As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlooked classics

• Options
    EndrzGameEndrzGame Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    AlexPHott wrote: »
    Anyone ever played this?

Star_Wars_-_Shadows_of_the_Empire_Coverart.png

Hell yeah I played SotE! That and Zelda OoT were the first two games I bought for my N64. =)

EndrzGame on
  • Options
    EndrzGameEndrzGame Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Easily one of the best games ever that is very unknown to the majority, which is a shame... The Neverhood!

Just an example known as the "Weasel Chase", this game uses claymation, everything is made of clay, it's awesome... Epic. I cannot explain in words.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDh_O3FQWY

OMG I totally forgot about this game! It was one of my favorites!

EndrzGame on
  • Options
    AlexPHottAlexPHott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EndrzGame wrote: »
    Easily one of the best games ever that is very unknown to the majority, which is a shame... The Neverhood!

Just an example known as the "Weasel Chase", this game uses claymation, everything is made of clay, it's awesome... Epic. I cannot explain in words.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDh_O3FQWY

OMG I totally forgot about this game! It was one of my favorites!
    It is my all time favorite game.

AlexPHott on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think Doug was talking about making a movie out of it. He mentioned that awhile ago though.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    okay this game i got randomly and it blew me away

HerzogZwei-Cover.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO53h7nWEU&feature=related

I'm sure many of you remember this game for the Genesis. It was basically the first RTS ever made, way ahead of its time. I played countless hours of it with my friend. Totally fucking awesome game that no one knows about.

I just bought the (much cheaper japanese) cart for that game. Once it arrives, I'll be ready to drop tanks all over my friend's bases all over again

My fun tactic was to spend 30 seconds right at the start of the game sending bikes towards the enemy base, then get on with capturing the 1st base near me. When that was captured send out another couple of bikes, then capture the next base and send out another couple. You'd usually find that when you ran into the other player (usually at the middle base) he'd start hearing the alarms from your bikes hitting his base and have to rush home to see what was up. Good times.

Deicist on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yep. Deception, Deception II, Deception III, and the one with the best name of them all...

Trapt-PS2-Boxart.jpg
    9.jpg

It's good, but II & III are better.

I remember watching some videos of this, and the plot was brain hurtingly insane

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    warmakerwarmaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dixon wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

Sure, it's just RC pro am with guns and a soundtrack featuring Sabbath, Steppenwolf and Deep Purple

Why downplay it?

That is absolutely enough reason

This game is the greatest game ever. I used to have it as a kid, however like 2 years ago I fixed this ladies computer across the street and as payment she said I could either have $40 or her sons old video games.

I took the video games and ended up with a snes with 3 controllers about 20 games including Rock 'n Roll racing...My favorite racer was like hawkman or some shit. He was clad in all metal.

Also I have both Tomba 1 and 2 in my room and my dad has a PS3 I should check if they work

That game was so friggen epic. I used to regularly beat the crap out of my friends in 4 player matches all the time back in Grade school. What an awesome classic racer.

warmaker on
  • Options
    MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Outcast was TITS. I've been wanting to play that again. The graphics were absolutely nuts at the time. I remember staring at the water forever...

It was a bit of a pain in the ass running around doing stuff sometimes, but the awesome alien culture and sense of immersion was unique

Outcast 2 was never finished. It was going to be on Dreamcast and use lame "polygons", though.

Metatrad on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Metal Warriors on the SNES is always my goto "Goddamn, was I the only one who loved that game?" game.

41XYTX8X0ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Single player? Sure, whatever. The split-screen multi was where it was AT. We played hours of it. You picked from 6 different mechs, each one vastly different. So much fun.
    Metal_Warriors_lineup_by_Tatong.jpg

And I would kill 7 men for an update of Rocket Jockey on XBLA or PSN.
    300px-Rocket_Jockey_Box.jpg

You raced around on rockets that moved so fast you had to shoot out wires to grab onto walls and swing yourself around to get around corners. Oh, and those wires could also clothesline other racers. And, if you were feeling particularly dickish, you could attach a wire between walls or pylons as a trap for people racing by later. Man, that game was cool.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OH GOD ROCKET JOCKEY...shooting a cable beam out and watching your opponent get clothes lined was so good.

The art design of the menus were pretty cool to, there was even mini games where you try to hook the ball and score with it

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Davoid wrote: »
    I think Doug was talking about making a movie out of it. He mentioned that awhile ago though.
    There is indeed a movie in the works with planned release next year, not sure if it'll be related at all to the characters, especially not Klaymen nor will it be made with claymation, probably animated like all other movies from companies like.. Pixar. *Shrug* I don't have high expectations on the movie to be honest.

AlexPHott on
  • Options
    BluefootBluefoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Solar Eclipse motherfuckers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNkihL8ZoI

Skip to 2:50 for Claudia Christian of Babylon 5 fame being a hardass.

The gameplay itself was kind of mediocre but it had really great live-action cutscenes and a pretty decent storyline. Plus it had some of the most hilarious bonus levels ever, including a version of the Star Wars trench run featuring what I can only assume are the game's developers delivering lines from the movie.

Bluefoot on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Metal Warriors on the SNES is always my goto "Goddamn, was I the only one who loved that game?" game.
    41XYTX8X0ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Single player? Sure, whatever. The split-screen multi was where it was AT. We played hours of it. You picked from 6 different mechs, each one vastly different. So much fun.
    Metal_Warriors_lineup_by_Tatong.jpg

OMG Metal Warriors! This was the shit back before there were any licensed Gundam or Macross games. It had everything, great controls, graphics, a fucking multiplayer and all that other shit I don;t think I ever beat it, but i know I spend hours trying to when I was young.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Re: Trapt - the stories have always been terrible at best.

You play the Deception games to kill stupid people in droves, and at that, it's always been great.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    pic_einhander_with_weapons.jpg

PS-BushidoBlade.jpg

Needs more loving in this thread.

And holy fuck, I never played Metal Warrior. But it looks badass. and I want a DS rerelease with wifi battles and new robot types.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Anybody remember Outcast? I was blown away by the scope in that game.. Or maybe it was the second one..

Outcast was so ahead of its time. I think having played it kinda lessened the impact of high profile games for me over the following two years or so. That game did fucking everything, and was the most cinematic experience I had encountered in a game at the time. Shame the second one never came to fruition, but I doubt they would have been able to top the first one anyway.

Oh, and the soundtrack was, and still is, amazing. One of my absolute favorites. Loved how some of the tracks were so long that you'd only ever hear the crescendos in extremely drawn out firefights, making them feel that much more epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-m8Z6M7Lwk&feature=related

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    PS-BushidoBlade.jpg
    We used to have all night, first to a thousand kills matches with this game, man.

The potential to end any fight in literally a second is so awesome.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah Bushido blade with its super convoluted story mode that I don't think I ever beat as my young mind could not grasp the proper method in which to proceed.

Multiplayer and the endless hallway of ninjas to fight though was incredible

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah Bushido blade with its super convoluted story mode that I don't think I ever beat as my young mind could not grasp the proper method in which to proceed.

I beat both of them, this and the sequel. Mostly just as a way to unlock all the characters, though.

We used to do gunfights with the second game, each of us taking one of the people using firearms. Those were either over instantly or they took 10 minutes per kill.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It was awesome back in the day before the internet and easy access to information to stumble upon a game that just blew your mind and introduced you to gameplay you never even had thought about before.

Starflight was one of those games for me. I played it for Genesis / Megadrive, but it was also released for various computer setups. It's gameplay is extremely similar to the Star Control games, but I only ever found out about those years later. Couldn't tell you who copied who there, but I still prefer Starflight for its niftier lander / mining sequences, and for presenting a bit of a more serious world to interact with - while I appreciate the humor of Star Control, Starflight always left me with the impression that space was dangerous and even friendly races were too alien to actually consider them as such.

Sega CD also introduced me to adventure games with Rise of the Dragon and Snatcher. As a kid I always thought it was hilarious to try to take home a hooker and make the game unwinnable; unfortunately the game also introduced me to Sierra-syndrome where the game doesn't stop even though you effectively lost it hours ago.

I pretty much agree with everyone else on the Goemon games and random non-RPG Square games.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTQg0sGqtw

Loved this game when I played it. One of the best "extreme" sports games.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I know it was mentioned on the first page, and right away on the Happy Video Game Nerd, but Metal Storm NES was my favorite game for a long time. The music, the gravity-switching, some good boss design (and some not-so-good). I was confused when I came to the Internet and found out it didn't sell well.

Also for NES: Shatterhand. It got lost in all the similar no-name side-scrollers coming out late in the NES era, but Shatterhand was the one I ended up with. You played an 80s-era Hugh Jackman in a sleeveless vest and punched cyborgs to death with your awesome military-grade robot hands.

Shatterhand_cover.jpg

By picking up three alpha/beta powerups you'd get one of eight robot sidekicks; picking up the same sequence again would give you fifteen seconds of super armor invincibility. I mention this because I played the game enough to work out the exact order of stages -- and powerups to skip within those stages -- to have this armor for five of the seven bosses.

EDIT: I almost forgot, Shatterhand has a couple levels with gravity-switching as well.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I beat both of them, this and the sequel. Mostly just as a way to unlock all the characters, though.

We used to do gunfights with the second game, each of us taking one of the people using firearms. Those were either over instantly or they took 10 minutes per kill.

i was never able to unlock the second gunslinger, just the effeminate blonde one!

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

i was never able to unlock the second gunslinger, just the effeminate blonde one!
    It was a labor of love unlocking everyone in that game.

The hardest one was the wannabee samurai, though. I think I played his section 3 dozen times before I got him. I wanted him to be good so bad.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Medium Dave ! Metal Warriors was awesome ! I played that game so much as a kid.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    Also, is Flashback really overlooked? I would have picked that over Out Of This World, because Flashback is a special kind of amazing.

I'm pretty sure i remember it not getting a whole ton of press coverage when it came out and nobody i knew other than me at the time ever bought it. It was awesome though in all kinds of ways.

Also:

therealcover.jpg

Remind me again why there was no #3? I loved these games.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Out of this World isn't overlooked.

The Sega CD exclusive sequel on the other hand...

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Out of this World is legendary.

I actually picked up a copy of Heart of the Alien a few weeks back.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, and the gaming magazines were pretty much all over Flashback when it came out. Rotoscoping and whatnot.

I suppose the games are overlooked in that you wouldn't know about them if you weren't around or paying attention at the time. I'm pretty sure I bought Flashback at least twice, though.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Out of this World is legendary.

I actually picked up a copy of Heart of the Alien a few weeks back.

For not being made by the original creator and all that, it's quite good, and arguably much harder.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Starsiege_Box_Cover.jpg

One of my all time favorite games. Often overshadowed by the Mechwarrior series but Starsiege had so much style that I still think its at least on par with mechwarrior. Also it has Mark Hamil in it and some of the best music in a mech game.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is the opposite of overlooked, but, I guess overlooked by me.

Playing Dragon Warrior for the first time, it's pretty fun.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is the opposite of overlooked, but, I guess overlooked by me.

Playing Dragon Warrior for the first time, it's pretty fun.

^5. I played through that for the first time maybe 6 months ago.

256px-Hybridheaven.jpg

I didn't see Hybrid Heaven listed, and that's pretty much the definition of over-looked.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    strife.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one out there who played this little gem. In a way it resemble a Deus Ex prototype, what with it being a FPS with a mix of RPG elements, with an actual story, augments, some shops here and there, and multiple endings.

Unfortunately that game still used the aging Doom engine and came out the same year as Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. Obscurity ensued.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    This entire series is an overlooked classic, but this one is my favorite:

Deception3box.JPG

45-ePSXe_2007-06-28_18-08-08-64.jpg

The first Deception was the very first PS1 game I ever played, and Resident Evil was the second. Good times.

Also:
    Stay Tooned!

God this game was bizarre, but I played it over and over again. If I could figure out a way to get this to work on Vista, I would be in heaven.

SmokeScreen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Stay Tooned was ridiculous

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    splash_stellar7-splash.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlXU-1T5m0

In 1990, running on DOS?

This thing blew my mind.

I've also never met anyone else who knew what the hell it was.

Also, whoever mentioned the Genesis game Ranger X earlier in the thread? Hell. Yes. You could turn into a rover at will!
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    Starsiege_Box_Cover.jpg

One of my all time favorite games. Often overshadowed by the Mechwarrior series but Starsiege had so much style that I still think its at least on par with mechwarrior. Also it has Mark Hamil in it and some of the best music in a mech game.

I was heavy into the multiplayer for this game. Nothing like rocking an Olympian with 4 Blasters and 2 EMPs with an SMOD and bare bones computers and sensors to compensate for the huge weight and heat issues that loadout caused.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oh I just got reminded by an old game I used to love, a cookie to anyone who sees what it is:
    2ni4shh.jpg

AlexPHott on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raynaga wrote: »
    splash_stellar7-splash.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlXU-1T5m0

In 1990, running on DOS?

This thing blew my mind.

I've also never met anyone else who knew what the hell it was.

Someone else purchased that game? I believe this calls for a daaaamn.

Tamin on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Blast_Corps_Coverart.png

Man this game was fun for its time.

4rch3nemy on