As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
edited July 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey guys, remember that time Raylan totally shot that one guy? That was awesome.

Raylan Givens. The man. The myth. The hat. We thought this story was done. Turns out it isn’t.

This is your spot to discuss all things Justified. It is open spoilers, wall to wall, pilot to this week’s episode. Talk about the news season begins on page 69 (nice!) if you wanna skip there. Maybe I’ll link it at the bottom layer, when I’m not on mobile. I’ll probably also clean up this OP, since right now I’m probably just going to spoiler the rest of it for posterity.

Anyway, here’s a trailer for next weeks premiere.

https://youtu.be/N6KEgWSFfaE

I think this will be a very different show. But goddamn it, I’m in.

(Spoiler below is just the old OP, because I’m a hoarder.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cnl-xa_nFU

And seriously, fuck above ground pools.

So, two seasons down and this keeps getting better. Looking forward to the third season. You should watch this, if you haven't. Before reading this thread, which is full of dirty, dirty spoilers.

Okay, seriously, three seasons in and this show is amazing. It's only like a dozen episodes per season, if you haven't watched it yet you should. Timothy Olyphant is amazing, Walton Goggins is equally amazing, most of the guest stars and regulars are amazing, just...yeah. You like lone lawmen in cowboy hats cleaning up this here town? You'll like this show.

I still remember thinking "that show looks cheesy and terrible, but it's got that one guy and the other guy from The Shield so I'll give it a shot." Remember that? Well, welcome to one of the best shows on television. Now that Breaking Bad is off I might be willing to call it the best show on television, or at least in the "hour long drama" category (hard to directly compare against comedies), let me think about it.

Raylan Givens plays a U.S. Marshal kicking ass and taking names in Kentucky. Sent back "home" from Miami for being too fucking awesome, he finds himself falling in with old friends, old family, and old problems. If you haven't watched this show, stop reading this and go marathon the fuck out of it. In loving memory of Elmore Leonard.

I may flesh this OP out later, if I'm not lazy. But probably not. I never realized what I was getting into when I posted this like eight years ago.

And, to reiterate, this thread will forever be full of dirty, dirty spoilers.

In closing...

Justified_-_Justin_Timberlake.png

ElJeffe on

• The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll catch the first few eps. I tend to give Elmore-Leonard-based stuff the benefit of the doubt and Olyphant looks like he's having some fun here.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if Olyphant makes social commentary. "If these heeya Kentucky folks had jobs, I wouldn't have to work so hard to keep the peace."

emnmnme on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Judge wrote: »
    I'll catch the first few eps. I tend to give Elmore-Leonard-based stuff the benefit of the doubt and Olyphant looks like he's having some fun here.

Yeah, Olyphant looks good, Leonard based stuff tends to be good, and FX tends to have some good shows (not always, but regularly).

Also, I tend to give FX shows a chance because the network itself does...generally every FX show gets a full first-season run (which is only 12 or 13 episodes, but still) and they almost always throw down a second season too just to see. Unlike the major networks, where too often it's "show us the numbers by week four or you're gone."

mcdermott on
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man. Olyphant has so much barely contained rage in all of his roles. I wonder if the actor is really that angry always, or he's just really good at pretending to be on the verge of flipping out and killing everyone.

fshavlak on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Timothy Olyphant as the angriest man alive (under 75).

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I tend to give Elmore-Leonard-based stuff the benefit of the doubt

So I take it you've never seen 'Maximum Bob', 'Gold Coast', or 'Be Cool'?

Elmore Leonard is the man, but movies/shows based off his work can be horrible. Even still, I can't wait for this one. FX is awesome. Leonard is awesome. SHANE is fucking legit. Hopefully they don't stir all these components into a FAIL stew.

Deebaser on
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the previews for this, and they do look pretty badass. I'm gonna give it a shot and see where it goes.

Omnicron9999 on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm just excited that Walton Goggins is involved. I've always enjoyed his work. The Shield is one of my favorite shows of all time, partially because Shane is so well acted.

Also, Timothy Olyphant ftw.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »

You can find dregs with any actor, director, producer, or writer. In the right hands, his work can be great.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This might be interesting.

werehippy on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Walton Goggins as another hillbilly jackass badguy, but this time I don't have to root for him at all?

Sold.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sheriff Clench and Cletus VanDamme in the same show?

Even with FX's sketchy as fuck track record with original programming, I'm in for at least a few episodes.

Lawndart on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Judge wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

You can find dregs with any actor, director, producer, or writer. In the right hands, his work can be great.

Oh don't get me wrong. Elmore Leonard is the motherfucking MAN. But adaptation-wise for every '3:10 to Yuma', there is a 'Be Cool'. Some real talentless goose-bags try and adapt his awesome and have failed spectacularly. Hell, I heard a rumor they were making tishomingo blues with will.i.am or some such bullshit.

Deebaser on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This sounds like Scalped, minus the Indian Reservation but with all of the meth.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    im hoping for a modern western

soooo....?

Joolander on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You know I'm on board for this, McD.

On a sidenote, I went back and watched a few eps of Generation Kill today. Really made me miss Over There. :(

Hacksaw on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Shield, Sons of Anarchy, and Damages all tell me that I should watch this even though the advertising has been absolutely atrocious.

tofu on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    You know I'm on board for this, McD.

On a sidenote, I went back and watched a few eps of Generation Kill today. Really made me miss Over There. :(

I was really disappointed when FX canceled Over There. At least they finished the season and resolved most of the major plot lines.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I think I'm really interested in checking this out just to see how they show Kentucky.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watched the premiere, I have to say I thought it was kind of boring but good enough to watch again. The acting talent is definitely there so the writing will make or break the show.

tofu on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    Watched the premiere, I have to say I thought it was kind of boring but good enough to watch again. The acting talent is definitely there so the writing will make or break the show.

I can dig boring but good. I wound up having to DVR it, I'll give it a watch tomorrow night.

mcdermott on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    tofu your existence has upset me because now I'm reminded that venture bros is not on.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    re the preview in the OP: what the hell kinda selfrespecting hill-billy forgets to rack his shotgun

my guess is that mullet is fake, he's actually an investment banker from chicago

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I found it a pretty entertaining hour of television. Olyphant does a really good job as a Kentucky Marshall. Not surprising. I've heard that it's been compared to a modern Deadwood. I wouldn't go that crazy, but it was still pretty good.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watched it, thought it was decent. Definitely going to keep watching. It has a modern-day western kinda feel.

Cheeseliker on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked it. I'll watch another episode so long as it has that old timer sheriff.

emnmnme on
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I enjoyed the old man. To me it didn't feel that much like Kentucky. I mean I saw some similarities and I saw some differences. It doesn't really break the show though.

It's funny I was just explaining to someone the other day that there are white supremacists in Kentucky and they refused to believe people like that lived in my state, then this show comes on. So someone else seems to believe they exist except from me.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've gone up to Kentucky to watch my Florida Gators play there. It didn't seem nearly as bad as the areas surrounding Gainesville. I quite liked Lexington. I'm guessing it gets worse and worse the closer you get to West Virginia?

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited March 2010
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    It's funny I was just explaining to someone the other day that there are white supremacists in Kentucky and they refused to believe people like that lived in my state, then this show comes on. So someone else seems to believe they exist except from me.

But... there's white supremacists everywhere... Why would this person think Kentucky magically doesn't have racists?

Evil_Reaver on
    edited March 2010
    It gets worse and worse after you start leaving the 4 lane highways. You start getting on 2 lane gravel roads. That's some pretty rural stuff

MoSiAc on
    edited March 2010

But... there's white supremacists everywhere... Why would this person think Kentucky magically doesn't have racists?

I don't know. I just explained the type of people I've met. I think maybe he felt they weren't a very open and public group. Whereas I beg to differ.

MoSiAc on
    edited March 2010

I don't know. I just explained the type of people I've met. I think maybe he felt they weren't a very open and public group. Whereas I beg to differ.

The rock your friend lives under must be very comfortable.

Evil_Reaver on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone know if you can watch this online?

Also, needs more Ian McShane.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited March 2010
    If this is sticking to FX and Hulu's current relationship there will be about 3 episodes out before they put the first one on there. Could get lucky though.

MoSiAc on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh, right! Hulu. How quickly I forget things. Will have to keep an eye on that then, thanks.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Watched the first episode, seems kinda meh to me. I love me some Walt Goggins, though.

One thing that struck me is that this would almost certainly be a better or at least a more interesting show if Olyphant and Goggins had swapped roles.

Lawndart on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't get to watch this. I'm interested to see how they portray my state, though. My girlfriend grew up not too far from Harlan County.

Hopefully it won't be as ridiculous as the old Daniel Boone TV show, where there were always snow-capped mountains in the background.
    devCharles wrote: »
    I've gone up to Kentucky to watch my Florida Gators play there. It didn't seem nearly as bad as the areas surrounding Gainesville. I quite liked Lexington. I'm guessing it gets worse and worse the closer you get to West Virginia?

Eastern Kentucky gets a bad rap IMO. Some places have serious problems with poverty and drugs, but that's all over the state (and a lot of other states too). There are places you wouldn't want to go without knowing your way around, just like any city that isn't in the burbs, but most places are alright. It's also very beautiful, especially in the spring and early summer. Lots of good places for hiking and climbing.

Lexington is a great place, but really bougeois. It's basically the apotheosis of college towns.

Duffel on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I didn't intend on watching it, but noticed it was on just as it started and figured why not. Not sold on it but interested enough to catch at least one more episode.

Tomanta on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Liked it, but... it felt lacking somehow. Definitely give it a few more episodes though.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    it seemed off in the way most pilots seem off

or something

Joolander on
This discussion has been closed.