As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting back into DnD. Possible to play online?

BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Critical Failures
I was big into DnD as a teenager but, do to a lack of reliable DnD buddies, I lost interest. A year or so ago I got the itch to start playing again, so I went ahead and bought the 4e set of books. The only problem being no one to play with again.

So I got the idea of playing online. I remember back in high school there was this awesome table top gaming website (can't remember the name for the life of me) that had a pretty neat java program that allowed a table top experience online. It basically had a chat interface with a map window. The DM could create an entire adventure with custom tile sets, and the players could move their characters minis around. You could roll dice for everyone to see or the DM could hide the rolls. You could modify your character sheet in real time etc. It was pretty awesome.

So my question is. Is there anything out there like this anymore? I can only imagine the possibilites of something like this combined with ventrilo. I've done some looking but can't seem to find anything except DnD online the mmo. :(

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
Bhaalen on

• Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm 90% sure the program you're talking about is OpenRPG.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sevorak wrote: »
    I'm 90% sure the program you're talking about is OpenRPG.

OMG I love you man. That's definitely it. I'm checking it out now.

Bhaalen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well it appears basically the same. Honestly I'm a little dissapointed. Seems like the openrpg community despises 4e as well. It's like some kind of Internet time capsule over there.

Bhaalen on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One thing you might try out is MapTool. It's a pretty solid program that does pretty much anything (and then some).

As for looking for 4e games, poking around the 4e discussion thread might not be a bad idea.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One thing you might try out is MapTool. It's a pretty solid program that does pretty much anything (and then some).

As for looking for 4e games, poking around the 4e discussion thread might not be a bad idea.

And/or just hanging around in Critical Failures and look for a thread that has [43 recruitment] or some-such tag on it. Games start up from time to time and most DMs just ask people to submit a character and then they choose from all the submissions they receive.

Delmain on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Thank you so much. MapTool is exactly what I was hoping OpenRPG had become. I'm going to poor over these 4e books I never actually read, and most likely DM my own game using MapTool, and Ventrilo.

Bhaalen on