As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2]: Sorry guys, I won't be the one renewing this thread.

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vortex is so bad. If they use it on your army, just run the rest of your army into it, then your whole army pops out at once and it's like they never used it. Bleah.

Lemming on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is the AOE of recall a lot bigger now or what. it's called mass recall right.

iowa on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2010
    Lemming wrote: »
    Vortex is so bad. If they use it on your army, just run the rest of your army into it, then your whole army pops out at once and it's like they never used it. Bleah.

i guess it has limited use for base-rape or something?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I mean I guess. It also allows you to get some free hits while their army is running into it, and they're clumped after so you could get some storms in. But it's nowhere near as good as Stasis was.

Lemming on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Part of me wants to question the notion of reapers as only for harass. They have 5 more HP than marines until you upgrade marines, move much faster than marines (especially upgraded) and do 2 more damage than marines per volley against units with 0 armor, and do 12 damage more than marines per volley against light units with zero armor. Against roaches they do 4 damage a volley just like marines, but move faster and still out range the roaches. Of course, doing the same damage while costing 50 gas more isn't anything to brag about.

Perhaps that its simply that hellions do the anti-light job better, but, it's always good to question our idea that a unit is only good for harass. Reapers are perhaps the best ground based answer terran has for immortals. And reapers paired with medivacs sound like possibly a very tough mobile attack force.

Edit: Looking at the wiki Terran has tons of upgrades for units in the campaign only that would be absolutely amazing if they showed up in the game. Reapers in the campaign can be upgraded to have +2 range, for example. Reapers with that range + speed would be a very hard to deal combat unit for some armies with proper micros. Another example campaign only upgrade is hellions leaving a damage over time with their attack, this would make them such an amazing harassment unit in multiplayer.

I don't get why they would put upgrades like that in the campaign if it's supposed to help train for multiplayer. Unless they're doing something crazy DoW2 style.

Zek on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just got 6 pooled! And I was Zerg! My 2 lings didn't stand a chance against his 6, but my Queen was having none of it and rallied the workers to avenge them. A spine crawler and a few lings of my own with the Queen for support moved down to my natural expansion and held off his next wave while I got some roaches. I didn't have time to scout him out after missing my first guess with my overlord, so my counterattack with Roaches was delayed and he got some Hydra's out, but I overran him with Roaches anyway. Being as it was my last placement game I'm glad I not only won, but made an epic* comeback for placement...into Bronze. I was expecting copper, so that was a nice surprise.

[tiny]*Epic for me, anyway...[/tiny]

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    I don't get why they would put upgrades like that in the campaign if it's supposed to help train for multiplayer. Unless they're doing something crazy DoW2 style.

The campaign isn't supposed to be training for multiplayer at all. There are units in the campaign that don't even exist in multiplayer. I prefer it this way anyway. Why try to balance the single player campaign experience and multiplayer around the same set of units/abilities?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, the Challenges or whatever they call them are supposed to prepare people for multiplayer. May as well throw the kitchen sink into single.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LZgamer actually tried out an early reaper harass strat in a TvT today. It would have worked too except he completely forgot about the Reaper speed upgrade xD But he still managed to destroy the other T's early army, the guy's factory twice and a few other assorted buildings.

Then he got steamrolled when he couldn't base deny. Reapers are really good against MM but get rolled by tanks.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Id' love to see someone run their entire army into a vortex that is then nuked in a 2v2/ffa. Alternatively, do not do this if there are Templar around.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Id' love to see someone run their entire army into a vortex that is then nuked in a 2v2/ffa. Alternatively, do not do this if there are Templar around.

I saw some videos that did this very thing. i think thy were posted in the last thread.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Well there is a nuke/vortex video, but the victems don't run in their entire army in an attempt to negate the effect of vortex.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I lost today due to allowing my opponent expand early. I know there are ways to handle early expansion, but let's assume you screw that up.

What can you do when your enemy is ahead of you in economy?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Destroy his workers/his expansions? :P

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I lost today due to allowing my opponent expand early. I know there are ways to handle early expansion, but let's assume you screw that up.

Depends how hard you committed to that initial screw up. If you were just trying to harass a bit but didn't get any done, then you're probably not too far behind. If you did an all-in type build then you're fucked.

If you know the player and you think you're better than him (Lemming) then you should play for the long game, because as the game goes on longer it should favour you more and more. Things like worker harass can also get you back into the game.

If you're so far behind that that isn't an option then you should follow up your cheese with more cheese :P That could be using a cheesy instant game-winning unit like a dark templar or an unexpected timing attack.

Basically if you fucked up you should follow it up by taking a huge risk with a big payoff. If you only messed up a bit you have other options.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I won last night against a plat terran after having my main destroyed.

Felt good.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm going to laugh when Dangerisk joins the SC2 party six months later than everybody else and Lemming smokes him every game

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Drag wrote: »
    I'm going to laugh when Dangerisk joins the SC2 party six months later than everybody else and Lemming smokes him every game

How dare you!

This is my new sig.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Drag wrote: »

Lemming maybe. Everyone else? Nah. SC1 skills carry over very well, and it won't take a good SC1 player that long to learn enough new strats and unit matchups to beat someone who isn't as obsessive about SC.
    I had this beta since the first week, I play mostly on the weekend and I haven't played SC in like 9 years. With my 2-3 weeks of experience lemming beat me after having the game for like a day.

TheStig on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    right, you lot will be glad to know that mikiya and I valiantly defended PA honour in 5 2v2 games.
    (there was a 6th game but we lost that).

EN TARU ADUN!

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

Depends how hard you committed to that initial screw up. If you were just trying to harass a bit but didn't get any done, then you're probably not too far behind. If you did an all-in type build then you're fucked.

If you know the player and you think you're better than him (Lemming) then you should play for the long game, because as the game goes on longer it should favour you more and more. Things like worker harass can also get you back into the game.

If you're so far behind that that isn't an option then you should follow up your cheese with more cheese :P That could be using a cheesy instant game-winning unit like a dark templar or an unexpected timing attack.

Basically if you fucked up you should follow it up by taking a huge risk with a big payoff. If you only messed up a bit you have other options.

My big take away from that game was to always, always build cannons near the minerals to prevent mutas harass.

Mutas are just so god damn mobile.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looks like we are all going to be playing SC2 on the PS3

http://kotaku.com/5491493/sony-says-playstation-move-precise-enough-to-play-starcraft

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Playing Starcraft at a competent level with just a mouse and a couple buttons would be unbelievably hard.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I know you can play SC using the Wii remote, because I did it once. Not amazing, but leaps and bounds ahead of joysticks.

Edit: You used the joystick for the hotkeys! Since there were only 9 locations on a grid each direction corresponded to a button, and it worked pretty well.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Playing Starcraft at a competent level with just a mouse and a couple buttons would be unbelievably hard.

I beat Lemming with just a mouse, it wasn't so bad.

But I'm sure when that article says you can use it to play Starcraft they mean you can "play" Starcraft but not actually play.

Dangerisk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

...why?

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dangerisk wrote: »

I beat Lemming with just a mouse, it wasn't so bad.

Dangerisk only makes fun of me because he loves me.

right? :(

Lemming on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

This comment on the article just about sums it up for me:
    Here's an idea - if we're all buying new peripherals for our game consoles so we can play stuff like Starcraft, why not buy a new keyboard and mouse?

I mean, it seems strange to me that these guys would point out how you can use this new thing to play a mouse-based game almost as well as you can with a mouse! Oh, provided you have a tripod, of course.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, watching all these livestreams (particularly of terran and protoss players)...what the hell can protoss do in a PvT matchup? Because in every single game I've seen they get absolutely raped. I think this has something to do with the warp gate change? But it always seems like Terran can just mass MM early game and just win.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Man, watching all these livestreams (particularly of terran and protoss players)...what the hell can protoss do in a PvT matchup? Because in every single game I've seen they get absolutely raped. I think this has something to do with the warp gate change? But it always seems like Terran can just mass MM early game and just win.

I've been wondering that myself, especially since they were my early beta favourites.

EDIT: Mothership shouldn't have gotten nerfed. Then this might have at least been less of an issue. Maybe.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah it's pretty mind blowing to see M&M balls survive multiple storms with some nice micro.

I'm finding the animation of psi storm pretty confusing. I understand that there's supposed to be a target animation that plays before it starts doing damage but i'm not sure when that ends and when the hurt starts. I guess the lightning part is the hurt and the little swirl thing is the target cursor.

I never thought I might say that psi storm maybe needs a buff?

iowa on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

I've been wondering that myself, especially since they were my early beta favourites.

EDIT: Mothership shouldn't have gotten nerfed. Then this might have at least been less of an issue. Maybe.

I don't think Mothership affects early game Protoss though. They can still just waltz in with a huge ball of MM, mainly because P doesn't have an army early on.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    iowa wrote: »
    yeah it's pretty mind blowing to see M&M balls survive multiple storms with some nice micro.

I'm finding the animation of psi storm pretty confusing. I understand that there's supposed to be a target animation that plays before it starts doing damage but i'm not sure when that ends and when the hurt starts. I guess the lightning part is the hurt and the little swirl thing is the target cursor.

I never thought I might say that psi storm maybe needs a buff?

I think it's the stim. Psi storm is still doing damage to the balls, but terran can just move so fast under stim that it really just negates most of the damage.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    liquibition vod is up on day9's stream if anyone missed it. the games aren't especially good but some interesting insight on PvZ builds.

http://www.livestream.com/striderdoom/video?clipId=pla_af57b996-a702-4a2a-bd47-66f7f09dc386

best part is this quote though. "there's no imbalance in starcraft 2, only bad players.

iowa on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    iowa wrote: »

best part is this quote though. "there's no imbalance in starcraft 2, only bad players.

This is a pretty ridiculous thing to say seeing as the game is still in beta. It's probably more balanced than most RTS games are well after release, which is certainly saying something, but to say there are no imbalances is kind of... well, wrong.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    well yeah it's just typical of his sense of humor. I doubt he literally thinks that. I think it's reasonable to say that a lot of balance talk coming from beta players needs to be taken with a grain of salt though.

iowa on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Anyone switch races from their Starcraft 1 mains? Or has everyone just picked up their old mains?

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I switched from not having a main race but going Protoss more often than not to Terran and it feels good.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thors should be able to fastball special units.

Terran to zerg for me.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    From what I can see of the new psi storm, I hate the christ out of it. It's very, very underwhelming and it turns the great terror of the 'toss into a pathetic, mewling thing. And all they need to do is fix the animation.

My reasoning:

First, if any of this is wrong, my theory's shot, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct here. Psi storm has a "warmup" animation, then a "damage" animation. That big white swirly bullshit is the warmup, then the static bit is the damage. The problem is that the warmup looks AWESOME like it's raping people, but then it doesn't do any damage. So by the time the warmup is done and nobody's health has moved, you feel like nothing's happened.

The warmup animation really needs to change to something that LOOKS distinctly like a warmup, not the current "I'm fucking everything in a 100-foot radius" graphic they have now.

Imperfect on
This discussion has been closed.