As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] - Where strange fantasy jargon and Leona Lewis collide.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked all the Lightning/Hope sections of the early chapters, and their section in the forest area is when I actually started to like the game and characters.

The Sazh/Vanille stuff was some of the most boring shit I've ever experienced, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've enjoyed most of the game. The only reason why I wouldn't replay it again is because I rarely, rarely replay JRPGs. They're just so... long! Actually, I don't think I've ever replayed a JRPG before.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    For reference, if anyone wants to avoid farming in Chapter 11, there are two fights in Chapter 12 (I forget the exact area), but its the area in the shape of two circles with paths following the inner and outer rings as well as passing between the two circles. The first two-three encounters you face are a pack of Vampires facing off against PSICOM. They don't spot you when you come up, so guaranteed pre-emptive strike, one side dies quick to instant-stagger and half health, the other isn't too far off as long as you use your AoE spells.

I think in the course of about a minute or minute and a half per fight you get about 15k CP. Overall its not as effective as staying in Chapter 11, since I don't believe they respawn naturally, but its an option. You do face a couple of really hard fights before reaching that point too. Plus PSICOM drop Credit/Incentive chips and Vampires drop Cie'th Tears and Tears of Woe. Cie'th Tears might not be worth much, but Tears of Woe rock for low value weapons and accessories.

nessin on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Title of the thread compels me to say I feel "My Hands" was used perfectly in the game and I don't understand the irrational hate for Leona Lewis... but then again I'm not a person who is immersed in pop culture... or even pays attention to it in the slightest... so this is the first time I've even heard of her.

However I felt the song was used great in the game and fit the atmosphere perfectly.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    JimR wrote: »
    There IS NO STORY. No arc.

This is objectively false.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bahamut spoiler
    I dont have Genji Gloves yet, but Bahamut can break the 99.999 damage limit by himself, 999% stagger on an Adamanchelid, Mega Flare level 3 hit for 350.000 damage roughly, "Limit Breaker achieved" yeah with a bit of overkill :mrgreen:
    (you need a single hit that does more than 99.999 damage for it) My last attempt gave shitty 99.967, aggravating !

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd bet money that if "My Hands" was in Japanese and sung by someone no one has heard about, but was essentially the same song, it wouldn't get close to the amount of hate.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'd bet money that if "My Hands" was in Japanese and sung by someone no one has heard about, but was essentially the same song, it wouldn't get close to the amount of hate.

You mean the Japanese song that was composed specifically for the game that got replaced with a random pre-existing American song in the Western version?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, the first 10 chapters were awesome.

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:
    The game really builds up the situation for all the character, really gives you a sense of how hopeless their situation is as every possible avenue of completion is shut off, and it's slowly dawning to them that what they have to do is complete their focus, how horrible as it may be, or spend the rest of eternity as a Ci'eth

The parts with Sazh and Vanille was wonderfully crafted. Especially at the end of the story arc were Sazh came to realization that the reason his life was destroyed, why his own son was turned into a tool to seek and destroy him, was because of Vanille. Watching his sole reason to continue living turn into crystal, and ultimately his will to live, was one of the most powerful scence in JRPG history.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Female pop singers are often nerd rage buttons for some unfathomable reason.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Meh, I'd say it's technically false but qualitatively true. For the vast majority of the playtime so far, it's been nothing but random flashbacks that form some incoherent exposition for the different characters that sounds like plot point MadLibs, assuming you are able to extract the point from all the emo-ing about that everyone does. Even after it's been extracted from the tortured and slow story-telling of the gratuitous cutscenes, the premise is convoluted and more than a touch trite. There isn't even a tangible goal for the characters for much of the game. The main plot line doesn't even come into focus until the end of Chapter 10. The overall quality of the story of this game is by far the shittiest I've ever seen. The plot itself isn't really much more horribad than FF10, but the storytelling is orders of magnitude worse.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It irks me to no end that you can't have two COM's attacking the same target. Thats the stupidest fucking thing urgh

Topia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Topia wrote: »
    It irks me to no end that you can't have two COM's attacking the same target. Thats the stupidest fucking thing urgh
    You can when there's only one target. Bust out the COM/COM/RAV (or even COM/COM/COM) for staggered bosses

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Meh, I'd say it's technically false but qualitatively true. For the vast majority of the playtime so far, it's been nothing but random flashbacks that form some incoherent exposition for the different characters that sounds like plot point MadLibs, assuming you are able to extract the point from all the emo-ing about that everyone does. Even after it's been extracted from the tortured and slow story-telling of the gratuitous cutscenes, the premise is convoluted and more than a touch trite. There isn't even a tangible goal for the characters for much of the game. The main plot line doesn't even come into focus until the end of Chapter 10. The overall quality of the story of this game is by far the shittiest I've ever seen. The plot itself isn't really much more horribad than FF10, but the storytelling is orders of magnitude worse.

/shrug

I really enjoy the characters and the story so far, and the story hasn't "come into focus" yet (chapter 9). I feel like it's a matter of preference, really. To say that there is no story and that the characters have no arcs seems like a pretty silly statement to me.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

/shrug

I really enjoy the characters and the story so far, and the story hasn't "come into focus" yet (chapter 9). I feel like it's a matter of preference, really. To say that there is no story and that the characters have no arcs seems like a pretty silly statement to me.

Yea it's my thoughts. It's nice to have a game where the protagonist isn't sure what to do. They are just trying to stay alive, which is a perfectably acceptable thing to do, I'd say. They have goals, but for once it isn't OMG THIS GUY IS EEEEVIL LETS KIL HIM AND AVENGE MY PARENTS

Topia on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:
    The game really builds up the situation for all the character, really gives you a sense of how hopeless their situation is as every possible avenue of completion is shut off, and it's slowly dawning to them that what they have to do is complete their focus, how horrible as it may be, or spend the rest of eternity as a Ci'eth

The parts with Sazh and Vanille was wonderfully crafted. Especially at the end of the story arc were Sazh came to realization that the reason his life was destroyed, why his own son was turned into a tool to seek and destroy him, was because of Vanille. Watching his sole reason to continue living turn into crystal, and ultimately his will to live, was one of the most powerful scence in JRPG history.

Man, I really agree
    The whole Nautilus Park was by far the most emotionally powerful sequence I've ever experienced in an RPG, perhaps one of the top emotional moments in a game for me at all. I actually felt something there.

I think that the characters are all great and I've grown to love them all. They really developed, you know? They all ended up with more than one dimension to them. I mean, I agree, you end up spending 12 hours disliking most of the characters, but this is so you can see them grow up. It really worked for me.

Winky on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Topia wrote: »

I'm not convinced that you'd be better off with 2 COMs attacking the same target as opposed to a COM and a RAV. Yes, COMs deal more base damage than a RAV, but RAVs build up the chain bonus much faster than COMs, and in the end the base damage isn't quite as important as the multiplier. If your target is unstaggered, then you'd rather have COM/RAV or even RAV/RAV to push it into staggered, and if your target is staggered, then you'd rather have a RAV beating on it to push the multiplier as high as possible while your COM beats on it with high base damage. I haven't kept track of exact numbers, but basically, having a RAV around to boost multipliers and get targets staggered faster drastically increases the effectiveness of your COM's damage output, and I'm pretty sure the amount of the increase is bigger than the increase in base damage done by a second COM versus the RAV.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fuck you Hectoncheir. Fuck you in your stupid ass.

I know how I'm supposed to this fight but it feels like you have to get the tming of paradigms perfect or you just get reamed.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have really been liking the story so far. The characterization is by far the best in the series. The plot is fine in the first half of the game. Light and Hope go off to kill Eden, Sazh and Vanille run the other way. What else would you expect them to do when they are basically fugitives? And I really like that there is no one main mustache twirling, evil cackling antagonist.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Fuck you Hectoncheir. Fuck you in your stupid ass.

I know how I'm supposed to this fight but it feels like you have to get the tming of paradigms perfect or you just get reamed.
    If you haven't already, invest a few points in Vanille's Medic tree -- the very first node is another ATB slot, which is hugely helpful for that fight. If you have enough to pick up Curasa, too, do that.

For the fight itself, stick to Sen/Sab and Sen/Med -- spam Deprotect 99% of the time and switch to Med + Curasa/CUre when Fang is in the red

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Avicus wrote: »
    I have really been liking the story so far. The characterization is by far the best in the series. The plot is fine in the first half of the game. Light and Hope go off to kill Eden, Sazh and Vanille run the other way. What else would you expect them to do when they are basically fugitives? And I really like that there is no one main mustache twirling, evil cackling antagonist.

I don't know.

It surprised to no hell that in FFVI, that the joke character all of a sudden became a damn near celestia being and completely raped the world. Of course, before then it was always "The evil Empire! The evil Empire! Destroy Destroy!". Maybe that's just why it made Kefka such a memorial antagonist.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

You mean the Japanese song that was composed specifically for the game that got replaced with a random pre-existing American song in the Western version?

English song. English. You can't blame this one on us Yanks :P .

Honestly though, the song doesn't bug me. As far as I know its only used during the credits sequence. It may have bugged me if it was used during some story-heavy cutscene just because its a song that I've heard outside of the game world before, but its not.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ochu spoilers
    Does anyone know what the hell Sunpetal is ? I can see it as his rare drop, but after 3 kills he hasnt dropped it once, and I have no idea if its any good really.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Avicus wrote: »

I don't know.

It surprised to no hell that in FFVI, that the joke character all of a sudden became a damn near celestia being and completely raped the world. Of course, before then it was always "The evil Empire! The evil Empire! Destroy Destroy!". Maybe that's just why it made Kefka such a memorial antagonist.

I'm not saying that antagonists like that are bad. I'm just saying that an antagonist like that in this game would have really screwed it up.

I am also loving the soundtrack. Its fantastic. I'm downloading some tracks right now from Itunes!

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:

And then right after that you beat up a transformer a ride off in a car.... The end of that summon fight completely and utterly destroyed everything and anything that scene had built up to and single handedly proves my apprehension for the summons to be right.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:

And then right after that you beat up a transformer a ride off in a car.... The end of that summon fight completely and utterly destroyed everything and anything that scene had built up to and single handedly proves my apprehension for the summons to be right.

I have no fucking clue what you're talking about.
    The Eidolons exist to steer the L'cie back onto the right track.

When one of the party members are about to lose their way or are making a fatal mistake... the Eidolons show up and force them to overcome that weakness to survive and give them strength.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:

When one of the party members are about to lose their way or are making a fatal mistake... the Eidolons show up and force them to overcome that weakness to survive and give them strength.
    I'm saying you have a totally emotional scene like that and then the battle ends with the thing TRANSFORMING INTO A CAR THAT SAZH GETS INTO AND DRIFTS RIGHT AWAY, and I swear I saw him smiling in it. I can see using that animation for the battles after you get the summons, but jesus if that didn't ruin anything that scene had started

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So while all of you are playing FF13 and enjoying your self, I am quite thorughaly loving 5.

"Wait a cotton picking moment! That was a quick decision to ditch me!"

"Served! Yeah with mashed potatoes and cheese!"

Combined the hilarious (cheesy) writing with the really really fun job system (Two handed Berserker any one?) and I don't think I can even contemplate finishing 3.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:

I'm saying you have a totally emotional scene like that and then the battle ends with the thing TRANSFORMING INTO A CAR THAT SAZH GETS INTO AND DRIFTS RIGHT AWAY, and I swear I saw him smiling in it. I can see using that animation for the battles after you get the summons, but jesus if that didn't ruin anything that scene had started
    You're right, it didn't fit, and that was an unfortunate oversight. Didn't totally ruin the scene for me, though.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:

I disagree, I think its a big nitpick to get bothered because you went from a sad cutscene into a life or death fight, then towards the end of that fight the character isn't crying.

It didn't bother me at all and I wasn't struck with any sense of the scene being ruined. I was more glad his Eidolon showed up and snapped him out of that funk for the most part.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally hit chapter 11 and am paralyzed by the amount of open sky and ground around me. I only did 2 mark missions and headed to the story marker, I think I'll go back and do a few more.

captaink on
  • Options
    nessinnessin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Winky wrote: »

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:

You're right, it didn't fit, and that was an unfortunate oversight. Didn't totally ruin the scene for me, though.
    I hate to say it, but my first thought at that scene was... What the hell? A flaming car for the older gentleman of the group? Geeze, is someone at Square going through a mid-life crisis?

nessin on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Can anyone find the song that played during The Fifth Arc for me? I can't find it anywhere on the internet.

EDIT:
    Nevermind, found it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIuOeJ5gGsc&feature=related

Winky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Chapter 1-10 spoilers:

I disagree, I think its a big nitpick to get bothered because you went from a sad cutscene into a life or death fight, then towards the end of that fight the character isn't crying.

It didn't bother me at all and I wasn't struck with any sense of the scene being ruined. I was more glad his Eidolon showed up and snapped him out of that funk for the most part.
    Except then DIRECTLY after being apparently really cool and in his very own new car it goes right back to the emotional scene practically where it started with him aiming his gun at Vanille and then aiming at himself.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The jazz music that plays during some Sazh sections is awesome. Can't Catch a Break is easily one of the best FF tracks ever made -- if only because it's fuckin' jazz and this series never has jazz

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just needed some dating minigames and we could call it Persona 5.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I was kind of upset that Tycho didn't like the story/characters, but then I remembered that he considers the pacing and story of Final Fantasy "3 deserts to the next nuclear rock" XII to be perfect.

So, I'm in chapter 11, and I've been getting my ass kicked, but I switched up my opening Paradigm to Hope-SYN, Light-COM, Snow-SEN. Hope throws up the relevant buffs, and then I can go into asskicking mode. Bravery and the right kind of elemental attack boost into Aggression tears shit apart.

Also, for people controlling their Synergist. Did you know you can hold right over the abilities button to get "Repeat"? It's really useful for quickly choosing buffs that go on everyone, like Protect/Shell.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just needed some dating minigames and we could call it Persona 5.

there's not enough jazz for that. too much orchestra for a persona game

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The whole soundtrack is just fantastic. Maybe the best in the series. The battle theme is the best.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm in chapter 9 and found the guys who drop lots of chips. Is it worth it for me to farm these guys for as long as I can stand, or would I not really regret it later if I just moved on now?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy