As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: A Series of Tubes (Map pack out now!)

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I guess it's Vietnam next after all. Or at least part of it is. To this game, I'm finding my patience with sniping is increasing, and have now taken the role of "That bastard in the trees with the suppressed Walther and a shitload of C4".

Mechanical on
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dang...I don't know if it is my play improving or what, but before when I was playing I was lucky to get a K/D of 1. Now I don't know if it is the FAMAS or what, but like 80% of my rounds are above 2 K/D. I think I am going to call it a night...I think I am going to go out and just buy a microphone because I got an EAD and my team couldn't hold a spot for me to drop it at. Then the round ended...led that round at like 19 kills 7 deaths.

And is there any way to check the other PA account friends list? Because there was only one person on playing MW2 earlier.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dangerous wrote: »
    I'd like to know just what is going through people's fucking heads while this giant helicopter is lumbering around turning them into hamburger. Instead of "Gee this thing sure is killing me, maybe I should lay low for a minute inside where it's safe!" it's more like "HURF DURF KILL MANS HEY WHY I DEAD NOW?!?!?"

Like how the fuck there always ALWAYS manages to be at least one person on your team that is like 3-25. How the shit do you die 25 times in one Team DM match? After the 10th time I'd just camp in a corner somewhere. You clearly aren't getting any kills so just try not to feed the other team killstreaks for a second please.

Yeah, that pisses me off, too. You can play really well and go on a huge killstreak, only to have your work undone by some dipshit who keeps mashing X and trying the same shit that does. not. work.

Too often, the match outcome is determined solely by which team gets stuck with this lemming, who probably should turn off his console, pack his MW2 disc back into the envelope, and send it the fuck back to Gamefly.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would not have been fun company last night guys.

joshgotro on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Argh the chopper gunner is frustrating on scrapyard. Spawns in 2 miles outside the map proper, takes half its duration to get to the map. Then you get 2 kills before it gets shot down.

Arrath on
    edited February 2010
    All helicopters are at that super disadvantage on Scrapyard. If you're on the right side of the map you can actually take down the Chopper Gunner with only one Stinger if it's still far enough away from the fence.

joshgotro on
  • GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So after MANY 5-7-11 beauties today (21-0 for my Flawless FINALLY) I have to say, I believe the Chopper Gunner is ASSLOADS better than the AC-130.

Also, I may have recently been converted to the Church of SPAS over my M1014, its range is pretty retarded.

Al

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."
    edited February 2010
    Go forth and be baptised in the blood of the enemy child.

joshgotro on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm almost at SoH VI, and it's pretty funny to see it in action with the M1014.

It's like... I'm pretty sure the gun is reloaded before I press the button.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Quick question, do you generally get more xp as a round bonus if you use equipment you've barely touched? I had a few stellar rounds with the SCAR as my main weapon, and got a match bonus of 800+, yet when I had a fairly bad round with the P90 as my main (a gun I haven't used at all), my match bonus was 2000+.

Kami on
    edited February 2010
    I ran a test on match bonus in 3rd person cage match simply shooting c4, claymores, and tactical insertions and getting no kills or deaths nets you 3223 match bonus every time at level 60.

joshgotro on
    edited February 2010
    Ran into 2 super high speed games tonight. That was..special.
    Circle strafing around their team at light speed with a full auto SPAS was hilarious though.

Arrath on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This first prestige made me good enough to go from struggling to get a predator to going 5-7-11 when i'm focused enough on it.

Also i just knifed my way to two harriers on terminal. Like 2 times all knife kills. Once i got next to them right as the whole team spawned. Killed the two dudes that noticed me then backstabbed the rest. Good times. Good times.

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2010
    Turning up the sensitivity was what did it for me. Went from struggling to get a Predator to 13 CG's so far today.

Arrath on
  • Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think i should take my sensitivity lower maybe. Mine is up hella high and i keep overshooting my target.

Canada_jezus on
    edited February 2010
    What do you use? I vary between 7 and 8.

Arrath on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kami wrote: »
    Quick question, do you generally get more xp as a round bonus if you use equipment you've barely touched? I had a few stellar rounds with the SCAR as my main weapon, and got a match bonus of 800+, yet when I had a fairly bad round with the P90 as my main (a gun I haven't used at all), my match bonus was 2000+.

As I understand it, generally, the match bonus works to equalise the XP for the whole team. If you're top of the board, you'll get a smaller match bonus because you got a ton of XP from kills, caps, whatever. If you're bottom, the game will give you a bigger match bonus to bring you in line with the top guys.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Willeth wrote: »

As I understand it, generally, the match bonus works to equalise the XP for the whole team. If you're top of the board, you'll get a smaller match bonus because you got a ton of XP from kills, caps, whatever. If you're bottom, the game will give you a bigger match bonus to bring you in line with the top guys.

As somebody who is regularly at the top of the board and who sometimes gets 8k match bonuses I doubt this is the case.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I just went online with a (standard TDM) team full of buddies and rocked out this class for the entire session:

Riot Shield/Holo Raffica
    C4/Stun Grenades
    Scavenger Pro, Danger Close Pro, Commando Pro

And it was great. There were so many kodak moments of gaming glory. Like when a couple of friends, trailing me engaged in a gunfight while I sat back and enjoyed the (bullet-cracked) view, occasionally sending moral support grenades. Or when the enemy, so sure that I wasn't the problem, focused so greatly on my friends that I could pop out the Raffica and putt a guy to death. Or when, clearing out the large bunker in Afghan, my back-up dies and I'm left to clear out the three guys inside with Stun Grenades, C4, the Raffica and the Shield (and upon saying "all done", receiving astonished congratulations). Or when rogue knifers charged into my waiting C4 charges. Or when I got the "owned" title with a game-winning shield kill. Or when I followed tha with a winning stun grenade kill the very next game. Or when...
    Is this what love feels like?

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
    edited February 2010
    I had my first entire team ragequit today. It was awesome - HCTDM, I wasn't doing too badly but I was lone wolfing it where they wouldn't expect. Chopper gunner out of a care package. Five kills, and 'enemy team forfeiting in 3...2...1...'

Willeth on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like the AC130 for the 5-7-11 build, but the chopper is better for getting a nuke

BlindPsychic on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like the AC130 for the 5-7-11 build, but the chopper is better for getting a nuke

I find the AC-130 to be more fun, but yeah the Chopper is usually good for more kills.

mcdermott on
  • Sharp_Sniper99Sharp_Sniper99 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think it usually works on who did the most work, so if you play objective and get a LOAD of kills you will be top of the board but the person who got a load of captures would get a bigger bonus. If however you get a TON of kills and a TON of captures then your match bonus would be huge.

So in some instances people at the bottom of the board can get as much exp as the top guys, but its not designed to equalise it. (As far as I know.)

Sharp_Sniper99 on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm starting to understand why a friend of mine hates Domination so much. I used to love it. Primarily because I wasn't great at getting kills, but this gametype gave me a different objective. And because I scored more points playing it, of course.

Now, at least playing with pubs, I want to kill my teammates. All of them. He hated the gametype because there was literally nothing he could do to balance out terrible teammates. In TDM, if you're truly good, you can just kick ass and take names and get enough kills to put your team over the edge to victory. I mean, I can't...I can maintain a positive ratio pretty easily, but I'm no nuke chaser. But somebody sufficiently good at killing mans can.

Hey, fucksticks, I cannot defend both B and C at the same time. It's not possible. I'm going to lose one of them. So when we capture two, and four or five of you rush off to take the third, we lose. There's literally nothing even the best player can do to make up for a stupid-ass team.

It's Domination. There's no such thing as "camping." You need to play defense...or at least some of you need to.

I get that you have to at least push onto the third point a little, so that they can't just go all-out at either of yours...but you need at least one dude at each other point or you're fucked. You can't just run back there fast enough. No, they'll cap it. Then one of their fuckstick teammates will spawn there before you get there, so that when you show up it's two on one and you die. Then they've got it locked down, and you're back to scrounging for two points because you forgot this wasn't TDM and rushed off chanting "MUST KILL MANS...MUST KILL MANS."

mcdermott on
  • DrDreidelDrDreidel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had fun playing with you guys for the first time. And my worry that I'd be too shitty to keep up...well, it was confirmed. Scat is an unholy beast of a player. I was content anytime I pulled a positive K/D. Also, you're not 8 year olds who scream and sing into the mic. That was a nice change of pace.

A++++ would play with again.

DrDreidel on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I think it usually works on who did the most work, so if you play objective and get a LOAD of kills you will be top of the board but the person who got a load of captures would get a bigger bonus. If however you get a TON of kills and a TON of captures then your match bonus would be huge.

So in some instances people at the bottom of the board can get as much exp as the top guys, but its not designed to equalise it. (As far as I know.)

Pretty sure it is dependate on; how well you do, winning, and your current rank(not prestige)

Because you can go 20-1 on MTDM as a rank one and you'll get like 800 bonus exp, but if you are rank 70 and do the same thing you'll get like 5000.

Burtletoy on
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Re: Barrett vs Intervention: from my experience, and what I've seen of other people, Intervention is usually the better choice. Why? because that bolt action prevents you from firing another shot before the recoil ends.

However, the barrett can and will save your life if you are a Rushing sniper, because nothing covers your ass better than spam firing .50 cal shots at point blank range. I've gotten a 3 kill-no-scope-spray with a barrett only because I got to close to their spawn and spammed the trigger like mad.

belligerent on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Pretty sure it is dependate on; how well you do, winning, and your current rank(not prestige)

Because you can go 20-1 on MTDM as a rank one and you'll get like 800 bonus exp, but if you are rank 70 and do the same thing you'll get like 5000.

Your match bonus depends on your kills, deaths, rank, accolades, and whether you win or lose.

Morvidus on
  • MoogleofdoomMoogleofdoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New thread title: "GoTro is like Batman because his parents are dead"?

Moogleofdoom on
    Sometimes magic sounds like tape, Robert.
    xbl: Mirage84
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jesus. After not playing for 2 weeks I do better than I ever have. 39/4 K/D, which has never happened before.

I'm proud, and terrified.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    <3 the WA2000. Seriously. Extended Magazines make it sexy sex with a side of orgasm. Plus, it's an impromptu "OH SHIT THERE'S MANS IN MY FACE" shotgun! And it looks great.

Being 10th prestige level 70 makes you appreciate some of the things in this game, I think.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    edited February 2010
    New thread title: "GoTro is like Batman because his parents are dead"?

A++++
    00.gif
    05.gif

joshgotro on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does it count towards thermal scope kills if I simply have the scope attached to my MP5? Like what if I ran Akimbo/Thermal?

Thermal scope on the MP5 is balls out retarded... so is ACOG.

Felt the need to master a gun today...don't know why I went with MP5.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I believe that you must be ADS to count towards thermal.

belligerent on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cant use Akimbo and thermal together anyway...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It would look pretty funny though

THERMAL BINOCULARS!

Robman on
    edited February 2010
    You have to be ADS to get any of the scope challenges.

Willeth on
    edited February 2010
    I've always thought they should let you put scopes/sights on akimbo weapons, just for the absurd looks.

Arrath on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    I've always thought they should let you put scopes/sights on akimbo weapons, just for the absurd looks.

You can find some in the campaign. I've found dual TMPs and Mini-Uzis with RDSes attached in a few missions.

Mechanical on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So going on a a bi-annual release schedule, it's not that far out until MW3! The Saga of Solid Soap will continue.

Robman on