As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC won't boot

Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Woke up this morning and my PC was shut down. It won't boot, the lights and fan come on for 1s and turn off. If I hold in the power button the lights flash and the fan spins.

Any ideas what is wrong? Is the power supply dying maybe?

This is a pc I built myself a couple years ago. D:

Walrus von Zeppelin on

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Woke up this morning and my PC was shut down. It won't boot, the lights and fan come on for 1s and turn off. If I hold in the power button the lights flash and the fan spins.

Could be the power supply. You can check if you have a spare. Also, sounds dumb, but plug your surge protector (you better have a surge protector) into a different socket. One time I thought my power supply died and it was just that the outlet shorted out in a power surge.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

What type of video card do you have?

If you have an Nvidia, it might have died, try removing the card and booting using onboard graphics. If it boots then, it was your video card.

Eeveelution on
    PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
  • Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I do have an Nvidia card. I've tried booting with it removed and have gotten the same results, though I do not have onboard video card so I didn't have any monitors hooked up.

I just took everything apart and put it back together and still have the same issue.

This might be the isue I don't know but in the process I found a small shred of paper that was laying on the video card board. D:

I assume that is a bad thing.

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So.... No POST beeps?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited March 2010
    There are no beeps. Just lights and fans on and then off.

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Make sure nothing has come loose, like RAM. Then try again.

Might be MOBO death.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How old is the motherboard?

Ruckus on
  • travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "If I hold in the power button the lights flash and the fan spins."

Wait what? so if you just keep holding in the button what happens? Do the fans keep spinning and the lights stay on?

travathian on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Your motherboard is toast. Anything else and your BIOS would be reporting problems.
    Slim chance it's your PSU but usually when they die you get zero action out of them.

Mustang on
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Double check the ram to make sure its securely in

I did this once where I would turn it on, lights and fans would turn on but nothing would happen

turned out the ram wasn't seated properly

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    your motherboard may still be fine. this happened to me a few months ago. I forgot what I did to fix it. I'll be wracking my brain all night until I can remember.

EskimoDave on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had this problem when I first set up my system, when the processor wasn't seated properly, I didn't get any post beeps I just got spin up, spin down.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited March 2010
    I have tried each one of my ram sticks to see if they were the problem and they all get me the same results. I've also now tried a different power supply and I still have the problem.

I will try to reseat my cpu though before I order a new mobo. D:

Walrus von Zeppelin on
    edited March 2010
    And to clarify if I hold in the power button all of the lights flash and the fans spin (through momentum I imagine, since they are probably powering on and off like the lights).

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    When I built my first computer many moon ago I had bought an after market CPU heatsink and one of the screws that held it on was touching the case. And that caused the problem you described. But it's doubtful that's the cause.

When the same problem you're having happened to me I ended up taking every thing (except psu) out and reinstalling them all in an attempt to isolate a problem. After I was down to the just the mobo left it still didn't work. took it out to inspect it. didn't see anything. reinstalled it. everything started to work again. So, not sure what caused my strife that day. But no problems up to today.

EskimoDave on