As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beetles battle to be the top poopmaster! (Science)

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also The dental thing is a pretty spectacular demonstration of gate theory

#pipe on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    #pipe is a pretty spectacular demonstration of gay theory

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • blakeblake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Macera wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    For some reason this title made me think of big bad beatle borgs

fuck yeah big bad beetle borgs

blake on
    What kind of bees make milk?
    Boobees!
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    #pipe is a pretty spectacular demonstration of gay theory

oh you bastard

#pipe on
    edited March 2010
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    YES

Antimatter on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    THOSE LITTLE ROVERS FUCKING RULE.

Metzger Meister on
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While not conclusive, it's still the best thing I've heard all day, by a long margin.

Now all I need is the All Whites [strike] win [/strike] [strike] draw [/strike] beat the spread against Mexico.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited March 2010
    Spirit will totally get out of the sand because it believes in the heart of the cards.

#pipe on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i am concerned about my weight. lately i've been getting really winded and i think it's having an effect on my personality.

i have no energy, i'm bummed out all the time, i've been having horrible nightmares... maybe i'm just depressed?

i dunno though, there are other days where i'm really, really hyper and bouncing off the walls and shit and full of piss and vinegar!

would losing weight even help or am i bound for the boobie hatch?

Metzger Meister on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If it's just started happening recently Metz, it might be SAD

Usagi on
    edited March 2010
    a more varied, balanced diet and increasing exercise are a very early part of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy treatment of depression.

It's not a cure, but it has certainly been shown to have a positive affect

#pipe on
    edited March 2010
    Am I alone in thinking Seasonal Affective Disorder seems like a crock of shit?

#pipe on
    edited March 2010
    i am concerned about my weight. lately i've been getting really winded and i think it's having an effect on my personality.

i have no energy, i'm bummed out all the time, i've been having horrible nightmares... maybe i'm just depressed?

i dunno though, there are other days where i'm really, really hyper and bouncing off the walls and shit and full of piss and vinegar!

would losing weight even help or am i bound for the boobie hatch?

there's no way we can say with any certainty because we're not doctors and we can't examine you, but it is likely that exercising more would make you feel more energetic and improve your mood long term

but that doesn't eliminate the possibility that there's something else going on
    so if you have medical insurance, you should talk to your doctor about it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Hm... the days where I'm hyper do seem to be pretty sunny and nice...

Alternatively, maybe I'm depressed because I'm realizing that I haaaaate college sooooooooo much and I can't quit because

a) shit's expensive
    b) parents would shit
    c) larlar

also, i dunno if it's SAD because i love the winter! i love the cold, iron-gray clouds in the sky and the crisp white snow on the ground and seeing tracks in it from the pre-dawn adventures of wee animals and such.

OH GOD WHAT IF I'M DYING AND MY BODY IS TRYING TO TELL MEEEE
    thanks for the help usagi, you're a peach.

edit: haha, medical insurance, listen to this guy! actually, as a full-time student i can be on my step-dad's work insurance, we just haven't gotten around to it. for some reason.

despite a rash made seemingly of horrible angry painful blemishes that covers the right side of my torso/upper thigh and probable cavities in mah teeth.

man i whinge a lot.

Metzger Meister on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this is a thing that is neat!

Developed by Dr. Steven G. Goldberg DDS and Bresslergroup, DentalVibe vibrates at irregular intervals. While the brain ignores rapid rhythmical vibration, it notices pulses that are not regular. These vibrations are transmitted by A-beta nerve fibers, which are faster than the slower C fibers that transmit the sensation of pain caused by the needle penetrating your gums.

The result is that your brain will only notice the percussive vibration, but not the pain of the needle tearing apart the flesh of your gums until it hits the bone.

Faricazy on
    edited March 2010
    Metz if you can manage it, I would thoroughly recommend doing what Dru said and going to your GP

maybe get a referral to talk to someone.

it helped me a whole bunch.

#pipe on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Usagi are you familar with the acronym RAO in terms of naval design?

I have an awfully big report about a floating offshore platform and it keeps popping up.

Blake T on
    edited March 2010
    Hm... the days where I'm hyper do seem to be pretty sunny and nice...

Alternatively, maybe I'm depressed because I'm realizing that I haaaaate college sooooooooo much and I can't quit because

a) shit's expensive
    b) parents would shit
    c) larlar

also, i dunno if it's SAD because i love the winter! i love the cold, iron-gray clouds in the sky and the crisp white snow on the ground and seeing tracks in it from the pre-dawn adventures of wee animals and such.

OH GOD WHAT IF I'M DYING AND MY BODY IS TRYING TO TELL MEEEE
    thanks for the help usagi, you're a peach.

edit: haha, medical insurance, listen to this guy! actually, as a full-time student i can be on my step-dad's work insurance, we just haven't gotten around to it. for some reason.

despite a rash made seemingly of horrible angry painful blemishes that covers the right side of my torso/upper thigh and probable cavities in mah teeth.

man i whinge a lot.

you should really get on your step-dad's insurance if he's willing and then get the rash and dental issues dealt with pronto
    leaving them go will just make things worse over time and more expensive/painful to deal with as well as messing up your health even more
    that shit can snowball on you, not least of all because of the added stress you're almost certainly experiencing about them

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2010
    welp, it's been a while since I looked at SAD research #pipe, but the last time I did there was some preliminary evidence about Vitamin D and sunlight being responsible

and please hold blaket, let me have a search through some notes

Usagi on
    edited March 2010
    Googling tells me Rudder Angle Order?

Faricazy on
    edited March 2010
    no no no it's Retired Activities Office
    duh

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2010
    hmm, I'm not seeing anything pop out in terms of offshore platform acronyms

though, it this a research paper by chance? it might be research announcement of opportunity

context would be helpful

Usagi on
    edited March 2010
    Faricazy on
  • DragonicityDragonicity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Random Acronym Obviously

Dragonicity on
    edited March 2010
    and Fari wins, I'm pretty sure

Usagi on
    edited March 2010
    Ripped Asian Overlord

Metzger Meister on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks guys!

And now to disregard that 80 page report!

Blake T on
    edited March 2010
    well in a weird twist of events, searching for RAO has led me to bunch of job openings

so uh, thanks Blaket and Fari!

Usagi on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    #pipe wrote: »

I get pretty severely depressed in the winter.

MKR on
    edited March 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    well in a weird twist of events, searching for RAO has led me to bunch of job openings

mostly in Seattle I hope! <3

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2010

I wouldn't call it a crock of shit.

I'd call it, staying indoors for most of the day and not enjoying outside makes you miserable. SHOCK.

That it is more lifestyle caused depression rather than the actual weather, it's just that your lifestyle is being changed by the weather.

Anyway time to email the client and tell him that I hope he didn't quote a fixed price because the amount of steel he is going to use is going to double!

Blake T on
    edited March 2010

this was an elaborate ruse

Faricazy on
    edited March 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

mostly in Seattle I hope! <3

you know it!

though I'd like to take a moment and say a big ol' fuck you to Rolls Royce for ending their hiring freeze when I want to be leaving this state

Usagi on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm torn between staying in Athens when I eventually move or going to Seattle after a while. It's basically a choice between rain and tornadoes or rain and earthquakes.

edit: Seattle's GIS system is much nicer. As a data whore, this is appealing to me.

MKR on
    edited March 2010
    Blaket wrote: »

I wouldn't call it a crock of shit.

I'd call it, staying indoors for most of the day and not enjoying outside makes you miserable. SHOCK.

That it is more lifestyle caused depression rather than the actual weather, it's just that your lifestyle is being changed by the weather.

Anyway time to email the client and tell him that I hope he didn't quote a fixed price because the amount of steel he is going to use is going to double!

oh yeah you're right. I was looking at it from the wrong direction.

#pipe on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man
    On February 17th, an air traffic controller let his little boy take the reigns for at least five transmissions to commercial jets at JFK International. This was terribly dangerous breach of protocol! And so totally awesome for the kid.

So many questions here: why'd the pilots go along with it? How could the air traffic controllers have possibly thought this was a good idea? And has there ever been a better Take Your Child to Work Day?

The involved parties have been suspended (and/or sent to bed without dessert) while the FAA investigates. In the meantime, let's all breathe a sigh of relief that no one was hurt, and wave a fist of anger that we didn't get to play.

and just because that wasn't really science.

500x_prescher_mysterious_automatic_.jpg
    The more I look at Thomas Prescher's Mysterious Double Axis Tourbillon watch, the more I think it's impossible this thing exists. The watch is completely empty of everything except the tourbillon, apparently floating in the middle of space.

Only one single metal wire holds it there, rotating onto itself and improving the accuracy of the time mechanism. The watch's movement is inside the bezel, and it is powered by the horizontal swinging oscillating weight you can see on the top.
    Link

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited March 2010
    I don't understand that watch at all

#pipe on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That watch gave me a headache

and also murdered my family

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That kid air traffic controller is adorable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUNgyS1o-Cg

DrIanMalcolm on
This discussion has been closed.