As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fold On] The Papercraft thread, Reborn <NSF56K>

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Yes boys and girls, it's time for the fabulous papercraft thread to return, after a long hiatus!

You may be asking, what the hell is papercraft? Papercraft is the art of taking paper printouts, scissors, and glue, and making your own models of various things, including many video game characters and objects. Why pay monies for action figures when you can make them yourself!

For example, this papercraft has 1 Solid Snakes in it, can you see them?
snakebox.jpg

And here are some Nintendo characters, and more. You can play Paper Mario for reals!
(Full List of Nintendo Papercraft)

mini-mario64.gifmini-kuribo.gifmini-teresa.gif
Mario, Part 1 Goomba Boo
Mario, Part 2

i_sonic.gif
Sonic

Link.png
Four Swords Link

Not enough Zelda for you?
zeldapic.jpgkingpic.jpgwolflinkpic.jpgmajorasmaskpic.jpglinkpic.jpg
Try these on for size.

Prince.pngAW.png
Prince of All Cosmos Advance wars and more (note: hand drawn)

Vivi!
vivi_image.jpg
Upon further inspection, this guy has a TON of cool stuff. Check out his site.

M41-APulserifle.png
Aliens Papercraft, for when it's Game Over, man.

Erick's Models - Homeworld ships. This is where I got the sheet for this Kushan Mothership.
papership2.gif
Awesome site, even includes instructions on how to make your own by extracting models from the game.

I tracked down an EVA-01 papercraft. <clicky>
69-untitled.jpg

Piro Model.com - Mostly Star Wars characters and busts. Has the most adorable papercraft lego stormtroopers.
There's some tiny, cute gundams in there too.

Yamaha's Papercraft Site - Contains, obviously, papercraft of Yamaha motorcycles,
but also has many good animal and seasonal papercrafts.

Canon Papercraft Site - An assorted collection of animals, vehicles, buildings, and some 'lucky' items.
(Those cat things you see in asian resturaunts, etc...)

Oh yeah... and we found this last year, some of us made it. Rumor has it the Prime Minister of Muddbuddistan still holds the secret blueprints for its construction, secretly scanned into digitial form by Muddbuddian spies. It is also for sale on the internets. (This version is very nice)

Click for more images.
howl2.jpg

I'll be adding more cool stuff as I find it. Now go my minions! Fly out, find more patterns, make more papercrafts, post the pictures of stuff you've made!!!!

Seriously, I want pics of anything you guys build.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• Options
    edited April 2007
    TIPS:
    You'll need some tools to build your model.

tools.gif

Paper: It's recommended to use thicker paper for most papercraft projects. It's stiffer, stronger, and holds up better. For larger projects, you will probably want to use cardstock, which is almost cardboard. A trip to any decent office supply store will provide you with ample selection. I personally use some 28lb paper for normal projects, and 67lb cover-stock for larger things like the mothership above.

Cutting: Scissors for the large stuff, but if you have something with a lot of detail you will want an x-acto. You can find bundles of x-acto's and self-healing cutting mats at good art supply stores. I'll put a picture up of mine later.

Folding: Many people find it useful to use an empty bic or other tool to score their folds a bit before they actually fold them. I use a pair of tweezers (not the pointy kind) to fold most of my tabs. I also have a pair of FLAT needle-nose pliers (no textured, grippy surface on the inside)

Glue: Elmer's White glue. Apply it with a toothpick, a piece of paper, whatever. don't put it on too thick or it will leak out and you will need to wipe away the extra. I use an old sculpting tool to apply glue. Tape can also be used if it won't show and you need extra support on the inside. I find glue sticks to be fairly useless/not strong enough. Superglue can be used in a pinch for stuff that won't stay, but it has a tendancy to soak through the paper and it looks bad.

Some files may come in PDO format instead of an image or PDF. You will need Pepakura Viewer for those.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Link Dump
    This is where I will put more stuff that I or other people find.

Two Starcraft Models
    Weird-ass anime characters and a Famicom console
    3Dpapermodel.com - MASSIVE papercraft site. Everything imaginable.
    Optical Illusions - Look near the bottom of the page.
    Paper Aviation - A few Star Wars and Star Trek spaceships.
    Papergrade by Zen - A few star wars things.
    Tiberium Shuttle from Star Wars
    Spacestation42 - A random assortment of everything. Has a few game consoles.
    SF papercraft gallery - Various science fiction stuff.
    TARDIS Page 1 TARDIS Page 2
    Chao from Sonic Adventure

EVE Online ships
    Apocalypse
    Heron
    Rifter
    Partial Rifter Instructions

Transforming Optimus Prime!

ED-209, in four awesome flavors: Normal, battle damaged, urban camo, and white
    Here is Puma from Gitaroo-Man
    Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth, and Maya Fey.
    The Assegai, Feisar, and Icaras shipracerthings from Wipeout
    Red Nocturne, Blue Rhapsody, Yellow Opera, and Green Requiem from Kingdom Hearts
    Headcrabs and Gordon's suit from Half-Life 1 and 2

A siege tank from Starcraft. It actually transforms!

In time for the Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, here's the Wicked Wench (the original name of the Black Pearl)
    wickedwenchpapercraft.jpg
    You can find more Disney Papercrafts here at The Disney Experience. You can also order them as nice kits from their site, instead of printing them out, if you prefer.

The Lineage 2 Knight
    knight.gif

The bike from Akira
    akirabike.jpg

quake.jpg
    Human
    Shambler

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is insanely cool! I am going to have to try some of this stuff.

Fuck, is there a version of that Vivi with his clothing pre-colored? I doubt I have the skills to color him properly.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    You guys know if theres any papercraft instructions for buildings from command and conquer or some shit like that

Obs on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I remember in a past thread, we had some F-Zero racers and even an Arwing. Can we get those back up again?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Im wondering about maybe blending this papercraft with some of the terrain maker techniques from 40k and such. Use that plasticboard stuff, like from for sale signs, as backing for the paper then gluing it all together, it would make the models alot stronger than just heavy paper.

I think im gonna try with some small Homeworld ships. Ill post results when im done!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh god, I was going to make this thread (but with not nearly as good an op, awesome Mudd). I fucking love papercraft. My papercraft folder is...shit. Up to 1.50 gigs. I'll see if I can get some pictures of what I have, and toss up a few papercrafts for download. I have Phoenix Wright ones. :D One of the best papercraft sources I know of is, of course, unlinkable, as it's on the 4chan boards.

Here's the only picture I have of something I've made: a mech from Front Mission 4 with a boxkitty on his shoulder.
    robotlovesboxkitty4fzyd7.jpg

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Jensen wrote: »
    This is insanely cool! I am going to have to try some of this stuff.

Fuck, is there a version of that Vivi with his clothing pre-colored? I doubt I have the skills to color him properly.

I thought he was... damn that sucks.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I once saw some papercraft patterns for a couple of Eve Online ships (a Rifter and something else). They looked totally badass and I'm sad I didn't save them.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where's the link to the Snake Papercraft? I must know!

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    Where's the link to the Snake Papercraft? I must know!

Click the image. It's a link to a .rar of the files.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    harvest wrote: »
    I once saw some papercraft patterns for a couple of Eve Online ships (a Rifter and something else). They looked totally badass and I'm sad I didn't save them.

Oh yeah. I forgot to save those too.

I tracked them down though! He's got a third one now too.
    APOC_01.JPG

Apocalypse
    Heron
    Rifter
    Partial Rifter Instructions

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks Muddbudd, didn't think of clicking the image in my desire for Snake.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks Muddbudd, didn't think of clicking the image in my desire for Snake.

Yeah but that's really the only one I did that for... everything else has visible links. Doesn't make much sense now that I think about it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nice, maybe I'll try a simple one once I get some freetime. The one of the Homework mothership looks fantastic, it looks really hard to make, though. o.o

Muddbudd, could you please add a NSF56K to the title?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Aldo wrote: »
    Nice, maybe I'll try a simple one once I get some freetime. The one of the Homework mothership looks fantastic, it looks really hard to make, though. o.o

Muddbudd, could you please add a NSF56K to the title?

Yeah it took a while. It's kind of tricky but there are instructions to help.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh dear, I'm a walking disaster when it comes to glue. :P

Also: :^: to the thread title.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    With that Sonic papercraft zip you provided, the last page is only half there, the other half is just gray.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh, they look so good, I'm gonna try some of them when I've got time.

A question though, do they last long? They seem quite fragile. And what do you use to colour them (case in point, Vivi), markers or colour pencils?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Never come across this - Colour me impressed...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    OMG! Look what I just found!

TRANSFORMING papercraft. They have a transforming prime built with rubberbands in there to allow him to actually transform. Wow.

http://www.paperrobots1999.com/home.html

Smudge on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    If anyone finds a good ED-209 (Robobcop) or Sidewinder/Sunstreaker (Transformers), please let me know.

Smudge on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Smudge wrote: »
    If anyone finds a good ED-209 (Robobcop) or Sidewinder/Sunstreaker (Transformers), please let me know.

ED-209, in four awesome flavors: Normal, battle damaged, urban camo, and white: http://rapidshare.com/files/26334941/Ed-209.rar.html

And some more papercrafts like I said I'd post.

Here is Puma from Gitaroo-Man: http://rapidshare.com/files/26332510/puma.pdf.html

Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth, and Maya Fey. Each have a few faces, including one somewhat modified stern face for Edgeworth by me (which I have not built yet so I don't know if it looks good when built): http://rapidshare.com/files/26333931/Phoenix_friends.rar.html

The Assegai, Feisar, and Icaras shipracerthings from Wipeout: http://rapidshare.com/files/26334494/Wipeout.rar.html

Red Nocturne, Blue Rhapsody, Yellow Opera, and Green Requiem from Kingdom Hearts: http://rapidshare.com/files/26334469/khmages.rar.html

Headcrabs and Gordon's suit from Half-Life 1 and 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/26335311/halflife.rar.html

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Long overdue.

<3 this thread. I tried making the FM4 one above a few months ago, but didn't get very far.

I'll probably go for one of the Homeworld ships, actually.

Edit: Balls. Paper Starships seems to be dead.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yay!

I made Four Swords Link the last time one of these threads was up. My first ever experience in papercraftery and it turned out pretty good. I might take teh pikchures of it later.

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Also, has anyone seen any 40K papercraft? That would rock so hard.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oooh, yeah. I would be all over a nice papercraft dreadnaught. Larger than the normal mini scale would be great, like maybe 6 inches or so. Probably pretty easy too, lots of squared edges.

Or the chaos dreadnaught thing with the four legs. That would be awesome too.

Smudge on
  • Options
    NswyersNswyers Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I once had a program that would take 3d model files and turn it into a papercraft printable template. I tried it out with a few models and it seemed to be fine for what it was worth.. which was free.

It's problem was that it couldn't accurately reduce the number of polygons enough to make a good papercraft template... sometimes it would try to make a peice with 100s of folds in a 1inch section.

Nswyers on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Smudge wrote: »

ED-209, in four awesome flavors: Normal, battle damaged, urban camo, and white: http://rapidshare.com/files/26334941/Ed-209.rar.html

And some more papercrafts like I said I'd post.

Here is Puma from Gitaroo-Man: http://rapidshare.com/files/26332510/puma.pdf.html

Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth, and Maya Fey. Each have a few faces, including one somewhat modified stern face for Edgeworth by me (which I have not built yet so I don't know if it looks good when built): http://rapidshare.com/files/26333931/Phoenix_friends.rar.html

The Assegai, Feisar, and Icaras shipracerthings from Wipeout: http://rapidshare.com/files/26334494/Wipeout.rar.html

Red Nocturne, Blue Rhapsody, Yellow Opera, and Green Requiem from Kingdom Hearts: http://rapidshare.com/files/26334469/khmages.rar.html

Headcrabs and Gordon's suit from Half-Life 1 and 2: http://rapidshare.com/files/26335311/halflife.rar.html

I won't be bottompage'd!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    With that Sonic papercraft zip you provided, the last page is only half there, the other half is just gray.

Fixed.
    I'll probably go for one of the Homeworld ships, actually.

Edit: Balls. Paper Starships seems to be dead.

Crap they are. Luckily, Erick's Models still has a ton of them.

New links are now added to link dump. Thanks guys!

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    A siege tank from Starcraft. It actually transforms!

http://rapidshare.com/files/26389433/seige_tank.pdf.html

(not my pictures)
    sctank2pq2.th.jpg

sctank5ih1.th.jpg

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I must have that tank right the hell now. Wow.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ok this stuff is like.. robot cool.

I just spent the last hour looking all this paper craft people have made. So cool!

And it gave me a wicked idea. I was thinking how much this was like making things in 3d and it gave me an idea for a project. What ever it will involve, I will unwrap all of my objects and then print out the UVW's and then use all sorts of mediums to paint the textures and then scan them back in.

It be cool.. maybe ill go the whole 9 yards and do my own painted bump, specular ect maps

Now what to use for subject matter...

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm interested in doing this. Aside from the things you said we needed, how do we get the image we want to make said papercraft? Above someone said they had a program, but it didn't do so well.... is there a, I guess, standard program used?

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mr.Brick wrote: »
    Ok this stuff is like.. robot cool.

I just spent the last hour looking all this paper craft people have made. So cool!

And it gave me a wicked idea. I was thinking how much this was like making things in 3d and it gave me an idea for a project. What ever it will involve, I will unwrap all of my objects and then print out the UVW's and then use all sorts of mediums to paint the textures and then scan them back in.

It be cool.. maybe ill go the whole 9 yards and do my own painted bump, specular ect maps

Now what to use for subject matter...

There is a program called Pepakura that takes models and extracts them automatically, adds tabs and everything.

The catch is to use simpler models because really detailed ones can get insane. Someone tried to make a murloc last thread and it ended up having too many small parts.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ReaverbotReaverbot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I made these two about a year ago
    kirbyshyguy.jpg

The Shyguy was my second attempt and Kirby was my third. Obviously I lacked the skill for this sort of thing and cheated with tape when the glue wouldn't stick. Shyguy was put to together with a Glue Stick but since that seemed completey inadequate I managed to find liquid glue and it worked much better for Kirby.

Reaverbot on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Looks better than my early stuff.

Link Dump updated.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dammit.

I had .pdfs of a wanzer from Front Mission 5 on my HD but I deleted them...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    paper360hddvdetc3.jpg

So, this mini papercraft XBox 360 seems pretty sweet and easy to make, but it looks like the guy took the pdf file down. Does anyone know where another copy might be?

Taximes on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man oh man .... and I just got a new color laser printer at home ...

mausmalone on
    266.jpg