As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Problem (8001050F) Seems To Be Fixed -- Try Your PS3!

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Seanron wrote: »
    Well, when an update is due, you actually physically cannot log on until you get the update. The update occurs before you even attampt to log on, so maybe the network will inform the system of the update before any connection to PSN is established?

There is your answer. Firmware updates hijack the PSN verification process. They can forcefeed, so the speak, the firmware fix before it does the PSN handshake.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Surely they would have to offer to send out discs.

Yeah, but if every single fat PS3 is affected, it's going to be a massive undertaking. Granted, it's not like the RRoD where you'd have to send in your console, but it still requires simultaneous worldwide support to people who aren't even connected.
    Seanron wrote: »
    Well, when an update is due, you actually physically cannot log on until you get the update. The update occurs before you even attampt to log on, so maybe the network will inform the system of the update before any connection to PSN is established?

There is your answer. Firmware updates hijack the PSN verification process. They can forcefeed, so the speak, the firmware fix before it does the PSN handshake.

Ah, I see. Well, I hope they're on that motherfucker.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Glad I decided to get BC2 for 360. I almost got it for PS3 because I prefer it more, but in the end I decided I'd go the 360 route for the bigger online community.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Ah, I see. Well, I hope they're on that motherfucker.

Signs point to yes. I'll lay you odds they're testing firmware fixes right now. But I'll also bet you they're looking down the line to make sure there aren't any other clock errors of this nature that would trigger another internal error of this scale.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    original.jpg

Langly on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Debug units unworkable due to endlessly looping error message
    Various developers and studios are claiming that their debug PS3 units are failing from suspected internal-clock-related hardware errors. A multitude of debug consoles – crucial to the development of current PS3 projects – have been thrown into a rebooting cycle, due to an endlessly-looping error message.

The issue comes as a separate issue is affecting retail PS3 consoles, though both problems are thought to be related.

It is said that when certain PS3 retail consoles attempt to connect to the internet, the platform shows error messages and are unable to connect to the PlayStation Network. Sony has already claimed it has narrowed down possible causes for the retail problem and is working on a solution.

However, a Joystiq report has been flooded by claims that even offline consoles are being struck down – with the system’s clock reverting to 12/31/1999 and causing data-corrupting errors.

Sony has declined to comment.

XiaNaphryz on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I would hate to be the coder who's name/ID is connected to that part of the internal code today.

And I guess it's a day off for developers at the moment...and hope that they've backed their stuff up.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited March 2010
    All we need is a picture of a PS3 traveling backwards in time to complete that picture Langly. Also, I loled.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Possible Solution:

Step 1) Put GT4: Prologue in the drive.
    Step 2) IF it works pick a track with a fairly straight section where you can get your speed up.
    Step 3) Accelerate to 88mph.
    Step 3) Pray.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited March 2010
    GT4: Prologue is the wrong game.

Burnout Paradise actually has a DeLorian in it. (If you purchased the Legendary Car Pack. (Which I did.))

Lucascraft on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Leap year of the PS3
    I know it isn't a leap year.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    GT4: Prologue is the wrong game.

Burnout Paradise actually has a DeLorian in it. (If you purchased the Legendary Car Pack. (Which I did.))

But now your DLC won't work!

Mr_Grinch on
    edited March 2010

Which is funny since the PS3 logo is for the Slims and they're fine. But still. Serious lol.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doogie wrote: »
    Having a tough time imagining the actual hardware RTC in the PS3 deciding to shit the bed badly enough that it can't be corrected or masked with firmware.

Here's your fix in GhettoCode.
    if instr(listofleapyears,str(year))
    {
        month = 2;
        day = 29;
    }
    else
    {
        month = 3;
        day = 1;
    }

It's even simpler than that! No need to maintain a string list of leap years when the math is right there. I mean, the math is so simple it's tragic if this is the problem. Here's the dead-easy, posted-on-wikipedia fix to properly determine a leap year:

if (year modulo 4 is 0) and (year modulo 100 is not 0) or (year modulo 400 is 0)
    then is_leap_year
    else
    not_leap_year

I've written stuff like this into my own code when determining leap years. Whoever wrote the code for the low-level clock better get their walkin' papers stat! :P

I think you guys are getting too high level with this. Since this is a problem that occurs only on certain models, and I assume that all PS3 are running the same software, it suggest the problem is manifested in hardware.

It could be a very low level math error, like that modulo you used not working correctly for certain numbers.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Possible Solution:

Step 1) Put GT4: Prologue in the drive.
    Step 2) IF it works pick a track with a fairly straight section where you can get your speed up.
    Step 3) Accelerate to 88mph.
    Step 3) Pray.

1ICLiGJhbC9MCBt0GltTVkY5L2FjaC8wLzI4AAAAAOfn5-tfg54=.jpg

PGR4 had an Achievement dedicated to that trick.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, thank you Sony.

I bought my first PS3 in January and when I was hooking it up next to my 360 I thought to myself "Well, at least I don't have to worry about another RRoD."

Orochi_Rockman on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Doogie wrote: »
    Having a tough time imagining the actual hardware RTC in the PS3 deciding to shit the bed badly enough that it can't be corrected or masked with firmware.

Here's your fix in GhettoCode.
    if instr(listofleapyears,str(year))
    {
        month = 2;
        day = 29;
    }
    else
    {
        month = 3;
        day = 1;
    }

It's even simpler than that! No need to maintain a string list of leap years when the math is right there. I mean, the math is so simple it's tragic if this is the problem. Here's the dead-easy, posted-on-wikipedia fix to properly determine a leap year:

if (year modulo 4 is 0) and (year modulo 100 is not 0) or (year modulo 400 is 0)
    then is_leap_year
    else
    not_leap_year

I've written stuff like this into my own code when determining leap years. Whoever wrote the code for the low-level clock better get their walkin' papers stat! :P

I think you guys are getting too high level with this. Since this is a problem that occurs only on certain models, and I assume that all PS3 are running the same software, it suggest the problem is manifested in hardware.

Indeed. Some speculation:
    dogmaan wrote:
    Not enough hard evidence at the moment, most is conjecture or anecdotal.

My gut feeling is that it is a hardware problem.

my reasoning:

If the ps3 date is calculated via an offset i.e. hardware date is 2000 + OS date of 10 years 2 months etc, then changing the OS time should fix the problem, it doesn't.

This makes me think that when the PS3 is asking for a date from the RTC to offset from, instead of receiving 4 or 5 floats and integers that look like this:

year = 2000
    day = 29

its probably receiving something that looks like this

year = FFFFFFF
    day = FFFF

If anyone has access to PS3 linux and are a programmer you can access the RTC error state using C function PTR_ERR(rtc);

the includes are

#include <linux/kernel.h>
    #include <linux/module.h>
    #include <linux/platform_device.h>
    #include <linux/rtc.h>

#include <asm/lv1call.h>
    #include <asm/ps3.h>

dogmaan wrote:
    Originally Posted by iammeiam:
    All depends on which of the theories of why it broke is true. If the system clock is, as we all hope, reporting 2/29 and is still counting, it ought to be good.

Where things get ugly is the other possibility mentioned a few times--the actual clock chip itself is boned, and ran into some kind of overflow problem and is no longer in the realm of 'real' time. If the problem is the hardware chip itself, no firmware update in the world will help.

The PS3 firmware has access to change the system clock, ie the number of seconds it's adding to the 'base' time as well ass how it reports those dates, but can't overwrite how it does math. I don't think this is likely, but it is the absolute worst-case scenario.

I'm hoping/thinking it's something a firmware update can beat into shape, but if the system clock itself cannot be repaired, defaulting to the OS clock isn't going to be a good workaround.

from RTC driver

static int ps3_get_time(struct device *dev, struct rtc_time *tm)
    {
    to_tm(read_rtc() + ps3_os_area_get_rtc_diff(), tm); // probably means +- GMT
    tm->tm_year -= 1900;
    tm->tm_mon -= 1;
    return 0;
    }

static int ps3_set_time(struct device *dev, struct rtc_time *tm)
    {
    u64 now = mktime(tm->tm_year + 1900, tm->tm_mon + 1, tm->tm_mday,
    tm->tm_hour, tm->tm_min, tm->tm_sec);
    ps3_os_area_set_rtc_diff(now - read_rtc());
    return 0;
    }

I think he is right :(

XiaNaphryz on
    edited March 2010
    Well, thank you Sony.

I bought my first PS3 in January and when I was hooking it up next to my 360 I thought to myself "Well, at least I don't have to worry about another RRoD."

Well, your hardware isn't dead at least. It just doesn't work right.

Which makes it oh so much better!

And I've got nothing better to do than sit at work (busy mind) and occasionally F5 this thread.

Mr_Grinch on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do they really recommend not to start up the system, or was that just poorly worded and they only recommend you not try and connect to PSN? My copy of Killzone 2 is teasing the heck out of me.

And speaking of my copy of Killzone 2, fuck the Gamestop used stickers. These are impossible to remove. Impossible. Oh sure let's put one of these things on the paper fucking insert that wraps around the case! I could have put it on the plastic, but oh no, that would have been much easier for the user to remove. We don't want to make it easy.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited March 2010
    2006 - 1999

Only three years left in the 10 year cycle; when is Sony likely to announce the PS4? E3?

Nintendo are looking like they might beat them to the 1996 market with the Ultra 64.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sony have made no such recommendation I think, but there are report of trophies disappearing when launching games, so if you have games with unsynced trophies stay away from them, they probably don't work anyway.

Zell on
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In response to 'Lolz, Sony has made no comment'
    Sony said they were working 'flat out' to fix the glitch.
    A spokesman said: 'We have found out that some users are experiencing a network connection failure when signing on to PlayStation Network.
    'We are currently looking in to the issue to identify the cause of this network connection failure. We appreciate your understanding and continued support.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1254654/Sony-PlayStation-3-network-hit-PSN-error.html#ixzz0gwZk0IH9

Sure, it's company bullshit, but at least it's something!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As an impartial outsider, am I allowed to find this hilarious? Honestly, sorry for your losses and all but Jesus this has to be embarrassing for Sony. Someone is going to be publicly flogged, let alone fired over this.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Sony Twitter accounts have updated a few times today, but they have come out with anything concrete yet.

Diarmuid on
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dashui wrote: »
    Do they really recommend not to start up the system, or was that just poorly worded and they only recommend you not try and connect to PSN? My copy of Killzone 2 is teasing the heck out of me.

And speaking of my copy of Killzone 2, fuck the Gamestop used stickers. These are impossible to remove. Impossible. Oh sure let's put one of these things on the paper fucking insert that wraps around the case! I could have put it on the plastic, but oh no, that would have been much easier for the user to remove. We don't want to make it easy.

That one website, not Sony, suggests not powering your PS3 on.

If you have synced your trophies while connected to the PSN, they are saved on Sony's servers so you won't lose anything. The hope this advice rests on is that if you wait until 3/2/2010 to power your PS3 on, you'll be able to bypass this bug entirely. Hope.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is absolutely the worst time for this to have happened. About 2 weeks prior to the launch of one of the biggest games on the PS3. A game that could be a system mover (luckily they'd be buying PS3 Slims).

However, instead, their longest supporters all find themselves screw over by what may be something easily fixed or could be something huge instead. Regardless...the bad press will flow now.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »
    This is absolutely the worst time for this to have happened. About 2 weeks prior to the launch of one of the biggest games on the PS3. A game that could be a system mover (luckily they'd be buying PS3 Slims).

However, instead, their longest supporters all find themselves screw over by what may be something easily fixed or could be something huge instead. Regardless...the bad press will flow now.

Not the worst time.

It would be worse if it happened on March 15.

Lucascraft on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I find this all rather funny!

psychotix on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As an impartial outsider, am I allowed to find this hilarious? Honestly, sorry for your losses and all but Jesus this has to be embarrassing for Sony. Someone is going to be publicly flogged, let alone fired over this.

You gotta think of the vast majority of people who own one of these and don't bother with news are just going to go "hmm, guess it broke, that sucks" and never fuck with it again.

Allforce on
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

That one website, not Sony, suggests not powering your PS3 on.

If you have synced your trophies while connected to the PSN, they are saved on Sony's servers so you won't lose anything. The hope this advice rests on is that if you wait until 3/2/2010 to power your PS3 on, you'll be able to bypass this bug entirely. Hope.

For this to have any hope of working, you would have to hard-power off your PS3 with the power switch on the back before midnight last night. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

There's a battery on your board for a reason. It keeps the clock running even when there is no power at all. And this seems to be a clock-related issue.

Xaviar on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Marikir wrote: »

I would imagine/hope it'll be fixed long before that. Hell, the Final Fantasy launch is next week too, and even if you don't like FF, it is a pretty disastrous problem for them in that respect, especially in multi-system households. I can definitely see the MS hype machine jumping up onto their soapbox next Tuesday and pointing to the game also being out on their system.

Aoi on
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Allforce wrote: »

You gotta think of the vast majority of people who own one of these and don't bother with news are just going to go "hmm, guess it broke, that sucks" and never fuck with it again.

:lol: Because the vast majority of people that spend 3 to 5 hundred dollars on a piece of electronics typically just treat them like disposable batteries when they break.

Edit: Oh, it's just you. NM :lol:

Aoi on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am affected and I think it's hilarious. Going to be interested who gets blamed. I obviously don't know the full problem but it feels like someone missed a unit test.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's part of the economic stimulus package, break everyone's PS3 right before big-name titles drop, then drag their heels on a fix so they have to buy a new one.

Foolproof.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't give a shit who gets blamed, I just want it fixed ASAP.

Diarmuid on
    edited March 2010
    It's part of the economic stimulus package, break everyone's PS3 right before big-name titles drop, then drag their heels on a fix so they have to buy a new one.

Foolproof.

Except that new systems are scarce as hell right now. I work at Gamestop and I tell as many as 20 people a day that we are out of stock of PS3. Have been out of stock for over a month. We're located by both a Wal-Mart and a Target and we have people coming in all day long from both of those stores asking if we have any cause the big box stores are out of stock.

Its like that all over the city too. Nobody has any.

Lucascraft on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Foolproof.

Except that new systems are scarce as hell right now. I work at Gamestop and I tell as many as 20 people a day that we are out of stock of PS3. Have been out of stock for over a month. We're located by both a Wal-Mart and a Target and we have people coming in all day long from both of those stores asking if we have any cause the big box stores are out of stock.

Its like that all over the city too. Nobody has any.

I keep hearing this story, but keep seeing them by the cockload in every store I walk into.

Is it to the point where scalping is profitable yet, 'cause if so, Daddy's getting a new pair of shoes.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kon-spee-ra-see's are fuuuuhn!

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I found this interesting, I may have to give it a whirl.

"Well the gist is that the ARM SYSCON CPU that is used to power up the front panel of the ps3, that is responsible for doing things like sleep mode, eject, RTC etc. Is an old batch that sony picked up from the shelf like other manufacturers that has that calendar year bug regarding feburary 29th on certain periods. Causing the ps3 and the real time system clock to desync, messing up timing like Digital Rights Management software and sometimes games that relies on clocks for whatever reason.

This is the same CPU that is powering up mobile devices like zune and blackberries, they have been affected with this bug, so they done some software patches. A syscon update can also fix this problem

The Slims ps3s aren't affected with this problem because they use a newer up to date revision on the syscon cpu that fixes this bug, this cpu is always on even when your ps3 is powered off.

A quick way to fix this is to remove the RTC battery for at least 5-10 min and plug it back in, you will see the date and time reset, and voila...

BTW all this was quoted from some ps3 hardware gurus and tested by various of peeps on efnet, all thanks to them for the information"

psychotix on