As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

360 Arcade w/o HD, play online?

Dr. FaceDr. Face King of PantsRegistered User regular
So my brother was thinking of getting a 360 Arcade because he had the money, but without the HD I wondered if he'd be able to play online at all. While I know the console has online access, I am thinking its restricted storage space wouldn't allow it to install required patches to games so he could play online.

Can anyone confirm this? I did some very basic searching but no real confirmation of what I suspect. He doesn't have a lot of money and only thought about getting it because of the $199 price (plus $50 for Gold account), so if I tell him he can't play games online with the Arcade model he'll probably just not get an 360.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
Dr. Face on

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you can. The arcade has 512 MB storage built in.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    you can. The arcade has 512 MB storage built in.

That's enough for multiple game patches? Can you remove game patches to make room if you start to run out?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah you can remove patches without a problem. If he goes this way you could also be an awesome brother and get him a HDD for Christmas or something.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had an arcade for about a year without an HDD. This was back when they were called cores and came with only a 64 mb memory card. I bought a 256 to save games, but I had about 8 games and that 64 mb memory card was enough space. So I think you'd be fine.

You only REEEEEALLY need a HDD if you're gonna do DLC or downloadable games. For saves and patches, I survived on 256 + 64 mb for a year. And I never filled up that space completely, btw.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You should be fine with the 512MB for a while. If you eventually need a HD, you can just buy one used. 20GBs and 60GBs are pretty trivial to find on eBay for cheap (120GBs are easy to find too, but they're nearly always knockoffs). I picked up my 20GB for like $30 (with shipping), my 60GB for like $45.

The Elite is still by far the better value, but if you're on a budget you can buy an Arcade now and just add the pieces later.

The hard drive is totally worth it, by the way, for the game installation. Holy fuck the damn thing makes so much noise otherwise.

EDIT: Hell, I still have that 20GB if you wanted to buy him a gift. PM if interested, I won't want much for it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The arcade also doesn't come with an HD cable. So you'll have to hit monoprice for HDMI or Component cables.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Shit, the elite doesn't even come with an HD cable anymore.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Which is bullshit, because the OEM cable is about the only way to get 5.1 out over optical while using HDMI (if yours is one ofthe 90% of TVs that downmixes to stereo). It comes with the dongle for audio, which they do not (to my knowledge) sell separately.

Unfortunately, every component (or any other) cable I've found that gives optical out blocks the HDMI port.

There's no way this design wasn't intentional.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

Which is bullshit, because the OEM cable is about the only way to get 5.1 out over optical while using HDMI (if yours is one ofthe 90% of TVs that downmixes to stereo). It comes with the dongle for audio, which they do not (to my knowledge) sell separately.

Unfortunately, every component (or any other) cable I've found that gives optical out blocks the HDMI port.

There's no way this design wasn't intentional.

Kind of like the proprietary USB wireless adapter. I'll even take it a step further with the play & charge kit for the controllers.

All these reasons are pretty much why I bailed on the 360 after my Zypher model died on me.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=114943

Well hey look at that. You can use a USB device to save/store data for XBox 360 games.

urahonky on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Also I've got an extra 20gb that I'd let go for super cheap for a PA'er.

EDIT: The drive. Not the 360.

Though I suppose if someone wanted a 2 red ringed overheated system for whatever reason too...

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=114943

Well hey look at that. You can use a USB device to save/store data for XBox 360 games.

Hey, I was just coming to mention this here.

Yeah, in a short while there will be a (relatively) cheap alternative for Arcade owners. a 16GB USB device (the limit, apparently) is still pretty pricey...you can get a used 20GB HD for cheap.

However, the ability to add swappable 16GB (or smaller) USB drives in addition to that 20GB HD is probably a nice thing. Plus, those flash drives will get cheaper (and MS's hard drives probably won't).

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Since when is a 16GB USB drive 'pricey'? I just bought a 8GB one for 12€ a month ago.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Since when is a 16GB USB drive 'pricey'? I just bought a 8GB one for 12€ a month ago.

Pricey compared to USB hard drives, on a per-gig basis.

About the same, per-gig, as the official Xbox hard drives. Which, of course, is the reason for the limit.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

About the same, per-gig, as the official Xbox hard drives. Which, of course, is the reason for the limit.

Not for the xbox 360 120gig HDD in the US. It's about a $2:$1 ratio for USB to 120gig HDD.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sanders wrote: »

Not for the xbox 360 120gig HDD in the US. It's about a $2:$1 ratio for USB to 120gig HDD.

Man, what?

A 16GB stick costs like $30 or so. That's nearly $2 per gig.

I don't believe a 120GB hard drive for the 360 costs $200-$240. I could be wrong.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Man, what?

I don't believe a 120GB hard drive for the 360 costs $200-$240. I could be wrong.
    Other way around. 120GB hard drive for the 360 is $1.08 per gig. Though $200-$240 would put it at $2 per gig or a 1:1 ratio so not sure how you read my post.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Man, what?

Other way around. 120GB hard drive for the 360 is $1.08 per gig. Though $200-$240 would put it at $2 per gig or a 1:1 ratio so not sure how you read my post.

Yeah, pretty sure I just read your post wrong.

mcdermott on