As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Problem - headphones work, speakers don't

DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
A friend did something retarded to my computer and now for some reason I can't get sound from any speakers - not my usual ones or the ones I have borrowed to try out. Headphones however work just fine. I have Windows Vista. I've tried to fiddle with the settings but nothing thus far.

DarkCrawler on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had this same problem with a computer after I changed it's case. It was a while ago, but I think what had happened was it had been connected to a front panel for audio on the previous case, but for the new case it was gonna use the rear ports and after removing the front panel connector there was a jumper that needed to connect 2 pins.

Did your friend do anything inside the computer, and does any of what I just said ring any bells?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No, nothing inside the computer. I think she was trying to use some another sort of audio output device (some sort of headphones, not completely sure) and after that speakers don't work at all. I think it's a settings problem but I simply can't grasp what possibly could have changed.

It still recognizes that speakers are connected too, there is simply no sound.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    SkimblecatSkimblecat Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Maybe a silly suggestion but are the speakers plugged into the correct spot?

Skimblecat on
    Enforcer
    PAX Prime Security Team Lead
    PAX Dev Security Manager
  • Options
    mechaThormechaThor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Skimblecat wrote: »
    Maybe a silly suggestion but are the speakers plugged into the correct spot?

This. Also do your speakers work on other devices? For all you know she might have blown out the speakers.

Edit: Out of curiosity what sort of speakers are they and do you know what audio driver set you use? (Realtek is the most common for onboard audio I think)

mechaThor on
    "I sent an e-mail asking why wood elves get +2 Str when other dwarves did not. My response from customer service consisted of five words: 'Wood elves are really strong.' "
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Have tried every possible spot there is, no deal.

They work on another computer, and I've tried different speakers on the same computer. I'm not very good with computers so I can't really describe the speakers in any way except that they are, as far as I can tell, ordinary speakers that you plug in and get sound from. They are pretty old, though.

I would update the drivers (realtek) but for some reason Realtek's site is uh, really wierd and it seems to be impossible to download the latest ones from there...when I try to it just redirects me back to the original download page.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Maybe something changed the card so that it can no longer "drive" the speakers? For example, I can use headphones just fine with my computer, but using old HP speakers (the ones that hooked into the side of their monitors) is a no-go. I have to use speakers with a seperate power source if I want to hear anything.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    go to your control panel open up sounds (switch to classic view first). make sure you're in the playback tab. with your speakers plugged in to the normal spot, go down each device listed, right click on them and click test.

when sound comes out of your speakers, set that device as the default.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There is probably a mechanical switch in your headphone jack that is bent. This is what tells the PC that there are headphones plugged in and it should kill the speaker output. Plug the speakers into the headphone jack and my guess is that they will work.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    danieljonesdanieljones Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    It might facing some problem with the device manager.So you try first to unstall your device from the list and then install it again.I have tried out this earlier and it worked.

danieljones on