As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lost Season 6] The island isn't done with you yet[Spoilers]

tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Thanks to Lucascraft for cool OP. I'm stealing it, but for the good of all.

LostSeason6.jpg

Lost Season 6
Season Premiere: Feb 2 8/7c

Taken from Wikipedia:
The season will premiere on February 2, 2010, with a two-hour episode preceded by a one-hour clip show, entitled "Lost: Final Chapter".[2][50] The show will continue onward from February 9 at its new timeslot of Tuesdays at 9 pm with a total of 18 episodes airing in 16 broadcasts, ending with a three-hour, two-part series finale in May 2010

Hurley explains seasons 1-4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njDirosYgrA

Seasons 1-5 are available for free on Hulu.com
http://www.hulu.com/lost

Old Lost thread: (Prepare to be SKULLFUCKED by Spoilers)
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=111145

RULES REGARDING SPOILERS

DO NOT spoiler anything that has already happened. If you aren't up to date with this series, this is not the thread for you.

DO NOT spoiler speculation.

DO spoiler any confirmed knowledge of future events, including interviews that talk about future stuff, images or videos from future episodes, or any other stuff that YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN is going to happen.

tallgeeze on

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "From some fissure the smoke of satan entered into the temple of God."

--Pope Paul VI

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That was seriously a contender for best ep ever last night.

Ben's my fav.

And wheres the pictures of the Jackface smile?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I personally loved watching Sayid kill, shoot, and maim people. I liked the episode 2 weeks ago just because of that. This episode... it just made me wanna give Ben a hug. Especially when I saw what he could have been like off the island. He's just a great guy!

In a sense, it was a death or end to Ben since this new Ben is so different. He made some key decisions that changed him for the better on and off island.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am conflicted about Ben. I mean was the good thing he did in the sideflash, really good or in some ways a way to make it up to his daughter? We know he loved her, thats certain, but does some part of him remember in the side flashes? Do they still have some Father/daughter connection(even though he is not her biological father).

Ben is as always the reason I watch the show. A true magnificent bastard with a human core.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited March 2010
    Sayid on the other hand has really ended up where his destiny(?) is. He is at heart a brutal killer. Its true in all his flashbacks/sideflashes and in his time on the Island. Everytime we see him do horrible things. Even on the island he was the guy that tortured people, shot Ben and others.

He has tried to run away from it, but has failed everytime. Violence is Sayid's Karma.

Kipling217 on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series, for sure. Emerson was batting .1000 last night.

And yeah, the big theme this season is pretty clearly Parallels(tm). And they are finding so many great ways to express it. Kind of hard to believe this will all be gone in just two months. D:

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Good episode. I like how they've managed to rein in the major mysteries and boil them all down to about four or five remaining ones, such as healing and immortality all being aspects of Jacob's power.

EddieDean on
  • EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, I am going to have so much fun watching this with my girlfriend.

I am going to be every not-yet-main character to her currently-main character, by which I mean I'll answer all of her questions truthfully but cryptically.

"Eddie, these guys have been in some ridiculous circumstances, how come they never die?"
    "Because Jacob has reached out and touched them all"

"What are Jack, Kate and Sawyer digging for the Others?"
    "The way home"

(I'm sure y'all can think of better ones)

EddieDean on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Cannot wait for the BluRay complete series release. It's going to cost a fortune, but it will be mine.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • moose47moose47 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I have a feeling this is the release that's going to finally force me to buy a blu-ray player.

moose47 on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It started with his temple shenanigans, but after last night I like Jack again. I think he's the new Locke

edit: The real reason is probably because Kate has been leaving him alone lately. Hell, now that she's presumably "with" Flocke at the Hydra we may not have to see them together till close to the finale :^:

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For that episode alone, Michael Emerson should get another Emmy.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone mentioned it at the end of the last thread but when they come around the edge of that bush in slow motion and with that music I instantly knew it was a throwback. It was so awesome, the greetings and everything were like exactly the same

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone mentioned it at the end of the last thread but when they come around the edge of that bush in slow motion and with that music I instantly knew it was a throwback. It was so awesome, the greetings and everything were like exactly the same

What resonated with me was just how lonely the new group looked. Compare it back to the episode in season 2 and there's such a sense of community there. In last nights episode it really hit home just how much things have changed on the show.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • AsiriyaAsiriya Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

What resonated with me was just how lonely the new group looked. Compare it back to the episode in season 2 and there's such a sense of community there. In last nights episode it really hit home just how much things have changed on the show.

This. While I'm enjoying the show now, there's something about the first season that I loved, and I think it could have gone any number of ways. Just having a big group of people crash land on an island and attempt to survive is such a great premise.

Asiriya on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, so much is terrifying about the back smoke penis.

This show has completely disoriented me again.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Remember, Ben picked up the Principle placard and looked kinda longingly at it. He still wants power. I don't really see his alt universe side as a better Ben, he's basically the same. Except his power play got rejected and he was forced to back down. Sure, he gets to see Alex succeed, but maybe the difference this time is that on some level, Ben knows what happened the last time he tried to call a bluff on someone threatening Alex. I see that as much more interesting than "Everything's happy in Universe X!"

Because hey, it's not. Kate's still on the run, Locke, while coming to terms with being in a wheelchair, one could also argue that he's given up his faith in miracles. He's turned into a standard guy with limitations. Till his death in regular timeline, Locke was certain he could beat those limitations.

Hurley is different and doing well, but we don't know much more than that about him. Ditto of Sawyer.

Plus I think in the podcasts they said they were going to have to merge the 2 timelines somehow, so we'll see how that happens.

Also, Jacob is one of the few people who has not killed anyone on the island as of yet. Smokey has killed lots of people.

If we're going by good vs. evil, that's a REALLY good indicator.

SniperGuy on
    edited March 2010
    Sawyer is the key. If His parents are still alive then Jacob is probably evil. Because that means that Jacob manipulated it so that his dad killed his mom. We have seen traces of this with Locke still being in touch with his dad.

This of course depends on the sideflashes being real sideflashes and not flashes of a world after one side wins. As in the future one side wins and we are seeing the result of this in the sideflashes. There is precedence with the flashforwards in past seasons.

Kipling217 on
  • BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But Ben is different. Regular Ben would have certainly let Alex's letter drop if it meant getting behind that desk. This is Ben now: Desires power [strike]at any price[/strike].

Backstop on
    edited March 2010
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Sawyer is the key. If His parents are still alive then Jacob is probably evil. Because that means that Jacob manipulated it so that his dad killed his mom. We have seen traces of this with Locke still being in touch with his dad.

This of course depends on the sideflashes being real sideflashes and not flashes of a world after one side wins. As in the future one side wins and we are seeing the result of this in the sideflashes. There is precedence with the flashforwards in past seasons.

Uh, no. That wouldn't make Jacob evil. That would mean that yet again something vastly different is going on, resulting in all kinds of changes. Not necessarily that Jacob did it.

Also, did Hurley win the lottery in X with the Numbers? Because that could be interesting. Remember, Jacob hadn't talked to Hurley at all in the X timeline.

The MIB is trying to convince everyone that Jacob manipulated them, but Jacob has always been pretty steadfast with the whole "It's your choice" thing. Especially given that he was still hoping Ben would decide not to murder him right till the end. He gave certain people gifts that allowed them to keep living without too much notable harm and they all happened to be on the same plane. Jacob never forced anyone onto the plane, or even when they were going to return, it was their choice to do so. Hell, even Sawyer COULD be off the Island, he just chose not to.

Maybe the entire reason the Island is under water is because Ben and his Father decided to leave. With Ben gone as a child, wouldn't that chain reaction things to be VASTLY different? He never gets shot, never has to be templed, etc etc. Thus the Island is probably underwater due to....Dharma? I'm guessing.

SniperGuy on
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm not entirely certain that Jacob wanted Ben to not kill him.

Miles says that Jacob "hoped that he wasn't wrong" about Ben. That doesn't preclude the possibility that Jacob's plan all along was to prod Ben into killing him, and was hoping that by dismissing him completely, he would do just that.

It certainly seems like Jacob has a very definitive plan in motion right now. He wasn't surprised by being killed, and he certainly hasn't been surprised by any of the ramifications of said act.

Ender on
    edited March 2010
    Ender wrote: »
    I'm not entirely certain that Jacob wanted Ben to not kill him.

Miles says that Jacob "hoped that he wasn't wrong" about Ben. That doesn't preclude the possibility that Jacob's plan all along was to prod Ben into killing him, and was hoping that by dismissing him completely, he would do just that.

It certainly seems like Jacob has a very definitive plan in motion right now. He wasn't surprised by being killed, and he certainly hasn't been surprised by any of the ramifications of said act.

Because just like Jack (after a round of russian roulette with dynamite), Jacob has absolute faith in what he's doing.

SniperGuy on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    One thing I've been wondering about given the latest Lost episode.

So in last week's episode, Richard
    said he lost his faith in Jacob when Jacob died and it became apparent that he had lied about having a plan. He was so lost that he was ready to commit suicide.

Yet last week or the week before, I forget which, when MiB tried to talk him into switching sides, Richard basically told him to get lost. Richard already knew that Jacob had died at that point, and even had a few days to mull this fact over, but it seemed he hadn't lost his strength of conviction in Jacob's side against MiB.

I'm trying to understand this sudden change of heart, but I'm completely lost.

Also I'm wondering if I win something for using the word "lost" in every sentence of my post :P

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, last night's episode made it clear that the Island still existed at some point in time and Dharma was on it. I wonder if it was Jack and Co. that forced everyone off it and sunk it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited March 2010
    Richard told him to get lost, but didn't say "Because Jacob rules!"

If God ceases to exist, do you automatically side with Satan? Probably not.

Richard knows Jacob is gone, and that Locke is evil incarnate. Thus he wants to get the hell away from Locke, and has lost faith. It's not necessarily a "choose sides" thing for Richard. Though his faith must have been somewhat restored by that.

SniperGuy on
  • smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Huge spoilers from last night...

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Well, last night's episode made it clear that the Island still existed at some point in time and Dharma was on it. I wonder if it was Jack and Co. that forced everyone off it and sunk it.

I thought LA X made that clear when it panned down and showed the barracks with the dharma shark swimming by.

SaraLuna on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I thought LA X made that clear when it panned down and showed the barracks with the dharma shark swimming by.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Richy wrote: »

said he lost his faith in Jacob when Jacob died and it became apparent that he had lied about having a plan. He was so lost that he was ready to commit suicide.

Yet last week or the week before, I forget which, when MiB tried to talk him into switching sides, Richard basically told him to get lost. Richard already knew that Jacob had died at that point, and even had a few days to mull this fact over, but it seemed he hadn't lost his strength of conviction in Jacob's side against MiB.

Also I'm wondering if I win something for using the word "lost" in every sentence of my post :P
    I don't think it's a change of heart. I think he already decided he wanted to die before smoke monster tried to recruit him. As far as he's concerned at that point, Jacob's dead, they're all fucked, and he just wants it to be over.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited March 2010
    smeej wrote: »
    Huge spoilers from last night...
    28bv22q.jpg

# The Chosen: This 1967 book, written by Chaim Potok, was seen as Ben was rummaging through Sawyer's tent at the beach camp. It is about two teenage Jewish boys who form a friendship, though they come from different worlds. (Books)

So that's Sawyer's skin mag. Hahaahahahahahaha

SniperGuy on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »

I don't think it's a change of heart. I think he already decided he wanted to die before smoke monster tried to recruit him. As far as he's concerned at that point, Jacob's dead, they're all fucked, and he just wants it to be over.

Richard was upset that Jacob was dead, but I think it really hit him when Smokey talked about canidates. Richard had no clue what a canidate was and Smokey felt bad for him. Richard dedicated his life to Jacob and the fact he had no clue on the basics of this conflict shook him and made him question why the hell he served all this time.

edit: Also, you don't have to spoiler tag anything except for future episode details.

tallgeeze on
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I also think that it took the devestation of the Temple to really knock Richard from his pedestal. Once he saw that, he figured that Jacob had been lying the whole time.

I mean, to him, if the guy had a plan, it certainly would include preventing the Temple from being razed, right?

Ender on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I also think that it took the devestation of the Temple to really knock Richard from his pedestal. Once he saw that, he figured that Jacob had been lying the whole time.

I mean, to him, if the guy had a plan, it certainly would include preventing the Temple from being razed, right?

This is what I think as well. He was devastated by Jacob's death, and then was made even worse by smokey mentioning the whole candidates thing, and was pushed over the edge by everyone at the temple getting killed. I sure do wish Kate was among them though....

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hamju wrote: »

This is what I think as well. He was devastated by Jacob's death, and then was made even worse by smokey mentioning the whole candidates thing, and was pushed over the edge by everyone at the temple getting killed. I sure do wish Kate was among them though....

I think, in terms of Richard having a change of heart or whatever, all these points are moot. I looked at it this way. Here's my thinking. Regardless of whether he believes or did believe in Jacob, it doesn't change the fact that Richard and MiB have probably been mortal enemies for quite some time. It's not that he was defending his love/devotion of or to Jacob when Smokey asks him to join, it's that he'd rather die than be aligned with Smokey. Even if his words aren't 100% sincere, he knows enough to openly defy Smokey, but he isn't going to side with him either.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Richard's dissatisfaction with Jacob has been brewing for a long time. I would imagine in the latter half of Ben's "rule" (eg: after the plane crashes), Richard started to struggle with the decisions Jacob had made.

stevemarks44 on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why wasn't Alex french in the altiverse?

815165 on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Because she grew up under a completely different set of circumstances, I'd say.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    edited March 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Why wasn't Alex french in the altiverse?

All we can assume right now is that for whatever reason, Danielle moved to the states since she wasn't on the boat/island. A friend's mother is from France, grew up in France, and lived in France for a good portion for her young adult life. Her daughter, my friend, however, has no semblance of a French accent since she was raised in NYC. If Alex was born in the US, it's not a stretch to believe that she would have a normal Southern California sounding voice, regardless of what Danielle sounds like.

stevemarks44 on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah it wasn't the accent that was odd, it was just weird to see her suddenly in America. I guess if the alternate stuff is what would have happened without Jacob's influence then you can assume he wanted all these people to meet up on the island instead of them all meeting outside of it, or it's just fan service, or both.

815165 on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I think sometimes LOST fans tend to forget the fact that at the end of the day its a television show (not talking about you). It'd be pretty boring if everyone diverged. You just have to take their coincidental interactions as great fan service, I think.

stevemarks44 on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm seeing way too many spoiler tags for stuff that happened last night.

That was an awesome episode. I loved Ben's little thing about Napoleon and his loss of power and other obvious allusions to "Other" Ben.

Vincent Grayson on
This discussion has been closed.