As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: A Series of Tubes (Map pack out now!)

• DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    you need to make sure you don't have a bunch of Foreigner fans spawning next to you drawing its fire

Christ almighty I fucking hate this. If I'm standing with a Stinger aimed at the sky and the Harrier isn't shooting me, perhaps you silly geese might want to flock elsewhere or hold the fuck still for half a second so that I can put its lights out?

But nope, OMG GOTTA SPAWN AND RUSH OUT AND GET KILLED AND QQ MOAR.

I'd like to know just what is going through people's fucking heads while this giant helicopter is lumbering around turning them into hamburger. Instead of "Gee this thing sure is killing me, maybe I should lay low for a minute inside where it's safe!" it's more like "HURF DURF KILL MANS HEY WHY I DEAD NOW?!?!?"

Like how the fuck there always ALWAYS manages to be at least one person on your team that is like 3-25. How the shit do you die 25 times in one Team DM match? After the 10th time I'd just camp in a corner somewhere. You clearly aren't getting any kills so just try not to feed the other team killstreaks for a second please.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emp123 wrote: »
    Dangerous wrote: »
    Fuck I hate that. I always assumed it was just lag. Like on the other guy's screen he shot me before I fired so I was technically already dead when I fired it...Ok I guess that doesn't make much sense either. Still it's total bullshit.

Its really lame when you shoot your Spas into some dudes chest and you totally hear the gun go off but youre the dead one.

It also really annoys me that when I pull the pin on the semtex, if I die the semtex disappears.

Yeah, I decided to keep a count for a round, and 75% of my deaths involved me A) shooting a guy center mass with an SPAS and B) watching the killcam only to see that I never got the shot off in his universe.

Just one of the pitfalls of online gaming...you've got to deal with lag somehow, and in this case it's pretty much "whoever has the faster connection gets an X millisecond boost to all reaction times." Like dude, he popped up, I shot him instantly in the face with a load of buckshot, and on his screen it shows me whipping out a copy of War and Peace and reading it for a half an hour before he slowly whittles my life down with a silenced ACR before I even think to raise my weapon.

*sigh*

mcdermott on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just one of the pitfalls of online gaming when the company is too retarded to offer even the OPTION of dedicated servers raraghralksjdfbasdkcjhsdf rage.

Fixed. :x

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just one of the pitfalls of online gaming when the company is too retarded to offer even the OPTION of dedicated servers raraghralksjdfbasdkcjhsdf rage.

Sorry, but the problem exists regardless of dedicated servers. It's just how online gaming works - it happens in every online FPS I've ever played.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, man. Out of everything you could possibly hear at the end of a match from the other team, "Ahh, finally, it's over" ranks pretty damn highly.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emp123 wrote: »
    Best part of no dedicated servers means is that whenever the weather gets shitty the chances of getting a host with a ton of packet loss is practically guaranteed.

I'm not sure but am I think I am missing something here. How does weather effect packet loss unless someone is using satellite internet?

Do cable substations or DSL lines get taken out by weather and require extra routing?

Maybe he plays via Verizon/ATT phone internet (I forget what its called)?

The local cable here is run across the phone lines. When it snows and get icy lines go down.

BlindPsychic on
    edited February 2010

Sorry, but the problem exists regardless of dedicated servers. It's just how online gaming works - it happens in every online FPS I've ever played.

Dedicated servers can reduce the issue. First, nobody has host advantage...everybody is (theoretically) equally fucked. Second, in general a good dedicated server can provide decent ping to everybody...this seems true for P2P only for vastly redefined version of "decent."

There was no reason to take away dedicated servers on PC. Hell, I wish they'd still put out games with dedicated servers on XBL (which they did, back in the day). It doesn't entirely fix the issue (you're still going to have lag here and there) but it's a vast improvement.

mcdermott on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm finally clicking with the game, and it's only taken 32 levels to do so :P

I can tell I'm doing better, though, because I have a better understanding of my whereabouts in the gameworld, in context to other people. I'm lobbing my Thumper rounds more accurately, and I'm leading sprinters with some solid chest/neck shots, recoiling into headshots.

It doesn't stop the fact that I'm still like, 6-12 in most games :cry:

Kami on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    M240 mastery and all LMG masteries complete.

Also I got 2 MP5K bullet penetration kills today. Progress!

SirToasty on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Definitely just got nuked by the enemy in Domination when the score was 199-124, my team winning.

BULL.

SHIT.

Yeah, shooting down air support is important. Those 25 kills didn't just magically appear in a pile of pixie dust and fairy coke.

Robman on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »
    M240 mastery and all LMG masteries complete.

Also I got 2 MP5K bullet penetration kills today. Progress!

I am looking forward to getting the F2000 mastery like I am a kick in the balls from a Clydesdale.

Robman on
  • TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mastery on all ARs except the F2000. woof.

TheSecretSeventh on
    PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You know your game is terrible when I have more fun chatting with someone while boosting challenges in Cage Match than actually playing the fucking game.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    18/25 Multi-Kill Frag Grenades.

Suck on that [strike]bitches.[/strike] silly geese

Burtletoy on
  • enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Dedicated servers can reduce the issue. First, nobody has host advantage...everybody is (theoretically) equally fucked. Second, in general a good dedicated server can provide decent ping to everybody...this seems true for P2P only for vastly redefined version of "decent."

There was no reason to take away dedicated servers on PC. Hell, I wish they'd still put out games with dedicated servers on XBL (which they did, back in the day). It doesn't entirely fix the issue (you're still going to have lag here and there) but it's a vast improvement.

Left 4 dead 2 has dedicated servers. Really doesn't fix the lag issue all that much.

enderjsv on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Metacortex wrote: »
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Metacortex wrote: »
    That's more likely a product of the game thinking you died before you fired said projectile.

I've tried it with a slower moving projectile over a long distance (like an RPG or AT4) and it will actually disappear if you die before it impacts. This has happened when I was host or had 4 bars as well.

I dunno. I've killed plenty of people with such weapons after my death, getting the points for killing them after dying and everything.

Yeah I have gotten it plenty of times too, even with throwing knives, which move considerably slower than rockets/noob tubes, etc.

How long after your death? Like "noob tube mutual killing"? Did you skip the killcam?

I've noticed claymores will stick around until you respawn, so if you stay in the killcam there is more of a chance of the guy that just killed you blundering into one. Perhaps the rockets also despawn when you respawn.

Arrath on
    edited February 2010
    Holy shit, pubs are terrible. We just won a Domination match 200 to 4.

Also I'm hereby starting a campaign for all 360 users to change their clan tags to WASD, and all PC users to ABXY. For no reason!

Willeth on
  • Swbbwnth SonSwbbwnth Son Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Thank you MW2 for this evening's festivities. In particular the game of Domination on Rundown when you spawned me under an enemy Harrier, and then spawned me on top of Willeth's care package marker. Back... to ... back. It's moments like that that make the game experience all the more satisfying. Again, thank you. I hope a dump truck falls on your mother from a completely unbelievable and unexpected direction.

Swbbwnth Son on
    Sebbenth Son on Xbox Live
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Question:

In HCTDM, if some Silly Goose on my team decides he is more deserving of my care package than I, and tells me so via the medium of akimbo rangers, am I in the wrong if I spend the next 45 minutes TK'ing him?

I feel like I'm maybe Chaotic Good in this situation.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
    edited February 2010
    Trust wrote: »
    Question:

In HCTDM, if some Silly Goose on my team decides he is more deserving of my care package than I, and tells me so via the medium of akimbo rangers, am I in the wrong if I spend the next 45 minutes TK'ing him?

No.

SirToasty on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Was your team ok with it? If so, yes it's fine, assuming he intentionally killed you. Bonus points if you violated his body after you killed him.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited February 2010
    Matchmaking keeps putting him on the enemy team now. I think it sides with me on this one.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got my first Tactical Nuke today! kaboom

YodaTuna on
    edited February 2010
    I should go for a nuke again. I think I could do it fairly often now.

I'm having so much fun with care package, predator, emergency airdrop though.

SirToasty on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There is a Multi-Frag III challenge.

Fuck you Modern War 2.

Burtletoy on
  • SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Question:

Oh Hell yeah!

fix'd

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
    edited February 2010
    P90 mastered. I think I'm going to stay away from SMGs for the rest of this prestige, now - maybe I'll have the AUG a go, finally.

Willeth on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Question:

No. In fact, I think you should make it your mission to follow him around to every game he's in and make sure he can never have fun again. No, I'm not kidding.

I despise people that do that. I earned this care package, go get your own.

Now, on the rare occasion that I've gotten Emer. Airdrops, I'll tell the entire team to gather round and grab something, the one caveat being that I get to pick the thing I want. Everything else is fair game. But if I'm just dropping care package, you are not a good person if you take it. I've defended other people's packages for them when they've died before. I live by a very strict code. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    F2000 mastery really isn't all that bad, but sometimes the FMJ kill thingy will make you want to murder your family. At times, it seems to have less bullet penetration than if SMGs and SRs had a deformed, dumpster baby that could do little more than drool and shit on things.

Also, I've run into a couple people who say that they'll kill people on their team for their CPs in HC. And, rightly so, if someone did that to me I would certainly TK them for the rest of the match w/ little thought as to the outcome. If I was lucky enough to have them on my team again I would be TKing them some more. So, I feel you were certainly within your rights.

edit: I like the way chilly thinks. Also, my nose is wet, my tail is cold, ah-E-achooo.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
    edited February 2010
    ITT: PA tells me I'm not a sociopath. Good times are had by all. I'm still following him from game to game, as I guess he doesn't know how to appear offline.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    3rd person is probably the most fun gametype to play with friends. I don't know what it is about seeing our character models, but we were laughing a whole lot win or lose.

Trying to make a flying V with 4 people was good times too, Infinity Ward should keep this gametype alive in future CoD's. Hell, I wouldn't mind if they make a separate game similar to SOCOM, but you know, better.

Ranced on
    edited February 2010
    Question:

No. In fact, I think you should make it your mission to follow him around to every game he's in and make sure he can never have fun again. No, I'm not kidding.

Now, on the rare occasion that I've gotten Emer. Airdrops, I'll tell the entire team to gather round and grab something, the one caveat being that I get to pick the thing I want. Everything else is fair game. But if I'm just dropping care package, you are not a good person if you take it. I've defended other people's packages for them when they've died before. I live by a very strict code. :D

Fuck that. If I have the ability to get your care package, odds are it's because you were either killed or taking your sweet ass time grabbing it. The actual owner has a HUGE advantage in the time it takes to cap it...you literally can not take somebody's care package from them if they're anywhere near it.

The issue Trust ran into was that, because he was playing HC, his teammate killed him to take his package. That's fucked. But I'm sick of dudes nerdraging at me because I walked up to their precious goodie crate. Seriously, dude, if I see you anywhere near it looking like you're going to grab it, it's all yours...I'll even cover you. If I don't, then yeah I'm gonna go try and grab it to keep the fucking enemy team from using your AC-130 to rape me. Call me crazy.

All that said, if some fuckstick TK'd me to take my package, then I'd tell my team exactly why I was about to proceed to making killing him my only mission in life. Then I'd follow him from game to game until he quit for the night (or dropped to non-HC).

mcdermott on
  • SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've had pretty bad luck with care packages/EADs. Usually I get precision airstrikes/UAVs (which aren't bad), but something tragic usually happens if I get a pave low or something awesome. The first time I got an AC130, a teammate managed to get it before I did. Granted, I did throw the marker in not a very good location (point A on underpass in a TDM game) but still...

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between the Intervention and the Barrett? What does the Intervention have over the Barrett? I've used both, and it seems like the Barrett has the advantage as a sniper rifle since you could conceivably choose to fire another shot quickly if needed.

Of course, I find the Intervention to be more fun to use (I feel more of a badass I suppose), but this has been bugging me recently.

Skye on
  • slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    there really is no difference between the Barrett and the Intervention according to the COD wiki. they both do the same amount of damage. the only real difference is that the Intervention is a bolt action rifle and the Barrett is semi-auto, but the non-visual recoil after you fire a shot with the Barrett forces you to wait almost the same amount of time in between shots as with the Intervention to keep your shots on target.

slurpeekilla on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Question:

Fuck that. If I have the ability to get your care package, odds are it's because you were either killed or taking your sweet ass time grabbing it. The actual owner has a HUGE advantage in the time it takes to cap it...you literally can not take somebody's care package from them if they're anywhere near it.

The issue Trust ran into was that, because he was playing HC, his teammate killed him to take his package. That's fucked. But I'm sick of dudes nerdraging at me because I walked up to their precious goodie crate. Seriously, dude, if I see you anywhere near it looking like you're going to grab it, it's all yours...I'll even cover you. If I don't, then yeah I'm gonna go try and grab it to keep the fucking enemy team from using your AC-130 to rape me. Call me crazy.

All that said, if some fuckstick TK'd me to take my package, then I'd tell my team exactly why I was about to proceed to making killing him my only mission in life. Then I'd follow him from game to game until he quit for the night (or dropped to non-HC).

I never said to let the enemy get your teammate's package. Like I said, I've defended them before. I just don't pick them up if they're not mine. Because people have done that to me and I don't like it. Golden Rule, etc.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just got online, hope my invite got accepted. Had to post because I just got my first good K/D went 19-8. Mostly because 2-3 people were running around knifing and I was carrying an AA-12. But I also really like the FAMAS. Got my first double kill collateral I think, one burst killed 2 guys.

EDIT: Also I am now headset and micless...meaning I won't get to hear any of you rage...nor can I tell you to take my care package...if it isn't an AC130 or Chopper Gunner they are fair game, in fact, please take them. I need more guns.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh wow. Just had an estate, spawned at bottom, got sniped twice trying to head up the hill. So I switch from my house storming marathon build to my trusty SCAR-H and sneak around the way of the boathouse. Knife a sniper outside, shoot a guy down, charge inside the house and gun down two more with my AA-12 and knife a 5th guy.

Called in my predator and got a kill, so in come the harriers. End result? Chopper gunner at 1600 points :D

Arrath on
    edited February 2010
    Question:

I never said to let the enemy get your teammate's package. Like I said, I've defended them before. I just don't pick them up if they're not mine. Because people have done that to me and I don't like it. Golden Rule, etc.

See, and I'm Golden-Ruling it up too. Because I absolutely want teammates to pick my packages up. If I'm there, I'll get it regardless...I'll simply cap it out from under them (given the quick-cap the owner of the package gets). If I'm not there, I'd prefer my teammate just grab the damn thing rather than risk the enemy getting it. Having your team defend the package while you respawn, and possibly trek across the map to get it, is (generally) fucktarded. Just get it, use it, and win. Team game, and all.

So, decided to experiment a little with other gametypes. Got into a Sabotage game, and was greeted with one of those "dude grabs the bomb and hides it, or places it in an area that's impossible to get to without tying, so he can play unlimited Deathmatch" games. Tried Capture the Flag, and was greeted with a kid who had a modded Xbox, doing all kinds of hackery. So, back to TDM/Dom/HCTDM it is.

Had some good games, otherwise.

mcdermott on
    edited February 2010
    SF_Dhalsim wrote: »
    Question:

Oh Hell yeah!

fix'd
    No see, I said no because he asked if he was in the wrong. So I said, no you are not in the wrong.

Now you are enthusiastic or angry about him being in the wrong.

e: Also, I have finally settled into sniping. Working on Intervention mastery currently. My brother gave me a great tip for sniper FMJ kills. One shot kills through unbroken or cracked glass.

SirToasty on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Interjection, I'm sure your invite was accepted, I'll recieve any outstanding invites soon.

PaperLuigi44 on