As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PlayStation 2 - Ten Years Later

• Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    My original PS2 is still kicking, and I put that thing through a helluva lot of gaming. Then again my PS1 is still kicking, too. At least it was right before MGS4 came out and I finally did a full playthrough of MGS1 on the exact same system I started on ~10 years prior to that.

:shock:

So you're saying a disc-based system has lasted more than ten years without needing repairs or lens realignments .... what black magic is this? Are you a warlock?

I had a CD player last seven years before it started skipping. I think that's my record.

My launch PS2 works too. I'm amazed that it hasn't imploded yet.

SSX was one of the first games I got for it. Good times. (Along with Ridge Racer. Meh.)

To be fair once in a while I do have to reset my PS2 a few times to get it to recognize the disc, and the reader on my PS1 is probably close to biting the big one too, but I mean the thing's lasted this long, so I'm not complaining. I'd rather my PS2 not die, though since I have the HDD and everything...

I guess I got my karma from my PS1 and 2 never dying when my PS3 died after like 6 months :lol:

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved Ridge Racer V so much

I don't know what it was about that game

It's still the only one in the series I've played

Remember internet people declaring the system DOA because of the jaggies, and posting screen-shot comparisons with Dreamcast games? The Sega faithful had a hatred for this thing that for some continues to this day.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hell yeah you should

$100 new, it's hard to beat that

Won't it be like $50 soon though

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Should I buy a Slim?

My current PS2 is starting to not play things, I opened it up and adjusted the laser but some games/DVDs just plain don't work anymore. Plus it's my only TV-hook-uppable DVD player.

If I ever see a Slim selling for $70 or so, I'd snatch it up. I can't see myself paying $100 for ten year old technology, though ... I'd feel like a sucker. It'd be like buying a Pentium 2 computer.

emnmnme on
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    My original PS2 is still kicking, and I put that thing through a helluva lot of gaming. Then again my PS1 is still kicking, too. At least it was right before MGS4 came out and I finally did a full playthrough of MGS1 on the exact same system I started on ~10 years prior to that.

:shock:

So you're saying a disc-based system has lasted more than ten years without needing repairs or lens realignments .... what black magic is this? Are you a warlock?

I had a CD player last seven years before it started skipping. I think that's my record.

My original PS1 is still kicking too, much to my surprise. Surprisingly, that thing has seen some falls and other mishaps in the past.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved Ridge Racer V so much

I don't know what it was about that game

It's still the only one in the series I've played

Remember internet people declaring the system DOA because of the jaggies, and posting screen-shot comparisons with Dreamcast games? The Sega faithful had a hatred for this thing that for some continues to this day.

My Dreamcast and PS2 lived side-by-side in harmony for quite a while... until I sold it to a used game store for $20. I've made some incredibly dumb decisions when it comes to selling games, but selling my Dreamcast is the most regrettable.

Anyway.. Back when I had a used game addiction, the size of my PS2 collection was embarrassingly large. I think it had passed the 100 game mark when I ran out of physical space to store them all. I got rid of all but the best games in it and now it's down to... about 50 titles. :P (And there are still more that I'd like to pick up some day, but finding certain games has gotten pretty hard despite the local gamestops having more used and new PS2 games than the 360, PS3, and Wii sections combined.)

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I skipped out on the PS2 for the most part. Ended up with a gamecube and a lot of free time where I wasn't playing video games. Played a couple choice titles for it on a system owned by a family member. Played both MGS2 and MGS3 in marathon sessions when each came out. The first one was forced, because I didn't have a memory card. I think the crazy story started to make a bit more sense after going through it in a 15 hour session, trading off playing time with a friend of mine.

Dehumanized on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you own a PS2 and not SMT Nocturne, you aren't just missing the best RPG on the console, you're missing the best RPG of the decade.

That said, much as I love the PS2, I sided with the Dreamcast first. :P So I still have kind of an axe to grind for Sony for helping aid Sega's console demise.

And the Dreamcast had a killer lineup for a while, so it was a no brainer for me. All the PS2 had that I wanted(at the time) was Frequency and Xenosaga(what a letdown that was).

Oh yeah, and the PS2 was the first console I ever had die on me.

This coming from someone who still owns a working NES, SNES, and a Saturn.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I accidentally bought my PS2. It was 2004 and I was playing with eBay and saw this awesome package deal of a new PS2 5000+ with extra shit. The latest bid was $125 and I put $130 thinking I will be easily beaten in the next 5 minutes since no doubt someone with more monies would get it.

Nope. I was actually sorta pissed since I wasn't really wanting one. Anyways I mostly used it only for exclusives and haven't really played it much. Still have it too.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Should I buy a Slim?

My current PS2 is starting to not play things, I opened it up and adjusted the laser but some games/DVDs just plain don't work anymore. Plus it's my only TV-hook-uppable DVD player.

If I ever see a Slim selling for $70 or so, I'd snatch it up. I can't see myself paying $100 for ten year old technology, though ... I'd feel like a sucker. It'd be like buying a Pentium 2 computer.

I've always seen the price of a system as a fee you pay to gain access to it's library of games. You're not really paying for the tech, as much as what plays on the tech. So you have to decide how much the PS2 library is worth to you.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah but I don't have a hobojillion dollars

UnbreakableVow on
  • Publius Aelius HadrianusPublius Aelius Hadrianus Permanently bland Seattle, Washington Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of Dreamcast.... I recently bought Record of Lodoss War for which I had a VMU save file from 2003 just so I could finish the last dungeon. Old technology is still as fun as it was then.

I'm also constantly buying Ps2 games to put in my ever growing library. Last month I was able to pick up Okami, Shadow of Destiny, and Tsugunai Atonement all for under $30. Not the best the Ps2 has to offer, but still nice additions.

One day I hope to have time to play them.... I have over 30 that I haven't even popped in the disk drive yet.

Publius Aelius Hadrianus on
    2dk9ta8.gif
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man I love my PS2 and I don't ever want to part with it. I am on my third one but I don't count the first. We got it for Christmas the year it dropped and Madden, SSX, and Summoner. Then after a month or so the damn thing decided to start scratching all of the discs (at least we thought it was the PS2 and Sony agreed, though it could've been my brothers). Anyway, it killed Summoner (I already beat it though so it was ok) and we got a new PS2. The second one just up and died a few years later, and the current one I have is probably 6 years old.

My first paycheck I ever got was blown on a Zone of the Enders 2, which I still go back and play very often, because that game is so much fun. In short, I would be lost without my PS2 and I am dreading they day I will have to get a new one, because there is something special about still having one of the fat models.

Shaggy on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was just now reading Wikipedia and came across this piece of information:
    Another refinement of the slimline PlayStation 2 (SCPH-90000) was released in Japan on November 22, 2007[21], and in the US in late 2008[citation needed], with an overhauled internal design that incorporates the power supply into the console itself, with a further reduced total weight of 720 grams. SCPH-90000 series consoles manufactured after March 2008 incorporate a revised BIOS, which disables an exploit present in all older models that allowed homebrew applications to be launched from a memory card.

Is this true? :o Because if it is, I'm going to buy one as soon as possible! :)

Impersonator on
    edited March 2010
    This price talk has got me thinking. I've never added up the total a system has cost me, looking back on it as a whole. I'm probably going to wish I hadn't seen the total but here we go.

I saved from my paychecks to get my GT3 bundle on release day for $330. Before that I had played on my friends.
    After much joy old hoss finally stopped reading blue discs.

I got one of the second gen fat models, the ones with a quieter fan and without a firewire port for $199. It's still kicking in the game room.

A few months ago I got a ceramic white slim because it's rad looking. It sits in the living room. $129.

So just on systems that's roughly $700 with tax.

About 5 dual shock 2s at ~$30.
    Six memory cards at ~$20.
    A goddamn multi-tap for $40.
    A vertical and horizontal stand (that's right) for $30.
    I have 233 games, about half of which were used, so I'll low ball it to $15 a piece for $3,495

D:

So that's $4,535 all together. Jesus H. But I guess it's really not that bad spread out over 10 years.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved my PS2.

Now my PS2 is my 1st Gen PS3 which upscales all my PS2 games and smooths them making them look great on my HDTV, while providing unlimited internal memory cards (yes!) and the awesomeness of rechargeable cordless rumble controllers. <3

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    If you own a PS2 and not SMT Nocturne, you aren't just missing the best RPG on the console, you're missing the best RPG of the decade.

That said, much as I love the PS2, I sided with the Dreamcast first. :P So I still have kind of an axe to grind for Sony for helping aid Sega's console demise.

And the Dreamcast had a killer lineup for a while, so it was a no brainer for me. All the PS2 had that I wanted(at the time) was Frequency and Xenosaga(what a letdown that was).

Oh yeah, and the PS2 was the first console I ever had die on me.

This coming from someone who still owns a working NES, SNES, and a Saturn.

As much as I agree with you on that second part, Sega had as much (or more) to do with the death of the Dreamcast as Sony did. They made some stupid fucking decisions with it, and it seemed the less they ignored Moore, the worse the system did.

The NES was the first system to ever die on me, but the PS2 was second. This from someone who still owns 3 working Dreamcasts. ;-)

As for the PS2, hey, we love ours. We have a PS3 with the backwards compatibility too. We just bought a copy of Valkyrie Profile 2 from a local video store, but our collection is otherwise complete. My first system lasted a bit over a year before it DRE'd. I got my second unit for free as a prize when I worked for Gamestop (every region's top store in Tony Hawk 4 reserves got a free console of our choice from Activision for the SM, ASM, and third key). I bought the PRP for that system, and it died after a year as well... which was then replaced with a PX unit. It still works like a dream.

Favorite games? SSX 3, Okami, Ace Combat 5, Devil May Cry 3, Amplitude, Gitaroo-Man, Klonoa 2, Red Star, Robotech: Battlecry, Suikoden 3, and Zone of the Enders 2. We own another 30+ games beyond those that we also love. Seriously, as much as the build quality of the PS2 is complete shit, the game library is absolutely stellar.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got my PS2 on launch day. I was 12 years old at the time and had pre-ordered long, long in advance. My dad picked it up for me while I was in class. That was probably the longest day I ever spent in school.

I got off the bus and ran full-out to get to my house, and found a note on my door from my dad, with a picture of the PS2 and a clue on where to search. Yes, my dad had set up a goddamned scavenger hunt for my PS2. He left about 7 clues, each one leading to the next, and all in rhyming couplets.

I remember running frantically around the house and the yard trying to find the next clue while my dad just watched me with a big grin on his face. It made what would have already been a pretty awesome day that much more memorable and fun, though at the time I'm sure I just wanted to get it over with so I could play SSX and Dead or Alive 2.

PuddingSenator on
    edited March 2010
    The PS2 was also my first experience playing a console online. There may not have been many games that ever supported the network adapter, but Tony Hawk 3 and 4 did, and that's all that matters. Played the hell out of some online Tony Hawk.

That was on Neversoft's servers too, not peer to peer like Live. There was hardly any lag at all. Lots of people just hanging out and chatting. Good times.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've had two PS2s die on me, and I've had my Slim since 2005.

I still play it pretty regularly, both PS2 games and PS1. I even "modified" it to play Japanese games which extends its longevity dramatically.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
    edited March 2010
    I loved my PS2.

Now my PS2 is my 1st Gen PS3 which upscales all my PS2 games and smooths them making them look great on my HDTV, while providing unlimited internal memory cards (yes!) and the awesomeness of rechargeable cordless rumble controllers. <3

Send me your old PS2! You don't need it!

:P

emnmnme on
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ahh, the PS2. So many memories with that thing. I got one Christmas of 2001, the GT3 bundle. Best Christmas ever, that was. I played the hell out of it for years... it lasted a good four or five years before it finally succumbed to the dreaded DRE. I got rather good at fixing that, but eventually it just got too bad, so we picked up a Slim. As for my old buddy Phat PS2, well... last summer I was bored, so I took a screwdriver...
    0616091456.jpg0616091458.jpg

That was interesting. Of course I had no idea how to put it back to together, so... I got rid of all the pieces. It didn't work anymore anyway :P

Sangheili91 on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was just now reading Wikipedia and came across this piece of information:
    Another refinement of the slimline PlayStation 2 (SCPH-90000) was released in Japan on November 22, 2007[21], and in the US in late 2008[citation needed], with an overhauled internal design that incorporates the power supply into the console itself, with a further reduced total weight of 720 grams. SCPH-90000 series consoles manufactured after March 2008 incorporate a revised BIOS, which disables an exploit present in all older models that allowed homebrew applications to be launched from a memory card.

Is this true? :o Because if it is, I'm going to buy one as soon as possible! :)

Yes, it's true. My Japanese PS2 is a 90k series and the power cable is just a standard one you'd find in the 50k series and earlier. So, no more bricks!

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think my PS2 is dying but I can't be sure because it won't make up its mind. A while back it stopped reading my DMC3 special edition. Normal DMC3 is fine, but not the SE. However it still reads blue discs. So I thought maybe the disc was bad? Maybe, but now it also won't read the boot disc for blue disc imports. So I can't play my Treasure Box anymore. The other boot disc works fine though, so I can still play Berserk, Another Century, Final Mix, all that stuff. Why won't you just make up your mind PS2?!

Gilder on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "It can render in real-time!"

fuckin' sony and their lies. PS2 was quickly forget for myself and my buddies once Halo came out with xbox.

Lilnoobs on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I ended my PS2's service with a marathon of Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts 2, Valkyrie Profile 2, and Final Fantasy XII last summer. A bloody good system, without a doubt.

Also, those little rubber square feet on the base of the fat ones? My Slim PS3 came with one missing (or it got loose and flew off somewhere during unpacking, I don't know) and so I pulled one from the PS2, and plugged it into the PS3. Fitted snugly into the hole :^:

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ahhh such a great system, bought mine launch day (worked at Blockbuster at the time) I recall the launch lineup to be far shittier than the list I see in the OP but it was likely we just didnt get all the games when the launch happened as I would have bought Dynasty Warriors 2 if they had it, but we didnt so I grabbed Kessen.

My original unit had a failure 40 days into having it and I brought it to a sony service center and it got repaired and back to me in a day, and it lasted for a few years until it died for good and I upgraded to a slim.

used mine to play PSone RPGs the most and of course the great RPGs and crap that came out. Most time spent on a game was Disgaea 250 hours. (Thanks PA you fuckers I wouldnt have heard of it otherwise)

My slimline is currently hooked up in my man cave room but it doesnt get much use anymore.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I still have my launch window PS2 hooked up in the living room. It's mostly there for show because I don't dare use it (I live in fear it'll break down). I had so many PS2 horror and RPGs it's not even funny. Supposed I should finish some of them.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't get my PS2 until March of 2006, right after I got back form vacation. Man, realizing that it was 4 years ago really makes me understand how fast time flies.

I bought the system mostly for Guitar Hero (The original) and because I knew just how many good games the system had. Over the years I've slowly acquired a healthy collection, but never got around to playing most of them. Luckily, with me being part of the Backlog Challenge, I'm finding time to go back and play some of the classics I never got around to.

Since I'm a huge collector, I plan on one day going back and buying as many PS2 classics as possible. It still boggles my mind just how many high quality games the PS2. It was really a perfect storm of a system and I highly doubt we'll see anything as dominant, or with as many amazing games, as the PS2 for a long long time.

Now if you'll excuse, I've got some Ratchet and Clank to play.

SirUltimos on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been dipping into the PS2 section of Gamestop for my latest interest, namely classic game anthologies. If I was less lazy, I would start a thread just on them. I've recently picked up:

Atari Anthology: This is a pretty cool collection of about a dozen early 80s arcade games, and 60+ Atari 2600 games. The arcade games such as Millipede and Asteroids hold up really well. 90% of the 2600 games are junk, but Surround is worth the low price of the whole collection. The extras are spectacular.

Taito Collection: This one is very mediocre, but as a fan of bad mid to late 80s games, I love it. It really is a fairly ridiculous collection of games, although many of them are quite fun. Phoenix, Battle Shark, and "Space Gun" (heh) are my favorites so far.

Anyway, where else but the PS2 can you play Surround for the Atari 2600 these days?

On an entirely unrelated note:
    Is there any model of PS2 that lets you play PS1 games using the component cables? My PS2 Slim won't do this, unfortunately. It's one of the early ones, SCPH-70012. Yeah, I know, PS3 hur hur.

Saddler on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The biggest thing I miss is that the PSX/PS2 had SO MANY RPGs. If you wanted RPGs, you owned this console. But this generation has been really shitty to RPG lovers, like myself.

urahonky on
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    The biggest thing I miss is that the PSX/PS2 had SO MANY RPGs. If you wanted RPGs, you owned this console. But this generation has been really shitty to RPG lovers, like myself.

Not too late to buy a DS. All the RPGs you could ever need.

Really, what happened, though? Sony was king of the hill with the PS2 and now they're fighting for second place.

emnmnme on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

Not too late to buy a DS. All the RPGs you could ever need.

Really, what happened, though? Sony was king of the hill with the PS2 and now they're fighting for second place.

I own a DS. I am not a fan of portable consoles. I can't enjoy the tiny screen. Especially if I'm playing a 30+ hour game.

urahonky on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got my PS2 in December, 2 months after launch. I was 13 at the time. I think I went in to ask for one around launch and got put on a waiting list at the local EB, but was told I probably wouldn't get it until March. While my mom and I were at Wegmans EB called and told my dad my PS2 was in. He called my mom on the cellphone (a rather newfangled device all in it's own back then) and told her. Instead of turning the car around to go back (we were 5 minutes away from the mall when he called) she decided to go home first to unpack groceries and have lunch. Later she fed me some stupid line about needing to go back out to go to the mall to get a jogging suit for the new treadmill (oh god, have we really had that thing for 10 years now?). I was none too pleased about having to go clothes shopping, especially for some dumb track suit. When we got to the mall my mom said we could go into EB first and look around. She casually directed my attention to the PS2 games rack and asked me which of the games I'd want if I had a PS2. I looked at her all puzzled because she knew I wouldn't be getting a PS2 until at least March, and bringing the subject up wasn't the best way to put me in a good mood. Then it hit me and I freaked the fuck out. I don't remember what they had on the shelf, but the only game I was really interested at the time was Madden 2001 (the last Madden I've ever bought and played) and they didn't have it. Luckily we had 2 EB's in the same mall (which have since changed over to GameStops), so we bought up the console and trekked down to the other end of the mall and found copies of Madden on the shelf. On the way home I called all of my friends asking them if they wanted to come over to my house, and when they replied that they couldn't for whatever reason, I told them "that sucks, I was hoping you could come play Madden on my new PS2." They were none too happy about not being able to make it after I told them that.

Despite getting my PS2 so early I never really bought many games for it. I think I own 10 or 12 at most, though I did do a fair amount of renting. Not enough to really put a dent into the catalog though. For the most part the GTA games held me over for a year or so until the next GTA hit. Lots of great memories of the system, though. Every so often I think about going back and really digging into the system's backlog, and a quick browse through GameStop's used PS2 games section on their website turns me off on the idea real quick. The number of games that came out for that system (and they're still coming out, cripes!), and the number of those games that are really great, is overwhelming.

EDIT: I am so, so bummed about not getting the NiGHTS PS2 remake over here, though. It actually made me look into what I'd need to do to get import support for my PS2, but decided against it because I hate taking hardware that I know little about apart.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was working in Blockbuster video when I got mine, a bit in to the lifespan of the PS2, around the same time as MGS2 was released. I soon after bought myself a 32" widescreen tv... which was pretty massive at the time. Wide screen GTA 3 was a stunning thing to behold.

It was a sadly underused console though. I completed GTA3, Ico and SOTC but can't think of any other PS2 games I played through to completion.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fall of 2001, my junior year of college. A week or so before Thanksgiving, my potluck roommate let it slip that he had a PS2 at his parents' house, but didn't bring it because he wanted to focus on school instead of games. I convinced him to bring it back to our dorm when he went home for Thanksgiving and just leave all the games at home - we could just use it as a DVD player. Once dead week (the week of no classes before final exams) came along, we went to Blockbuster and rented three games, SSX Tricky, GTA3, and Madden 2002. I loved it so much I asked for and received my own PS2 that Christmas (those were my first three games as well).

I still get that awesome nostalgic feeling when I think about the beginning of GTA3. I was so insane about Madden that I found a pirated copy of Madden 2002 on our resnet, downloaded it, took screenshots of all the individual plays in the Saints playbook, used Paint to stitch them all together (and recreate the few plays that were in the console version but not the PC one), and printed out a 10+ page playbook to sit next to me while I played. I would play Tricky until my thumbs were raw.

My first PS2 died in December 2004 after God knows how many hours I put into it, so for that Christmas I got myself a new PS2 slim, which still works to this day (I assume, though I haven't touched it since I got my PS3 a year and a half ago). All in all, I own about 55 PS2 games (still have them all), and that was the reason why I fought so hard for a BC PS3. However, I'm a terrible human being, as since I've gotten my PS3 I haven't touched a single PS2 game, but I like knowing that if I get the itch to play though my favorites again (SSX3, Ico, Sly Cooper, PoP) I can on either my PS2 or my PS3.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the PS2. It's my favorite console ever, I think. I have a 104 games for it and the majority of those games are truly awesome. Hell there are still a lot of games that I want for the system that I never got around to buying.

slash000 on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I got my PS2 in May 2001. I'm not really sure what it was that made me decide to buy one; I certainly hadn't been playing many games for the previous 5 years. Sure, I had a PS1, but only played a handful of games on it. I got my PS2 as a part of a bundle from Amazon. It came with Onimusha and a shitty DVD remote. Perhaps a month later I got Gauntlet: Dark Legacy and the 4-player multitap. A shame I didn't actually have that many friends who would come over so I could take advantage of it. Dark Cloud was the first RPG I got for the system and I loved it, but goddamn did it get tedious. I never did complete it.

I graduated from college that December and found myself with a lot of free time while waiting for a full time position to open up at my job, so I ended up buying Final Fantasy X off a friend. I put over 110 hours into that game, and a good percentage of that was Blitzball (ugh). I don't think I could put that much time into a non-MMO these days, although I did spend 80 hours on Fallout 3 last year.

Of all the consoles I've owned, my PS2 collection had the largest collection of games. It is also the biggest contributor to my backlog. As of right now, I have 60 games listed as unbeaten and 30 listed as beaten or complete. A few weeks ago that number was higher, but I finally realized there was no way I was going to touch a lot of them and traded them in.

Anyway, I don't think I'm really conveying what I want to here, which is basically to agree that the PS2 was an awesome system. It was the first one where, given my disposable income at the time, I was able to go out and buy just about all the games I ever wanted to play on it, only to have the reality of not having unlimited time hit me in the face. I'm trying to be better with this generation of games, but I guess it does not help that I have all three systems now.

SteevL on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    I love the PS2. It's my favorite console ever, I think. I have a 104 games for it and the majority of those games are truly awesome. Hell there are still a lot of games that I want for the system that I never got around to buying.

Same here. It's the only console I bought two of (Japanese and US regions)

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have a Japanese one, too. Silver phat that I got for cheap, mostly for Beatmania.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png