As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Le Monstre du [Chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    From now on, all religion debates have to be in Trochaic Heptameter.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Haha Apparently one of the listed side effects of LSD is "unwanted life-changing spirtual experience." And here I thought it was all that E I had taken that night.

Man, sometimes I wonder if doing drugs might be a bad idea.

E an be LSD based

In the sense that your big mac could have whopper meat in it. But no, it effectively never happens.

And ProfM I didn't know you did drugs, goodness.

Not as much as I used to. When I go down to Oregon, I make a point of going to a rave and indulging, but it's been nearly two years since.

That's fairly responsible. I've never been to a rave, and I kind of wish I had when I still indulged in empathogenic stimulants.

TL DR on
    edited March 2010
    My dad is trying to get me to read the god delusion. I will have to at some point I guess.

Didn't agree with what I have read of it. On morals and evolution.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    My dad is trying to get me to read the god delusion. I will have to at some point I guess.

What's your take, then?

TL DR on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Why is tact important?
    :lol:

Oh, Internet. You're the best.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    my pants are restricting me. I want to take them off but feel that it will get me fired!

what should i do [chat]!?

Compromise. Just pull them halfway down for some fresh air.

they are restricting my ankles!

Dunadan019 on
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haha Apparently one of the listed side effects of LSD is "unwanted life-changing spirtual experience." And here I thought it was all that E I had taken that night.

Man, sometimes I wonder if doing drugs might be a bad idea.

E an be LSD based

In the sense that your big mac could have whopper meat in it. But no, it effectively never happens.

And ProfM I didn't know you did drugs, goodness.

Not as much as I used to. When I go down to Oregon, I make a point of going to a rave and indulging, but it's been nearly two years since.

That's fairly responsible. I've never been to a rave, and I kind of wish I had when I still indulged in empathogenic stimulants.

I tried E a couple times up here in Juneau with some friends, but it is just not the same outside of a rave environment. It's like, I have all this empathy at the ready, but no community to share it with.

Hell, I'd probably love a proper rave without the aid of drugs. I hear complaints from my friends about candy kids and the rave community, but I swear to god they have got something going on there.

Silas Brown on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm fairly convinced that The God Delusion convinced very, very few people who weren't already atheists. It didn't create converts. But a book called "Humanism is Great!" probably wouldn't have made it to the NYT bestseller list. So while Loren Michael says that the title probably wasn't beneficial for Dawkins personally, I have to disagree. It sold some books, and guarantees that Dawkins is going to be remembered as an ideological crusader and not just a brilliant scientist.

Well, beneficial in terms of him winning religious friends and the like. It's a great title for the book's intended audience.

Also, Sam Harris never used the word "atheist" in The End of Faith and has stated that he doesn't enjoy using the term or having it applied to him.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    James wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Gah I am so bad at dealing with harassment (flier raids, drops, nukes, etc) in SC2.

Did you play the first game?

Barely.

Inquisitor on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I think that an entire religious debate done in haiku would be genuinely enjoyable.

Edit: Not saying that Trochaic Heptameter is haiku.

Nostregar on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Raving was generally all good times, until someone goes and throws a water bottle at a cop car or something similar.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited March 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »

I think that an entire religious debate done in haiku would be genuinely enjoyable.

You say there is God
    I see only the fleshmeat
    Prove your space daddy

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010
    Gah I am so bad at dealing with harassment (flier raids, drops, nukes, etc) in SC2.

Barely.

Turrets, and lots of 'em.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010

Barely.

I play zerg.

Inquisitor on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I like differentiating between atheists who are skeptics from people who merely hold the belief "God does not exist", but a) technically speaking, both are atheists -- atheist does not mean "Smartest dude in the room", and b) adeist would be a stupid term, both because it makes no sense what distinguishes an atheist from an adeist, and also because an alpha primitive is greek, so it would be stupid to use it on a latinate term.

It's pretty obvious that when Dawkins/Harris/et. al. are referred to as atheists, the word 'atheism' is being used as shorthand for a specific brand of physicalist humanist skepticism. You can be an "atheist" without being a physicalist, or a humanist, or a skeptic.

Which ties in to my problem with atheism as an ideological movement - it conflates what is being argued for with what is being argued against. If you argue for skepticism, or physicalism, then atheism will naturally logically follow. If you argue for humanism, atheism does not necessarily logically follow, but it makes atheism a lot easier to swallow. If you start out arguing against God, you're going to alienate your potential arguments. This is not a moral argument, it is a practical one. I'm not sitting here going "augh, atheists are so offensive!" I'm sitting here going, "augh, atheists are so bad at propaganda!"

I'm fairly convinced that The God Delusion convinced very, very few people who weren't already atheists. It didn't create converts. But a book called "Humanism is Great!" probably wouldn't have made it to the NYT bestseller list. So while Loren Michael says that the title probably wasn't beneficial for Dawkins personally, I have to disagree. It sold some books, and guarantees that Dawkins is going to be remembered as an ideological crusader and not just a brilliant scientist.

You're a smart guy Feral.

But apparently not smart enough to just check that checkbox are you some kind of goose or something I'm the goddamn batman

Senjutsu on
    edited March 2010

What's your take, then?

That without a divine lawgiver there can be no natural right or wrong, which is what I define morals as

so basically, there's no inherent moral rules anywhere

there's no thing you can physically do that you for some other reason can't

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited March 2010

Barely.

I play zerg.

I...hm.

I thought you were talking about Supreme Commander 2.

Woops.

Nostregar on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    desc wrote: »
    my pants are restricting me. I want to take them off but feel that it will get me fired!

what should i do [chat]!?

Compromise. Just pull them halfway down for some fresh air.

they are restricting my ankles!

pull them halfway up

jeez, must we do all the thinking around here?

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2010
    At this point I think I might as well change my sig to SC2=Starcraft 2, SupCom2=Supreme Commander 2

Inquisitor on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    @Feral: I, as someone opposed to humanism, am interested in hearing your definition of "humanism."

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

What's your take, then?

That without a divine lawgiver there can be no natural right or wrong, which is what I define morals as

some people might argue that

being moral because you want a reward (heaven) or are afraid of being punished (hell) is inferior to being moral because it's the right thing to do

skippydumptruck on
    edited March 2010
    I believe a combination of sustainability and empathy is a sufficient basis for moral guidelines.

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010
    I just realised I almost never use the word atheist to refer to myself in speech

also I am not a poet so all the trochaic heptameter I know is gravemind quotes

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

This is a brilliant idea. You just need mod support to infract anybody who breaks the metre.

Aroused Bull on
    edited March 2010
    Ugh, no, Haikus are awful (in English), just stop.

Inquisitor on
    edited March 2010

This is a brilliant idea. You just need mod support to infract anybody who breaks the metre.

This should be a new rule for all religion threads. As soon as a mod comes in and says "religion thread rules apply here," it is on!

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010

What's your take, then?

It's been awhile since I read it, but I want to say that you and Dawkins might be talking apples and oranges. Evolution here would describe the origins of human propensity to act in a way that we would call moral, or at least altruistic.

TL DR on
    edited March 2010

I see you have an opinion.

I have a different one.

Nostregar on
    edited March 2010
    I believe a combination of sustainability and empathy is a sufficient basis for moral guidelines.

If by moral guidelines you just mean Nice Rules To Follow If We're Gonna Have A Good Time Upon This Earth then yeah, sure

but if you mean like, these things are evil and these are good, then I disagree

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited March 2010

Inqui your uptight
    Relax, man, smoke a blunt, dude
    Smoke your cares away

Silas Brown on
    edited March 2010
    Hrm, my tracker is giving away invites.

TL DR on
    edited March 2010
    Smashing Pumpkins Say
    God is empty just like me
    atheism now

Senjutsu on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Inqui your uptight
    Smoke your cares away

yes let us talk about inqui's uptight relax

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2010

I see you have an opinion.

I have a different one.

Look man, why take a form that was designed around a language that is nothing like ours and suits our language terribly when there are tons of forms that suit our language swimmingly?

Inquisitor on
    edited March 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Smashing Pumpkins Say
    God is empty just like me
    atheism now

Oh god it's combining two awful things into one.
    I do not like the smashing pumpkins

Inquisitor on
    edited March 2010

Inqui your uptight
    Smoke your cares away

yes let us talk about inqui's uptight relax

more like gag reflex

Senjutsu on
    edited March 2010

If by moral guidelines you just mean Nice Rules To Follow If We're Gonna Have A Good Time Upon This Earth then yeah, sure

but if you mean like, these things are evil and these are good, then I disagree

So you're arguing against Objectivism, basically.

I can get behind that.
    :winky:

Nostregar on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's not for the haikus, Inq. It's for the hilarity. Especially when people get worked up and try to get really vehement.

Aroused Bull on
    edited March 2010
    Smashing Pumpkins are hella awesome.

Especially Adore.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2010
    It's not for the haikus, Inq. It's for the hilarity. Especially when people get worked up and try to get really vehement.

But wouldn't it be funnier to try to force their anger into sonnets?

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.