As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

White Man Declares Jihad on The IRS and Commits Terrorist Act

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    So, he was rich enough to own his own plane, thought he was destitute, and hated having to pay taxes...

Has anyone seen Modernman?

Oh God as funny as that is, Modernman lives in DC (or around it). <_<

Henroid on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so yeah suicide terror is only when they get to have the virgins afterward right

nescientist on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'm sure the Republicans will be saying "oh, this was awful, but anger at Obama and the IRS is understandable, so we can totally see where this guy is coming from, and they pretty much had it coming."

Due to the poor state of the economy, taxes should be lower!

And if you'd passed our tax cuts, this never would have happened!

No honest discussion will come of this. Though I'd like an unrelated conversation about the EZ forms again.

kildy on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    so yeah suicide terror is only when they get to have the virgins afterward right

He is going to be PISSED when he finds out he has to pay taxes on those virgins.

Sipex on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Deranged murder suicide =/= terrorism.

Though you could put them on a spectrum I suppose.

Qingu on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I fully agree that this is not terrorism.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion. At present, there is no internationally agreed definition of terrorism. Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians).

Sounds like terrorism to me.

Revolutionary martyrs are always branded terrorists by those in power.

This was violent protest, not terrorism. There IS a difference. Although I'm sure the press will try to spin it otherwise.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
    The gunpowder treason and plot,
    I see no reason
    Why the gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So can they write this off?

Seriously though. This is a tragic way to end your life. Within the next few weeks there will be a ton of people coming out of the woodwork claiming "well we didn't think he would actually do it!"

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    kildy wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'm sure the Republicans will be saying "oh, this was awful, but anger at Obama and the IRS is understandable, so we can totally see where this guy is coming from, and they pretty much had it coming."

No honest discussion will come of this.

Havelock on
    edited February 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I fully agree that this is not terrorism.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Terrorism is the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion. At present, there is no internationally agreed definition of terrorism. Common definitions of terrorism refer only to those violent acts which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (civilians).

Sounds like terrorism to me.

Revolutionary martyrs are always branded terrorists by those in power.

This was violent protest, not terrorism. There IS a difference. Although I'm sure the press will try to spin it otherwise.

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
    The gunpowder treason and plot,
    I see no reason
    Why the gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot.

Fucking Poe, I think?

*worries*

kildy on
    edited February 2010
    Oh dear gods. He posted that on a forum.

Queue in a prediction for attack on the internet community as a whole.

Sipex on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Did he do this out of depression, pain, panic, or fear? Not terrorism.

Did he do this out of frustration, anger, malice, or to send a message of a political nature? Terrorism.

Since there's a manifesto, I'm gonna go with the latter.

Sheep on
    edited February 2010
    We really need to take the word Manifesto back. Nobody ever writes something nice in a Manifesto. You never hear "oh that nice man, always helping the poor and working on his social well being manifesto"

kildy on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Oh dear gods. He posted that on a forum.

Queue in a prediction for attack on the internet community as a whole.

He posted it on his website, which appears to have been his business website until this morning.

Tomanta on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Terrorist are brown people who don't speak English and want to destroy America. This was a white dute who speaks English and hates taxes. That's not a terrorist. That's a patriot.

[/Fox news]

JihadJesus on
    edited February 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    This was a white dute who speaks English and hates taxes. That's not a terrorist. That's a patriot.

Yep. Big difference. Not even the same as the Oklahoma City bombing or Waco or Ruby Ridge... legitimate grievance against the government, tried to work within the system, that didn't work, decided to act outside of the system.

Patriot.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So uh, I guess this is another one of those semantics things this forum does eh?

Henroid on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    This was a white dute who speaks English and hates taxes. That's not a terrorist. That's a patriot.

Yep. Big difference. Not even the same as the Oklahoma City bombing or Waco or Ruby Ridge... legitimate grievance against the government, tried to work within the system, that didn't work, decided to act outside of the system.

Patriot.

:lol:

Havelock on
    edited February 2010
    Really? I thought this was on a big brother forum.

Still, IT WAS ON THE INTERNET, HOW DID WE NOT KNOW AND STOP HIM!

INTERNET PEOPLE ARE HORRIBLE SAVAGES WHO WANTED THIS TO HAPPEN!

etc.

Sipex on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

He is going to be PISSED when he finds out he has to pay taxes on those virgins.

I thought I had a great joke about Virgin Airlines in this context but then I lost it.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2010
    Really? I thought this was on a big brother forum.

Still, IT WAS ON THE INTERNET, HOW DID WE NOT KNOW AND STOP HIM!

etc.

I have never seen anyone rage out against the internet like that.

Henroid on
    edited February 2010
    You sure? I've seen that sort of rage against just about everything else. Maybe not in caps but the level was still the same.

Sipex on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    From another forum, and not even a conservative one:

"...we are nearing a tipping point. People are getting tired of taking it anymore."

"I say, GOOD JOB!" (3 "great answers" to this)

"Maybe something is in the air. It is interesting that this man has been given a chance to voice his rationale for what appears on the surface to be an irrational act. He was not discounted out of hand as a raving lunatic like so many other disident newbies of the past. I’ve suspected for a long time that many of these “lunatic loners” and “lone gunmen” may have rational reasons for their rash acts."

"To those who think he was crazy, imbalanced or a raving lunatic, the man’s suicide note (complete note is here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/18/joe-stack-statement-alleg_n_467539.html?page=2), there is nothing in what he’s written to affirm that. He is intelligent, articulate, and presents sound reasoning. I’m not in any way condoning what he did, but I’m wondering if he isn’t representative of countless Americans who are fed up with living lives of quiet desperation, and wondering what comes next."

So now I am actually scared.

Qingu on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Qingu wrote: »

If your "suicide" includes monetary and/or social damages beside the act of your death and if you're looking for an effect larger than "Well, that guy's life probably sucked", be it to instigate change, to pass a message or to influence an opinion, then yeah, it could/should be considered terrorism.
    I'm hard pressed to think of any act of flying an airplane in a building which isn't terrorism outside of a "OH SHIT THAT'S A BUILDING".

Edit:
    He is intelligent, articulate, and presents sound reasoning. I’m not in any way condoning what he did, but I’m wondering if he isn’t representative of countless Americans who are fed up with living lives of quiet desperation, and wondering what comes next.

He was intelligent, articulate and they were going to take his plane away.
    I also wonder if he isn't a representative of countless Americans who are fed up with living lives of quiet desperation....I'm laughing as I'm typing this, which honestly doesn't happen that often.

zeeny on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

"...we are nearing a tipping point. People are getting tired of taking it anymore."

"Maybe something is in the air. It is interesting that this man has been given a chance to voice his rationale for what appears on the surface to be an irrational act. He was not discounted out of hand as a raving lunatic like so many other disident newbies of the past. I’ve suspected for a long time that many of these “lunatic loners” and “lone gunmen” may have rational reasons for their rash acts."

"To those who think he was crazy, imbalanced or a raving lunatic, the man’s suicide note (complete note is here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/18/joe-stack-statement-alleg_n_467539.html?page=2), there is nothing in what he’s written to affirm that. He is intelligent, articulate, and presents sound reasoning. I’m not in any way condoning what he did, but I’m wondering if he isn’t representative of countless Americans who are fed up with living lives of quiet desperation, and wondering what comes next."

I knew this was how the conspiracy/anti-government sub-culture on the internet would react to this. Hes basically the first guy to actually go out and do something instead of just ranting on the internet and buying a lot of guns.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    zeeny wrote: »

If your "suicide" includes monetary and/or social damages beside the act of your death and if you're looking for an effect larger than "Well, that guy's life probably sucked", be it to instigate change, to pass a message or to influence an opinion, then yeah, it could/should be considered terrorism.
    I'm hard pressed to think of any act of flying an airplane in a building which isn't terrorism outside of a "OH SHIT THAT'S A BUILDING".

What's that building doing way up here in this cloud bank?

L Ron Howard on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Jephery wrote: »

I knew this was how the conspiracy/anti-government sub-culture on the internet would react to this. Hes basically the first guy to actually go out and do something instead of just ranting on the internet and buying a lot of guns.

No he isn't. There've been several mass shootings since Obama got in, by dudes angry about taxes and scared that Der Gubmint was going to take their guns. Ammo sales jumped by a fucking, and websites like the one Qingu quoted are full of these entitled narcissists being egged on by talk radio.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2010

etc.

I'm sure that's how it will be painted yes.

Let's be honest. Representative government is broken. Why it is broken is up for discussion but it is, and it's obvious to everyone. Something has to change, and unfortunately nothing will change until people oppose the status quo. Violently, if history is any guide.

Is it right? No. Is it wrong? No. It just is. Right and wrong are relative; even the law isn't immutable when intent is taken into account. Did this individual cross a line? Yes. He also realized he was crossing a line and died for doing it; justice thus is served. Even better, nobody else so far has died because of it.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    His website is back up. Sort of. Now it is just a message that says the FBI requested they take it down.

Tomanta on
    edited February 2010

etc.

Let's be honest. Representative government is broken. Why it is broken is up for discussion but it is, and it's obvious to everyone. Something has to change, and unfortunately nothing will change until people oppose the status quo. Violently, if history is any guide.

Is it right? No. Is it wrong? No. It just is. Right and wrong are relative; even the law isn't immutable when intent is taken into account. Did this individual cross a line? Yes. He also realized he was crossing a line and died for doing it; justice thus is served. Even better, nobody else so far has died because of it.
    Uh

No dude. It was wrong. The wrongiest of wrongy wrongs from wrongsville.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2010

etc.

It's really not broken. Our media culture/Political culture is broken, and treats politics like a sporting event, and truth is secondary to appearance of neutrality.

edit: and yes, destroying property because you failed to win a fight with the IRS is objectively wrong. Dying in an act of illegality isn't justice being served, it's avoiding justice in the most cowardly way possible: by not having to deal with the repercussions of your actions. The only up side to all this is that nobody else died.

That said, there's nothing wrong with representative government. It's better than direct democracy on a large scale, and no form of government will shut up the anti tax loons.

kildy on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Boy this really brings to light the truth in Benjamin Franklins saying that the only certainties in the world are death and taxes.

Wow. Nice.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

etc.

It's really not broken. Our media culture/Political culture is broken, and treats politics like a sporting event, and truth is secondary to appearance of neutrality.

That said, there's nothing wrong with representative government. It's better than direct democracy on a large scale, and no form of government will shut up the anti tax loons.

I bet if you told these people about how George Washington put down the Whiskey Rebellion their heads would explode.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

etc.

This bolded is truth

Arch on
    edited February 2010
    Also, I'm pretty sure they'll find some bodies because these pictures are pretty spectacular. Also, he stole the plane, and set the house on fire with his family inside. So, dude who was earlier wondering why the women in his life didn't police his crazy, a) not their job b) they probably weren't in a position to do much.

It really is just a small-scale 9/11. Smaller plane, smaller building, same crazy.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited February 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    Also, I'm pretty sure they'll find some bodies because these pictures are pretty spectacular. Also, he stole the plane, and set the house on fire with his family inside. So, dude who was earlier wondering why the women in his life didn't police his crazy, a) not their job b) they probably weren't in a position to do much.

It really is just a small-scale 9/11. Smaller plane, smaller building, same crazy.

THE FUCK?!

edit: phew. Read article, a woman and child were rescued from the house. Jesus. Who the fuck on any level of crazy goes "the government and taxes suck, time to die sweetheart!"

kildy on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He also realized he was crossing a line and died for doing it; justice thus is served.

Man what, that kind of logic could rationalize anything.

Edit: His family was inside the house? Scumbag++.

zeeny on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shouldn't the tea party dbags be idolizing this man?

Robman on
    edited February 2010
    Did he steal the plane or not? I've seen citations going both ways.

Also, he set the place on fire with his family inside? I don't think the right-wing is going to chant this guy a hero. Well, not anyone in office.

Edit - Oh Jesus, they were rescued. Thank God.

Henroid on
    edited February 2010
    Jephery wrote: »
    I bet if you told these people about how George Washington put down the Whiskey Rebellion their heads would explode.

When that happened the government was insolvent and owed a lot of people money.

We're getting close to that point today. Just wait until the government has to default on the public debt and see what anarchy is set loose then.

OK, family was news to me; definitely not right in the head. It's one thing to decide "I have to do this." Quite another to turn against the people you could rationalize doing it for.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    Shouldn't the tea party dbags be idolizing this man?
    As fucked in the head as they are, I'd hope they could still tell that this was a deplorable act of violence.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.