As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mission WaMpossible: Get a (Job)

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i loved working retail - i did it part time next to a full time job a couple years back

just got too difficult when i moved downtown.

i found it really rewarding and i was always top-sales. good times.

caught a thief once, too!

mully on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's why I love working in a lab. When I don't want to talk to people, I put on a lab coat and start doing dangerous shit to keep them away.

Venting my argon tank works too. Scares the shit out of people.

Hunter on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2010
    Working in an office isn't that bad.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If I'd worked retail I would probably be less afraid of people

It's much easier to hide from social situations in an office

Ten on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ten wrote: »

this is exactly why i forced myself to try retail
    didn't need the money, just wanted to try it
    highly recommended

mully on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    mully wrote: »
    Ten wrote: »

this is exactly why i forced myself to try retail
    didn't need the money, just wanted to try it
    highly recommended

Hrm, interesting idea. Thankyou for opening my mind to this possibility, one of the things I definitely want to do in Vancouver is get out and interact with people more. I hadn't considered that particular avenue though!

There are like a million other things I want to do while I'm there though so working a low wage retail job might cut into my time too much :P

Ten on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There has got to be a better way to improve your social skills than submitting yourself to a shitty job.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Iroh wrote: »
    There has got to be a better way to improve your social skills than submitting yourself to a shitty job.

Absolutely. The reason I considered it though is that everything else I've already planned will probably just put me in contact with people I already know I'm going to get along with pretty well, so perhaps that wouldn't push my social skills far enough. Working a shitty job would mean I would have the challenge of dealing with all sorts of people.

The whole 'improve my social skills' isn't really my main goal though so it would probably be going a bit too far.

Edit: Also one of the main social problems I have is that I'm overly paranoid about offending people to the point where I just don't say anything, I figure a job in retail should burn that out of me pretty quickly :P

Ten on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    noobert wrote: »
    The worst thing is having a job, and only JUST not getting enough hours to live.

So now I have to find a new job, all because they won't let me pick up an extra 4 hours a week :(

Where and what kind of work?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    What is/are okapi? I have never heard of them, you are just making that up to try and dazzle me with your supposed zoological knowledge.

By the time you typed that on the forum, you could have google searched it. Just saying.

Maybe I was making conversation!

It's ok I am always down for talking about animals! but Mr Buttons is pretty close. It's actually closer to a giraffe than deer. It looks like a deer with zebra stripes. And it can shoot mind bullets. They are pretty rare, we only have something like 200 in zoos (don't quote me).

also- I will be learning how keepers feed lions, but we dont actually give them any live animals.
    This is much more exciting to me than my real job and tomorrow I find out if I am accepted for that baller internship.

Good luck! And an okapi

4376081828351c7b7b53193.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Never once have I vented argon tanks

or tanks of any kind, really. i hope i get to do something rad like that before I keel over dead.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    New Job Status Report:

I won't need to burn the building to the ground. at least not yet.

But man, it's a culture shock going into a traditional office and development environment. Gaming has warped not only how I interact with co-workers, but how I tackle challenges and assignments.

I'm accustomed to taking a job, getting it done as quickly as humanly possible, anticipating the next step, doing that, and including three examples of improvements. Evidently these people are not at all used to someone going full-bore all-day. As the particular task they gave me took me about 45 mins, the rest took me about 2 hours.

They budgeted two days.

Judging by the burn-down charts and utilization numbers.... yeah.... I may need to relax a bit. I'm scaring the locals.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I almost just overdrafted my bank account.

I don't know if it's because of higher bills than usual, or if I've been spending too much, or what, but it fucking sucks to come home from a sixth-day double to find that you have no fucking money.

So I either need to A) find a better-paying job, B) work my current job until I can't fucking stand upright, or C) figure out WTF I spent all my goddamn money on and stop it.

Or a combination of those.

I think the Etsy shop has got to go, though. It's only increasing the amount of stress I'm under right now, and it certainly isn't going to make any money without causing even more.

Sheri on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    New Job Status Report:

I won't need to burn the building to the ground. at least not yet.

But man, it's a culture shock going into a traditional office and development environment. Gaming has warped not only how I interact with co-workers, but how I tackle challenges and assignments.

I'm accustomed to taking a job, getting it done as quickly as humanly possible, anticipating the next step, doing that, and including three examples of improvements. Evidently these people are not at all used to someone going full-bore all-day. As the particular task they gave me took me about 45 mins, the rest took me about 2 hours.

They budgeted two days.

Judging by the burn-down charts and utilization numbers.... yeah.... I may need to relax a bit. I'm scaring the locals.

I managed a few years of performing decently in office environments, but when I got laid off from the job I chased for years to get, it pretty much broke something in my mind. I'm in field duty mindset near about all of the time now.

Weaver on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I started my new job today! Sounds pretty neat. Their corporate structure is... interesting. All "we don't believe in multiple levels of management!"

I don't know how true that is, but it seems like a cool job (once I get through the painfully boring orientation classes), and it pays well, and my first three months there I'll have Friday - Sunday off, sooo it should be rad!

Also, a lot of French-Canadians there. Well, a lot of Canadians in general.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's really a big reason why I'm searching for lower-paying blue-collar fare right now because I need to spend my days doing actual work and not wasting my day doing bullshit.

Weaver on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheri wrote: »
    I think the Etsy shop has got to go, though. It's only increasing the amount of stress I'm under right now, and it certainly isn't going to make any money without causing even more.

Aww, boo. Could I still paypal you money sometime in the near future to get one of those sweet hats?

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Aww, boo. Could I still paypal you money sometime in the near future to get one of those sweet hats?

Fuck yes, clearly I need $$$

I think part of my issue is that I've been spending money on yarn. So I've got all this goddamn yarn lying around and it's not making me any money.

So Mori, if you want a hat, know that you will be contributing to me not getting kicked out of my apartment <3

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So I just found out that Aldi (grocery store) is looking for full-time office assistants at a pretty high rate of pay (way higher than I make now, for sure) for a distribution center and they're doing reviewing and accepting applications tomorrow which just happens to be my only day off this week. I take it as a sign.

I mean, it's definitely not my ideal, but more money = happy Sheri. Also maybe I can stay part time at Disney if I move to something like this.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Best of luck, Sheri.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I just found out that Aldi (grocery store) is looking for full-time office assistants at a pretty high rate of pay (way higher than I make now, for sure) for a distribution center and they're doing reviewing and accepting applications tomorrow which just happens to be my only day off this week. I take it as a sign.

I mean, it's definitely not my ideal, but more money = happy Sheri. Also maybe I can stay part time at Disney if I move to something like this.

Always sucks to hear someone's having financial troubles. Good luck with that, Sheri.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I also may have applied to Glamour Shots, but I ain't workin' for them unless they make me a goddamn manager.

(not gonna happen)

Sheri on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd work more if I had time
    I wish I did, but alas, right now, it's not meant to be.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Always sucks to hear someone's having financial troubles. Good luck with that, Sheri.

To be fair, I wasn't having financial troubles until I decided to grow the fuck up, move out of Mom's, and get a car.

Soooo rent, car payments and car insurance are all new to me and oh god how do people live like this

Sheri on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Speaking of work, this guy wrote an article about his experience working in Japan. There's some interesting stuff, but that's not why I'm going to link to it.

I present to you all one of the most editing-starved pieces of writing I've read in years. This is not an exaggeration. Years. And I read a lot.
    You could literally cut 2/3 of this.

OK this is from forever ago but I just found this quote and wow
    ...whose face (figuratively) literally screamed...

:x

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As someone who has wanted to be an editor for a long, long time. . .

Ow.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

To be fair, I wasn't having financial troubles until I decided to grow the fuck up, move out of Mom's, and get a car.

Soooo rent, car payments and car insurance are all new to me and oh god how do people live like this

We bitch about it all the time

Weaver on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

It's a natural progression, though. So you can't really be faulted for it.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    What do you guys hear about suite101.com?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    just started my own insurance plan

ye gods

I'm starting to regret it

fuck it, I'll just walk my broken arms off

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Speaking of work, this guy wrote an article about his experience working in Japan. There's some interesting stuff, but that's not why I'm going to link to it.

I present to you all one of the most editing-starved pieces of writing I've read in years. This is not an exaggeration. Years. And I read a lot.
    You could literally cut 2/3 of this.

I'm pretty sure the last four times I've seen someone say, "Holy shit, get an editor" and drop a link, it's been one of this guy's essays on Kotaku.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

im actually interested in this, i found it about a month ago and have been playing with the idea of using them to start a little bit of freelance writing on the side.

id be interested as well if anyone has any information on them.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I SOMEHOW managed it in England. I'm earning like twice as much now as I was in the UK and it's much tougher, I don't know why!

Janson on
  • Options
    SethronuSethronu Registered User new member
    edited March 2010

I don't have any experience working with them myself, but from what I've read around the web (was considering writing there myself for a while), it's basically a rip off. Lots of people are saying the pay you get compared to amount of work you put in is very low, also most of the articles that get any real hits are crappy fashion/housewife advice and stuff like that, and the general idea I've got is basically you'd be better off making a focused blog or website of your own and pushing that instead.

Unless you're lucky enough to be interested on a topic THEY are interested in, and don't mind writing 'sellable' articles purely for the sake of it with whatever drops of cash that comes from it as an added bonus.

Mind, this is entirely based on opinions of people I do not know and there's also plenty of people who are happy enough writing for them (or just don't know any better, but hey), so take this with a grain of salt. If you end up writing for them yourself and it actually turns out good, do let me know :p

Sethronu on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

We bitch about it all the time

Word. Also, she should be happy about renting. Wait until mortgage, escrow, property tax, and if you don't put enough down payment on the home the wonderful world of PMI. I hate being grown up.

Hunter on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So job shit... awesome. Right up my alley this week.

Yeah, so the job I spent $4000 moving to? Apparently not offered. When we did a phone interview over the phone and I asked specifically if I should fly down and do a live interview, I was told emphatically no... that they wanted me and to come in and see them when I get into town. Ok, cool. so I get in Sunday night and go see him Monday morning. I call first and he says "HEY! Come on in any time and we'll sit down and have a chat" which apparently is Texan for "Hello there, I am arranging a formal interview with you. Please come in at ______". I guess I didn't read between the lines enough. So I come in Monday, dressed in business casual and he brings a couple of other guys in to ask some questions. He says "Well, we just hired another full time and two part time. We'll find room on the schedule for you." which is okay because there were 5 full-time positions open. Here, fill out this background check form and I'll let you know by the end fo the week.

I call their HR guy because I realize they have my Alaska phone number and the guy says "Oh! I just sent you a letter, and it was not an offer letter." Huh.

Blah blah blah so long story shorter, I didn't get the job because I wasn't 'dressed professionally for an interview'. WTF?? I was not told I had to interview. As a matter of fact, I was told specifically they DIDN'T NEED to interview me because I have the job pending my Texas MICP license coming through. So yeah... now I have no job and my boyfriend and I are living in a hotel.

All is not lost, however. The original ambulance service I wanted to work for called me up while I was on the drive down here and said "Hey! We're having our testing process for new hires on the 22nd. Come on it!" This is the place I interned with in 2008. They wanted me before, I was just stupid and didn't take the offer. So anyway, I went in and was told I'm #1 on their list because my preceptor and their education director (2 different people) called, visited in person and e-mailed them saying if I applied again that I needed to be placed at the top of the list as I was high priority. I spoke with them again and they were like "Yeah, we've heard that a lot about that guy. Besides... we know you're supposed to be here. The stars are just telling you a little more forcefully now."

So I just now have to find some temp work. I have money saved, but not enough to last more than two months. Sooo... yeah. Good times in motherfuckin Texas.

Grr.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that fucking sucks cogs, I hope the other ambulance service comes through quickly for you!

Usagi on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cogs, how much you got saved up and where are you? you may be able to stretch it farther than you think, depending

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So the jobcentre got me an interview to be a worker in what is essentially a jobcentre run by the local council as opposed to the government. The downside is it's minimum wage and only 30 hours a week, so I'd only be getting something like £60 a week more than I'm getting at the moment. The upside, though, is that I'll have access to all the job listings, and can get on applying to things quickly and all job experience is pretty snazzy.

Still gotta be on the lookout for better things though

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    So job shit... awesome. Right up my alley this week.

Yeah, so the job I spent $4000 moving to? Apparently not offered. When we did a phone interview over the phone and I asked specifically if I should fly down and do a live interview, I was told emphatically no... that they wanted me and to come in and see them when I get into town. Ok, cool. so I get in Sunday night and go see him Monday morning. I call first and he says "HEY! Come on in any time and we'll sit down and have a chat" which apparently is Texan for "Hello there, I am arranging a formal interview with you. Please come in at ______". I guess I didn't read between the lines enough. So I come in Monday, dressed in business casual and he brings a couple of other guys in to ask some questions. He says "Well, we just hired another full time and two part time. We'll find room on the schedule for you." which is okay because there were 5 full-time positions open. Here, fill out this background check form and I'll let you know by the end fo the week.

I call their HR guy because I realize they have my Alaska phone number and the guy says "Oh! I just sent you a letter, and it was not an offer letter." Huh.

Blah blah blah so long story shorter, I didn't get the job because I wasn't 'dressed professionally for an interview'. WTF?? I was not told I had to interview. As a matter of fact, I was told specifically they DIDN'T NEED to interview me because I have the job pending my Texas MICP license coming through. So yeah... now I have no job and my boyfriend and I are living in a hotel.

All is not lost, however. The original ambulance service I wanted to work for called me up while I was on the drive down here and said "Hey! We're having our testing process for new hires on the 22nd. Come on it!" This is the place I interned with in 2008. They wanted me before, I was just stupid and didn't take the offer. So anyway, I went in and was told I'm #1 on their list because my preceptor and their education director (2 different people) called, visited in person and e-mailed them saying if I applied again that I needed to be placed at the top of the list as I was high priority. I spoke with them again and they were like "Yeah, we've heard that a lot about that guy. Besides... we know you're supposed to be here. The stars are just telling you a little more forcefully now."

So I just now have to find some temp work. I have money saved, but not enough to last more than two months. Sooo... yeah. Good times in motherfuckin Texas.

Grr.

See, I'm of the mind that you should be able to go into the first business and give them a piece of your mind. Or at least explain that you were not informed that it would be an interview, and that you were told you didn't need to be interviewed and also that they are all silly gooses (maybe not that last part).

Also uh I dunno what your definition of 'business casual' is, but that's usually what I wear to interviews (if I ever have them ;_; ).

Sheri on
This discussion has been closed.