As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grumpy Old Men, Get your [Grump] On.

JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
clint-eastwood.jpg
angry-old-man.jpg

Hey there, I have checked with a mod to ensure that the opening of this thread is approved as long as we keep the silly goose rule in mind when using our best judgment in what we are talking about, and how we do it.

And no, we're not here to talk about these two, and the films they are in no, I am direly sorry to say.

006200_11.jpg

That was one the mods were expressly forbidding, just for the shear horror of the acting.

Now, what we are here for is to get our grump on.

You peeved about something or anything in the world at the moment? Want to talk about your job? or about things like how I get fucking twinges in my back even though I am only 23, and how going out clubbing is a disgraceful experience now as it's just full of 16 year old girls (in the UK this is) trying to get in on University nights out, and even then cue jumping ahead of me!

We all have our urks and the real make your back sweat wind ups, and here is the place for us to sit down in our leather recliners, pull out a pipe, grab a flagon of ale, and tell the world that you don't give a flying rumplestiltskin if Tiger Woods is cheating on his wife!

So join me young and old, as long as you're grumpy and old of mind in some of your thoughts, men and women, people of all creeds and colours, Dyslexics even, UNTIE!

Johannen on

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, for a UK related whine - Southern Railways are a bunch of silly geese who cannot run a train on time to save their lives, making this silly goose develop a bad and growing case of train rage

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    By the way, I have no idea who that second picture guy is, so if I have just posted a picture of some known neo nazi or something I apologise and will change it.

I will start though (after Kalkino, who I damn well agree with by the way):

I am incredibly annoyed by the media and its portrayal as celebrities as role models. Why the hell would I want to aspire to be a drug addled manic depressive with hints of narcissism and self loathing? I only envy the fact that they get paid tonnes for doing bugger all, the rest they can keep to them damn selves for once.

Edit: kalkino, I used to get a train from Cardiff to Portsmouth, passing through all the major cities between, and it had two carriages.... on a Friday at any time of the day!

Johannen on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You kids get off of my lawn.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited February 2010
    Floyd Mayweather is a damned silly goose too, trying to get all those stupid over the top regulations in place and forcing Pacquiao to pull out of the fight.

No you two, we do not care who else you fight, and we will not pay stupid money to see you shitkick second rate fighters! Just give each other a battering so we can see something we're willing to pay for for christ sake.

I could keep doing this all day, I honestly could.

Johannen on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Johannen wrote: »
    By the way, I have no idea who that second picture guy is, so if I have just posted a picture of some known neo nazi or something I apologise and will change it.

I will start though (after Kalkino, who I damn well agree with by the way):

I am incredibly annoyed by the media and its portrayal as celebrities as role models. Why the hell would I want to aspire to be a drug addled manic depressive with hints of narcissism and self loathing? I only envy the fact that they get paid tonnes for doing bugger all, the rest they can keep to them damn selves for once.

Edit: kalkino, I used to get a train from Cardiff to Portsmouth, passing through all the major cities between, and it had two carriages.... on a Friday at any time of the day!

Well this brings a related grump, since moving to the UK I've found more and more of my small talk made up of train complaints. But since I spend so much damn time on them I can't help it!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    why is it that tee shirts used to fit better around the neck? Lately every tee shirt I've picked up feels like it's on backwards and is choking the shit outta me.

krush on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You kids get off of my lawn.

I had this moment in the summer of 08. Damn neighbor kids would run right up to the front windows of my house, and just stand there. Standing. Looking in on my living room. It was cute the first time they came up and talked to my 10 mo. old, but it just. Got. Grrrr.

So the day one of them brought a toy gun up and started shooting the inside of my house, including my kid, I foot stomped it.

"Hey," I said, in my best Eastwood. "It's not nice to point guns at babies."

"It's just a toy."

"Still a bad habit to get into. Get off my porch and stay off, or I'll call the police and tell them you're trying to rob me."

That worked on every one of those lil buggers, except the creepy blond girl from the weird African family next door. That kid was too Children of the Corn for me to do anything but shut the blinds. Later, when talking to some of the parents, I was given permission to get the hose next time.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thread title needs [grump].

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Apparently the cool thing for all the kids these days is to bring their laptops to class to take notes. Me, I stick with the much lighter pen and paper.

Problem is, at the end of class, I'm ready to go but everyone else is still packing their stuff away, and with the narrow rows in the lecture halls, I'm stuck standing there waiting for them.

"That's fine, I can wait while you chat with your friends and slowly put your MacBook into its protective sleeve and wind up the cord, I have no where to go, I'm just the one weirdo in a class of 80 people who actually carries paper with him".

Damn kids.

Though I'm at most only two-three years older than most of them.

Andrew_Jay on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    With all the checkpoints and auto-saves, videogames are too lite on challenge these days. Have you ever had your palms sweat from the tension of a boss fight and your health bar is low? You won't get that feeling with modern titles. Maybe multiplayer ... but if Mario loses all his lives, the console should boot you back to the title screen and delete your save data.

emnmnme on
    edited February 2010
    pen and paper will always work. I always wonder why people always wanna bring a flippin laptop to big department meetings to take notes. There's always a couple of them and they always slow everything down 'cause they can't type as fast as anyone else in the room can write.

krush on
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    With all the checkpoints and auto-saves, videogames are too lite on challenge these days. Have you ever had your palms sweat from the tension of a boss fight and your health bar is low? You won't get that feeling with modern titles. Maybe multiplayer ... but if Mario loses all his lives, the console should boot you back to the title screen and delete your save data.

Robotron was the last game to evoke sweaty palms, but not because of a boss fight. Robotron is the end-all-be-all of the gaming experience. No other game is as intense. If you're good enough to get to, say, level 25 (out of 255 IIRC), you know what I mean.

Robotron would cause most of today's "gamers" to have a stroke.

krush on
    edited February 2010
    I just remembered whilst sitting down and watching TV where an advert for a tabloid came on.

"John terry's wife is sticking by him after he cheated, find out why inside!"

If the title on the inside page isn't "And here is a scanned image of John terry's bank account statement" then whatever they are saying is lies.

John Terry is an international Soccer player playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world by the way, and is on about £120,000 a week.

Johannen on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have a real problem with celebrity culture and how useless socialites and the like are fawned over in the media.

I don't give a shit if Cheryl Cole has separated, why the fuck is it on the news as the third of fourth item?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited February 2010
    I have a real problem with celebrity culture and how useless socialites and the like are fawned over in the media.

I don't give a shit if Cheryl Cole has separated, why the fuck is it on the news as the third of fourth item?

(hands you a shot of gin)

have a round on me.

Like this whole Tiger Woods thing... I could really care less if he shagged Chelsea and Hillary Clinton at the same time with Oprah fondling his nuts at the same time (though I'd give him a hearty hand shake for pulling that off)... Celeb personal life is their business. I don't care and it pisses me off to no end that they get soooooooo much press time when REAL newsworthy stories gen next to none.

krush on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dear Hawaii:

Fuck your inflated food prices. A goddamn fast food combo meal should not cost me 10 bucks. A gallon of milk should not cost $6. A loaf of bread should not run $4. You have great weather, but seriously fuck your food prices.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ahahaha! $10 would buy you a combo meal, a gallon of milk and a loaf of wheat bread on the mainland. And you might have some change left over.

emnmnme on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ahahaha! $10 would buy you a combo meal, a gallon of milk and a loaf of wheat bread on the mainland. And you might have some change left over.

:x:x:x

You [strike]bastard[/strike]. Silly goose.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    edited February 2010
    Robo, I think you mean silly goose. :P

I have one of my big grumps of the season actually, what the hell happened to Pop music?! You know this shits got bad when you start missing nSync and the Backstreet Boys. I mean hell people, Michael Jackson's music was classed as Pop music.

Technically it's just whatever music is popular of the day but this lady GaGa, Beyonce pretending to self love with a gun, talentless drole is just enough, enough I say.

I want a new law in where if you don't write either the lyrics or the music you can't sing it or get ay money for it.

Johannen on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also why are some games released a few days earlier in the US than the rest of the world? I can understand physical copies, having to send them out etc. but why does digital distribution have to wait too? As I remember I had Borderlands pre-loaded on Steam the same day the US got it released, yet I had to wait 4 days to play it.

Same with movies, probably due to distribution laws or somesuch nonsense but still sucks.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • SpindizzySpindizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The grump of today is boy racers...may they all crash and die in fireballs of their own making.

I'm enjoying this...Also enjoying how its seemingly a British moaning thread.

Seconded on the goosing trains - took me three hours to get to Leicester from Kings Cross - normally a journey just over an hour...

Spindizzy on
    edited February 2010

buy the milk and bread at Walmart and you'll have about $4 left over.

krush on
    edited February 2010
    Also why are some games released a few days earlier in the US than the rest of the world? I can understand physical copies, having to send them out etc. but why does digital distribution have to wait too? As I remember I had Borderlands pre-loaded on Steam the same day the US got it released, yet I had to wait 4 days to play it.

Same with movies, probably due to distribution laws or somesuch nonsense but still sucks.

In Japan Yakuza 3 came out a year ago, as did White Knight Chronicles, and FFXIII is already out...... they love to do this, although in these cases it's normally when awaiting the language translations. Still makes me :x though.

Johannen on
    edited February 2010
    Spindizzy wrote: »
    The grump of today is boy racers...may they all crash and die in fireballs of their own making.

Seconded on the goosing trains - took me three hours to get to Leicester from Kings Cross - normally a journey just over an hour...

boy racers??? you mean the asshats with fart pipes on their cars, drop kits, 42" wheels and tires like rubberbands who believe that the gigantic section of railroad track they have bolted to trunk of their shitbox makes them go faster???

92315d1230869929-valve-mousepad-ricer.jpg

yeah... fuck them.

krush on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spindizzy wrote: »

Ideally, their fireballs would burn hot enough to erase any evidence of their passing, but stay relatively dim so as not to contribute to the ever-growing light pollution problem in cities.

nescientist on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Only one I really have is kids who play in the street and don't rightly care that a car is coming. I know we don't all have huge yards or flat enough driveways for a basketball hoop, but when a car comes you get out of the way!

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I submit my G5, a wondrous, freestanding device which seems incapable of having a weeklong freakout at least twice a month. My G4 moves as slowly as a log with webbed feet, but dammit, it has never had any problems whatsoever. Is is so damned taxing for these modern devices to play music, have a browser window open, and alot a reasonable amount of resources left over for Photoshop? Thank the maker for firewire.

Linespider5 on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hate these kids we have working for us. You know when you come up and tell me that you finished the program and it's ready to use? Guess what I'm going to do. I'm going to try to use it. "Oh, it's not done." Then why the hell did you sit there in the meeting and tell me it's done?

Jesus christ on a crutch. At least I can fire them if they don't shape up.

Kakodaimonos on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The only bad thing about living in Cornwall is that it takes forever to fucking get anywhere.

It took me 15 FUCKING HOURS TO GET FROM CORNWALL TO COPENHAGEN, DENMARK. It takes my friend 10 hours to get to bloody Leeds. Leeds is IN ENGLAND.

Fucking hell, public transport in the UK.

Cristo on
    edited February 2010
    The Americans haven't got an interstate rail system though, they pretty much have to fly or drive.

Our system does suck damn balls though, and then there is the silly silly goose who proposed the new 200+mph tracks for the UK meaning a replacement, of all lines as well as a major overhaul of the routes. Problem is, it will take 40+ years to do.

Johannen on
  • CristoCristo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Americans haven't got an interstate rail system though, they pretty much have to fly or drive.

Our system does suck damn balls though, and then there is the silly silly goose who proposed the new 200+mph tracks for the UK meaning a replacement, of all lines as well as a major overhaul of the routes. Problem is, it will take 40+ years to do.

Yeah but then when I'm 59, it'll be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

Cristo on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm turning 33 in a few days. Does that make me an elder in this forum?

And, actually, I do care that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.

Slider on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1330

All about Penn State and partying.

I'm a year and a half out of college and already I hate goddamn college kids.

KalTorak on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm sick of pussies who are too scared to pee in a urinal so they go into the stalls and spray down the seats like an animal. For the love of god, how hard is it to lift up the seat with the tip of your shoe?

It's like they're afraid if they use the urinal a co-worker is going to walk by, look down, and say "Whoa, small dick. We can't be friends."

My comfort poops are more important than your feelings of inadequacy and shame.

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Robo, I think you mean silly goose. :P

I have one of my big grumps of the season actually, what the hell happened to Pop music?! You know this shits got bad when you start missing nSync and the Backstreet Boys. I mean hell people, Michael Jackson's music was classed as Pop music.

Technically it's just whatever music is popular of the day but this lady GaGa, Beyonce pretending to self love with a gun, talentless drole is just enough, enough I say.

I want a new law in where if you don't write either the lyrics or the music you can't sing it or get ay money for it.

That produces the problem of musicians with no musical skill, such as Bob Dylan, The Beetles, and really everything else from the '60's and '70's.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • GeorgeWashingtonPlunkittGeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're going to bash The Beatles at least get their name right.

GeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're going to bash The Beatles at least get their name right.

I'll get their name right when they start singing in tune.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • GeorgeWashingtonPlunkittGeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pfffft. Kids today do not know good music.

<---- Millennial who listens almost exclusively to music from the 60's and 70's.

GeorgeWashingtonPlunkitt on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also Lady Gaga writes her own songs. And plays the piano.

KalTorak on