As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mission WaMpossible: Get a (Job)

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mully wrote: »
    haha they banned slap bracelets at our school too

they also banned gel-bracelets because they heard that they had connotations

(like a black bracelet was for every person youd had sex with, purple was if you'd had sex with someone of the same gender ..uhhh.. all the colours had a meaning, i don't really remember.)

gel pens were never banned from my school! i must've missed that part.

oh my gosh I remember that!! but it never really caught on at my junior high, probably because no one had done anything.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i had a pocket knife until i went to middle school. then they freaked out.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Hey JoeUser!

What types of jobs do you think I could get coming out of college next year with an Ethical Philosophy degree and two minors in Film Studies and Technical Theater? In addition I'll have been an RA for three years and been active on the college radio station for 3 years as well.

Where & for what do you think people would want to snag a great find like me? I've also been looking into law enforcement lately as I think investigation would be right up my alley.

are you limited by geography?

Not particularly, why do you ask?

helps joe and others to know where we can search for job postings. if you aren't limited by geography it widens the search by a lot.

are you certified with anything? what exactly kind of technical experience do you have? sound boards? lighting? etc.?

I have experience (I don't know about official certification) in:
    Radio sound boards
    Theater sound boards
    Production management

And hope to have experience by the time I graduate with:
    Lighting equipment
    Stage shop equipment
    Field film production equipment

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Mully isn't that hankerchiefs in back pocket??

They banned gel pens because teachers couldn't fucking read kids writing in my school

never heard of handkerchiefs for that..

our school had bracelets!

and i didn't know this

and for the longest time i wore like 25 black bracelets on each arm with friendship bracelets and stuff

when i found out, i was like, dang

mully on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    man people got too much time on their hands

and not enough asshole

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    haha they banned slap bracelets at our school too

they also banned gel-bracelets because they heard that they had connotations

(like a black bracelet was for every person youd had sex with, purple was if you'd had sex with someone of the same gender ..uhhh.. all the colours had a meaning, i don't really remember.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handkerchief_code ~

(i love made up antigay/antisex paranoia bullshit like this)
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Mully isn't that hankerchiefs in back pocket??

They banned gel pens because teachers couldn't fucking read kids writing in my school

!!!

Most kids responded to banned gel pens at school by using florescent coloured paper. Aw yeah, handing in social studies homework on searingly orange paper 8-)

wait, gay...fisting?

i mean, i guess for women it'd work. but for men...

it's like i want to see it, but i don't want to see it.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I loved gel pens. I used to draw on myself all the time with those. Then I got frustrated because they kept washing off (cuz they were supposed to) so I just started drawing with ball-point pens.

Sheri on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember I was like 11 and over at my moms friends house. She had a beanie baby collection and I was playing with one and I accidentally removed the tag.

She was pissed.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited March 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    the whole handkerchief thing would be confusing for colour blind people

mistakes would be made

also what the hell, why is BURNT UMBER the 'extreme' sex colour?

mully on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

mistakes would be made

you would think it would be MtDew green

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    pain olympics? rape fantasy? sheep?

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mysst wrote: »

mistakes would be made

you would think it would be MtDew green

fluorescent orange

mully on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ah man

when i was a kid i was afraid of getting my ass kicked by this one giant mexican kid

his parents work in the sugar beet fields, and the kid likely did too, judging by his "beat the shit out of everybody" disposition

i was like eight and terrified of this kid. dude would kick me in the stomach and run into a crowded game of touch football to throw in some cheap punches

one day it got to the point where i got a black eye, and dad was curious as to how it got there. he then told me his usual line of talking to the aides outside, and if they didn't listen to go apeshit on him

of course, i don't want no trouble. that mexican is fucking huge for a ten year old. like, massive

i get the great idea to put some sort of concoction of women's make up and hydrogen peroxide together and put it in a little tupperware thing because i'm postive i'll get blasted in the face again. an aide finds it on me when i start running from el gigante and the principle stops all recesses that day for fear of some sort of fatal mix of make up and hydrogen peroxide i've created

i'm crying because he's calling the authorities and asking just what unearthly thing i've created, shudderin' furiously at me the whole time

he puts it on speaker phone as if to mess with my eight year old head. the most relieving sound was them explaining to him that under no circumstances was make up and peroxide dangerous, ever. at all

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i had a pocket knife until i went to middle school. then they freaked out.

Los Angeles

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    ah man

when i was a kid i was afraid of getting my ass kicked by this one giant mexican kid

http://dummcomics.com/index?sid=542

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    ah man

ZimbosTrumpCard_v1.jpg

500 SERVER ERROR RUN^3!

YOU HAVE SOME EXPLAINING!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    handkerchiefs

I always knew Juan Epstein was a playa

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey JoeUser!

What types of jobs do you think I could get coming out of college next year with an Ethical Philosophy degree and two minors in Film Studies and Technical Theater? In addition I'll have been an RA for three years and been active on the college radio station for 3 years as well.

Where & for what do you think people would want to snag a great find like me? I've also been looking into law enforcement lately as I think investigation would be right up my alley.

are you limited by geography?

Not particularly, why do you ask?

helps joe and others to know where we can search for job postings. if you aren't limited by geography it widens the search by a lot.

are you certified with anything? what exactly kind of technical experience do you have? sound boards? lighting? etc.?

I have experience (I don't know about official certification) in:
    Radio sound boards
    Theater sound boards
    Production management

And hope to have experience by the time I graduate with:
    Lighting equipment
    Stage shop equipment
    Field film production equipment

When do you graduate and around where do you go to school? Would it be possible to still get an internship?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Phonehand wrote: »
    is it because they both have m's
    that is a very bad pun

it's because i'm great

also because I can't get a job

The irony here is that all over the place here I keep seeing help wanted signs.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    i have an interview for tea selling job! not sure of the exact date yet, but this is rad.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i have an interview for tea selling job! not sure of the exact date yet, but this is rad.

tea selling as in salesman or as in clerk?

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Is it a shop that just sells tea? Will you get to give sage advice to strangers?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've about given up on this zoo. :( I called the HR and they were not helpful because they are not allowed to say 'no you did not get the position'. All they can say is they will contact you after contacting references. But it's been three weeks since I've interviewed and over a week since they called my last reference, so...I have few choices but to be patient and wait some more, or back to the hunt.

I know I don't wanna stay at this place of employment but I don't know where to go!

Are they supposed to contact you either way?

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Door to door tea salesman.

"Hello madam might I interest you in my teabag?"

Bucketman on
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So you took that AmWay advice then, huh?

Edit: Wow I was way too slow.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    is it because they both have m's
    that is a very bad pun

it's because i'm great

also because I can't get a job

The irony here is that all over the place here I keep seeing help wanted signs.

trust me, buddy, I'd rather be unemployed in seattle than employed in indiana

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JoeUser wrote: »

Is it a shop that just sells tea? Will you get to give sage advice to strangers?

this right here

hilarious

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ouch. Well at least up back here in the North West of Indiana its a lot better then central/south.

Though I think after I finish up school I'm going to spend some time as a traveling nurse. Moving from hospital to hospital until I find an area I want to settle down at.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've about given up on this zoo. :( I called the HR and they were not helpful because they are not allowed to say 'no you did not get the position'. All they can say is they will contact you after contacting references. But it's been three weeks since I've interviewed and over a week since they called my last reference, so...I have few choices but to be patient and wait some more, or back to the hunt.

I know I don't wanna stay at this place of employment but I don't know where to go!

No they will only contact me if I get it. I'm thinking they would have contacted me by now if that was the case.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I could use some tea.

vermiculture on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

No they will only contact me if I get it. I'm thinking they would have contacted me by now if that was the case.

Don't give up yet!

4400635798ede3e86ec0523.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You should raid the zoo and set all the giraffes FREEEE.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    cogs, how much you got saved up and where are you? you may be able to stretch it farther than you think, depending

My boyfriend and I both have about 3000 when all is said and done. It's enough to get into an apartment easily (found a really nice place for $575) but that requires a deposit. The hotel we're staying at has a kitchen and stuff for $699 a month - that includes ALL of the bills (even free internets) so it seems to be the best place for now. We're probably going to get some temp work until I test for the other service. Right now we're in Spring, which is in North Houston. He and I want to get a house in Conroe or north of Spring.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Umaro wrote: »
    You should raid the zoo and set all the giraffes FREEEE.

Did you know the zoo I currently volunteer at, some exhibits collapsed due to the snow? It was the bird house and many, many birds left.

The weird part is almost every single animal came back to their mate or came back when it was feeding time the next day. Now all the animals are back, and the keepers didn't really have to do much to coax them back.
    Here is a picture not related to birds or jobs:

Picture1.png

edit: I didn't even plan for a red panda to be totp but sometimes YOU GET LUCKY ON THE INTERWEB

vermiculture on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So this is kinda job related:

I'm out 1,200 bucks because of insurance mix up.

I have dental insurance through my company and Chelsea has coverage as my "domestic partner". She needed to go get a cleaning and exam. No problem. Calls up the dentist, yep they take the insurance. Makes the appointment and all is well. Goes, turns in the card and yep...they take it.

She has a few cavities, makes another appointment to get them filled and yep. No problem. They take the card.

Fast forward to now...the dentist hasn't been paid and is coming after us, insurance is saying that we went to an out of network dentist and oh hey..here's the bill.

I paid off the first half of the bill, but I honesty think I'm about to call back and lose my mind with the dentist office. I mean...they said they took the insurance. Is that not bait and switch? Cause seriously...1,200? Yea...I may be backing out of PAX and the beer gathering.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I woke up this morning with three new freelance inquiries in my inbox, one of whom was referred from some offshoot PA forum

whoever referred me -- thanks!

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cause seriously...1,200? Yea...I may be backing out of PAX and the beer gathering.

That insurance is some bullshit and I will fight tooth and nail for you to not back out of these things

vermiculture on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    So this is kinda job related:

I'm out 1,200 bucks because of insurance mix up.

I have dental insurance through my company and Chelsea has coverage as my "domestic partner". She needed to go get a cleaning and exam. No problem. Calls up the dentist, yep they take the insurance. Makes the appointment and all is well. Goes, turns in the card and yep...they take it.

She has a few cavities, makes another appointment to get them filled and yep. No problem. They take the card.

Fast forward to now...the dentist hasn't been paid and is coming after us, insurance is saying that we went to an out of network dentist and oh hey..here's the bill.

I paid off the first half of the bill, but I honesty think I'm about to call back and lose my mind with the dentist office. I mean...they said they took the insurance. Is that not bait and switch? Cause seriously...1,200? Yea...I may be backing out of PAX and the beer gathering.

dude, yeah, call their asses up. it's the dentist's office fault for saying they are a part of that insurance when they weren't

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    CatnipCat wrote: »
    This is a bad time to be graduating with an architectural degree.

Is working the streets and hookin' better than being jobless Y/N?

I have a friend in this very position. Was working in a small office after graduating and got laid off. Been unemployed for a year now. And there is not much else an architecture degree lends itself too.

Worst part is, he is in metro detroit area where nothing is being built. Tried for a couple city jobs in detroit, but that is all kinds of politics to get in.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.