As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Avengers Thread! 'Nuff Said

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Image United just debuted a character named Fortress in November. I know it's not exactly a unique word, but that's still bad taste.

Hensler on
    edited March 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Speaking of, what is Silver Surfer even doing these days?

(The answer is probably surfing, right?)

I think he's been in that awful, horrible Son Of Hulk book.

Hensler on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    so I'm 3/4 for Avengers titles I'm going to try the first issue of. Going from 0 to 3 is a pretty mean feat, someone should commend Marvel's marketing department.

MastaP on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

No!

No. He should be hanging ten on the rings of Saturn and banging that fire-haired silver chick.

Not hanging out with one of Hulk's dumb space kids.

desc on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Man fuck the pair of you, Hiro Kala is awesome.

DarkWarrior on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I need to see these guys in action. I mean, I'm completely sold because of the kid with dinosaur powers, but I'm not exactly sure what everyone else does.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited March 2010
    You're such a Dinowhore Spooky.

DarkWarrior on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

No!

No. He should be hanging ten on the rings of Saturn and banging that fire-haired silver chick.

Not hanging out with one of Hulk's dumb space kids.

I think he was just in it at the first issue. Son of Hulk was like rawr I will fight you. And Silver Surfer was like mang I will show you real power and he takes him to Galactus. And son of hulk says Rawr I don't give a shit burn the whole earth to the motherfucking ground and galactus punted him into space.

Langly on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm going blind.
    - The Masturbator

Nightslyr on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Aw man, my life sure does suck"
    -Peter Parker

Silver_Mage on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Someone on the last thread mentioned new characters, and even though my favorite characters are from the '60s I am totally in favor of new blood, but I know I'm in the minority of people around my age especially who still love 50-year old characters. I think it's funny that the most iconic Marvel characters are nearly a half-century old except for Wolverine (35) and Deadpool. Even when I had my idea for a new Ms. Marvel ongoing the two secondary characters--characters arguably as important as her in the long-run--were Hulkling and Noh-Varr (who I am glad is not using the Captain Marvel name). But that is what it is. I understand why risks aren't taken (I have to put up with making arguments for more risk and it landing on deaf ears in other real world context all the time), but it's disappointing. I am glad that there is apparently going to be a decent to large roster of Avengers among the three/four teams (plus Thunderbolts and others) and even if they take the graphic medium for what it is and have some characters Bendis doesn't love obsessively just doing something in the background would be awesome just to acknowledge there are lots of them and they all don't hang out at the cool kids' table.

Crimsondude on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "I play with other people's toys."
    -Bendis

I myself agree with you Crimson, I do love the older golden and silver age characters and regard them mostly as superior to the new guys that come out. I like to look at the newer generations of characters as dynamics that are just added on to give the original guys extra flavor. We do get the occasional "gold strike" though, where a character is created that is so thoroughly awesome they deserve to stand apart from most (Deadpool). That's kind of what I'm hoping for in Avengers Academy, out of all the no starters we'll get a diamond in the rough.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited March 2010
    The question shouldn't be how did two guys create so many iconic characters. It should be "why are so many iconic characters 50-70 year-old creations of two guys."

Crimsondude on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Probably because the industry is too propped up on banking off of the money generated by the popularity of past characters. It creates an environment where it's safer to just expand on established cannon rather than taking a risk with new ideas. So we see all these new authors and artists breaking on to the scene to basically ride in the wake left by the imaginative giants that proceeded them, because it's a surer way of making money.

Now usually I'd like to think that these people are just trying to tow the line until they're established enough to input some of their own creative material. But by that time they've been writing the same type of character for so long they've become comfortable with it and don't want to move away from what works.

sad

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm sure when the awesome characters were created, they were met with just as much ill will as these new guys are getting now.

"The Thing"? He's just Hulk covered in rocks! What a lame character.

I'm not judging these guys on anything until I see them in action. Dinosaur Boy gets a pass, since his powers are fucking awesome to the max times infinity.
    PLUS ONE

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Am I the only one who thought "Mecha Red Skull" when I saw Fortress?

ManetherenWolf on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I just finished reading the recent issue of Mighty, and I'm really trying to figure out what the hell Slott is on. What's the point of building Pym up just so all of his hard work is ruined by one stupid question? Hank goes from awesome to idiot in one panel, and that's fucking annoying.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    So I just finished reading the recent issue of Mighty, and I'm really trying to figure out what the hell Slott is on. What's the point of building Pym up just so all of his hard work is ruined by one stupid question? Hank goes from awesome to idiot in one panel, and that's fucking annoying.

All I know is I'm done with the book. The scientist supreme nonsense was spectacularly retarded. I'm altering my reality, believing Loki was telling the truth about being behind the scientist supreme stuff, and pretending the book ended with everybody else realizing he's a buffoon.

Peeps Chicken on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just picked up Avengers Forever to re-read, and I'm much more liking the Hank Pym(s) portrayed in there. Slott turned me off of Mighty Avengers as well. Which was too bad, because he had a good springboard for making Pym interesting after the events of Secret Invasion. There was so much potential to show Hank Pym driving himself in a humble way to make up for the sins committed by his imposter and to honor the memory of Wasp. But Slott has propped up Pym's ego to astronomical levels. Its got that beyond-belief aspect to it that also turned me off of Loeb's Hulk series. I mean, granted, its a comic-book. But my willing suspension of disbelief has its limits...

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

Hopefully it'll all be answered when the last couple of issues or so are released.

Owenashi on
    edited March 2010
    For today, TWO new Avenger's Academy students announced: Finesse and Hazmat

Finesse sounds like she is a Taskmaster ripoff, while Hazmat sounds like a Radioactive Man crossed with Jack of Hearts.

cshadow42 on
    edited March 2010
    I have to imagine they dont have long term prospects for these people because...well theyre putting 0 effort into their names and they seem so random they'd be more at home on the X-Men. And again, almost all these people seem to have been done before and are still currently going. I agree with Cshadow for instance that Finesse looks/sounds from her little soundbyte to be aiming for a reflexive memory thing.

But Taskmaster does that. And he is fucking awesome.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2010
    They need some new concepts for superhero concepts. New power sets, new cost/benefit ratios, etc. I know there are tons of superheroes out there, but there are definetly new power concepts to be had.

And as weird as this sounds, its too bad there aren't any legacy characters on the team. Someone who is related or directly strongly influenced by a previous superhero. Komodo was influenced by Curt Conners, Prodigy and Iron Spiders influenced by Spider-man, etc. Not having read Avenger's Academy, obviously, I'm not saying this isn't going to happen. Just that it looks unlikely to happen.

My guess is that the Avenger's Academy instructors are going to be the New Warriors. Granted, they'll be more like camp counselors, and go on wacky hijink adventures of their own.

cshadow42 on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    And have sex in the woods.

And possibly be terrorized at a later time by a machete-wielding Scourge.

Munch on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd read it.

Furu on
    edited March 2010
    Hmm...being new characters, they are expendable...like MVP was in Avenger's Initiative. Yeah... I think I could dig a Friday the 13th w/superheroes splice.

cshadow42 on
    edited March 2010
    Except MVP's death wasn't pointless or done entirely for shock value.

Also all joking aside I am really sick of characters getting killed off.

Furu on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    would anyone else not be shocked if the returning characterfor avenger acadamy was wolverine

"i don't know what i am doing here"

mts on
    camo_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    mts wrote: »
    would anyone else not be shocked if the returning characterfor avenger acadamy was wolverine

"i don't know what i am doing here"

It's Reptil!

Furu on
    edited March 2010
    Im still curious how this is going to work with the SHRA considering that it was run by heroes before, or something like it, and during that they strapped down someone and tore their alien bonded power away from them.

DarkWarrior on
    edited March 2010
    Im still curious how this is going to work with the SHRA considering that it was run by heroes before, or something like it, and during that they strapped down someone and tore their alien bonded power away from them.

The SHRA was ran by the government. That's was Gyrich's call, much like everything else.

Furu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    Except MVP's death wasn't pointless or done entirely for shock value.

Also all joking aside I am really sick of characters getting killed off.

However, that entire group was essentially created in order to tear them down without ever building them up.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I don't like any of these character designs, BUT - one picture and one sentence is not enough to judge them on, and Christos Gage is a hell of a writer and he turned Initiative into one of Marvel's best books, and has done some really awesome books for other companies, so I'm expecting the book to be pretty good.

Hensler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like Hazmat's design. I kind of think she should have a connection to Radioactive Man, but I doubt that's the case when his son is supposed to be on the Bastards of Evil.

I also wouldn't count on Finesse having Taskmaster's powers. Her tagline makes her sound more like a Mr. Terrific type to me, i.e. naturally good at anything.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Matt Fraction interview on his Thor run starting in June.

I must say his ideas sound pretty epic. Lets hope it can translate like that on paper.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited March 2010
    I always liked the Thor stories that took place in and around Asgard better than the Earth ones, so I like what Fraction has planned.

Hensler on
    edited March 2010
    What did Hank Pym do now?

Crimsondude on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Asked loki to be on the Avengers.

Sharp101 on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What did Hank Pym do now?
    He offered an Avengers position to Loki. Needless to say just about every member quit after that and the whole teams swansong will be fighting the Thunderbolts. Except for Pym, he's fighting Ultron.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    For today, TWO new Avenger's Academy students announced: Finesse and Hazmat

Finesse sounds like she is a Taskmaster ripoff, while Hazmat sounds like a Radioactive Man crossed with Jack of Hearts.

"I can do anything you can do better"

Did a dyslexic on the staff try and remember the lyrics to "anything you can do"?

TexiKen on