As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA] Toy Soldiers: Assuming control of these Privates!

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
The Demo is out and Holy shit. HOLY SHIT.

Toy Soldiers

Released today, Toy Soldiers is a combination of Action and Strategy, similar to Brutal Legend, but also very much in tune with Battalion Wars and Battlefield Midway. Throw in some Defense Grid and you have Toy Soldiers.

This game combines Action and Tower Defense. The battlefield takes place in within a toy WW1 battlefield and you must battle waves of little toy soldiers, collect resources to gain units and place them on the ground. Except rather than be an individual avatar on the ground, you can zoom in and take control of any unit you wish, and switch between them on a whim.

The waves of enemies are advancing on your Toy Box, which holds everything for your army. You must defend it as hard as you can.

Got a fixed machine gun emplaced? Take control and make ground beef.
Just placed some Mortars? Launch them yourself!
Have a Sniper Tower? Snipe your enemies!
Built an Airplane? Drop some bombs! Crash it on the enemy if you don't give a shit!

The game works with Facebook to show different clans representing WW1 Europe. More on this later, when I figure out how it works.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm cautiously optimistic and awaiting some further approval before getting too excited.

4rch3nemy on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm downloading the demo now. I'm gonna give it a spin after I type some stuff up.

Nimble Cat on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played the demo for a bit, got lost in all the chaos but I loved every minute of the madness. I will experiment more during a break in my exam studying.

I love games like Battlezone, Sacrifice and Brutal Legend, and anything that reminds me of them.

Cantido on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I played the demo for a bit, got lost in all the chaos but I loved every minute of the madness. I will experiment more during a break in my exam studying.

I love games like Battlezone, Sacrifice and Brutal Legend, and anything that reminds me of them.

I too thought Battlezone (and what little I played of BL) was super special awesome. I'm gonna have to check this one out.

Any word on multiplayer?

BlueDestiny on
    edited March 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

I too thought Battlezone (and what little I played of BL) was super special awesome. I'm gonna have to check this one out.

Any word on multiplayer?

Yes, there is 1 on 1 multiplayer, but I don't know how it works. Because it's partially Tower Defense, I don't know whether it's two armies trying to sack each other, or if there's a Attack/Defend half time method.

There's also a Facebook powered clan map like what Mechassault 2 and Chomehounds had.

Cantido on
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm usually not one for Tower Defense but I'm really digging this one, bought it right after I finished the demo. It has enough options and with an Elite mode (which I imagine is brutal considering say the first time you hit a Zsar? tank in campaign), a Campaign+ and all the unlocks/Rations it seems like it has a good dose of replay in it. Haven't tried Multi yet.

Oh, and it's WWI, not WWII.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    edited March 2010
    WW1? Then I updated the OP.

Cantido on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Which also means there aren't MG42s.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited March 2010
    KingMole wrote: »
    Which also means there aren't MG42s.

:oops:

The sad thing is I enjoy history. I get an F now.

Cantido on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just spent a couple hours playing the Famous Wargame From Bothell, and I'm enjoying it.

Good variety of units, slick presentation, friendly campaign system that makes it fun to revisit missions with better armament. Haven't tried playing someone online yet, will get to that eventually.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Toy Soldiers?

Don't play as Wil Wheaton, he can't handle the recoil.

1290497-toysoldiers06.jpg

Delta Assault on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This would be better if it were based on Small Soldiers

UnbreakableVow on
  • UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm still unsure about this one. I liked it until I had to fly that damn plane...

I don't know if I can buy it before trying 1 vs. 1 multiplayer... and since it's not on the demo...

UbuRoiAA on
    edited March 2010
    UbuRoiAA wrote: »
    I'm still unsure about this one. I liked it until I had to fly that damn plane...

I don't know if I can buy it before trying 1 vs. 1 multiplayer... and since it's not on the demo...

Now that part does make me uneasy, I just need to learn the rules of where planes come from and when to use them, because you only get to use each one once.

Dropping bombs is good times though.

Cantido on
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It annoys me that I can invert everything until I try to snipe, in which case I'm SOL.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

The only thing this game is missing is as follows.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vKfxKtGLU8

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I enjoyed the demo, but it didn't quite convince me to buy it at 1200 points. Part of it was that I upgraded it and had a tower on every slot so after randomly dropping fences everywhere, I was bored for the last few minutes.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I will forgive the use of "OMFG" in the title because this game looks so fucking great

It's the first game to make me really sad that I don't have a 360

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I enjoyed the demo, but it didn't quite convince me to buy it at 1200 points. Part of it was that I upgraded it and had a tower on every slot so after randomly dropping fences everywhere, I was bored for the last few minutes.

Most of the time you have a vehicle to help your defenses out (Tank with dual flamethrowers/Tank with triple poisonthrowers/Fighter plane with 5 bombs/Bomber plane with infinite bombs, 8 at a time)

I played the hell out of this, beat the Allied campaign, doing the German one now. (Holy shit secondaries are hard on german campaign!)

But there is one secondary I simply do not understand what they want me to do, its level 5-6 allied campaign named something like Fort Douaumont, secondary objective "Destroy all bonus objects"...

What the hell does that mean ? I literally bombed the shit out of that stage thinking its all the thrash you need to shoot, but seems like it isnt, has anyone gotten this objective done ?

Edit: Listening to the Cannon Fodder theme makes this game even more fun :mrgreen: "War! Never been so much fun! Go up to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, dying in the sun"

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
    edited March 2010
    Sorry to double post, but you should really change the thread name to something indicating that the full game is out, and not just the demo.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I still need to play the demo, but the game looks like a tremendous amount of fun from the giant bomb quicklook. The facebook game integration is also pretty nice.

Oh and the title definitively needs some pun about "playing with your privates".

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the facebook game that ties into this is pretty fun as well. Think bejeweled mixed with some other game i cant think of the name of, except instead of just switching adjacent tiles you can swap them from anywhere on the board.

good way to waste 10 min or so. i'm not 100% sure but there may be some sort of eventual link between the two titles at some point.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

But there is one secondary I simply do not understand what they want me to do, its level 5-6 allied campaign named something like Fort Douaumont, secondary objective "Destroy all bonus objects"...

What the hell does that mean ? I literally bombed the shit out of that stage thinking its all the thrash you need to shoot, but seems like it isnt, has anyone gotten this objective done ?

Haven't played the demo or the full game yet but have you tried shooting the objects that are off the board? The signs that pop up with the numbers on them? Saw them in the Giantbomb Quick Look but they didn't really try to destroy them.

AZChristopher on
    edited March 2010
    Newres wrote: »
    I still need to play the demo, but the game looks like a tremendous amount of fun from the giant bomb quicklook. The facebook game integration is also pretty nice.

Oh and the title definitively needs some pun about "playing with your privates".

It really is fun, usually I dont even like tower defense, but that you can control them all yourself makes it alot more fun, there is 12 allied levels and 12 german levels,

each stage has a secondary objective (for example "Destroy 2 tanks with 1 Big Bertha Cannon shot") there is 2 avatar awards and a gamerpicture in it too.

There is also a survival mode, where you fight an armored train that will keep unloading enemies after you.

Edit:

Haven't played the demo or the full game yet but have you tried shooting the objects that are off the board? The signs that pop up with the numbers on them? Saw them in the Giantbomb Quick Look but they didn't really try to destroy them.

Yeah I figured it out that it was those after another mission ticked me off about something similar (shoot some figurines on a table outside of your battlefield) Out of 24 secondaries, there is 2 I havent done, the first says "Use the biplane for this level"...

Thats not awfully specific, especially considering thats the Bomber, (the fighter is a triplane) and I'm not entirely sure what to do, since I doubt its possible with just the plane, 2nd one is very last level, but havent tried to do that one yet.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I gotta say, the aesthetics and gameplay are super awesome in this. But that 1200 points stings.

Need more unemployment-priced games :(

BlueDestiny on
    edited March 2010
    Zephos wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

The only thing this game is missing is as follows.

*sings it while trying to tunnel through the outer hull...*

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Demo was fun
    1200 points is not

Can't decide if I should buy it or not :(

Dox the PI on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If this was 800 I'd be playing it right now.

But its not, so I'll wait for a sale or forget about it. :(

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
    edited March 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Demo was fun
    1200 points is not

I found the full game a lot more satisfying than the demo. Good unit variety, varied missions.

It's worth the 1200, easily. There's been an unreasonable amount of hand-wringing within the XBL community over the extra five bucks. I know it's a lot of money... if it's 1990 and you need that money to buy new headphones for your Walkman so you can listen to your new tape of Poison by Bell Biv De Voe.

Zoku Gojira on
    edited March 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Demo was fun
    1200 points is not

I found the full game a lot more satisfying than the demo. Good unit variety, varied missions.

It's worth the 1200, easily. There's been an unreasonable amount of hand-wringing within the XBL community over the extra five bucks. I know it's a lot of money... if it's 1990 and you need that money to buy new headphones for your Walkman so you can listen to your new tape of Poison by Bell Biv De Voe.

I felt the same way, I was not sure if the demo showed the best the game would have to offer, but really it doesnt, you get to control tanks and airplanes, and it felt fresh throughout the game for me, I really recommend it.

There is 2 gamerpictures and 2 Avatar rewards in the game too (the 2nd gamerpic is really well hidden, you have to collect Golden Cubes (1 for each 24 levels) which are quite hard to find, I just found them all yesterday.

This game and Shadow Complex are my favourite Arcade games. (And I dont even like Tower Defense games, normally)

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not sure if it was the positive impressions, the Avatar gear, the fact the demo started teasng me about Achievements, the hype around the Block Party campaign and the free month of Live + 400 funbucks for buying everything like a whore, the promise of even more free Avatar gear, or the fact the demo was pretty fun...

but I just bought this game.

Shame, because it seems great and now I have to work all night :(

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's worth mentioning the demo does have multiplayer and you silly geese are unobservant for missing it. Right below campaign: multiplayer.

Both teams are set across from each other, you start out with a bunch of cash and start placing guns. You can order three units to be built and advance on the enemy (along with the infantry that come free at certain intervals). They are cavalry (can sneak in fast during a push), planes (bombs the shit out of the guns if they don't have anti-air), and tanks (which destroy everything and are a pain in the ass). Oddly, all cost the same (800$). You queue them up, and after about 90 seconds a wave goes out.

Best defense is a good offense, so it seems to be a good idea to always have a unit queuing up. Those tanks can wreck your shit if you don't have tanks coming out at the same time.

If you personally use a unit to kill enemy troops, it fills up a bar that lets you activate "barrage", which bombs the shit out of the enemy and helps make a push.

First to sneak enough soldiers in to the enemy toy box wins.

Endaro on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The full game's multiplayer varies the conditions of each map beyond just the placement of your guns and mortars. The units available to attack are switched up and on some maps you are locked out of certain defenses (an air-heavy map locks the AA guns, for instance).

The matchmaking is so-so. Half of my wins have come against people who (were) disconnected. Most of my losses have come against people that are way better than me. Endaro has the right of it though: you want to be attacking with frequency and with a unit that your opponent hasn't prepped for. Tanks are murder early on. Cavalry can get it done quickly if they aren't ready for it.

Another key to success is to assume control of either a plane or a tank and cause trouble for your opponent. Upgrading your mortars and guiding the shells will prove useful too.

Paradiso on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can fly controlled planes into the enemy's toy box.

Turkey on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Alright you silly geese. Sign up for the Kaiser's army in the Facebook game. It is like a Bejeweled or Puzzle Quest but with explosions and guns suitable for manly men of the Kaiser's army.

Apparently, you can get bonuses for in game stuff, but such things are still being studied in Berlin.

Also, buy the damned game. It is amazing.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Any of you folks interested in a multiplayer game tonight? 7 central. I'd like to try, but I need to finish before Lost is on at 8. ;)

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png