As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your (kids') schools are run by idiots, facsists, and maybe pedophiles.

• Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I just caught the update about the Mike & Ikes ...

Which are disgusting, but that's irrelevant.

Mike & Ikes are a gateway candy to Good & Plentys.

What amazes me about this is that it likely betrays a shocking lack of knowledge about drugs. Often people down several Mike & Ike's at a time. I don't know of any drug where a person who isn't planning on killing themselves dumps a handful of pills into their hand, downs them, and then goes and does the same thing again, because hey, they've got a whole six ounce box of drugs to plow through.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't expect anything to come to this after the supreme court said stripping kids naked is fine if you think they have tylenol or whatever the hell it was

So does that mean that you DO expect something to come of this?

Since, you know, they found in favor of the student, and all...

Evander on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Those were dark times for anyone who didn't fit in. It was pretty incredible how almost every school turned into a weird Big Brother situation with everyone watching the nerdy kids with suspicion. Playing Doom and listening to anything even relating to metal was considered a warning sign.

I think it largely depended on where you were. My school did plenty of idiotic things* but I graduated in 2000 and the most onerous thing we had was an old lady with a clipboard was added at the front door to make people who were late sign in. I even did my Academic Decathlon speech on how silly policies like that (and the more draconian) were ("Administrative staff born before World War II and armed only with paperwork are ill-suited at preventing crazed teen gunmen from trying to enact the kind of mass shooting the events in Columbine have fixed so strongly in the nightmares of parents, students and teachers alike.") Anecdotes and all that but I think it all depended on where you went to school.

The Intermediate school principal believed females could do no wrong and my homeroom teacher was a crony. I was suspended for a day when I called the girl who had thrown all my papers and books from my locker a bitch. I was once sucker punched in the face by a friend of this girl a day a substitute was in homeroom and broke the regular teacher's glass bell. The teacher pulled me out of 3 different classes on 4 successive days demanding first that I pay for it and then that I pay for half of it. It took a threat of a lawsuit from my parents if she tried to punish me and the insistent claims of the sub and regular teacher who happened to be in the doorway that I was telling the truth before she stopped. And then they tried to not only keep me out of the high honors track for Jr High but out of honors classes entirely despite having the highest exam scores overall and in 4 out of 5 areas of study and having the recommendation of every other teacher. That took a threat to go to private school followed by angry phone calls from the Jr High administration, who still couldn't fit me in the high honors track until a year later in 9th grade. Neither of the two above girls graduated 11th grade.

tl;dr - People are dumb

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was accused of huffing in high-school. Because of chapped lips. In the winter.

SkannerJAT on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    I don't expect anything to come to this after the supreme court said stripping kids naked is fine if you think they have tylenol or whatever the hell it was

Uh, if I remember correctly while it was ruled in the girl's favor, they left the door open to future strip searches if they actually had evidence of something illegal happening, by the school and not the police.

override367 on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Uh, if I remember correctly while it was ruled in the girl's favor, they left the door open to future strip searches if they actually had evidence of something illegal happening, by the school and not the police.

Actually, what they said was more along the lines of "we're taking this on a case by case basis right now."

The fact that they didn't declare all strip searches across the board illegal doesn't make them all legal either. The supreme court sometimes operates in shades of grey.

Evander on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I firmly believe that school sports should be made illegal. I am not going to pay taxes in two years just so those motherfucking harpies can brag about getting the entire year's test answers on the third day of school.

...also they wouldn't let me into the cheer squad despite the fact that I met all of the requirements.

Edith Upwards on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Actually, what they said was more along the lines of "we're taking this on a case by case basis right now."

The fact that they didn't declare all strip searches across the board illegal doesn't make them all legal either. The supreme court sometimes operates in shades of grey.

To be honest, the SC pretty much fucked over anyone in high school when they ruled in favor of that Alaska school district who expelled a kid of over a bong hits for jesus sign. When he wasn't on school property, or at a school event. If I remember the legal reasoning boiled down to "schools can do anything they deem necessary to combat drug use."

Edit: Also, did this get posted yet, it's a really well done security analysis of what was going on on these computers. I went back a few pages and didn't see it so: http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2010/02/spy-at-harrington-high.html

Dark_Side on
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Edit: Also, did this get posted yet, it's a really well done security analysis of what was going on on these computers. I went back a few pages and didn't see it so: http://strydehax.blogspot.com/2010/0...gton-high.html

After reading through all that, and being a Network admin for a public school system myself, I could only come to the conclusion that the guy responsible was/is simply an asshat and probably shouldn't be in the position he's in at a public school.

We have laptops for the kids to use in class also, but use nothing near as intrusive to keep shenanigans in check and would never even consider something like remote viewing via the webcam as a solution.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just hit me...

what the fuck kinda school district can afford to send laptops home with kids???

krush on
    edited February 2010
    krush wrote: »
    just hit me...

what the fuck kinda school district can afford to send laptops home with kids???

The kind that isn't in the south?

Edith Upwards on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    just hit me...

One that's wasting their money. Kids in middle/high school do not need their own laptops in order to be educated.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just hit me...

One that doesn't let dirty Negros,Trailer Trash and Hispanics join their school district?

They are also being sued for redistricting their district to keep the wrong people out.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just hit me...

One that's wasting their money. Kids in middle/high school do not need their own laptops in order to be educated.

Anyone who grows up without a computer is at a disadvantage in later life, at least in this current century.

Daedalus on
    edited February 2010
    That's probably why they have computer class.

Orochi_Rockman on
    edited February 2010

"Computer class" in high school is entirely bullshit and everyone knows it.

Daedalus on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Daedalus wrote: »
    just hit me...

Anyone who grows up without a computer is at a disadvantage in later life, at least in this current century.

I agree.

However, even if you're committed to get a computer into the hands of every student, why a friggin' Macbook? I love Macs, but it seems like barebones netbooks were made for this sort of thing.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2010
    Exactly. That had to have been around 800-900 per student easy.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    just hit me...

I agree.

However, even if you're committed to get a computer into the hands of every student, why a friggin' Macbook? I love Macs, but it seems like barebones netbooks were made for this sort of thing.

They want them to be comfortble with Word and chem programs.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Typing class and basic experience with Microsoft Office is going to be 90 percent of what anybody needs to know.

Couscous on
    edited February 2010
    just hit me...

"they" tried to say that back in the '80s.

then again in the 90's

and now "they're" still saying it.

And yet there's far too many people that grow up sans PC in the home who do just fine using library computers.

... but if you have an XBox 360 or PS3 in the home for your kids to play with but no computer, you should probably have your ass kicked.

krush on
    edited February 2010

"Computer Class" when I was in high school consisted of learning to program Microsoft Basic and Pascal.

... on an IBM PC XT

... with a whopping 20MB full height 5.25" hard drive and a full height 5.25" floppy drive.

... and a green and black display.

"Computer Class" today consists of... what??? How to "Google"???

krush on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    just hit me...

I agree.

Three year warranty + educational pricing. Probably isn't all that different in price from a basic laptop + extra warranty. Plus you know, it's shiny and cool looking.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Computer classes offered in my highschool:
    Typing class (required for further classes)
    Web Design (didn't take it; heard about the Geocities quality all up ins)
    Programming (I didn't take it; they used C++ only though)

The latter two are cute and all if you actually wanted to focus in that stuff. But in terms of learning your way around computers, there wasn't shit. You either had to know it, ask a friend, or the teacher did stuff for you. I don't think they understood there was more to computer use at a basic level aside from typing. Now, compared to another class I took during highschool...

There was this school that provided like vocational classes for adults, but highschool students in the area could enroll for free. So I did, took the computer class. In that we covered actual computer hardware (function and installation thereof), DOS, Windows (95 (all four versions), 98, 98se, ME, and 2000), networking (with ME and 2000), Cisco online classes (free because of our enrollment), binary, hexadecimal, electricity (which included wire stripping, securing with various tying methods, and soldering), and making our own CAT-5 cables. Oh, and the first two days were spent building the swanky desks for the class (well, tables) that had electrical sockets throughout. And we spent a shitload of time playing networked games.

First semester in college, every student was required to take an "Introduction to Windows" class. This actually covered Windows functionality as well as MS Office stuffs. While it was an easy A for me and most people there, it actually had substance and I see it having merit in a public education environment. I think it should be a part of public education at some point. Maybe not in highschool, I think earlier would work. Computers are a part of the world we're in. They're as important to know at a basic level as driving a car.

Requiring it in tech school was a little silly to me, but I guess I'm not a person who will jump into something strange and unknown to me.

Henroid on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    corcorigan wrote: »
    just hit me...

I agree.

Three year warranty + educational pricing. Probably isn't all that different in price from a basic laptop + extra warranty. Plus you know, it's shiny and cool looking.

The three year warranty costs extra, and the educational discount is 10%, which will just about knock the sales tax off. Even assuming they got a big order discount, they'd run around $600-800 each. You can get a netbook for under $300 before even applying any discount malarky.

KalTorak on
  • histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I feel like the only computer courses that *need* to be taught in high school are computer keyboarding and how to use Excel. Web Design and computer programming are interesting classes as well, but it doesn't matter if you learn them in high school or not as most colleges will require you to take them again anyway. I learned how to use a computer in all of about an hour when I was 10 years old, and while I'm not an idiot, I feel like they are pretty easy to figure out; its definitely not something that needs to be taught in high school.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
    edited February 2010
    Personally I'm wondering exactly what happened to our government's promises of free education for everybody from the comfort of your own home.

Edith Upwards on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    histronic wrote: »
    I feel like the only computer courses that *need* to be taught in high school are computer keyboarding and how to use Excel. Web Design and computer programming are interesting classes as well, but it doesn't matter if you learn them in high school or not as most colleges will require you to take them again anyway. I learned how to use a computer in all of about an hour when I was 10 years old, and while I'm not an idiot, I feel like they are pretty easy to figure out; its definitely not something that needs to be taught in high school.

Most of the shit can be done by blindly stumbling through the programs and using the internet or help files. Computers have been made as user friendly as possible.

Couscous on
    edited February 2010
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Personally I'm wondering exactly what happened to our government's promises of free education for everybody from the comfort of your own home.

That seems like a very silly promise.

histronic on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    templewulf wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    EDIT: The problem is that it's an "and" statement. So if A&B=C, and we know C', then that can mean A' or B'.

How are you turning A and B = C into A or B = C?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_table
    Logical conjunction is an operation on two logical values, typically the values of two propositions, that produces a value of true if and only if both of its operands are true.

From the link^
    bolded for emphasis

yes, you need to read that again
    (a&b) is only true if a and b are true
    for (a&b) to be false, only one of them needs to be false

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited February 2010

Why? A unified homeschool curriculum makes sense.

Edith Upwards on
    edited February 2010

What would be the point? The majority of homeschooling parents do so for religious reasons, they wouldn't respect a government-issued curriculum.

Daedalus on
    edited February 2010

It would be expensive as hell and no one would learn any social skills.

histronic on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whoa whoa guys, we have a homeschool thread around here somewhere.

Middleschool or gradeschool then. That's why I left it at public education. I wonder how many of these kids with the laptops understood the webcam light was irregular behavior. I mean I guess some of them brought it up with the school / IT guy, but they did the whole run-around thing and the students bought into it.

Henroid on
  • ShandoShando Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Because clearly learning social skills isn't a major part of going to school.

Shando on
    your troll just berserked on us.
    edited February 2010
    Shando wrote: »

Not good ones.

rotten kids.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • ShandoShando Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Not good ones.

rotten kids.

Very true, kids are generally assholes.

But high school is there to learn how to be an asshole in a socially acceptable way, right?

Shando on
    your troll just berserked on us.
  • AstrocookieAstrocookie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Not good ones.

rotten kids.

But high school is there to learn how to be an asshole in a socially acceptable way, right?

I hate to break it to you but in any system you find in life if you wait long enough it just starts to resemble highschool again. High school is pretty much what life is like.

Astrocookie on
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Not good ones.

rotten kids.

If only there was a thread to discuss this.

Clipse on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Not good ones.

rotten kids.

I hate to break it to you but in any system you find in life if you wait long enough it just starts to resemble highschool again. High school is pretty much what life is like.

Really? I find it to be the complete opposite for the most part. I mean there are certain things you figure out in high school that are applicable throughout the rest of your time on this planet. But the only time things feel like "high school" to me, are when I'm around people that never managed to move on past it.

Dark_Side on