As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Specialty Diets in Boston

lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in PAX Archive
Hey everyone!
I know that there is a very fine Restaurant and Dining thread elsewhere, but it barely scratched the surface on a topic near to my heart. Just below it, in fact. In my stomach.
I, like many others, am on a gluten free diet (or nearly so), which significantly limits what I can & can't eat. Being a veteran of PAX Prime, I know a few good places in Seattle, but this will be my first time in Boston, and I realize that I'm not the only one!
What I am asking for is a community list of places to eat that cater to specialty diets. Allergy sensitive places, if you will.

What would be most helpful is a common format for the posts. I would suggest

Name: Restaurant's name
Cuisine: Italian, Pizza, Chinese, sandwich
Dietary Specialties: Gluten Free, Shellfish free, Nut free, Organic, Vegan, etc.
Address: Where we can find it!
Cost: $, $$, $$$
Notes: Any personal stories about the place.

I, and many others, would greatly appreciate the help!

-LT the BP
PASig.gif
lordthanda on

• lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Name: The Other Side Cafe
    Cuisine: mixed bag.
    Dietary Specialties: gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, raw.
    Address: 407 Newbury St. (about 3 blocks from Hynes Con Center). theothersidecafe.com
    Cost: $$
    Notes: food is generally good, the place is open fairly late, and they make a mean sangria.

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
  • yanksrul5yanksrul5 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    lordthanda wrote: »
    Hey everyone!
    I know that there is a very fine Restaurant and Dining thread elsewhere, but it barely scratched the surface on a topic near to my heart. Just below it, in fact. In my stomach.
    I, like many others, am on a gluten free diet (or nearly so), which significantly limits what I can & can't eat. Being a veteran of PAX Prime, I know a few good places in Seattle, but this will be my first time in Boston, and I realize that I'm not the only one!
    What I am asking for is a community list of places to eat that cater to specialty diets. Allergy sensitive places, if you will.

What would be most helpful is a common format for the posts. I would suggest

Name: Restaurant's name
    Cuisine: Italian, Pizza, Chinese, sandwich
    Dietary Specialties: Gluten Free, Shellfish free, Nut free, Organic, Vegan, etc.
    Address: Where we can find it!
    Cost: $, $$, $$$
    Notes: Any personal stories about the place.

I, and many others, would greatly appreciate the help!

I don't know where the Uno Chicago Grill is in Boston but they have a gluten free menu, including gluten free pizza. They also have a handful of other things they can make gluten free without worry.

yanksrul5 on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yelp is king.

Vegetarian

Vegan

Gluten Free

Kosher

You'll also notice that at the bottom of those pages you'll see related lists created by users that have places that may not be in the search results too.

VisionOfClarity on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Yelp Gluten-Free tag is kind of lame, I did a search and it yielded a lot more fuel - Gluten Free

Places that are GF that I can recommend as having good food -

Nebo – Italian, North End
    Zing Pizza – Porter
    Stone Hearth – between Harvard and Porter
    Myers & Chang - South end, modern chinese/fusion

Also - Bertucci’s and Maggiano have a GF menu, but I don't have feedback on how good it is.

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited March 2010
    For the Gluten-Free you can scroll down and check out people's lists of gluten-free favourites.

VisionOfClarity on
  • o the afermatho the afermath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know how you feel :(

o the afermath on
  • FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You guys may be happy to know that my wife is making a bunch of gluten-free cookies to be distributed in ninja fashion by the cookie brigade!

Facelesscog on
  • VballChickVballChick Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    thanks! I just recently stopped eating meat this is very helpful!

VballChick on
    -VballChick PMS-
    www.pmsclan.com
  • AereusAereus CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You guys may be happy to know that my wife is making a bunch of gluten-free cookies to be distributed in ninja fashion by the cookie brigade!

I'll be on the lookout for this. Thank you! :mrgreen:

I'm gluten free, my traveling partner is vegan, and this is our first time in Boston!

Aereus on
    Twitter is serious business.
  • RachiekinRachiekin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I need to be on a gluten free diet too and am excited to try out Legal Seafoods. They have a gluten free menu which has a baked stuffed lobster using gluten free bread crumbs! It's been so long since I had stuffed lobster.

There is a Legal Seafoods restaurant right in the Prudential Center mall which I believe is connected to the convention center.

Another restaurant that has a gluten free menu is P.F. Chang's China Bistro. This one is also in the Prudential center. I've eaten here before and it's good.

I'm also interested in trying the Elephant Walk and Burton's Grill but those aren't as close.

Rachiekin on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rachiekin wrote: »
    I need to be on a gluten free diet too and am excited to try out Legal Seafoods. They have a gluten free menu which has a baked stuffed lobster using gluten free bread crumbs! It's been so long since I had stuffed lobster.

There is a Legal Seafoods restaurant right in the Prudential Center mall which I believe is connected to the convention center.

Another restaurant that has a gluten free menu is P.F. Chang's China Bistro. This one is also in the Prudential center. I've eaten here before and it's good.

I'm also interested in trying the Elephant Walk and Burton's Grill but those aren't as close.

If you want chinese and gluten-free I'd really suggest Myers & Chang. It's much better food than P.F. Changs, plus gluten-free dimsum :D

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's Lent and it will be Friday.

So I guess it's seafood and vegetables for me all Friday.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • astillacastillac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to throw in the fact that I eat gluten-free as well. I'm going to work on compiling a list of gluten-free friendly places while I'm there.

astillac on
  • ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To start, my girlfriend is Gluten Free, and we were on here hoping that we could find some information on dining gf while we were in town. We're locals, but we don't get to eat out that often!

So thanks everyone for a great list - but there's a few we'd like to recommend too!

PF Chang's is a godsend. It's nice, sort of ritzy food with an entire portion of the menu dedicated to gf. We were introduced to this while we were in Indy, and their staff has been great at making sure that everything we got was as it should be. The last time we were there, the waiter was over at our table checking on us every ten minutes or so.

The best part is, they just revamped their GF menu! You can read it here; just click on the gluten free section.

There's also Wagamama if you're sick of eating PF Chang's. Haven't eaten there, but their menu looks pretty good.

We also recently discovered that Joe's American Bar & Grill is supposedly also gf, but we haven't been able to go there and test it yet. However, my girlfriend called and spoke to a manager, and interrogated her about their gf practices, and she said that they will go above and beyond to make sure that your food is not contaminated. They are well aware of contamination issues such as using the same cookware, cooking surfaces, hand-washing, etc, etc.

If you have a car and don't mind traveling out of town some, we cannot recommend British Beer Company any harder than I already am. They have a huge gf menu along with gf beer!. It was the first place my girlfriend discovered gluten free beer.

Then there's always our standbys whenever we eat out. Places like Wendy's, which has baked potatoes and salads that are gf, Chik-Fil-A whose potato fries (the fries are fried in separate friers), salads, fruit, coleslaw are all gf, Dunkin' Donuts has massively tasty and gf drinks (but not the food!), and don't forget that at Chipotle, you can get a burrito bowl! You can also go to Panera Bread, but be sure that if you order something, that you are very clear on your dietary requirements! They're generally pretty good, but sometimes need to be walked through things.

It was awesome finding a gf topic on here guys! Thanks a whole lot! Hope our suggestions help as well :)

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    how bout them vegan breakfast joints? eh? eh? I don't want to eat bagels every day.

Drakmathus on
  • philbertdephilbertde Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's New England; eating breakfast anywhere other than Dunkin Donuts is heavily frowned upon. Those who can't eat at DD are expected to go without :-D

Also, if anyone just wants to have food for their bag/hotel room/packed lunch, there's a Trader Joes at 899 Boylston Street and a Whole Foods at 15 Westland Ave that's a few blocks from the convention center. There's also a big non-specialty Shaw's supermarket right at the Prudential Center.

philbertde on
    edited March 2010
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    how bout them vegan breakfast joints? eh? eh? I don't want to eat bagels every day.

Have you been to Otherside Cafe yet? If not, you'll love it.

VisionOfClarity on
  • the_stamythe_stamy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drakmathus wrote: »

Not sure if it counts as breakfast, but Tealuxe on Newbury has vegan cookies... :lol:

the_stamy on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I remember seeing some gluten free soups and rice bowls at Au Bon Pain, and I think there's a couple of those right next to the convention center.

Also, a bit further of a hike from the convention are a few UFood Grill restaurants, sort of like fast food health food. Lot's of gluten free options on their menu, but they have a disclaimer that the cooking environment isn't gluten-free.

wonderpug on
    edited March 2010
    I'll probably go to the otherside cafe but it doesn't open until 10am. I am a morning person, I'm talking 7 to 8 here.

Drakmathus on
  • ravensmuseravensmuse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Uh, be very clear that you are GLUTEN FREE at Otherside. We went there for dinner last night and my girlfriend got a tuna salad with a honking big piece of bread on top of it. They were cool about going back and remaking it, but still.

Plus the help was a little...forgettable.

ravensmuse on
    READ MY BLOG - Web Serial Fantasy - Tabletop Gaming Snips & Reviews - Flea Market Hunting
    edited March 2010
    my old lady and I are going to the otherside cafe for brunch this morning at 10, followed by the USS Constitution. if anyone cares to join us for brunch (or both!) meet us in the sheraton lobby at about quarter till 10. We will try and sit at a table, we will both have chuck taylor's on and mine are VERY new and red.

Drakmathus on
This discussion has been closed.