As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Visions of the post-scarcity super-utopia

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So lately I've been thinking. What do we do with ourselves once we achieve a post-scarcity society?

It doesn't sit right with me for us just to exist because we can, at least not until we've improved the lot of everyone. Which got me thinking: surely the ultimate utopia needs to provide for not only those fortunate enough to live in it, but all those who suffered before to make it possible.

My proposal is thus that the ultimate utopia would be one where we use our technology to bring every human being that has ever lived back to life as well. We must build our own afterlife.

Obviously this depends on technology and physics we don't have in order to accomplish it. But to me it seems like a moral imperative of a post-scarcity society for us to establish conclusively whether or not it can be done. Even then - it would be a huge undertaking - dealing with the mental health and specific requirements of so many billions of people. But to me, it seems like we would have a moral imperative - if it could be done - to do such a thing.

electricitylikesme on

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm curious, actually, as to the assumptions you have that make this idea even possible. Like, are you going off the assumption that there is an afterlife, and we'd be bringing the dead back here from it? Or that their consciousnesses are still floating around, waiting for us to invent the technology for them to come back?

I'm just really confused as to how that would work, even if we had real actual magic.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's a little bit inspired by the end of AI.

We develop some technology which lets us observe the past accurately, meaning we can take accurate readings of people's brains/bodies right up to the moment of death. With this information, we recreate them in the present.

There was also a movie from the 80's which had the same idea, only their they were kidnapping people who died in highly publicized ways and time-travelling them right as they were about to die.

electricitylikesme on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ah, ok. So it's like a going-forward thing, we wouldn't be able to just bring back Benjamin Franklin.

Edit: Also, I want to thank you for giving me a great idea for a short story... This technology is used secretly and people are brought back to life in simulated versions of whatever afterlife they believed they were destined for.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ah, ok. So it's like a going-forward thing, we wouldn't be able to just bring back Benjamin Franklin.

It's an idea which spiralled. I started thinking about doing it to people when we knew where and when they died - hence the best way to go for immortality being to die in a highly publicized way with exact GPS coordinates or something.

But then I got thinking that strictly speaking that wouldn't be a limitation depending how good your technology was and what the laws of physics let us do in terms of reverse-predicting the flow of time.

electricitylikesme on
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

We develop some technology which lets us observe the past accurately, meaning we can take accurate readings of people's brains/bodies right up to the moment of death. With this information, we recreate them in the present.

There was also a movie from the 80's which had the same idea, only their they were kidnapping people who died in highly publicized ways and time-travelling them right as they were about to die.

Shit, what was the name of that movie? It sounds really, really familiar and I cannot think of the title.

Clipse on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST REFERENCED FREEJACK

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I have nothing of value to contribute here. Carry on.

PS: That movie came out in '92.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you're not being ambitious enough

you must ensure that everyone human who might potentially live in the future can benefit from this utopia as well. every single possible viable combination of nucleotides must be accounted for!
    the number of combinations exceeds the number of particles in the universe or something ridiculous like that, though, so that's probably not possible

Evil Multifarious on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the number of combinations exceeds the number of particles in the universe or something ridiculous like that, though, so that's probably not possible

Quitter.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

There was an Orson Scott Card novel like this, where someone in the future was watching the past, and she decided that the past was just too horrible, so she went back in time in order to change the past and make the future much less horrible. She decided that the meeting between Columbus and the new world was where everything had gone downhill.

Pi-r8 on
    edited March 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I'm curious, actually, as to the assumptions you have that make this idea even possible. Like, are you going off the assumption that there is an afterlife, and we'd be bringing the dead back here from it? Or that their consciousnesses are still floating around, waiting for us to invent the technology for them to come back?

I'm just really confused as to how that would work, even if we had real actual magic.

I guess this gets into the old cloning/teleportation question- if you make a perfect duplicate of someone, with the exact same body, brain, and memories, is it really the same person? Or would the original person still be dead? Basically, do you believe that humans have a soul?

Pi-r8 on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So lately I've been thinking. What do we do with ourselves once we achieve a post-scarcity society?

It doesn't sit right with me for us just to exist because we can, at least not until we've improved the lot of everyone. Which got me thinking: surely the ultimate utopia needs to provide for not only those fortunate enough to live in it, but all those who suffered before to make it possible.

My proposal is thus that the ultimate utopia would be one where we use our technology to bring every human being that has ever lived back to life as well. We must build our own afterlife.

Obviously this depends on technology and physics we don't have in order to accomplish it. But to me it seems like a moral imperative of a post-scarcity society for us to establish conclusively whether or not it can be done. Even then - it would be a huge undertaking - dealing with the mental health and specific requirements of so many billions of people. But to me, it seems like we would have a moral imperative - if it could be done - to do such a thing.

You make me even more confident in the conclusion of the simulation argument.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    what I don't get about that problem is that greek dude's boat thingie

Theseus? Yeah, that guy. What's so special about uninterrupted existence when your consciousness is already interrupted to an extent by sleeping/getting knocked out/comas. My current thinking on it is that you're alive, then you die for however long it takes to get there, then you're alive again. The teleported/time travel recreated you is just as much 'you' as the you from 5/10/20 years/minutes/seconds ago is 'you'.

L|ama on
    edited March 2010
    L|ama wrote: »

Theseus? Yeah, that guy. What's so special about uninterrupted existence when your consciousness is already interrupted to an extent by sleeping/getting knocked out/comas. My current thinking on it is that you're alive, then you die for however long it takes to get there, then you're alive again. The teleported/time travel recreated you is just as much 'you' as the you from 5/10/20 years/minutes/seconds ago is 'you'.

if you take the position that humans have no soul, then I'd agree with this. But if you do have a soul, well, sleeping is a natural thing whereas teleportation really isn't.

Pi-r8 on
    edited March 2010
    ugh 'natural' has so many conflicting definitions that it doesn't really deserve to be used in remotely serious debate without being explicitly defined first.

But yeah, as much as I know my philosophical stance I'm a physicalist or something like that.

If it's a moral imperative to have everyone in a post-scarcity utopia and we are in a simulation, then the simulators are dicks. Problem of evil and all that.

L|ama on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010

Ah yes, Freejack. I have fond childhood memories of that movie.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2010
    ugh 'natural' has so many conflicting definitions that it doesn't really deserve to be used in remotely serious debate without being explicitly defined first.

But yeah, as much as I know my philosophical stance I'm a physicalist or something like that.

If it's a moral imperative to have everyone in a post-scarcity utopia and we are in a simulation, then the simulators are dicks. Problem of evil and all that.

Not really, if you control all the factors and you can add happiness later (as in an afterlife or something similar), it's pretty easy to justify short term suffering for long term gain.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

You are doing strange things with the word "consciousness"

Having consciousness in the sense that I think you want to use it isn't simply being awake.

Like, we become beings devoid of a consciousness when we fall asleep or are knocked out. I mean, where does it go? How do we get it back?

While there is a legit meaning of "conscious" as "being awake or aware" when you talk about "consciousness" generally something else is being referenced.

So transporting one's consciousness is not simply a matter of transferring a wakeful and alert state.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Our present technology has basically eliminated information scarcity, and rather than take advantage of this we've done everything in our power to try to go on pretending that we still print music on vinyl and employ monks to transcribe our books.

I'm not terribly optimistic that we will achieve utopia simply by virtue of eliminating materials and energy scarcity.

nescientist on
    edited March 2010

Having consciousness in the sense that I think you want to use it isn't simply being awake.

Like, we become beings devoid of a consciousness when we fall asleep or are knocked out. I mean, where does it go? How do we get it back?

While there is a legit meaning of "conscious" as "being awake or aware" when you talk about "consciousness" generally something else is being referenced.

So transporting one's consciousness is not simply a matter of transferring a wakeful and alert state.

That actually helps my stance of teleportation doing nothing special to consciousness, though.

And I would say that consciousness is purely a function of brain activity, although it's obviously difficult if not impossible to test that scientifically.

L|ama on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Our present technology has basically eliminated information scarcity, and rather than take advantage of this we've done everything in our power to try to go on pretending that we still print music on vinyl and employ monks to transcribe our books.

I'm not terribly optimistic that we will achieve utopia simply by virtue of eliminating materials and energy scarcity.
    Yeah. The biggest obstacle to any utopia is that power holders in the current society work against any change.

But I don't think cheating death is a desirable part of a utopia. A perfect society, to me, would make life as fulfilling and happy for everyone as possible, but wouldn't artificially prolong life far beyond our natural lifespans. Death is not a bad thing.

Kaputa on
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

That actually helps my stance of teleportation doing nothing special to consciousness, though.

And I would say that consciousness is purely a function of brain activity, although it's obviously difficult if not impossible to test that scientifically.

I had no intention of weighing in on what teleportation might "do" to one's consciousness. All I wanted to do was get your terminology sorted out.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited March 2010
    Kaputa wrote: »

Yeah. The biggest obstacle to any utopia is that power holders in the current society work against any change.

But I don't think cheating death is a desirable part of a utopia. A perfect society, to me, would make life as fulfilling and happy for everyone as possible, but wouldn't artificially prolong life far beyond our natural lifespans. Death is not a bad thing.

Again someone is using 'natural' ambiguously. What is our 'natural' lifespan? What it was in hunter-gatherer societies? Early agricultural ones? The working class during the industrial revolution?

'Natural lifespan' is a meaningless term, the only close to reasonable definition I can think of is 'how long you last without medical intervention' which is still pretty silly.

I had no intention of weighing in on what teleportation might "do" to one's consciousness. All I wanted to do was get your terminology sorted out.

Well I'm pretty sure this is the first time a philosophy-oriented person has corrected me in a conversation without having an ulterior motive.

L|ama on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is it really a utopia if people who don't want to be a part of it (because it clashes with their culture / religion) are made to be?

I envision cities in the sky, and those who want nothing to do with it can walk the earth, live their tribal lives out. After many generations, we will have civilized humans and feral humans. Civilized humans will occasionally send hunting parties down to the surface for exotic foods or resources, well armed to defend from attacks from their feral cousins. Among the land-walkers will be those who wanted some middleground, maintaining a society, fending off the feral and civilized, but occasionally trading with those who live among the clouds.

... <_<

Henroid on
    edited March 2010
    Kaputa wrote: »

I think you're way too romantic and if we ever met we'd probably have to fight to the death.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    man, did none of you read The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect?

eternal life ain't cool beans AT ALL

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are severe constraints on the human body regarding age. Fixing this seems to me much harder (and if it can be done, much more costly and invasive) then achieving energy abundance, though a hard road lies ahead there as well. All forms of proposed energy I know of are limited in some way, including fusion, for which we don't have that much fuel on the planet. Add to that the impending metal scarcity (Dozens of metals will be nearly running out somewhere near 2050), and all of this seems quite far away.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It is my hope that by 2150 we could be mining asteroids.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, regarding fusion all the estimates I see talk about using fuel x and it lasting y years in theory, but it's pretty obvious that the more power we have available the more people are going to use. Having a gigantic excess of power just means we'll be lazier and more wasteful with our usage.

L|ama on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When we get post scarcity, we'll do dwarf fortress style crazy mega projects just because.

If any individual human has nearly limitless power, the cosmos will be filled with planet sized wangs

override367 on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I typed 2150 when I meant 2050. Much shorter timescale unfortunately. (I'll edit my post)

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So you want to construct a utopia of infinite technological power, and use it to resurrect Hitler?!

Good to know where you stand philosophically.
    :P

:lol:

Al_wat on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think the perfect utopia would have their work cut out for them in ensuring that the future keeps looking bright: they'd have the heat death of the universe to worry about.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SanderJK wrote: »
    There are severe constraints on the human body regarding age. Fixing this seems to me much harder (and if it can be done, much more costly and invasive) then achieving energy abundance, though a hard road lies ahead there as well. All forms of proposed energy I know of are limited in some way, including fusion, for which we don't have that much fuel on the planet. Add to that the impending metal scarcity (Dozens of metals will be nearly running out somewhere near 2050), and all of this seems quite far away.

Don't we have a fuckton of fusion fuel on the Moon though?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited March 2010
    .01 parts per million in the regolith (surface rock). There's a bunch there, but it's difficult to get a reasonable amount out.

L|ama on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Don't we have a fuckton of fusion fuel on the Moon though?

In looking this up, I discovered the best-named wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_law

Anyway: not really. There's hydrogen on the moon (what with all that water), but we've kind of got a lot of that already. Lithium is what we'd be short on (maybe... there are other means of fusion, but lithium+tritium is the most promising)

[edit] Where'd you get that number from, L|ama? I did find [a href=http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1971LPSC....2.1217C]this[/a], which actually gives around 6.6 ppm for moon rocks and 18 ppm for moon soil, for lithium. However, I don't think that there's any particular advantage to going all the way to the fucking moon for some goddamned rocks.

Garthor on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    man, did none of you read The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect?

eternal life ain't cool beans AT ALL

Like anyone knows from experience!

Henroid on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST REFERENCED FREEJACK

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. I have nothing of value to contribute here. Carry on.

PS: That movie came out in '92.

He meant Millennium (1989). Or he should have meant Millennium, if he didn't. It was a better movie.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    edited March 2010
    Al_wat wrote: »
    So you want to construct a utopia of infinite technological power, and use it to resurrect Hitler?!

Good to know where you stand philosophically.
    :P

:lol:

lol, this was a very artful Godwin.

Pi-r8 on
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I typed 2150 when I meant 2050. Much shorter timescale unfortunately. (I'll edit my post)
    2050? We're screwed, then.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    On the note of eternal life and being/not being a part of society: the idea is not that we would force you to continue living, only give you the choice to do so. Hell you could opt to be put in cold storage till certain parameters were met (like interesting things happening) or the like. You could probably opt to end your life permanently again - with clear guidelines not to be brought back.

The idea of a utopia (or more importantly: any effort to get us as close as possible to one as we can) would be to maximize individual freedoms and the like.

electricitylikesme on