As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlooked classics

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guardian Fucking Heroes

Not enough people played this game, it's pure 2D beat em up joy.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only person I know that has a Saturn never found that game. And I think the only remake came out on GBA. Always wanted to play it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Last I checked, which was a while ago, Guardian Heroes was going for like 100 bucks on ebay. It's no wonder that not many people have played it.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The only person I know that has a Saturn never found that game. And I think the only remake came out on GBA. Always wanted to play it.

It's not a remake, so much as it is a sequel, and not a very good one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Another overlooked classic~!

Beyond_The_Beyond_ntsc-front.jpg

Ho ho ho ho ho!

Most people wretch at the thought of Beyond the Beyond, which was the first RPG released for the Playstation. Being a masochist, I rather enjoyed the game. It was as generic as an RPG can get, but for some reason it was entertaining to me. 16-bit-esque graphics, storyline and dialogue aside, one of the biggest complaints about this game was the staggering rate of random battles - sometimes you could literally take two steps and be thrown into a confrontation. The combat system was confusing too. The game boasted something that was called the "Active Playing System", which basically tried to incorporate precise button presses to initiate critical hits, counters and stronger spells by your party. Unfortunately the system seemed completely random, which caused most people(myself included) to simply mash buttons when their party members performed an action.

The game was hard, too. I got to the last fight, but I don't think I ever beat it.

Beyond the Beyond also has the rather infamous distinction of being almost universally panned by professional game critics, culminating with the Official Playstation Magazine giving it a 0.5 out of 5, which I believe is still the lowest rating they've ever given a game. Ouch.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll probably say this anytime someone brings up overlooked classics, but

Street_Fighter_2010_box.jpg

Was amazingly fun and just the right level of difficulty to be epic for its time. The only sad thing about it was the fact that it was plastered onto the Street Fighter name even though it had nothing to do with the series.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    Another overlooked classic~!

Beyond_The_Beyond_ntsc-front.jpg

Ho ho ho ho ho!

Actually, I rather enjoyed the game. It was as generic as an RPG can get, but for some reason it was entertaining to me. Storyline and dialogue aside, one of the biggest complaints about this game was the staggering rate of random battles - sometimes you could literally take two steps and be thrown into a confrontation. The combat system was confusing too. The game boasted something that was called the "Active Battle Engine" or something, which basically tried to incorporate precise button presses to initiate critical hits, counters and stronger spells by your party. Unfortunately the system seemed completely random, which caused most people(myself included) to simply mash buttons when their party members performed an action.

The game was hard, too. I got to the last fight, but I don't think I ever beat it.
    I thought I was alone! I don't know why, but I really enjoy this game. Like, even when I play through it, I will be going "this is such a shitty game, oh my god this is horrible" and yet I still enjoy it.

Except for that whole "lulz let's put your fighter under a Curse for the first half of the game, that should be fun right!?"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll probably say this anytime someone brings up overlooked classics, but

Street_Fighter_2010_box.jpg

Was amazingly fun and just the right level of difficulty to be epic for its time. The only sad thing about it was the fact that it was plastered onto the Street Fighter name even though it had nothing to do with the series.

Indeed, it's not even a bad game really, just really really fuckin hard and complicated. Way too complicated than any NES game has any right to be. Has about as many controls as some modern games when ya get down to it.

That said it was well polished control wise once you learn them, and while some enemy layout was bullshit, what game didn't have that during the NES days.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I finally took the time to look into Street Fighter 2010. Apparently it was another product of wacky localization by Capcom USA. In Japan, the main character and story have no links to Street Fighter whatsoever. It is assumed that Capcom USA made the alterations in order to sell more copies by linking it to the original Street Fighter, which had just hit the arcades in the US a couple of years prior.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There was no real reason, it's not even called that in Japan, the translators just slapped it on there.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, my curiousity finally got the better of me and I pulled up the Wiki page.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    But the game itself was totally awesome... in my opinion at least. It was definitely a challenging action platformer, with some pretty good music for its time. I think it was the first game that, as a kid, I felt genuinely proud for having beaten. The next being the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, whose Technodrome level was just plain unfair. =)

And indeed as you said, the controls were extremely complicated... but once you got used to them, you ended up with an array of possible attacks that really had no other parallel on the NES. I can think of 8 different types of attacks off the bat that you could do with just the D-Pad and the A & B buttons, and there were probably more that I'm forgetting. Once you mastered the controls, it really felt like you were in total control of your ability to win or lose at the game, and it all depended on how well you reacted with the (at that time, massive) amount of potential attacks at your disposal.

The ones I can remember are:

* Forward Punch (fast and far reaching but weak, straight ahead)
    * Forward Kick (strong, but not far reaching and arc'd around you... which was both good and bad depending on what you were aiming for)
    * Forward strong punch (if you did two forward kicks, you'd start doing strong punches which also arc'd but after going much further distance)
    * Upward punch (again, fast and far, straight up)
    * Jumping attack (Also a strong attack, but hard to connect properly and slow: only one attack per jump)
    * Backflip attack (could strike downwards below you if timed just right at the apex of your backflip)
    * Backflip shield attack (the backflip acted as a Guile-esque attack, but again had to be timed just right or you'd get hit instead of the enemy)
    * Back shield attack (With the back shield, turning around suddenly could save you from a close up attack with your own counterattack)
    * Wall attacks (you could climb most walls and attack from them)

The backflips were the most dramatic, and I remember having a blast figuring out how to time them just right to pull off the shield attack or downward strike. It really was a pretty forward thinking game for its time in terms of the flexibility of attacks it provided.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Two mentions for me that I haven't seen in the thread yet:

Crystalis: A pretty fun Action RPG for the NES that has pretty good music. I seem to remember it requiring a little grinding but it was still excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hpnFgHc_PM&feature=related

Soul Blazer: A great action RPG for the SNES with a fairly interesting concept behind it---releasing souls by defeating particular groups of enemies. And since your character can talk to anything every soul, even a flower's, can be significant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBjmlcJdbY&feature=PlayList&p=BC4456135BD162F7&index=7

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I might put Soul Blazer on my favorite games of all time list. There is just something so pure and satisfying in destroying monster lairs and releasing people in the overworld. I wish they'd make just one modern with that kind of mechanic.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Garris on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does Soul Blazer count as overlooked? Not for me, at least!

I loved that game. So fucking much. Also Illusion of Gaia.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Crystalis was the best NES game and Soul Blazer was an Enix RPG. Neither of those were really overlooked.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Two mentions for me that I haven't seen in the thread yet:

Crystalis: A pretty fun Action RPG for the NES that has pretty good music. I seem to remember it requiring a little grinding but it was still excellent.

Crystalis was mentioned in the OP! And is a totally awesome classic. If I recall, the main guy didn't bother using no wussy boats when he needed to cross the ocean; he rode a dolphin. Now there is a dude with style.

And Street Fighter 2010; yeah, I admit that I played the hell out of it. There's still time for Capcom to make it canon! C'mon, alternate Ken costume!

Anyone ever play a SNES game called Strike Gunner: STG? I only played it once, but it left an impression on me. Vertical shooter, you could pick one special weapon for every stage from a big list of neat specials; but once you used a particular one, you could never pick it again. Save the homing missiles for later, or use it for this stage? Such a dilemma!

I was also going to suggest Zombies Ate My Neighbors!, but apparently that is a pretty good cult classic that might not be considered overlooked.....

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The metric for overlooked is always going to be weird because I suppose amongst certain communities things that are considered classics aren't even known in others.

The two I mentioned are things I rarely hear mentioned at the places I read about video games, but I guess other people might be using another metric to determine what is and what is not?

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »

It's not a remake, so much as it is a sequel, and not a very good one.
    Yeah, it was pretty bad, actually.

Was Astal overlooked? So gorgeous back then, although I don't remember if the gameplay was much of anything.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    midori_foxmidori_fox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Star Tropics 1 and 2 nes
    Blade Runner Pc
    Anyone play Lost Vikings on the sega?
    Beetle Bug Racing n64
    Popful Mail sega cd

midori_fox on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Speaking of Herzog Zwei, apparently some random dude on srk is selling his. No manual though. But hey, it's a classic.

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=229218&p=8558833#post8558833

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Growlanser_II_-_The_Sense_of_Justice_Coverart.png

Released as part of the Growlanser Generations two-pack in the US, this is definitely the better game.

It cost Working Designs their company, but they went out with a bang.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vIHcxGyIA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Ranger

Rocket Ranger! Which may be more well known than I realized, since it wasn't just an Amiga game like I thought.

What a game. Alternate-history World War 2. Manage spies. Fly a moon rock powered rocket-pack. Attack nazis in pyramids, or BF109s, or zeppelins! Or miscalculate / read your decoder wheel wrong, and watch as your rocket pack sputters out over the atlantic and you fall to your death. Box with nazi guards! Build a spacecraft.

I'm watching that whole youtube video. It's been way too long since I played this game. Forgot how awesome the music and sound effects are, though they're actually a bit tame for Amiga-fare.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Growlanser_II_-_The_Sense_of_Justice_Coverart.png

Released as part of the Growlanser Generations two-pack in the US, this is definitely the better game.

It cost Working Designs their company, but they went out with a bang.
    Yet another great game that was never ported to the PAL regions..

The day that region coding dies is not a day too soon.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    To this day, the UK has gotten only one game that the US didn't that I want.

Maken_Shao_-_Demon_Sword_Coverart.jpg

Also fits the topic. It's a port of a Dreamcast FPS(lasher). Probably the best action game Atlus has ever done.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    197555_42287.jpg
    Such a fun FPS for the N64, but most people just hated it cause it wasn't Goldeneye

588313_40197.jpg
    The original SPORE

197715_27914.jpg
    I'm going to go ahead and say in a time when Tekken and MK dominated this franchise was an often
    overlooked but fun fighter.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To this day, the UK has gotten only one game that the US didn't that I want.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Maken_Shao_-_Demon_Sword_Coverart.jpg

Also fits the topic. It's a port of a Dreamcast FPS(lasher). Probably the best action game Atlus has ever done.

I've still only played about an hour into it. Maybe I'll pick it up again one day.
    Who am I kidding? That thing is probably going to be on my shelf till the end of time.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Yeah - Crystalis is the shit, but I don't think it's overlooked. I've beaten that game several times.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If this hasn't been mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_Fire

Then it should have! One of few good games on the 3DO, and one I wish they'd do a modern remake of (or at least just a port with network play)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    If this hasn't been mentioned:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_Fire

Then it should have! One of few good games on the 3DO, and one I wish they'd do a modern remake of (or at least just a port with network play)

YES YES!

Flight of the Bumblebee NEVER sounded as good.

edit: Bumblebee I mean

Xaquin on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Slipheed I know you're on top of this one but a franchise that's kind of fallen off of the map, to my great sadness:
    Crusader-no-Remorse.jpg

Peen on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I finally took the time to look into Street Fighter 2010. Apparently it was another product of wacky localization by Capcom USA. In Japan, the main character and story have no links to Street Fighter whatsoever.
    Yes, but it was still made by Capcom and still published and advertised as a Street Fighter game, even in Japan. While these days sequels may just end up being polished-and-bigger versions of their originals changing the mechanics and even genres with further games was pretty common place back then. Just look at Sonic Spinball, or the Ghosts 'n Goblins take on The Incredible Machine (wish that got a Western release).

Glal on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rakai wrote: »
    Crystalis River City Ransom was the best NES game

...and I will fight you on this. Overlooked at the time of release but not so much these days.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Crusader: No Remorse was an excellent game, but I wouldn't call it 'overlooked'.

I mean, it was popular enough to spawn a sequel.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Let's not forget the poster child for overlooked classics, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (and if you just posted a picture without any text then you're a dick, it's impossible to Ctrl-F pictures ;-)).

terranovacover.jpg

Squad based combat before it became popular... which of course meant the game flopped terribly and nearly killed Looking Glass Studios right there and then. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be in front.

terranovalandscape.gifterranovapbas.gif

Glal on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Does Soul Blazer count as overlooked? Not for me, at least!

I loved that game. So fucking much. Also Illusion of Gaia.

So good. Not sure if they are overlooked cause I owned and loved both

But Illusion of Gaia was hard as shit. Though, as a child I didn't know you had to kill all the monsters in the room to get an upgrade.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Monthenor wrote: »

...and I will fight you on this. Overlooked at the time of release but not so much these days.

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    splash_stellar7-splash.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFlXU-1T5m0

In 1990, running on DOS?

This thing blew my mind.

I've also never met anyone else who knew what the hell it was.

Someone else purchased that game? I believe this calls for a daaaamn.

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF SHIT
    OH MY MOTHERFUCKING MONKEY
    I'VE BEEN TRYING TO RECALL THIS GAME'S NAME THE LAST 20 YEARS.

I wanted to mention this game in every single old games thread, but I never remembered its name.

Thanks man

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darmak wrote: »
    Monthenor wrote: »

How does it feel to be so wrong?
    It feels so good, like I just chugged a Karma Jolt.

EDIT: Sorry about the totp. Here's some content:

Cocoron! A game so overlooked that the only reliable information on it comes from Something Awful...including this Let's Play by a Keebler Elf

It's quite flagrantly built on the Mega Man 2 engine -- somehow reverse-engineered -- and features build-your-own-hero gameplay. Heads, bodies, and weapons are combined to create a monstrosity used to play an otherwise standard platformer. Eventually you build a team of monstrosities to tackle the levels.

This game makes you ask the tough questions. Do you want the boat body, or the jetpack? Is it cooler to have a robot head or a dragon? Do pencils or baseballs hurt more?

It's the source of my old long-standing forum avatar, UGLY: UGLY_anim.gif

Monthenor on