As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alcohol] II: This Time, It's DRUNKER

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Everyone knows that the Sidecar is where it is at.

1 part Brandy
    1 part Triple Sec (I like Grand Marnier)
    1 part Lemon Juice

Serve with a sugared rim and a lemon twist

Yeah, the sidecar is Frankie's favorite. I generally dial up the brandy proportion to about double of what you have it. Been experimenting with replacing half the triple sec with st. germain.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I <3 Sidecars. Always on the rocks though, and generally past the point where having another drink is a good idea.

Same goes for me ordering shots of sambuca. That's a pretty good sign it's time to wrap it up.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

1 part Brandy
    1 part Lemon Juice

I disagree. A sidecar is a classic sour, which is almost always in a 3:2:1 ratio. So that would mean 1.5 oz cognac, 1 oz triple sec, and 1/2 oz lemon juice. Skip the sugared rim, as well.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bought Irish Car Bombs for a couple friends that hate Guinness, Baileys, and Scotch. They loved them.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irish stout
    Irish cream liqueur
    Scotch whisky?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »

1 part Brandy
    1 part Lemon Juice

I disagree. A sidecar is a classic sour, which is almost always in a 3:2:1 ratio. So that would mean 1.5 oz cognac, 1 oz triple sec, and 1/2 oz lemon juice. Skip the sugared rim, as well.

3:2:1 is an acceptable ratio if one prefers it that way. Matter of personal taste.

I say keep the sugared rim though. I think it is just prettier and better that way.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Waste good scotch in a carbomb, go ahead.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If you don't like scotch, save it for the rest of us. If you want to throw away shit, buy vodka or white rum. Something no one's going to shed a tear over.

GungHo on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I buy bottles of 18yo Oban just to pour out for my dead homies. It's how I roll.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Oban has an 18y?

Fuck!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it's like $130. And very good I'm sure.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, it's like $130. And very good I'm sure.

Sheeeeit. I'll stick to the 14 year old for now, I guess.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tried Unibroue's Éphémère, Duvel Moortgat's Maredsous 8 Dubbel, and Southern Star's Buried Hatchet yesterday evening. Did not much care for the Maredsous, but the other two were quite enjoyable.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Bought a bunch of glassware and bar supplies this weekend. Boston shaker, lots of glasses, barspoon and jiggers, even a water charger!

We should be ready for the party this weekend. I need to make a drink menu so that people drink something besides gin & tonic or rum & coke.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I need new glassware. I have awesome scotch glasses but crap for everything else.

I've come close to buying some sexy Riedel wine glasses a few times, but I'm certain they'd get broken right quick.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Bought a bunch of glassware and bar supplies this weekend. Boston shaker, lots of glasses, barspoon and jiggers, even a water charger!

We should be ready for the party this weekend. I need to make a drink menu so that people drink something besides gin & tonic or rum & coke.

this sounds fun

I would love to go to a party at someone's house where they provided a drink menu of things they're happy to make with ingredients they have

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I need new glassware. I have awesome scotch glasses but crap for everything else.

I've come close to buying some sexy Riedel wine glasses a few times, but I'm certain they'd get broken right quick.

Spiegelau makes glasses that are comparable to Riedel but much less expensive.

Spindrift on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I read your guys suggestions and that's an interesting couple of ideas. I didn't know there were multiple types of gimlets. I got introduced to Vodka Gimlets at a former classmate's college graduation party where her grandmother was making them. She said it was just 2:1 Vodka and Roses Sweetened Lime Juice.

I have tried a ton of different Vodkas, but Smirnoff just tastes...best? I really like the bite. I also had a bad night, back when I was working full time, using Grey Goose - it was so smooth I had no idea how much alcohol I was actually drinking.

I'd really like to hit up the nicer mixology bars in Boston, but I just really don't have the money to go trying new stuff.

I am going to get the ingredients for a Manhattan though. That sounds delicious.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I read your guys suggestions and that's an interesting couple of ideas. I didn't know there were multiple types of gimlets. I got introduced to Vodka Gimlets at a former classmate's college graduation party where her grandmother was making them. She said it was just 2:1 Vodka and Roses Sweetened Lime Juice.

I have tried a ton of different Vodkas, but Smirnoff just tastes...best? I really like the bite. I also had a bad night, back when I was working full time, using Grey Goose - it was so smooth I had no idea how much alcohol I was actually drinking.

I'd really like to hit up the nicer mixology bars in Boston, but I just really don't have the money to go trying new stuff.

I am going to get the ingredients for a Manhattan though. That sounds delicious.

I know this is an odd place for this, but I saw your name, and your title, and you didn't have an avatar...I just had to do this. You can use it or not, it's up to you. It only took 5 minutes to make, either way.

MegaMan%20RN.gif

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thought I'd give the martini another shot tonight. Used Plymouth gin and Noilly Prat dry vermouth in 5:1 ratio, stirred with ice and strained into a cocktail glass.

Still tastes like poison to me and i basically had to choke it down. I might not be a martini kind of guy, which is odd because I just love the Martinez.

Made Frankie a "Gin Daisy" which is roughly what clubs would call a "cherry gin sour." Apparently "daisy" is a whole class of old-fashioned drinks, and can be made with gin, brandy, rum, tequila, vodka or whatever.

Gin Daisy
    2.5 oz gin
    1 oz lime juice
    1/2 oz grenadine

mix with ice, shake, strain.
    serve to someone who is not averse to drinking a shockingly pink drink.

It's not really my thing but whatever. If you have a ladyfriend who likes sweet/ sour drinks, it's worth a shot.

Also I made a traditional daiquiri for Frankie - not the frozen slushie kind with strawberries:

Daiquiri
    2 oz light rum
    3/4 oz simple syrup
    1/2 oz lime juice

shake with ice, strain, serve in a cocktail glass maybe with a slice of lime

it's a nice, refreshing, simple drink that really compliments the flavors of the rum. probably not ideal on a dreary rainy evening like tonight in Boston, but will definitely come out once the warm summer and spring months are upon us.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Manhattans are great. If you are on a budget, you can make a passable one with either Old Overholt or Evan Williams whiskey and Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, in either a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

It sounds like your current liquor of choice is vodka. I'd recommend trying some gin drinks - like vodka, it's a clear unaged spirit, but has a little more character and bite than vodka, and isn't much more expensive. Light rum is another possibility, or maybe silver tequila. At the very least, with a bottle of gin you can finally make a proper gimlet.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Irish stout
    Irish cream liqueur
    Scotch whisky?

He probably meant Jameson, something I have fallen in love with in the last month.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Spindrift wrote: »

Spiegelau makes glasses that are comparable to Riedel but much less expensive.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll check them out next time I'm out shopping.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Manhattans are great. If you are on a budget, you can make a passable one with either Old Overholt or Evan Williams whiskey and Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, in either a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio.

It sounds like your current liquor of choice is vodka. I'd recommend trying some gin drinks - like vodka, it's a clear unaged spirit, but has a little more character and bite than vodka, and isn't much more expensive. Light rum is another possibility, or maybe silver tequila. At the very least, with a bottle of gin you can finally make a proper gimlet.

To say gin has more character than vodka is a vast understatement.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gentlemen... behold!

HE-MAN-XXX-Whisky.jpg

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/03/he-man_the_whisky.php

Apparently it's unlicensed Indian whiskey, but who cares because it's He-Man whiskey.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Absolutely, but every time I make a judgment call in this thread - from challenging what some would hold to be vodka's wonderful distinctiveness to suggesting that maybe ordering the razzletini might not be the most masculine display - someone gets their feelings hurt about it.

So I was kind of trying to soft-peddle that statement is what I am saying.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'll I'm saying is that gin drinkers have more character than vodka drinkers!

I kid. Really. I promise. Your potato hootch is just as deserving of praise as my delectably crafted juniper bounty.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Gentlemen... behold!

HE-MAN-XXX-Whisky.jpg

Apparently it's unlicensed Indian whiskey, but who cares because it's He-Man whiskey.

Probably just safer to drink paint thinner, at least that way the doctors will know which poison I'm dieing from.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Absolutely, but every time I make a judgment call in this thread - from challenging what some would hold to be vodka's wonderful distinctiveness to suggesting that maybe ordering the razzletini might not be the most masculine display - someone gets their feelings hurt about it.

So I was kind of trying to soft-peddle that statement is what I am saying.

oh my feelings didn't get hurt you're just wrong. Like I said, you yourself mentioned your friends ribbed you over serving what appears to finely crafted cocktails. I've had some awesome -tinis too, a watermelontini made with fresh, blended watermelon and another one that was made with pineapple infused vodka and something else I can't remember.

stop reinforcing gender roles basically!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I kid. Really. I promise. Your potato hootch is just as deserving of praise as my delectably crafted juniper bounty.

It's not even potato hootch anymore.

Vodka these days is just denatured grain alcohol that has been mixed with distilled water to bring it down to 80 or 100 proof.

it's useful for, like, preserving things and lab work.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh my feelings didn't get hurt you're just wrong. Like I said, you yourself mentioned your friends ribbed you over serving what appears to finely crafted cocktails. I've had some awesome -tinis too, a watermelontini made with fresh, blended watermelon and another one that was made with pineapple infused vodka and something else I can't remember.

stop reinforcing gender roles basically!

I'm sure they're delicious. And I don't mind going to bat for something I like if it's considered too fancy to be traditionally masculine. But I don't really extend that to everything in the world that's considered girly.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Gentlemen... behold!

HE-MAN-XXX-Whisky.jpg

Probably just safer to drink paint thinner, at least that way the doctors will know which poison I'm dieing from.
    You're not dying, you're becoming... He-Man!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vodka is good for making drinks that didn't used to get you drunk now get you drunk.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i'm drinking a 12 year old bottle of appleton estate rum I picked up in jamaica. It's the biggest distillery on the island so it's not exactly rare stuff, but boy is it tasty. I thought I would try it neat and then add ice if I needed it, but I'm loving it neat so far. It has a spicy flavor so far with (of course) strong brown sugar flavors. It seems like it would be a shame to sully it with juice or cola.

I also learned that white rum is either simply unaged rum or aged rum that's been filtered through charcoal, removing its color and a lot of its flavor.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Vodka these days is just denatured grain alcohol that has been mixed with distilled water to bring it down to 80 or 100 proof.

Dear God I hope it's not denatured. That means sullying it for the express purpose of making it poisonous.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tomorrow is drink bread day. I can't wait.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i'm drinking a 12 year old bottle of appleton estate rum I picked up in jamaica. It's the biggest distillery on the island so it's not exactly rare stuff, but boy is it tasty. I thought I would try it neat and then add ice if I needed it, but I'm loving it neat so far. It has a spicy flavor so far with (of course) strong brown sugar flavors. It seems like it would be a shame to sully it with juice or cola.

I also learned that white rum is either simply unaged rum or aged rum that's been filtered through charcoal, removing its color and a lot of its flavor.

I was reading a little about rums last night. Apparently, Jamaica has long been known for their dark rums while Cuba was famous for light rums until Castro, when Puerto Rico became the dominant supplier of light rums to the US.

I don't really have a very good palate for rums, and just keep around a bottle of Myers dark, a bottle of Barardi silver and a bottle of Sailor Jerry's spiced. They seem to be a very underpriced liquor considering their history, variety, and the care with which they can be made.

I don't really know many mixed drinks that rums are used for outside of the daiquiri and the tiki drinks. Might be worth experimenting with replacing some whiskey recipes with an aged rum or gin recipes with a white rum?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cervetus wrote: »

Dear God I hope it's not denatured. That means sullying it for the express purpose of making it poisonous.

Oh yeah my bad. I meant made neutral. Neutralized?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ssskraken.jpg

omg so good

drank two fifths in the span of 7 days on vacation in charlottesville (where i went to school)

Tallaclassee on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    here is why rum is so great

look at the first page of this

http://www.tastings.com/search_spirits.lasso?se=k&sb=All&ca=Rum%20Aged&sf=ScoreForSort

mostly they are affordable!

then look at a page like this, for example

http://www.tastings.com/search_spirits.lasso?se=k&sb=All&ca=Speyside&sf=ScoreForSort

oh shits my dollars!

skippydumptruck on
This discussion has been closed.