As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Dawn of War II: Retribution (soon-to-be-released expansion)

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    new campaign missions are fun, but goddamn primarch is so terribly balanced.

It's a mix of completely weak and ineffective standard attacks (because every single enemy is like 50k HP) and powerful abilities (usually late end in the talent trees) which means you have to rely on spamming 2 abilities for any chance to kill a single unit model in 5 minutes, while you can lose your entire team in 1 second.
    For example, dreadnaughts multi melta is weak as hell vs everything, requiring ages to get something down unless you hit melta sweep.
    Thaddeus with hammers? Weak. So weak. Thaddeus with merciless strike upgrade teleport? Boom, all gone.

Thank god for Cyrus' detonation packs.

Oh and usually the missions aren't clear at all on gaining corruption. "Destroy the artillery before the HQ is down" -"Which artillery? Where is it? Is it over here? No that's the com aray, where's the artillery piece? CORRUPTION GET YOU HAD TO TAKE DOWN THE COM ARRAY". Just now I got corruption in the scout mission. Why? I do not fucking know. I passed the first scout building, removed all threats, get to the portal - YOU FAILED - CORRUPTION GET. What!?

Alegis on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There's no way to say this without sounding pretentious, but I found Primarch was a lot easier than in DoW2's original campaign. I won't go as far to say that the campaign was worse for it (indeed, it felt much better balanced) but I did miss it.

I think croak said that the damage multiplier was x4 before, now it is x2? If you need any more proof that I am masochistic, I miss that. Some things were completely, horrifically broken. Like venom cannons and seer councils. Instant killing entire squads in one long range attack. Seer councils would automaticly knockdown on attack. Even if you did survive you were powerless to escape or retaliate. However, we conquered them all. And lo, it was good.

Sometimes, I really just enjoy a silly hard game.

I too, found the scout mission completely confusing and impossible to complete. Scout squads and sargents are different? Huh? We tried that mission twice and could not get it down. We just decided to eat the corruption, we purged most of it with the secondary objective that gave purity anyways.

However, with most missions, I felt the improved intel system really helped with those secondary objectives, and let you plan ahead.

In the original campaign it would be like "there might be a zoanthrope" "Enemies will be in buildings maybe kinda sorta"

I really appreciated the improved intel.

Corp.Shephard on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had to retreat more often in primarch of original, it's just that the discrepancy between standard attacks/abilities/health of opponents annoys me more right now.

Maybe thaddeus standard attack is so weak because I only have the thunderhammer from my previous savegame and not some new one where the damage is suddenly gazillion? I don't know, but I don't have a new hammer so I can't say.

Alegis on
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish Primarch was just the crazy high damage without the massive enemy health bars.

Sepah on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I put all my settings on low and still getting lag online in head to head, what do?

SkutSkut on
  • RiddoxRiddox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want to remind everyone of banshees with 50% damage reduction. Why? Because with Distort Field they become immune to ranged fire completely, so I just played a game where some motherfucker abused this shit and so I couldn't do shit. Not like my range army could do dick vs his Wraithguard anyway. Whatever was standing to shoot the banshees got melted.

+ Points for running them into my base, too.

Must resist urge... to spam... bloodcrushers in rage.... AAAARARAGAGAGHAHAHGAHGHA!!!!!

No, seriously, I'm totally gonna abuse all this OP stuff. Fair play is for sissies and masochists.

Riddox on
    Gamertag: Ridley 8
    edited March 2010
    Nothing wrong with spamming bloodcrushers.

If Relic didn't want you to spam them, why would they make them cost less than anything else in Tier 2?

Sepah on
    edited March 2010
    Sepah wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with spamming bloodcrushers.

If Relic didn't want you to spam them, why would they make them cost less than anything else in Tier 2?

Whoa whoa, let's not forget ye olde war trukk at 200/30

That thing is pro.

Corp.Shephard on
    edited March 2010
    Obviously you've never seen the Slugga->Wartrukk spam baserape strategy.

Sepah on
  • XyyzXyyz Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Anyone played to the end of the campaign with a fully corrupted squad?

I guess there must be some kind of nifty BAD END sequence.

Xyyz on
    edited March 2010
    Obviously you've never seen the Slugga->Wartrukk spam baserape strategy.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

War trukk is pro.

Corp.Shephard on
    edited March 2010
    Its like jeep spam in CoH. Once you have enough of them, it doesn't matter what your opponent has.

Sepah on
    edited March 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    So I put all my settings on low and still getting lag online in head to head, what do?

Any help fellas?

Now I'm getting the damned graphical/crash glitch again, bah.

SkutSkut on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Riddox wrote: »
    I want to remind everyone of banshees with 50% damage reduction. Why? Because with Distort Field they become immune to ranged fire completely, so I just played a game where some motherfucker abused this shit and so I couldn't do shit. Not like my range army could do dick vs his Wraithguard anyway. Whatever was standing to shoot the banshees got melted.

+ Points for running them into my base, too.

Must resist urge... to spam... bloodcrushers in rage.... AAAARARAGAGAGHAHAHGAHGHA!!!!!

No, seriously, I'm totally gonna abuse all this OP stuff. Fair play is for sissies and masochists.

I wouldn't spam them, but pretty much every game ever I build 1-2 bloodcrushers. Never more than 2, because I don't hate fun and Chaos has other units.

programjunkie on
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am enjoying the campaign quite a bit. I wish I hadn't lost my save from my origonal playthrough though.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Any help fellas?

Double check the manufacturers websites and see if there are more recent versions of your motherboard / NIC / vid card drivers?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I spam Assault Terminators

Because really why bother with anything else

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2010

Any help fellas?

Double check the manufacturers websites and see if there are more recent versions of your motherboard / NIC / vid card drivers?

It's this bug again, I did everything last time I did to fix it and it only came back after I changed my settings so I dunno what to do now.
    clippin.jpg

SkutSkut on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hahaha that is horrifying

Zen Vulgarity on
  • CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I bought this game because I have too much money now and not enough time to reap the fruits of it.

I also bought it for single player. Is it worth trying multiplayer?

CanisAquilus on
    edited March 2010
    Yes

Also buy Valtzy a copy

Zen Vulgarity on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would like to play this with you peoples

That way everyone can see me attempt to spam Bloodcrushers and fail while my Lord runs around like a doofus

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How much are chaos like tyranids at release of the original?

CanisAquilus on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I would actually say Tyranids were much worse than this.

Chaos Lord is pretty bad though not unbeatable if you play for skirmishes during t1. Heretic squad detonation doing full damage to retreating units is a problem, but their grenade launchers are not as bad as certain banned users might have you think. Bloodcrushers are too cheap for how good they are. Those are the outrightly obvious bits of cheese.

Most of the other units have an unknown metagame because of how good these few are. Tzeentch CSM spam might become more prevalent.

The main problem at the moment is LC Terminators being only 300 zeal, and being quite capable of weathering almost anything thrown at them while doing terrible, terrible damage.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    terribly amazing to clarify.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I would actually say Tyranids were much worse than this.

Chaos Lord is pretty bad though not unbeatable if you play for skirmishes during t1. Heretic squad detonation doing full damage to retreating units is a problem, but their grenade launchers are not as bad as certain banned users might have you think. Bloodcrushers are too cheap for how good they are. Those are the outrightly obvious bits of cheese.

Most of the other units have an unknown metagame because of how good these few are. Tzeentch CSM spam might become more prevalent.

The main problem at the moment is LC Terminators being only 300 zeal, and being quite capable of weathering almost anything thrown at them while doing terrible, terrible damage.

Khorne CSM are pretty nice too, almost as fast as banshees pre FoF, and the fact it's only 3-4 guys means they aren't fucked by Wraithguard spam, making them a decent counter, especially if your a Sorcerer and have some worshiping cultists to infiltrate them for aproach.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    How much are chaos like tyranids at release of the original?

Tyranids were definitely worse. Way worse.

Kinderparty on
    edited March 2010
    Tzeetch CSM has already caught on in team games. People are returning to their favorite blobs of insanely deadly marines, except probably twice as good and they counter vehicles too.

Tzeetch marines are a little too "catch all", and they do too much damage I dare say.

Corp.Shephard on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Damn! Plague Marine Champion is so freakin fun!

I mean the guy has a flame thrower that's really a vomit thrower. It never gets old covering Orks in the bodily fluids of Nurgle.

He also happens to have a sword that TURNS PEOPLE INTO ZOMBIES!

And Nurgle Shrines are awesome... so much more usefull then the shrines of those... lesser gods.

To top it all off he has a beer gut that would make Homer and Peter jealous.

To bad his globals suck, or do they? I haven't had much success.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tzeetch CSM has already caught on in team games. People are returning to their favorite blobs of insanely deadly marines, except probably twice as good and they counter vehicles too.

Tzeetch marines are a little too "catch all", and they do too much damage I dare say.

Yeah, I almost want to say that the worst thing about these balance problems is because we've seen them all before in one way or another and it's frustrating for it to be like two steps forward one step back kind of dealie.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited March 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

I mean the guy has a flame thrower that's really a vomit thrower. It never gets old covering Orks in the bodily fluids of Nurgle.

And Nurgle Shrines are awesome... so much more usefull then the shrines of those... lesser gods.

The Noxious Cloud one is amazing for swarms of infantry.

Thats, uh... thats pretty much all I've used. The one to make all your enemies units that die into zombies I haven't tried, and the Touch of Nurgle one is somewhat lacklustre.

Sepah on
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Thats, uh... thats pretty much all I've used. The one to make all your enemies units that die into zombies I haven't tried, and the Touch of Nurgle one is somewhat lacklustre.

The zombie one isn't so good. It's too damn big of a gamble, it doesn't last long enough, and little green indicators warn the enemy to run away fast! I can imagine it would be VERY usefull when combined with another global that kills lots of units, but, I dunno. The zombies and spell just doesn't seem to last long enough to really tip the balance enough to warrent using it.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    edited March 2010
    Akira used the exploding healing marines when he was attacked by terminators once. It knocked them back and dealt pretty extreme damage. Two Tzeetch marines took the terminators to 200 hp before they were overwhelmed by like 8 other units.

I thought it was impressive, but diffiucult to really pull on a good opponent. I've wanted to plop it down on a meleeing cultist squad and watch the sparks fly but I can never figure out which/they lose too many members.

Zombies + The Line of Fire sorcerer ability could be pretty potent in the right fight.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am liking the expansion a lot. Still really rusty though. Especially on pacing for upgrading my citadel and I am still feeling out my build orders.

I mean against chaos for eldar, is there any point in going with banshees? Those cultists explosion fuck them up.

The best I have done so far is 2 guardian squad, then suppression platform. Use the guardians aggressively and then hopefully cultists etc back in the platform.

Still really tough dance.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I should be [strike]in that poof![/strike] on that list of heretics.

GWFL name in sig.

Edit: Wait it's not. GWFL name is sevorak, oddly enough.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited March 2010

The zombie one isn't so good. It's too damn big of a gamble, it doesn't last long enough, and little green indicators warn the enemy to run away fast! I can imagine it would be VERY usefull when combined with another global that kills lots of units, but, I dunno. The zombies and spell just doesn't seem to last long enough to really tip the balance enough to warrent using it.

Plague of Undeath can work if you got his grenades, just toss one on a bunch of cultists/guardians/orks/guants and pop the power, and chances are you'll get most of the squad as zombies.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So thankfully Chaos Rising reset True Skill so I wasn't stuck at 23, which is how good I used to be after playing like 15 matches and then never again. So a couple days ago I played like 4 matches and won them all easily. And now I'm afraid of playing because I think my True Skill will shoot up and I'll just get assraped every time I play.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited March 2010
    I think the Twin-linked lascannons for Annihilator Preds and Tzeentch Chaos preds need a buff... or maybe Khorne Chaos Preds need a nerf, considering I've got a replay saved where my Khorne Pred killed two Tzeentch preds and a SM Annihilator Pred one after the other, with only my Plague Champion to heal it to about 2/3 health for each round.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2010
    So thankfully Chaos Rising reset True Skill so I wasn't stuck at 23, which is how good I used to be after playing like 15 matches and then never again. So a couple days ago I played like 4 matches and won them all easily. And now I'm afraid of playing because I think my True Skill will shoot up and I'll just get assraped every time I play.

Trueskill is faster to drop if you get a loseing streak, so you shouldn't be matched up against people above your skill, if you trueskill really is a fluke like you think.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »

Trueskill is faster to drop if you get a loseing streak, so you shouldn't be matched up against people above your skill, if you trueskill really is a fluke like you think.

It was until the reset, although I only played like 5 games before Chaos Rising reset my stats and saved me from buttrape.

TychoCelchuuu on