As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HEY, THIS PERVERT'S TAKING PICTURES OF THIS POOR DEFENSELESS KID b-but it's my son

13»

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So apparently this company called "RuffleButts" is pledging to help this girl who has Neuroblastoma. Basically they pledge to donate $1 for everyone who becomes a fan of their page on facebook.

Now, normally I would have no problems becoming a fan, because to me it's one click. However, upon looking at what RuffleButts is, and seeing their fan page main image, I paused. RuffleButts seems to be a product line that sells pink frilly/ruffly garments that kids wear over their diapers. Their main facebook page image is a picture of a baby's bum wearing one of these frilly garments.

As I'm a guy, I'm hesitant to become a fan just because of how I may come across to folks, and I've noticed that of the friends who have become a fan, they are all female. I found out about this company/group from a couple friend's news on my newsfeed.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20090813

If you take your eyes off of your child for even a second, they will be molested. You don't know what's in the ball pit at a McDonald's playland. There could be child molesters lurking under the colorful top-layer of balls. Bathrooms in a public place? Molested. If you let your child walk to school by themselves, they will be abducted and their raped corpse found in a ditch two states over.

But Uncle Steve would never do such a thing and how dare you suggest it.

Spoony on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoony wrote: »

If you take your eyes off of your child for even a second, they will be molested. You don't know what's in the ball pit at a McDonald's playland. There could be child molesters lurking under the colorful top-layer of balls. Bathrooms in a public place? Molested. If you let your child walk to school by themselves, they will be abducted and their raped corpse found in a ditch two states over.

And if your kid suggests otherwise, you should arrange for them to have a private meeting with Father O'Reilly to talk about lying.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    The responses to that Dear Abby are more reasonable than her intial response.

I remember back when I was a kid, we'd have to walk to our bus stop, which was usually out of sight of my house. By the time I stopped riding the bus in 10th grade, it seemed like there was a stop every 50 feet. They were basically picking kids up at their houses instead of at a grouping. It's kinda sad to me.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I remember back when I was a kid, we'd have to walk to our bus stop, which was usually out of sight of my house. By the time I stopped riding the bus in 10th grade, it seemed like there was a stop every 50 feet. They were basically picking kids up at their houses instead of at a grouping. It's kinda sad to me.

Is it bad that I find nearly all the responses to be kind of paranoid? Maybe I am just a product of a different era. Starting when I was six, I'd fly from Moncton, NB to Toronto by myself. Mom went with me as far as the security check, and Grandma picked me up at the arrival gate. If anything, I'd say my mom was a bit on the smothering side.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoony wrote: »

And if your kid suggests otherwise, you should arrange for them to have a private meeting with Father O'Reilly to talk about lying.

I feel sorry for Miss Van Buren's 7 year old son. She probably won't let him take off his tracking collar until he's 18 and physically stable enough for the rectal tracker implant.

I'm curious why her tiny Dear Abby spot on this site has an EVE Online ad on top. Seemed out of place.

Getting back to the original story of this thread, seriously, it makes sense that mall cops would have nothing better to do then look for pedophiles even where they don't exist as to prove their usefulness and alleviate boredom. But even more seriously, if you simply look at the logic behind all this... I just don't understand the thought process behind Fully clothed child + man of similar appearance he came in with + mall ride + fun and pictures = BAD! And bringing actual law enforcement into it which should have better things to do then show a family where their hard earned taxes go by ruffling their feathers for something so innocent.

Protecting your kids is fine and wanting to keep them safe from the real threat of pedophilia is great, but there is an increasing line of stupidity behind this issue that makes me glad I don't have kids.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Is it bad that I find nearly all the responses to be kind of paranoid? Maybe I am just a product of a different era. Starting when I was six, I'd fly from Moncton, NB to Toronto by myself. Mom went with me as far as the security check, and Grandma picked me up at the arrival gate. If anything, I'd say my mom was a bit on the smothering side.

Kind of? Those are so far beyond paranoid, it's sickening.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    won't somebody please not think of the children!

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmmm re: the "man of similar appearance" comment - I get your point, but as a member of an interracial couple I can immediately see where this kind of thinking can lead to the bad place.

What if your children are adopted, or of another ethnicity than yourself (or are multi-racial)? Should white parents of a Chinese adopted girl have to carry around adoption papers? Should my future husband have to carry around a picture of himself next to me in the hospital bed holding a little biracial baby to prove he's not kidnapping/molesting the one he's walking around with 6 years later?

I'm pushing things down a slippery slope here, of course, but this just goes to show where this ridiculous path leads to. No offense to the poster, just illustrating the mindset of crazy pedo-phobes.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Hmmm re: the "man of similar appearance" comment - I get your point, but as a member of an interracial couple I can immediately see where this kind of thinking can lead to the bad place.

What if your children are adopted, or of another ethnicity than yourself (or are multi-racial)? Should white parents of a Chinese adopted girl have to carry around adoption papers? Should my future husband have to carry around a picture of himself next to me in the hospital bed holding a little biracial baby to prove he's not kidnapping/molesting the one he's walking around with 6 years later?

I'm pushing things down a slippery slope here, of course, but this just goes to show where this ridiculous path leads to. No offense to the poster, just illustrating the mindset of crazy pedo-phobes.

I forgot to take that into account, but you make a good point. The original thread point didn't elaborate on any of those details. Even if it was a misunderstanding of appearance, the mall security officer still went over the line by just assuming pedophile and alerting law enforcement.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010
    I think that ultimately more social harm will occur by treating everyone with suspicion than by assuming that all is well unless there are pretty obvious signs to the contrary. I think this will be true even if the lack of paralyzing suspicion of every adult male results in a slight increase in molestation. Because for every child you rescue by being a paranoid loony, you probably sentence ten guys to permanent sex-offender status for something like peeing in a bush while drunk.

As to public restrooms, I took my daughter into the men's room until she was five. Now she can go into the ladies' room by herself, and I just wait outside the door. When in stores, I let her wander around semi-autonomously, provided she's within eye-shot. (And not running around causing mayhem, of course.) I mean, I was walking to school by myself by first grade, and when I was seven I could pretty much roam the neighborhood at will as long as my mom had a rough idea of when I would be back. So could every other kid I knew. I don't recall an epidemic of abduction or molestation.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    It's fear media, Jeffe. We hear about the stories more so the perception is that it's happening more.

If I recall, and I'm not entirely sure on this, the data says child abductions are happening at the same rate they were 30 years ago.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    As to public restrooms, I took my daughter into the men's room until she was five. Now she can go into the ladies' room by herself, and I just wait outside the door. When in stores, I let her wander around semi-autonomously, provided she's within eye-shot. (And not running around causing mayhem, of course.)

From the stories you tell, that sounds like never. Of course her schemes are probably more subtle and insidious.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2010
    As to public restrooms, I took my daughter into the men's room until she was five. Now she can go into the ladies' room by herself, and I just wait outside the door. When in stores, I let her wander around semi-autonomously, provided she's within eye-shot. (And not running around causing mayhem, of course.)

From the stories you tell, that sounds like never. Of course her schemes are probably more subtle and insidious.

Oh, you'd be surprised. She can be a goddamn terror when the mood strikes. I just brag less about the times when she refuses to sit at the table to eat her dinner and then throws a random object at her brother before stomping into Time-Out while wailing about how I'm the meanest Daddy in the world.

I mean, she's amazing and awesome, but she's also five.

(Though she's very well-behaved in public about 99% of the time. She saves all of her hissy fits for when she's at home.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I meant never not causing mayhem. Stupid ambiguous negatives.

Anecdote!
    There've been about 4 cases in the last 5 months of people trying to lure kids walking to/from the elementary and middle school near my house into their cars. Two of them were on consecutive days, and from descriptions it was different people both times. It's like my town suddenly grew a kidnapping ring.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, I love that your friend used a kind conversation that he had followed by absolutely no harm coming to a child as evidence of this cruel world where letting your kid leave your line of sight for five minutes means they will definitely be molested.

That's the point though, a kind conversation could have easily been used to lure the kid away. A kid isn't going to cry for help if he doesn't think he's in trouble.

This is exactly how the "Can you help me look for my puppy? He's lost" scam works.

That's the point though, none of that happened. In fact, that happening is such a vanishingly small possibility that it's almost insulting to think about it instead of the panoply of actual dangers that exist in the world. Like I said, the drive to school is thousands of times more dangerous than the events you described, yet no one gives a shit because that danger is an acceptable trade-off for convenience. I've known zero people who have been abducted, or even know someone who has. I've known ten who died in car crashes in the past decade.

Well, the .000001% chance that my kid will get abducted by a child molester is more than worth the trade-off of letting him out of my sight for more than 30 seconds. Christ, I spent my childhood wandering around my street and the woods where I could be raped at any time.

Actually, you were. You just blocked it out.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010

Oh, you'd be surprised. She can be a goddamn terror when the mood strikes. I just brag less about the times when she refuses to sit at the table to eat her dinner and then throws a random object at her brother before stomping into Time-Out while wailing about how I'm the meanest Daddy in the world.

I mean, she's amazing and awesome, but she's also five.

(Though she's very well-behaved in public about 99% of the time. She saves all of her hissy fits for when she's at home.)

This is actually the main benefit of our paranoia. They aren't nearly as worried in Israel, so the kids just leave parental eyeshot and tear up the place.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fear of predators: protecting [strike]your children[/strike] the world from [strike]the world[/strike] your children.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    JAEF wrote: »
    Women couldn't possibly harm our children. Or domestically abuse their significant others. Non-issue.

I don't see anyone here making that argument. Got something you need to get off your chest?

Lonelyhava made this claim, sort of.

No, she didn't. She noted that she gets a free pass because of societal perceptions.

Unfortunately, that's not entirely wrong. Rates of neglect and non-sexual abuse are roughly identical between parents of either gender (I don't know about non-carer relatives and friends), but child sexual abuse stats are pretty heavily skewed towards male-on-child. Its not fair that media moral panics stigmatise men associating with children, in fact its fucking ridiculous, but it doesn't come straight out of nowhere.

Cat did you miss the part where the other person said "woosh"?
    I did see that! I found it quite rude, and not very constructive, so I ignored it.
    I make faces at kids on the bus, or say hello if they're in line next to me at the grocery store. I don't think anyone would consider me a pedophile since it's a little difficult to kidnap a child while their guradian is standing right next to them.

This is a blog post that an old friend of mine made a few years ago. I figured it was appropriate.

*snip*

actually, its got bugger-all to do with anything, far as I can tell. I was pointing out that societal perceptions of men and women around children are well skewed in a terribly unfair manner that I dare say overprotects some children while endangering others, but that that unfairness does rest on a statistical skew in child sex abuse perpetrator demographics. And now you're posting a piece about someone being less vigilant than you thought they should be, which, fine, but has no logical connection to what I'm saying except at the end, where you speculate that other people might have thought he was a creep. But that's still just a tangential connection.

Maybe you need to explain yourself better?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The moral is that you shouldn't let your children ever be close friends with any adult, including yourself. Your best bet is to get all the parents in your neighborhood to agree to leave and let the children run the town.

Uhhh... That hasn't worked out very well in the past.
    image2on.jpg

image1hsp.jpg

Just saying.

You caught all the underlying references, but this particular plot is directly from an episode of South Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wacky_Molestation_Adventure

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Let's just rape children with wild abandon. That'll show the bastards! Fuck your kids, I don't care about them!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Pedophiles are a legitimate concern but we don't go after them. 90% of the time we go after people society has decided have to be pedophiles.

The guy down the street that keeps to himself never speaks to anyone and is always outside when your kids are, leering like some sort of vulture is fine

The guy who collects comic books and action figures and drives a vespa is a danger to the community and has to have raped 70 kids. I mean those are all clearly for children!

The soccer coach with a wife and 5 kids( none who were abused or have any evidence of it) is accused by a student and suddenly other members the most attention starved age group start "remembering" abuse too. No evidence? Lack of logic? Who cares?! Dudes marked for life he'll never work in that feild again and people will find out about this and harass him until he dies/ Changes his name/ Kills himself.

This photo incident true or not is still something that could happen and it's disgusting.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The moral is that you shouldn't let your children ever be close friends with any adult, including yourself. Your best bet is to get all the parents in your neighborhood to agree to leave and let the children run the town.

Uhhh... That hasn't worked out very well in the past.
    image2on.jpg

image1hsp.jpg

Just saying.

You caught all the underlying references, but this particular plot is directly from an episode of South Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wacky_Molestation_Adventure

that actually is what I was referencing, because that episode goes over this very thing

Parents freak out that people might rape kids, shenanigans ensue. It's available on their website

Edit: I think I'm actually thinking of a different one, maybe even a different series, anyway the whacky molestation adventure is more or less children of the corn
    Edit2: "Child Abduction is not Funny" was the one I was thinking of and got the details of the two mixed up

override367 on