As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for Anime Reccomendations ( scared of the D&D anime thread )

DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay. So i would take this to the D&D anime thread, but i have some rather specific tastes in anime, and i would rather not be made fun of for them.

First off, as some of you know, i am gay.

Second off, Im not looking for Shonen-Ai or Yaoi... i know where to find that if im looking for it.

Third, Im contradicting myself a little bit here, cause i still like Cute and Cool looking guys in my anime.

So here is the list of Anime i have watched in the past couple of years.

FMA
FMA Brotherhood
Soul Eater
Gurren Lagann
Kuroshitsuji
The Wallflower ( forget the Japaense name )
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
FLCL
Kampfer
xxxHolic
Nabari No Ou
Ouran High School Host Club
Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Please No Shonen-Ai or Yaoi titles. Ive seen them ALL ( and please keep your judgements about that to yourself... this is a thread of anime reccomendations, not "lets all pick on the fairy". )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Drswords on

• ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Baccano!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cowboy Bebop. Its not totally inline with what you have listed but i don't know a single person who has watched it an hasn't enjoyed it.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drswords wrote: »
    Please No Shonen-Ai or Yaoi titles. Ive seen them ALL ( and please keep your judgements about that to yourself... this is a thread of anime reccomendations, not "lets all pick on the fairy". )

Dude you know these fora are like super duper tolerant/gay friendly, right?

Anyways

From what I understand Death Note, in addition to being basically the best anime ever would be up someone of your sexual interests' alley

Rent on
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I forgot to mention, Ive seen Death Note ( didnt care for it )

And i didnt care for Cowboy Bebop.

I havent listed all of the anime ive watched cause ive watched a lot of the titles of "yesteryear".

I think the oldest title i mentioned was Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. Ive seen quite a few classics.

Ive also seen Noir and Paranoia Agent ( i hated both, but a friend MADE me watch them ).

I also hate Ghost in The Shell Stand Alone Complex.

I loved .hack//Sign and .hack//Roots

And um.. i cant think of any others.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well, we have polar opposite tastes then... sounds like i should let the other's give you advice from here on out. Good luck!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you've never seen Berserk you should try that. Gundam has some really good OVAs.

JJ on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You should give Code Geass a look.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gundam 08th MS team
    Rurouni Kenshin
    The Slayers (all of it)
    Record of Lodoss War
    Outlaw Star

At some point, once people have watched enough anime, I always recommend Martian Successor Nadesico. The series is even better once you've watched Evangelion... Nadesico rips a lot of anime series apart, and it's hilarious, particularly once you've suffered through Eva.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Speaking of suffering through Eva, RahXephon is quite good.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i still like Cute and Cool looking guys in my anime.
    Honey & Clover
    Nodame Cantabile
    NANA
    Fruits Basket
    Full Metal Panic
    Paradise Kiss
    Eden of the East
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gundam Wing.

It's one of my favorite anime, and all of the main pilots are male. There's no actual relationships between them, but it's not hard to interpret otherwise.

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cross Game.

Kou and Azuma are the two most down to earth cool dudes in all of animes. You'll have to get over the art style though.

And Baccano! is pretty good as well.

And the d&d thread won't bite you. It didn't bite me.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay. So i would take this to the D&D anime thread, but i have some rather specific tastes in anime, and i would rather not be made fun of for them.

blrosario2.jpg

First off, I'd recommend Rosario+Vampire since it's a good read.

Now onto some anime that you might like:

Kyo Kara Maoh - guy falls into some fantasy land, becomes married to a Prince, hijinx ensues

Loveless - Yun Kouga's famous work about something that I never watched so I dunno

X - CLAMP's famous work about two groups warring over the future of mankind

Saiunkoku - Period piece about a girl trying to teach a rogue'ish prince some manners, ala King and I

Trinity Blood - It's a ripoff of Trigun but with vampires.

They Were 11 - A sci-fi space movie from the creator of shoujo, Moto Hagio, about 10 space cadets who are on an isolated training mission to be a self-sustaining group on board a derelect space station...but there are 11 cadets on board...

Also, check out this review of Otoboku to see if it is for you:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=12726804#post12726804

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    You should give Code Geass a look.

I have never had anyone reccomend that to me before. Most everyone i talked to hated its guts when it was on Adult Swim, so i never bothered.

I dont even know what its about and if i have seen a character from it ill be damned if i can recall them.

Then again, most of the hate i heard for this series was from straight guys.

Ive heard Fruits Basket is supposed to be super cute, but ive never bothered with it ( i was in a major Soul Eater phase at the time ).

I saw the first episode of Eden of the East and was intrigued, but never followed up.

As far as anything that used to be on Toonami ( seen it ). Full Metal Panic saw and hated.

Havent heard of most of the others.

Cross Game... never heard of it. Might look into it.

Also.. a friend reccomended Tsubasa Reservior Chronicle.... im going to look into that.

I have a lot to look through here....

Also Loveless is SO Shonen-Ai.... its been plastered all over Aarinfantasy for years. Same with Kyo Kara Maoh.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2010
    You might like Eden of the East alright. It's pretty neat. Short, though, and you'll have to wait for the movies to find out how it ends.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Please No Shonen-Ai or Yaoi titles. Ive seen them ALL
    IRC has chosen to bet against that claim

THUSLY

Angel Sanctuary
    Angel's Feather
    Cluster Edge
    Glass Fleet
    Gravitation
    Gundam Wing
    Heroic Age
    Hikaru no Go
    Junjou Romantica
    Koutetsu Sangokushi
    Legend of the Dragon Kings
    Marginal Prince
    Mirage of Blaze
    Meine Liebe
    Monochrome Factor
    Princess Princess
    Sokyuu no Fafner
    tactics
    Terra e
    Tsubasa Chronicle
    Vampire Knight (and Guilty)
    Weiss Kreuz
    X TV

[tiny]Disclaimer: We're not saying any of these are GOOD shows. Although some are![/tiny]

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll second (third? whatever) the code geass and eden of the east recommendations.

Delmain on
    edited February 2010
    Code Geass is pretty dumb. Be warned.

Page- on
    stream
  • LackadaisicalLackadaisical Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A lot of the suggestion thus far have been quite good, but if I had to take just one anime and force it upon you it would be Code Geass. By far the best anime I've ever seen and i'm sort of a junkie.

Edit: Page- it's a suggest anime thread, not flame anime that you hate for some reason or another.

Lackadaisical on
    It's a warm feeling when you realize that people share your views...
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Sandra Lee and Rachel Ray raped food.
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gundam Wing.

It's one of my favorite anime, and all of the main pilots are male. There's no actual relationships between them, but it's not hard to interpret otherwise.
    Quatre and Trowa, for instance...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cromartie High School is pretty much the best show.

Jubeh on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Code Geass is pretty dumb. Be warned.

It's a really fun ride, and is quite solid, but is ridiculously easy to rag on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezwhZC4R-eI

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scrapped Princess is one of my favorites and I highly recommend it. Its one of my favorite series, next to FLCL, Full Metal Alchemist, and Hellsing Ultimate.
    Gundam 00 I also found very enjoyable, but I have yet to see the 2nd season.
    Macross Frontier was a good watch, along with Gunslinger Girl.
    Photon: The Idiot Adventures is one I found to be freakin hilarious and is another one of my favorites.

Not sure if you have seen Midori Days as you claim to have seen all shonen titles. I enjoyed the premise's absurdity.

Tho I have been out of the fansub scene for quite some time, I don't even know whats out there anymore.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm... maybe you'll enjoy Gunbuster. It's one of Gainax's older OVAs, only six episodes. If you like it, the name of the sequel's Diebuster.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    Honey & Clover

admanb on
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You could check Trigun, but it throws a flip in story about halfway through so you kind of end up going "WHAT!?" and the second series goes even more off track to me.

Berserk is ok, the manga goes much further than the anime I believe and is way more graphic so it's sort of a love hate thing depending on how much gore you like.

If you'd like to check out some super cute stuff (not just cute guys) there's Chi's new house. it's about a cat so if you don't like cats skip it, but for some reason I'm hooked on it.

Lucky Star is fine if you get Japanese culture and how girls their age act, otherwise skip it.

Hajime no Ippo is a good action/boxing anime if you're into boxing. It's got two seasons and if you can look past some faults in it, it's not bad.
    Great Teacher Onizuka isn't bad. It's not great, groundbreaking anime, but it's got funny bits.
    I really gotta push some Gonzo stuff because it's usually a great story / really messed up story.

Speed Grapher - about a camera man (that's all I'm saying)
    Samurai 7 - the remake with characters taken from the old movie, it's not bad, but it slows down.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    From your replies it seems that you are not into the mech/tech stuff. I would suggest you try Monster. I suck at making a good summary when it comes to this show, so here is a summary from its wiki:
    The series follows Dr. Kenzo Tenma as he pursues a young psychopath/sociopath named Johan, whose life Tenma once saved. The story rapidly progresses through a number of locations: it starts in Düsseldorf, Germany, passes through Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, Wiesbaden, cities in the Czech Republic such as Prague, and other cities and villages.

tallgeeze on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I usually don't watch anime, but I was thoroughly entertained by Excel Saga. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, though.

Platy on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I usually don't watch anime, but I was thoroughly entertained by Requiem from the Darkness. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, though.

Sorry I'm lazy.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Aoi Bungaku.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Beck wrote: »
    Aoi Bungaku.

You're not going to recommend Beck?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    People forget that, before it jumped the shark around episode 63, Bleach was awesome. I even had a tiny man-crush on Ichigo for a while, so worth a look maybe?

The other big Shonen Jump series, Naruto, is also actually pretty good. Well, the anime isn't, but I will stand by the manga as a truly excellent adventure. I dunno if the gender bias is enough to be offputting, but my sister likes it so...

Also, there's a reason there's a whole different thread for One Piece. (Still can't recommend the anime though.) I'm not sure it has exactly what you're looking for, but honestly it's just good and worth a look.

LoneIgadzra on
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    Beck wrote: »
    Aoi Bungaku.

You're not going to recommend Beck?

Haha, you know, I've never watched the show. :P

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I got to say One Piece if your looking for a good and long ongoing series. The Funimation DVDs are really good. Its got a little bit of everything you would want in a show. Its fun loving and goofy, its got a memorable cast of characters, its got excellent villians, and it constantly raises the bar of AWESOME! It's got pirates, super powers, tons of adventure, and one mans dream to become king of the pirates. Proably my favorite anime to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXeHwqKyK4

Psychotic One on
  • ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Only Anime I've ever really liked was Berserk, and really you should pick up the Manga for that.

Scrum on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Black Lagoon: it's modern-day pirates on the South Seas. One part Michael Bay, one part John Woo, one part Peckinpah. It's like Patton Oswalt said about Jason Statham: "You won't learn shit about the human condition, or feel a collective connection with the brotherhood of man. But if you (watch this show), (it) will fuck an explosion while a Slayer song plays".

Oh yeah, watch the dub.

Also great and not-yet-mentioned: Detroit Metal City. It's a wacky comedy about a guy who love pop-folk music but is untalented at it. What he IS talented at, though, is death metal. Hilarity and vulgarity ensue.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Black Lagoon: it's modern-day pirates on the South Seas. One part Michael Bay, one part John Woo, one part Peckinpah. It's like Patton Oswalt said about Jason Statham: "You won't learn shit about the human condition, or feel a collective connection with the brotherhood of man. But if you (watch this show), (it) will fuck an explosion while a Slayer song plays".

Oh yeah, watch the dub.
    (mild spoilers abound)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

:^:

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Natsume Yuujinchou sounds right up your alley. The series is about how the main character deals with seeing spirits all around him and the legacy left by his grandmother, but it does poke fun at how some of the characters are too pretty for their own good.

Musan on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Haré+Guu sounds like it fits your criteria and it's f'in hilarious. One of the silliest animes I have ever seen!

1ddqd on