As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dipshit NY Assemblyman wants to ban salt, tasty food.

DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopping/13889/assemblyman-seeking-to-ban-all-salt-in-restaurant-cooking/
“I think salt should be banned in restaurants. I ask if a dish has salt in it, and if I does, I get something else that doesn’t have salt,” Ortiz tells me, before going on to say that he has eaten, and expects he will continue to eat, among other things, ham, cheese and bread in restaurants, all of which contain salt.

It is inarguable that too much salt in the diet can contribute to a host of health problems. It is further inarguable that many processed foods contain levels of sodium so high that consuming them regularly is inadvisable. V8 Juice, for instance, contains one-third of the government’s recommended daily sodium intake in just one 12-ounce serving, for instance, and one serving of Campbell’s regular condensed chicken-noodle soup, in the familiar red-and-white can, delivers even more salt. Number like those should be reduced.

However, that’s not what Ortiz’s bill is going after. He’s intent on banning all salt used in all restaurant food.

The language of the bill reads:
No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises.

The justification for the proposed law, given in the bill’s introduction, reads:
This legislation will give customers the option to add salt after the meal has been prepared for them. In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles.

Yeah, because adding salt after the meal is served works fucking great for (e.g.) baked goods, or meat marinades. I guess I'm not stopping at any restaurants when I visit my folks in NY if this whacko gets his way. (Not that there would be any left.) Hey, Ortitz, you know what happens if you cut 100% of the salt out of your diet? You fucking die, that's what.

Daedalus on

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It would be hilarious if it turned out that salt was, like, absolutely vital for survival.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If they tried to take away salt from restaurants in NYC, they would shut down. Chefs use an astronomical ammount of salt and butter in their dishes.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »
    It would be hilarious if it turned out that salt was, like, absolutely vital for survival.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but it is vital for survival. Just not in the amounts most people in America eat.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    If they tried to take away salt from restaurants in NYC, they would shut down. Chefs use an astronomical ammount of salt and butter in their dishes.

Well salt does make things taste good.

psychotix on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

I don't know if you're joking or not, but it is vital for survival. Just not in the amounts most people in America eat.

Like everything else we eat, most of which is indeed vital for our bodies to function properly, it needs to be eaten in moderation. Simple, yet hardly followed in the age of fast food.

Salt is also good as a religious metaphor as well as a method to melt ice and kill germs.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Like everything else we eat, most of which is indeed vital for our bodies to function properly, it needs to be eaten in moderation. Simple, yet hardly followed in the age of fast food.

Salt is alo good as a religious metaphor as well as a method to melt ice and kill germs.

Don't blame fast food for this. Fine dining is full of salt and butter as well, it's all foods. It tastes good and that's why we eat it. If they take it out the food tastes like crap and we buy something else.

This is a problem with the people, not the companies pushing the product.

EDIT- It also does not melt ice. It raises the freezing point to help prevent it from refreezing.

psychotix on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Lowers the freezing point, you mean.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    psychotix wrote: »
    Don't blame fast food for this. Fine dining is full of salt and butter as well, it's all foods. It tastes good and that's why we eat it. If they take it out the food tastes like crap and we buy something else.

This is a problem with the people, not the companies pushing the product.

EDIT- It also does not melt ice. It raises the freezing point to help prevent it from refreezing.
    Salt in food is less about getting saltiness and more about the fact that salt improves the working of your taste buds. It's why saltless food tends to taste lifeless.

Still, this bill is all kinds of stupid and is clearly just a PR stunt.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's like he has never baked anything in his life. I fucked up and forgot the pinch of salt in my waffle recipe once and it was awful.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It sounds like a backhanded protest of the banned extra-bad fat thing.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, if the gun control threads have taught me anything, it's that no matter how other people might feel about something, if it's dangerous it should be banned.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2010
    Restaurants of all stripes use way too much salt. Ditto processed foods.

But this is among the stupidest proposals I have heard.

(Also, I have known people who refuse to use salt in their cooking, and their food fucking sucks. Cooking without salt is like cooking without... I dunno... something vital. Especially baking. Baked goods without salt are shit.)

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yes, I am indeed joking. Not that I'm suggesting people would start dying if restaurants weren't allowed to use salt though, just being silly.

Although a rash of goiters would be funny/tragic.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, if the gun control threads have taught me anything, it's that no matter how other people might feel about something, if it's dangerous it should be banned.

Do not drag gun control in here or I will blast you with a shotgun loaded with rock salt.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »

(Also, I have known people who refuse to use salt in their cooking, and their food fucking sucks. Cooking without salt is like cooking without... I dunno... something vital. Especially baking. Baked goods without salt are shit.)

Especially everything, trying making a steak without salt. It's not good.

psychotix on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this is excellent
    i support this legislation
    i hope he bans fire next, fucking flames always burning the shit out of things

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This legislation will give customers the option to add salt after the meal has been prepared for them. In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles.
    When the hell did "intake" become a verb?

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Especially everything, trying making a steak without salt. It's not good.

Well, some foods without salt are bland. And some just taste wrong. I would rather have a steak sans salt than a cookie.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wouldn't meat have trace amounts of salts in it? Like, from the blood. Doesn't this legislation ban the use of salt in any form?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    this is excellent
    i support this legislation
    i hope he bans fire next, fucking flames always burning the shit out of things

Hey, hey.

Let us step outside, friend.

--

Do we know what this dullard's position is on that fat ban they did awhile ago?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    A lot of things are just inherently salty. Anything canned, in a brine, cured, etc.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Sports drinks will have to be banned.

As will Pedialyte.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perrier water will too.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Isn't caviar loaded with fantastic amounts of salt?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well, I imagine this is just for restaurants, not for general foodstuffs. Much like the trans fat ban.

Also, I was nearly very distressed as I thought this guy was my assemblyman. He's actually in the district just south of mine, thank God.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Isn't caviar loaded with fantastic amounts of salt?

Yeah, but it's already in there, I presume he means adding salt to things.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I doubt even this guy is dumb enough to try and ban the very existence of sodium in foodstuffs.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So the only way for restaurants to have salt in their stuff is if they don't make it themselves?

Can't make a fresh rub with salt in it so you buy some from the grocery store that's full of preservatives and use it in your five star establishment?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Salt tastes good. Almost as good as bacon.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Guns at dawn Good sir!

I'm not totally against adding salt, but I mainly use different peppers, herbs and some cream for meats.

On baking salt is useful, although I'm known to add some other spices in addition of salt to them.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So the only way for restaurants to have salt in their stuff is if they don't make it themselves?

Can't make a fresh rub with salt in it so you buy some from the grocery store that's full of preservatives and use it in your five star establishment?

No, not like that. Some items, ie caviar, are just full of salt naturally. And there is a certain amount of sodium in things.

On the other hand, all places that serve food, regardless of quality, put tons of salt in everything to make it taste better. Because nobody would eat at a place that didn't, it would taste fucking foul.

So the proposal is that you can't add salt into anything, or use things that are made with salt (like say pickled food stuffs, or salted butter) and then the customer would have to add it at the end.

It's still retarded, but I doubt anybody is daft enough to just ban salt in all it's forms, you'd have to ban everything.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't mind a LIMIT to salting things, if there was a practicable way to enforce it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    jammu wrote: »

Guns at dawn Good sir!

I'm not totally against adding salt, but I mainly use different peppers, herbs and some cream for meats.

On baking salt is useful, although I'm known to add some other spices in addition of salt to them.

:^:

I rarely add salt (except to stews and soups, and baked goods of course), and I hear nothing but compliments on my cooking.

That's not to say salt is bad, I just don't want to add it to our foods. We get enough salt in our diets without adding more.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    this is what is known as a publicity stunt

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    jammu wrote: »

Guns at dawn Good sir!

There are plenty of things where you don't need to add salt, certainly. But for most foods - at least most of the foods I cook - adding a little bit of salt brings out the other flavors in a way that's very difficult without salt, if not impossible.

A lot of things, I think, taste best if the only seasoning is a little salt and maybe some black pepper. I cook most of my side dishes fairly simply, because I like tasting whatever it is I'm cooking. If I'm making asparagus, I like to taste the asparagus. If I'm grilling a steak, I wanna taste the steak. Chicken and pork are different, because their natural flavors are so damned boring that you need to get creative. Then I tend to get wild with herbs and such.

( I really love cilantro, because it's cheap as shit so if I buy a bunch and half of it goes bad I don't get too upset. Like, oh no, I just lost a quarter's worth of herbs.)

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wouldn't mind a LIMIT to salting things, if there was a practicable way to enforce it.

And again, won't happen, there is a natural limit in this. Using an unhealthy amount of salt makes things taste better, this is known. But turning your prime rib into jerky will cause your business to fail.

The reality is that people prefer salty food. Trying to put limits into place, for "their own damn good", isn't a good idea.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

And again, that's just silly, there is a natural limit in this. Using an unhealthy amount of salt makes things taste better, this is known. But turning your prime rib into jerky will cause your business to fail.

The reality is that people prefer salty food. Trying to put limits into place, for "their own damn good", isn't a good idea.

It's not practicable, anyways.

I prefer the notion of them being made to inform customers about basic nutrition facts, more than anything, but again, not practicable.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

And again, that's just silly, there is a natural limit in this. Using an unhealthy amount of salt makes things taste better, this is known. But turning your prime rib into jerky will cause your business to fail.

It's not practicable, anyways.

I prefer the notion of them being made to inform customers about basic nutrition facts, more than anything, but again, not practicable.

The thing is that most people just plain don't care. Places (in my area, at least) are required to provide nutritional information, and a lot of places around here have that information right on the table and obviously labeled. But nobody gives a shit, because they don't want to give up their Bloomin' Onions and Triple Chocolate Death Cakes and Cheesy Pasta In Cheese Sauce Sprinkled With Cheese And Oh Hell Just Go Swim In The Mozzerella Vat Already.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Went to Macaroni Grill the other night. It is extremely easy to walk away from the table having just taken in 4000 calories and 5000mg of sodium. Extremely.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ElJeffe, I don't think mozzarella comes in vats.

Captain Carrot on