As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grumpy Old Men, Get your [Grump] On.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The rolling stones are terrible

stop pretending otherwise

nexuscrawler on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    Why do kids need cell phones grumble grumble.
    Know when I got my first cell phone? About two years ago. I was 24.

And it was one of those phones you had to load with minutes from a card. I only got an actual plan about 6 months ago and feel like I'm being hugely ripped off (seriously, $30+ a month just to talk on a phone?).

Prepaid phones are the best.

KalTorak on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Are terrible? Sure. Were terrible? Hell no.

You know, I was hoping this thread would make me feel grumpy and old in agreement with the other posters herein.

Lawndart on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    [strike]Goddam[/strike] silly goose kids and their super phones. Why the hell do they have to whip those damn things out during the middle of Monday morning management meetings? I've got things to say and they're just typing away to that hooker they met last night at the clubs. Put the damn thing away and listen to me!!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    [strike]Goddam[/strike] silly goose kids and their super phones. Why the hell do they have to whip those damn things out during the middle of Monday morning management meetings? I've got things to say and they're just typing away to that hooker they met last night at the clubs. Put the damn thing away and listen to me!!

People are kicked out of meetings if they do that. I didn't even bring my phone with me to meetings when I found that out. (This was when I worked in Pharmaceuticals). IT's annoying and it's not like you have anything pertinent that you can't answer AFTER the fucking meeting. 1 hour, really?

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »

Are terrible? Sure. Were terrible? Hell no.

You know, I was hoping this thread would make me feel grumpy and old in agreement with the other posters herein.

The problem is there's a bunch of dumb kids hanging out around here. They're going to come in and post in the grumpy thread, just to piss us off.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited February 2010
    I'm 28 :P

i just don't view everything old through rose-tinted glasses

nexuscrawler on
  • Jademonkey79Jademonkey79 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

As an opinion, I can respect this.

even if it's wrong

Jademonkey79 on
    "We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    LeCaustic wrote: »

People are kicked out of meetings if they do that. I didn't even bring my phone with me to meetings when I found that out. (This was when I worked in Pharmaceuticals). IT's annoying and it's not like you have anything pertinent that you can't answer AFTER the fucking meeting. 1 hour, really?

On the other hand, has there ever been a managerial meeting with content more worthy of attention than the proper format of your its forms?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Gordon Brown. Stop going on shit TV shows and either do your job properly, or go on a TV show worth it's salt and talk about something other than your personal life.

I would fucking love to see him on Newsnight getting chewed out by Paxman.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    Why do kids need cell phones grumble grumble.
    Know when I got my first cell phone? About two years ago. I was 24.

And it was one of those phones you had to load with minutes from a card. I only got an actual plan about 6 months ago and feel like I'm being hugely ripped off (seriously, $30+ a month just to talk on a phone?).

see... I kinda wish phones cost $1000 like they did when I was fresh out of high school. That way, more stupid people wouldn't have phones. And they should go back to being big as fuck too and get rid of the bluetooth earpieces while we're at it. That way, making a phone call requires a lot of work. Work that should get you to pull off the road to take that call instead of blabbering like an idiot while hurtling down the freeway at 80mph.

Texters (look, I made a new term), however, is reserved for a special bit of my wrath. After having been nearly crushed by a coupla semi's, nearly broadsided by stupid fucks careening through lights that just changed to red, and having random tard monkeys drift over into my lane, I think I should be allowed to carry a shoulder fired Stinger plus many spare missiles in the car with me to KILL every one I see texting while driving.

krush on
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loathe the BlueTools. You know, the ones who never take the earpieces out. There has never been one designed that doesn't make you look 100% ridiculous, like you have some kind of cancerous growth you have just learned to live with.

I would almost respect a full-on headset more, just because it would look like an actual thing, and not something one hands to children to play with in lieu of an actual thing.

It is the visual version of the loud cellphone conversation. It's like, cells became so ubiquitous, and people using them so obnoxious, they needed to one-up the "look at me" factor.

Entriech on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    _J_ wrote: »
    The pants kids wear today are not the pants I wore when I was their age.

Now I am told that i need to wear pants that are similar to the pants which are now fashionable.

This is not how I want it to be.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e3aea2357c/pants-on-the-ground

emnmnme on
    edited February 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

Now I am told that i need to wear pants that are similar to the pants which are now fashionable.

The only reason American Idol/X-Factor isn't mentioned in this thread is because it brings us videos like this.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm 28 :P

i just don't view everything old through rose-tinted glasses
    Rose-tinted, hell.

The Stones were the greatest rock band in the history of the world. This is scientifically provable.

Prove: The Rolling Stones were the greatest rock band in the world.

Step 1: Look at Mick Jagger.
    Step 2: No, seriously. LOOK at him.
    Step 3: He's looked exactly the same since '72.
    Step 4: At one point, women were throwing themselves at him.

Proof complete.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    People who drive and don't use their signals, I get paranoid just passing other cars in this situation.

People not using their headlights in rainy weather so it's hard to seem them through my wiper-less rear view window.

Not having a wiper on my rear view window.

Talking on cell phones while driving, in most cases you never ever ever ever have to talk to someone while you're driving, unless it's a real emergency. REAL.

I don't have any sympathy for the deaths of irresponsible people but don't put the ones who follow the rules in jeopardy of your vanity.

Also this thread doesn't have enough grump in it.

McAllen on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Entriech wrote: »
    I loathe the BlueTools. You know, the ones who never take the earpieces out. There has never been one designed that doesn't make you look 100% ridiculous, like you have some kind of cancerous growth you have just learned to live with.

It should be a law that Bluetooth headsets have to have a big-ass antenna coming out of the top. Like the kind you'd see on the hood of a car 10 years ago. It can be functional or not, I don't care. Just give me a visual clue for why you're standing on the street talking to yourself so I don't have to wonder why you're yelling at me.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2010
    Screw Facebook too. It started as a neat alternative to emailing or instant messaging but now it's just clogged with useless shit. No I do not want to help you build a farm or play poker with you.

Echoing the text messaging too. Calling someone is more personal and a lot faster.

mere_immortal on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »

It should be a law that Bluetooth headsets have to have a big-ass antenna coming out of the top. Like the kind you'd see on the hood of a car 10 years ago. It can be functional or not, I don't care. Just give me a visual clue for why you're standing on the street talking to yourself so I don't have to wonder why you're yelling at me.
    This is especially a problem if you've got some sort of head covering. I've got nothing against traditional Islamic dress on the whole, but I'm hard pressed to come up with a more disorienting experience than having a woman who is apparently by herself yell your name while facing the opposite direction, and follow it up with a string of obscenities.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2010
    Bluetooth guys are pretty annoying. You're talking with your wife about groceries buddy. Stop pretending your headset makes you look like a fucking secret Service agent.

nexuscrawler on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    -

Andrew_Jay on
    edited February 2010
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. My least favorite people ever are car modders. The whole business is so fucking ostentatious. It's all about buying crappy cars and making them as loud and stupid looking as possible. I used to work with a bunch of people who were really into it too. One guy was like 35, lived with his parents and would talk about his fucking TransAm like 5 hours a day. The thing was to overpowered he couldn't even drive it when it rained.

I swear everytime I see a jackass drive down the road in his fucking purple Honda Accord with triple exhausts and a spoiler I thank god I don't own a gun.

nexuscrawler on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The world is so full of wusses nowadays. I think the school system is breeding a generation of wussy kids who don't get enough PE/recess time and spend too much time engrossed in meaningless "entertainment" that teaches them they don't have to work hard to kick back and relax. Kids are relaxing without actually doing anything to earn it. In my day we played outside in the neighborhood, sometimes *ghasp* after dark. We got dirty, climbed trees, light stuff on fire, threw rocks at stuff, and ran around the neighborhood with replica rifles that had real wood. We had bullies too, but you either fought them or got through it.

I had a kid who used to pick on me constantly when I was around 7. After telling my mom this so many times, she just told me if he ever says that again punch him in the mouth. So, he did, and I did what my mom told me and I kicked his little 7 year old ass. Kid didn't bother me anymore and we were able to be friends, even spent the night at his house a few times.

In junior high I had a kid punching me on the arm in gym class and after telling him to stop about 5 times and that I was going to do something if he didn't, he continued. I punched him in the face as hard as I could and pelted him with a barrage of hits until he ran off. Kid never bothered me anymore. I miss the fact that you could solve a problem like this, get over it, and not have to worry about someone bringing a gun to school.

I think worse than any evil title I could bestow on our society (The United States), I would say we've become a silly one. We are writing ourselves out of relevence on this planet by each successful generation becoming ignorant and unable to deal with even the smallest of life's problems.

RocketSauce on
    edited February 2010

Pants fail

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rocket, that has far less to due with the school system, and everything to due with helicopter parents and litigation threats. Everyone's afraid of harm or lawsuit.

Playing outside in the Dark? Pedophiles will abduct you!
    Dirty? Disease!
    Climbing Trees? Broken limbs! Assuming you can find a tree we didn't cut down!
    Fire? Junior Arsonist!
    Throwing rocks? Vandalism!
    Toy Rifles? COLUMBINE!

Take all that fear, and throw it at the school, now. Fuck no they aren't going to allow shit if every time Bobby comes home with a tear in his eye the District is going to have to pay $3.6m.

The problems are real, but the schools are another symptom, not the cause.

Houn on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Houn wrote: »
    Rocket, that has far less to due with the school system, and everything to due with helicopter parents and litigation threats. Everyone's afraid of harm or lawsuit.

Dirty? Disease!
    Fire? Junior Arsonist!
    Toy Rifles? COLUMBINE!

Take all that fear, and throw it at the school, now. Fuck no they aren't going to allow shit if every time Bobby comes home with a tear in his eye the District is going to have to pay $3.6m.

And this goes into teaching as well. It's exactly why I don't want to go into teaching; you're paid shit and you get disrespected to hell.

Brings me to my next complaint - people who annoyingly ask why I don't want to teach or push me to teach. I'd only teach college/graduate level because I know I can do whatever the fuck I want and they have to deal with it. Below that I have to worry about feelings and...parents. Fuck THAT

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can I complain about useless doctors here? Cause holy shit am I tired of useless doctors.

Doctors who have no interest in listening to your medical complaints and instead just make one assumption after another about your health.

"Hey doctor, I'm having a lot of stress in my life right now because of grad school applications and my job, and I had a panic attack at work today."
    "Oh, you're one of those people that always has a lot of anxiety!"
    "...No, I'm just feeling anxious because of some of the shit going on in my life right now."
    "So you've felt this before, around exams, right?"
    "...No, nothing like this before. Like I said, I had a panic attack."
    "Oh, you get those a lot?"
    "...No. Look, is there anything you can give me to help me calm down at least for the next few weeks?"
    "*SIGH* yeah here take these and you'll feel better in a few days."
    Then she leaves.

At which point she gives me a sample pack of 7 pills of Cipralex/Lexapro, which are SSRIs. SSRIs are for people who have chronic anxiety or depression, not something acute caused by their environment. SSRIs take 2-3 weeks to fully kick in, so these 7 pills would do nothing to help me. Also, while starting SSRIs or being weened off them, they can cause panic attacks. These were literally the worst possible thing she could have given me for my problem. She SHOULD have given me something like xanax, but I couldn't think of the name of it while I was there.

She also spent 15 minutes asking me about grad school while I tried to change the subject back to my medical problems, then bitched me out for taking too much of her time and wouldn't give me a referral or the forms to go get some blood tests done for an unrelated issue. Both of which I also mentioned when I got there and she proceeded to completely ignore.

Asiina on
    edited February 2010
    Asiina come to the US sometime

you can get care like accompanied by a 500 dollar bill the next week

nexuscrawler on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Dirty? Disease!
    Fire? Junior Arsonist!
    Toy Rifles? COLUMBINE!

And then they took away conkers. I loved that game as a kid, and nobody batted an eyelid about the possibility of a horse-chestnut seed exploding in your face. I guess that also ties in with what RocketSauce was sayi, what with kids being nurtured way too much due to fear of liability.

Dunxco on
    edited February 2010
    Health and safety is so ridiculous now in general, not just for kids.

I suppose it's to stop people suing everyone, but everyone does that anyway.

mere_immortal on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    Can I complain about useless doctors here? Cause holy shit am I tired of useless doctors.

Doctors who have no interest in listening to your medical complaints and instead just make one assumption after another about your health.

"Hey doctor, I'm having a lot of stress in my life right now because of grad school applications and my job, and I had a panic attack at work today."
    "Oh, you're one of those people that always has a lot of anxiety!"
    "...No, I'm just feeling anxious because of some of the shit going on in my life right now."
    "So you've felt this before, around exams, right?"
    "...No, nothing like this before. Like I said, I had a panic attack."
    "Oh, you get those a lot?"
    "...No. Look, is there anything you can give me to help me calm down at least for the next few weeks?"
    "*SIGH* yeah here take these and you'll feel better in a few days."
    Then she leaves.

At which point she gives me a sample pack of 7 pills of Cipralex/Lexapro, which are SSRIs. SSRIs are for people who have chronic anxiety or depression, not something acute caused by their environment. SSRIs take 2-3 weeks to fully kick in, so these 7 pills would do nothing to help me. Also, while starting SSRIs or being weened off them, they can cause panic attacks. These were literally the worst possible thing she could have given me for my problem. She SHOULD have given me something like xanax, but I couldn't think of the name of it while I was there.

She also spent 15 minutes asking me about grad school while I tried to change the subject back to my medical problems, then bitched me out for taking too much of her time and wouldn't give me a referral or the forms to go get some blood tests done for an unrelated issue. Both of which I also mentioned when I got there and she proceeded to completely ignore.

Kids and their pill popping for every goddamn thing. Treating manic depression or chronic anxiety is one thing, but popping pills because life is stressful lately is ridiculous.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    More yoga, less pills!

emnmnme on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Dirty? Disease!
    Fire? Junior Arsonist!
    Toy Rifles? COLUMBINE!

I think it's pretty equal, actually. I have plenty of first hand experience working with schools and parents. I find both are contributing to a generation of kids who haven't learned how to deal with conflict, other than having an adult push the issue aside. I see this in schools all the time. I've sat in classrooms and felt embarassed for our country at how awful some of our children perform.

RocketSauce on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also Lady Gaga writes her own songs. And plays the piano.
    And has a penis.
    The Cat wrote: »
    There's a slow leak in my washing machine and I can't find where it is
    You may have already looked at this. But, I thought it was interesting enough.

GungHo on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Agreed. Freshmen in High School, for example; good lord, just shut the fuck up, listen to what the teacher has to say, and stop acting like a spoiled little goose. It's absolutely ridiculous the amount of disrespect and belligerence these kids have, and you'd think by the time they're in 9th grade, they'd have matured a bit from first grade. But no. None. No progress. The teachers are so beaten down from these kids that I was the only one in the entire classroom who could hold a conversation with the teacher. They seemed so grateful to have someone who wasn't ignoring every word they said.

Sigh.

Also celebrities, yeah. I could give less of a shit over whether Taylor Swift is having emotional issues or whatever the hell is going on. Leave these people alone and allow them to have a normal life instead of forcing them to do drugs to cope with the constant stalking that paparazzis do.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited February 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    And has a penis.

Seriously? Have you seen the shit she wears?

No room for a friggin' paperclip in there, much less a whole penis.

KalTorak on
    edited February 2010
    More yoga, less pills!

But mah doctor tells me I needs 'em to get mah pecker up!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    edited February 2010
    And has a penis.
    The Cat wrote: »
    There's a slow leak in my washing machine and I can't find where it is
    You may have already looked at this. But, I thought it was interesting enough.

Saying Lady Gaga writes her own songs isn't saying much. She (questionable) would probably be a better artists if she (questionable) didn't write her own songs, instead having a seasoned vet write something that's actually good instead of the stream-of-consciousness-trainwrecks she's "singing".

krush on
    edited February 2010
    And has a penis.

Seriously? Have you seen the shit she wears?

No room for a friggin' paperclip in there, much less a whole penis.

they said the same about RuPaul...

krush on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    More yoga, less pills!

But mah doctor tells me I needs 'em to get mah pecker up!

In this situation, you don't necessarily have to be the one doing yoga.

Octoparrot on