As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2]: Sorry guys, I won't be the one renewing this thread.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I stuck with Zerg.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't really understand how psi storm looks more awesome than it feels.

Have you tried storming hydras? Oh the blood. So good.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've seen one replay where a toss had a fair number of HTs and chained psi storm, casting it wherever his opponent's army moved. Seemed rather effective there!

It is certainly quite the adjustment from the rape machine that was the SC1 version though.

Slicer on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »
    From what I can see of the new psi storm, I hate the christ out of it. It's very, very underwhelming and it turns the great terror of the 'toss into a pathetic, mewling thing. And all they need to do is fix the animation.

My reasoning:

First, if any of this is wrong, my theory's shot, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct here. Psi storm has a "warmup" animation, then a "damage" animation. That big white swirly bullshit is the warmup, then the static bit is the damage. The problem is that the warmup looks AWESOME like it's raping people, but then it doesn't do any damage. So by the time the warmup is done and nobody's health has moved, you feel like nothing's happened.

The warmup animation really needs to change to something that LOOKS distinctly like a warmup, not the current "I'm fucking everything in a 100-foot radius" graphic they have now.
    You mean the swirling clouds?

I don't know I don't think swirling clouds really look like they should be doing damage.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Don't really understand how psi storm looks more awesome than it feels.

Have you tried storming hydras? Oh the blood. So good.

As a zerg player I'm fine with psi storm never getting buffed ever. I suppose the animation could be clearer to signify when damage is being dealt, but I haven't had too much of a problem with that.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How does one get bumped up into the next league? I've been in the top of my division for a couple days but I'm still in the same league.

WhiteShark on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If psionic storm is going to be a damage over time there shouldn't be a wind up animation. If there is a wind up animation it should do all its damage instantly after the wind up (the damage might need to be scaled back slightly, of course). Psionic storm does less damage than it used to do in SC1 and now has a visual delay before starting? Why?

If they are going to have the spell do a wind up maybe it should slow or something. Compared to the hunter seeker missile it is a joke.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SaboSabo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    How does one get bumped up into the next league? I've been in the top of my division for a couple days but I'm still in the same league.

Ive been wondeirng the same thing. Ive been stuck at #2 in silver 2v2random now for like a week, and no change. I dont get it :?

Sabo on
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    If psionic storm is going to be a damage over time there shouldn't be a wind up animation. If there is a wind up animation it should do all its damage instantly after the wind up (the damage might need to be scaled back slightly, of course). Psionic storm does less damage than it used to do in SC1 and now has a visual delay before starting? Why?

If they are going to have the spell do a wind up maybe it should slow or something. Compared to the hunter seeker missile it is a joke.

Since it's infinitely times more easy to use compared to SC1 with smart casting, tabbing through groups and unlimited selection. There's also the tendency for units to clump more now in SC2 compared to SC1 so you're likely to hit more units at once.

Though I haven't played with it yet so perhaps it does need to be improved in some way. :)

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It seems like the worst of the races Area of effect spells to me. Sure the hunter seeker missile costs 50 more energy but it does 100 damage to the templars 80 and does it instantly. And yes you can run away from a hunter seeker missile but it chases you for 15-20 seconds depending of it its upgraded or not, and you really can't afford to run your away for 15-20 seconds every time someone hucks a hunter seeker your way. Neural parasite on the other hand does less damage but it takes effect instantly and roots the enemies in place. It does less damage than storm but the damage is basically unavoidable and the units not being able to move is huge.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    supershaft777supershaft777 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    woah you are one awesome internet stalker! i cant believe you found that post i made 6 years ago. i had completely forgotten about it!
    fact is, i will always speak my mind and point out what i think is wrong with games, no matter what you guys say! forgive me for thinking critically.

ive recently been enlightened... i have much better things to do than 1. play games (which is why always complained about em, pointing out what pissed me off instead of just enjoying the game for what it is) and 2. go on your lame forums and argue with a coalition of blind, timid, limited fat fanboys like yourselves!

but hey,

its been a pleasure!

P.S. to the guy who said ill never post again, you fail at foresight.
    you should stick to button mashing

so much for internet socializing

supershaft777 on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does Psi Storm stack yet?

oh hey mr 10 pages ago

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, that's classic. It's like 1998 all over again.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bla bla bla
    1067629-cool_story_bro_super.gif

In other news: Psi storm is a bit lame compared to hunter seekers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hunter seekers toned down a lot as players realize how damn amazing they are.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »

oh hey mr 10 pages ago

I believe Psi Storm can stack in SC2 but due to the delay in it taking effect plus the fact that it is a damage over time makes stacking it seem risky as there is a really good chance of the enemy just walking out of it. In a zerg/protoss 2v2 having an infestor root units and then a templar drop storm on top of them sounds like an absolutely devastating 1-2 punch however.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

oh hey mr 10 pages ago

I believe Psi Storm can stack in SC2 but due to the delay in it taking effect plus the fact that it is a damage over time makes stacking it seem risky as there is a really good chance of the enemy just walking out of it. In a zerg/protoss 2v2 having an infestor root units and then a templar drop storm on top of them sounds like an absolutely devastating 1-2 punch however.

Tossrock and I have a plan to try this, but we haven't had the opportunity yet.

TheStig on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

oh hey mr 10 pages ago

Google says that Psi Storm doesn't stack.

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Garthor wrote: »

So it's just flat out worse than its SC1 counterpart in every way? That's...lame.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

So it's just flat out worse than its SC1 counterpart in every way? That's...lame.

I was under the impression that Sci Storm didn't stack in Starcraft 1.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

well, units do have more of a tendency to bunch up in SC2. You saw that pvz video with all the templars right?

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tarantio wrote: »

That is the correct impression. It also did more damage in SC1 and started doing damage instantly. I thought, maybe in exchange for doing delayed damage and less damage it could stack in SC2.

Edit: Stig: Nope, didn't see it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Wait what? SC1 psi-storm didn't stack either.

edit: alright, nevermind

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't have the beta but in replays I've seen it in play and it looks strong.*

* but ghosts.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Reapers were produced from the merc haven at BlizzCon 2007,[9] using a different technique than other terran infantry units. The haven housed up to four reapers. The entire supply could be bought at once, with the supply recovering over time. Reapers could be built very quickly. However, this was later changed with reapers being built at the barracks like other infantry unit.[10]"

Aww, lame. That sounds like an awesome mechanic to be able to get out a good small sized harassment team quickly.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Tarantio wrote: »

That is the correct impression. It also did more damage in SC1 and started doing damage instantly. I thought, maybe in exchange for doing delayed damage and less damage it could stack in SC2.

Edit: Stig: Nope, didn't see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oseRVPx-9X0

oh and psi storm stacked at the beginning of the sc1 beta, it was the most ridiculous thing. Like everything died in 2 seconds.

TheStig on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He types like a child too. The total package!

Edit: So apparently it does not stack. And this thread moves fast!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    He types like a child too. The total package!

Edit: So apparently it does not stack. And this thread moves fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpLHj10GuHM

Edit: Damn your edit!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Not really worse considering the units it's used against and the general unit behaviour and pathfinding in SC2 compared to SC1. Think about it. Hydras are a higher tier, and storm still rapes them. If storm was the same in sc2 as it did in sc1 hydras would be completely useless in zvp.

In fact, if this warmup period is real enough, I can see people using it to their advantage, being able to time retreats better and protect vulnerable gaps in their formations.

In other news, baby takes down jaedong in straight sets (!!!!) to take his ro.16 spot. The games are most notable for 2 things: jaedong managing to get a lurker stuck on a map doodad in the first game, completely boning his all in 2 hatch lurker build, and in the second baby does some things with marines that just make me wish and wish again for medics.

check the 10 minute mark of set 2

That was the real strength of medics. Having these tough little walls you could protect your marines with just made them infinitely more useful.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I guess it's also kind of fair if HT have the worst AoE because they can turn into archons when they are out of energy.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    But infestors turn into dead when they are out of energy, game breakign!

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    infestors turn into dead no matter what.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know, I just had a thought:

What would happen if you Neural Parasited an Infestor, and then used that Infestor to Neural Parasite something else? Or is this avoided by Infestors being immune to Neural Parasite?

Garthor on
  • Options
    supershaft777supershaft777 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    bla bla bla

In other news: Psi storm is a bit lame compared to hunter seekers, but I wouldn't be surprised to see hunter seekers toned down a lot as players realize how damn amazing they are.

thats ALL you got??

wow im amazed at the trite reptition

wtf is wrong with you people??? SERIOUSLY this is reaching EPIC LEVELS OF UTTERLY DISTURBING how TRITE you all behave. what kind of slaves and drones repeat the same sh!t thats been said before as some blanket of security of whatnot... god why did i even check this sh!t...

DURRR PSI STORM BLAH CLUSTERF*CK CIRCLEJERK INTERNET CYBERNONSENSE

JUST DIE IN A FIRE ALL OF YOU PLEASE

TO THE GAS CHAMBERS WITH YOU ALL

WORTHLESS GRAINS OF SAND

supershaft777 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    u mad bro

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Only run away afaik.

Slicer on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bla bla bla

thats ALL you got??

wtf is wrong with you people??? SERIOUSLY this is reaching EPIC LEVELS OF UTTERLY DISTURBING how TRITE you all behave. what kind of slaves and drones repeat the same sh!t thats been said before as some blanket of security of whatnot... god why did i even check this sh!t...

WORTHLESS GRAINS OF SAND

Where can I find a banhammer?

Topia on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    bla bla bla

thats ALL you got??

WORTHLESS GRAINS OF SAND

u mad?

edit: Damnit NoGreatName, why must I not refresh the page before posting

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He knows Toons Fu.

Monsty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bla bla bla

bla bla bla
    super-cool-story-bro.png

EDIT: Damn I keep getting totp here.
    "Reapers were produced from the merc haven at BlizzCon 2007,[9] using a different technique than other terran infantry units. The haven housed up to four reapers. The entire supply could be bought at once, with the supply recovering over time. Reapers could be built very quickly. However, this was later changed with reapers being built at the barracks like other infantry unit.[10]"

Aww, lame. That sounds like an awesome mechanic to be able to get out a good small sized harassment team quickly.

Wonder what made them change it up. This seems a neat way to balance your harassing force with your actual army. Perhaps it worked out too well and they needed to make players choose between building an army faster or doing fast econ damage?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    man that 4 part PvZ youtube was rad

Seeing psi storm eat those hydras was so satisfying, and the Broodlord showdown was epic as heck

Tossrock on
    sig.png
This discussion has been closed.