. They really got the movement of the Alien down.

cr0w on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I honestly don't care about SP even a little

I thought it was poor in the other AvP games as well. This is pretty much a MP franchise in my eyes

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm the exact opposite. If I could go my entire life without playing a game online, I would be perfectly happy. Had my fill of other gamers after 3 years of WoW. The only multiplayer shooters I've ever enjoyed were Soldier of Fortune II and Battlefield Vietnam, since a group of guys from here made the latter hilariously fun.

cr0w on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I originally cared little for the MP and was going to pick it up for the SP. After playing the demo that has reversed, playing a pack of xenos with friends and stalking others is amazing fun.

Glal on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As long as it's a game where I can utterly crush one of those mouth-breathers under my iron heel (SF4, for instance), horrible online culture is a good thing

If you're expected to work together with them, the game can fuck off and die

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The size install indicates its 15gb.. jeezus

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Changed my order for the 360 version from shopto to zavvi since it's £4 cheaper (£32.99) and got an email saying it's shipped. Zavvi's FAQ says 2-3 days for delivery though, but I'm hoping it'll arrive a day early at least. Was so tempted to get the hunter edition but it's essentially double the price and I need to save for pax. Hopefully I don't get shunned by everyone else on the wanglandyutani tag for not having the two extra survival maps! Assuming they get released for plebs soon and are reasonably priced I'll probably pick them up and still come out ahead.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    Gin Soacked BoyGin Soacked Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No preload avaiable for me it seems. Silly Europe.

Gin Soacked Boy on
    Under the influence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Called my wife and had her click to install the game on steam for me so it will be there when I get home from work, but she said it popped up saying steam servers are too busy and to try again later :( Guess I'll have her attempt again in a couple hours. Never seen that message before though, not even the day DA:O came out.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mike99TA wrote: »
    Called my wife and had her click to install the game on steam for me so it will be there when I get home from work, but she said it popped up saying steam servers are too busy and to try again later :( Guess I'll have her attempt again in a couple hours. Never seen that message before though, not even the day DA:O came out.

I've never really used Steam but I saw it during the TF2 free weekend. A lot.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mike99TA wrote: »

I've never really used Steam but I saw it during the TF2 free weekend. A lot.

It only happens when there is a large demand for downloads, such as major events like the TF2 weekend, the Christmas sale, or game launches like Call of Duty or this. Normally it's very smooth.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    So, I put down a pre-order on this game, and only today thought to check reviews. I see they're pretty terrible across the board, but I don't really put much stock in them.

How about people here, though? I trust what you people have to say a hell of a lot more. I've never played any of the previous AvP games, but I play a decent share of shooters. Is this worth picking up today? Or would I be better off getting it from goozex down the line? If it's not so hot, what are the big problems with it?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    at the rate its downloading. going to be hours -and that's if the download doesn't keep stopping "starting download and freezes"

then it has to update its progress after being restarted which takes just as long.. (was at 20ish%. now its updated to 6%)

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whelp, i can only speak for myself but i'm loving the shit out of this game already.

Played a bit of the pred single player, and a full mission of the marine, i'm really enjoying myself.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    Whelp, i can only speak for myself but i'm loving the shit out of this game already.

Played a bit of the pred single player, and a full mission of the marine, i'm really enjoying myself.

Keep posting updates on whether or not it sucks

I was gonna go pick this up at lunch, but the mixed response has made me weary

Monoxide on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Downloading at 2 MBps. But seriously, 15 gigs? Thats pretty huge.

Eh, I'm gonna hit multiplayer first, probably survival mode if someone wants to join me. I'll be in the steam group chat room

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Zephos wrote: »

You're not allowed to like it

Game Informer says so

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I am fuming right now since apparently someone complained to walmart and now no store in town is selling it. I was planning on just using some of my walmart giftcards from christmas but now i get cock blocked by some silly goose of a parent.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    OTBOTB Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hey dudes, long time lurker here, just chiming in...

Im most curious about feedback from any pc players whove gotten a hold of it, if any are reading this (though most are probably just playing the shit out of it at the moment), did they manage to smooth out the control scheme in the full retail? When I would play pc demo, and I would play alien more often than not, it just seemed that they had a small failure in the reaction time with the mouse and keyboard. Other than that, the game ran fine. The demo on 360 runs perfectly for me, Ive rarely seen lag, so I was planning on getting it on the xbox.

Im torn right now because it seems that only the ps3 copies have made it to the island I live on, so, I could wait and hope they come sooner than later, or I can simply download it on steam.

SWEET MOTHER OF MERCY I NEED TO TEAR SOME THROATS OUT

OTB on
    If you were as lucky as my group, you can nab yourself 3 small rabbits and roast them ... just make sure to kill them the first try cus they cry like babies. - Belf
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    I am fuming right now since apparently someone complained to walmart and now no store in town is selling it. I was planning on just using some of my walmart giftcards from christmas but now i get cock blocked by some silly goose of a parent.

They would really not stock it because of a complaint? That seems a little extreme.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You could always use those gift cards online, Bill Cosby.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bill Cosby wrote: »

They would really not stock it because of a complaint? That seems a little extreme.

I really have no idea what has happened, but I went down to my local store and asked the dude working to look up the info on avp. He says there not selling avp in stores and only online. He kinda gave a vague reason that it was a complaint about the rating but didn't seem like he really knew.

edit: ya I know i can just buy it online, but I'm just a little pissed that I'll have to wait even longer.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Im also pretty shocked to hear this. Rebellion and sega wont be very impressed either. Assuming you live in anything bigger than a hamlet, thats cash money.

OTB on
    If you were as lucky as my group, you can nab yourself 3 small rabbits and roast them ... just make sure to kill them the first try cus they cry like babies. - Belf
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What the hell else is it supposed to be rated? The damn thing is M-Rated, right?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    OTB wrote: »
    Im also pretty shocked to hear this. Rebellion and sega wont be very impressed either. Assuming you live in anything bigger than a hamlet, thats cash money.

I live in knoxville, TN.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ahhhh quit your whining. I have to wait till Friday and chances are as all of the world bar Norht America is going to try and download it at the same time I'll be downloading it at a mighty 1kbs or not at all. They better enable a preload. Theres no reason not to.

Gin Soacked Boy on
    Under the influence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ahhhh quit your whining. I have to wait till Friday and chances are as all of the world bar Norht America is going to try and download it at the same time I'll be downloading it at a mighty 1kbs or not at all. They better enable a preload. Theres no reason not to.

Yes, yes that eases my mind slightly. But only slightly.

OTB on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

There was no preload for us, so i doubt it

edit: whoo, a whopping %47

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    Destiny's DesireDestiny's Desire __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    So it looks like it didnt ship for 360 today. Is this everywhere or just around here?

Destiny's Desire on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Holy crap I have 50.6 hours played on the demo in 2 weeks...think I may have gone a little overboard. The full game should keep me entertained for months.

Gin Soacked Boy on
    Under the influence

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I can run the Steam demo just fine, but the moment I fire up SP retail it CTDs on me. And repeated tries causes complete lock-up. Fuck me.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So it looks like it didnt ship for 360 today. Is this everywhere or just around here?

Got mine for 360 from gamestop.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've played through two levels in each campaign so far and all I can say is fucking AWESOME.

The Marine gameplay oozes atmosphere, creeping around avoid Xenomorphs with nothing but a dinky flashlight and a pistol. The Alien campaign's intro was really fun just running around with other Xenos killing scientists. Predator takes a little getting used to, as far as what knocks you out of stealth and what doesn't - but tearing heads off soldiers never gets old.

Basically, if you like the look and feel of the level in the MP demo, the single player delivers. I took a break so I don't pace through a whole campaign in a sitting (each is about six stages long, including an intro/tutorial); can't wait to try the survival mode later tonight after work.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    043 wrote: »
    I've played through two levels in each campaign so far and all I can say is fucking AWESOME.

The Marine gameplay oozes atmosphere, creeping around avoid Xenomorphs with nothing but a dinky flashlight and a pistol. The Alien campaign's intro was really fun just running around with other Xenos killing scientists. Predator takes a little getting used to, as far as what knocks you out of stealth and what doesn't - but tearing heads off soldiers never gets old.

Basically, if you like the look and feel of the level in the MP demo, the single player delivers. I took a break so I don't pace through a whole campaign in a sitting (each is about six stages long, including an intro/tutorial); can't wait to try the survival mode later tonight after work.

Good to hear. I may not be able to get this before friday, but if you are enjoying it on 360, add me to your list, lets get some games in the weekend.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hiryu02 - Consider it done.

My only complaint so far is the saving system, which saves checkpoints as you play them, but make sure to actually pause and save before switching campaigns. Luckily, I only lost about twenty minutes of Marine gameplay to this lil' flaw.

I really like how the story seems to weave itself together throughout the three races.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Watching Aliens while it downloads, its at %80 now, whoo

gunwarrior on
This discussion has been closed.