As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reccomend me a Router and firmware

GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
Hey all, my brother and I are in the market for a new router after discovering our current POS WTG624 doesn't do DHCP correctly (so we can't play together in some online games). Started doing some looking around and we've got some things we're considering, but also some questions.

We're considering buying a Linksys WRT54GL, Linksys brand seems generally recommended as well as this particular model as a cost effective unit. These are good, yes?

I also keep hearing about DD-WRT, which is apparently custom router firmware? I'm seen several glowing comments on it, including in this forum, however I do have a couple questions. My brother and I aren't terribly savvy when it comes to computer networking, is this thing hard to install and/or will it make configuring the network a pain in the ass?

Also, I've seen mentions of "Tomato" which, from context, I am assuming is another kind of router firmware? Can anyone tell me about it? I know I could google it, and I will, but I like having people tell me their views and opinions on this kind of stuff.

Basically we're just looking for something that will work as easily and painlessly as possible and let us play BF:BC2 and some other games together. Thanks for reading and helping.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
GalagaGalaxian on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you want easy and painless, don't install a custom firmware. Which is not to say they're difficult, but that for your purposes you won't need one.
    What exactly is it screwing up with the DHCP? Is it not putting you guys in the same subnet or something? And yes, that Linksys brand is a solid workhorse.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To be honest, I'm not really sure on the exact specifics. All I know is our router sucks and drops connection all the time (and not just the wireless, my brother and I use the landlines for gaming). While trying to figure out the problem I found some stuff about WTG624s having lots of DHCP problems and that is the final straw combined with our frustration with it in general.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I suggest a WRT54GL with DD-WRT.

Fake-edit: Well, I didn't read any of the OP, but you chose a solid pair there. DD-wrt might be overkill, but it is stable - often moreso than the standard.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with Tomato. It'll work on the WRT54GL if you decide to get that.

Tomato is nice. It doesn't expose as many features as DD-WRT to the user, but it'll cover practically every need unless you're doing something "strange" (like running a WiFi hotspot for a coffee shop and need to restrict access to customers via some "ticket" system). Configuration is straightforward, the interface is clean and simple, and it uses Javascript quite a bit to minimize page loads and the like when configuring it. It's been very stable for me over the past two and a half years.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like the ASUS WL-520GU. Supports DD-WRT, Tomato, etc. It's similar to the WRT54GL except it has a USB port for whatever you want (printers, NAS, whatever). It's also probably cheaper than the WRT54GL too.

Skye on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I use a WRT54GL and have Tomato loaded on it. Runs beautifully, even cleared up some connection issues my PS3 was having.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png