As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Dawn of War II: Retribution (soon-to-be-released expansion)

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    widowson wrote: »
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Well, got Chaos Rising because I enjoyed the campaign of the first game. What a mistake.

Rampant bugs ruin half the missions. My Tarkus squad randomly freezes every other mission, sometimes twice a mission. I have to call in a sigmum strike to break him loose. I actually leveled Avictus to be able to use the Sigmum as an energy ability JUST so I could reliably break him loose from this bug.

Another bug is that randomly squads are just dying. No enemies nearby, they just die. It only happens at spawn beacons. Sometimes after reviving them anything that comes in the spawn beacon dies instantly resulting in a pile of corpses and no way to get the squad back to full health except running to another beacon. I leveled Cyrus to be able to use the stim kits as an energy ability just because of this, and I don't let him near Spawn Beacons until I've tested they're not bugged.

Relic apparently confused gimick with challenge. Enemies are laden with more knock back effects than Cyrus and Tarkus on crack. Those new Eldar squads not only knock back my units, but can OHKO most of my squads as well. The best part? They spawn these squads into boss battles against Avatars. Hey Relic? That's not fun.

Are we playing the same game?

I believe you, but this sounds like a corrupted game file or something because I've had none of these issues and beat the campaign in a few days.

I've had none of those problems, I'm half wondering if that's one of those weird issues that comes up when you have a pirated game or something?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I actually tried it first with genestealers for the same reasons you mentioned. Seems like more explosions = more damage. But I found I was doing a lot more damage with the guard. However, the genestealer comes in a group of three, which means 3x more invuls. The problem with it is at higher levels they get shredded instantly, often before they get in range to do any damage when they do explode. And it also makes things more tricky on wave 16.

But them getting shredded instantly sounds exactly like what you want anyway? I don't know, I haven't got the explosion wargear with the tyrant yet, but if they die quickly (which they do) exploding genestealers sounds like an more or less instant bomb with short range, short cd and low mana cost. Sounds great.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    I actually tried it first with genestealers for the same reasons you mentioned. Seems like more explosions = more damage. But I found I was doing a lot more damage with the guard. However, the genestealer comes in a group of three, which means 3x more invuls. The problem with it is at higher levels they get shredded instantly, often before they get in range to do any damage when they do explode. And it also makes things more tricky on wave 16.

But them getting shredded instantly sounds exactly like what you want anyway? I don't know, I haven't got the explosion wargear with the tyrant yet, but if they die quickly (which they do) exploding genestealers sounds like an more or less instant bomb with short range, short cd and low mana cost. Sounds great.

With the -50% energy cost, the cost of the guard is trivial, and having the genestealers dying quickly is sometimes not beneficial, like when they die before getting into explosion range - which is rather small - and they do less damage and the cooldown is the same length I believe. Plus the guard has other beneficial abilities, like taunt, and is still a decent fighter for when you don't want or don't need to have him die just yet.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Well, got Chaos Rising because I enjoyed the campaign of the first game. What a mistake.

Rampant bugs ruin half the missions. My Tarkus squad randomly freezes every other mission, sometimes twice a mission. I have to call in a sigmum strike to break him loose. I actually leveled Avictus to be able to use the Sigmum as an energy ability JUST so I could reliably break him loose from this bug.

Another bug is that randomly squads are just dying. No enemies nearby, they just die. It only happens at spawn beacons. Sometimes after reviving them anything that comes in the spawn beacon dies instantly resulting in a pile of corpses and no way to get the squad back to full health except running to another beacon. I leveled Cyrus to be able to use the stim kits as an energy ability just because of this, and I don't let him near Spawn Beacons until I've tested they're not bugged.

Relic apparently confused gimick with challenge. Enemies are laden with more knock back effects than Cyrus and Tarkus on crack. Those new Eldar squads not only knock back my units, but can OHKO most of my squads as well. The best part? They spawn these squads into boss battles against Avatars. Hey Relic? That's not fun.

I believe you, but this sounds like a corrupted game file or something because I've had none of these issues and beat the campaign in a few days.

I've had none of those problems, I'm half wondering if that's one of those weird issues that comes up when you have a pirated game or something?

Yeah, I'd appreciate it if you never accused me of pirating a Relic game ever again. I own the entire DoW1 series, with 2 titles owned in duplicate on Steam, both DoW2 and Chaos Rising, and the entire CoH series with a physical set of copies AND a Steam set.

I've single-handedly paid for Croak's wife's diamond studded vibrator. I can bitch about a bug if I want.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    RetzinskyRetzinsky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Preview of the next balance patch here: http://community.dawnofwar2.com/forums/topic/38777

Notes reposted below. Talkinghead told me about the patch, but I shamelessly stole the right to post them. I win at foruming.
    Hey guys,

I am really happy to see that, for the most part, the balance of Chaos Rising has been well received. We understand there are a few things sticking out that are ruining the fun for some players so we set out to address those right after Chaos Rising went live.

I'd like to share with you a preview of the 2.2 balance patch notes for CR. Please remember that these are on-going, being tested and may not represent the final patch. I, however, can say that they are fairly comprehensive of the issues we want to address in 2.2. Also please note that other changes unrelated to balance will not be represented in this list.

2.2 Balance Patch Notes (WIP)

Chaos

- - Inferno Bolters damage has been reduced from 39 to 35

- - Chaos Predator max speed increased to 5.7 from 5.2

- - Chaos Lord has had his armour type changed from Heavy Infantry to Commander

- - Removed melee resistance from the Bloodcrusher

- - Increased the in combat ranged modifier to 1 from 0.5 for the Bloodcrusher

- - Bloodcrusher size has been changed to Large from Huge

Space Marines

- - Predator Tank max speed increased to 5.7 from 5.2

- - Assault Terminators with Storm Hammers and Thunder Shield

o Increased damage to 90 from 75

o Increased special attack damage to 67 from 65

- - Assault Terminators with Lightning Claws

o Change damage type from Melee Heavy to Power Melee

o Decrease damage to 70 from 95

o Decrease special attack damage to 57 from 72

o Decrease splash damage to 12 from 20

o Removed additional 360 degree damage (20) from special attack

- - Force Commander Terminator Lightning Claws

o Change damage type from Melee Heavy to Power Melee

o Decrease damage to 70 from 100

o Decrease special attack damage to 57 from 72

o Decrease splash damage to 12 from 20

o Removed additional 360 degree damage (20) from special attack

- - Librarian’s Smite ability will no longer sometimes instantly cooldown after firing

Eldar

- - Fire Prism max speed increased to 5 from 4.5

- - Wraithguard can no longer fire on the move

- - Shuriken Cannon Guardian HP has been reduced to 225 from 275 per member

Orks

- - Looted Tank max speed increased to 5.5 from 5

Tyranids

- - Ravener Tunnel HP has been reduced to 175 from 250

Bug Fixes

- - Bloodcrusher now has appropriate upkeep cost

- - Stikkbomb_pvp damage type has been modified to damage units in buildings

- - Plague Marine Champion death explosion will no longer hurt invulnerable units

- - Force Commander and Assault Terminator lightning claw special attack changed from a 0.5 second sweep to an instant pie attack.

- - Ravener Alpha no longer reduces his AV damage modifier by re-equipping the corrosive devourer multiple times

- - The received range damage modifier while fleet of foot is active on a Banshee squad with an Exarch is now exclusive and will no longer stack with other received range damage modifiers

- - The received range damage modifier from Distortion field is now exclusive and will no longer stack with other received range damage modifiers

To all you Wraithguard spammers, Tzeentch marine massers etc... Enjoy your crutches while they last.

Retzinsky on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Yeah, I'd appreciate it if you never accused me of pirating a Relic game ever again. I own the entire DoW1 series, with 2 titles owned in duplicate on Steam, both DoW2 and Chaos Rising, and the entire CoH series with a physical set of copies AND a Steam set.

I've single-handedly paid for Croak's wife's diamond studded vibrator. I can bitch about a bug if I want.
    Plus everyone knows that the copy protection for the campaign actually consists of forcing pirates to play as Ultramarines, the most boring Space Marine chapter.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Retzinsky wrote: »
    Bug Fixes
    - Force Commander and Assault Terminator lightning claw special attack changed from a 0.5 second sweep to an instant pie attack.

Double posting because I felt it necessary to highlight the "instant pie attack" which I think is my favorite phrase from any set of patch notes ever in the history of the world.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Will going from heavy armor to commander armor make the chaos lord take more damage from suppression weapons?

Also, I wouldn't mind the wraith guard fix if they weren't so fucking retarded. Often I will order them to attack something in their LOS and range and they will charge towards it while firing. Often it will be a melee unit, which is the opposite of what I want to happen. Please fix that bug and limit the number of wraithguard units, before preventing them from firing on the move.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I felt it necessary to highlight the "instant pie attack" which I think is my favorite phrase from any set of patch notes ever in the history of the world.

Dimensional Spider Priest is better

Alegis on
  • Options
    talkingheadtalkinghead Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Still no lictor alpha buffs?

talkinghead on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Those notes actually seem pretty great. Except that heretic explosions need to do much less damage on retreating units.

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shame it doesn't work that way Tek (even if I still had a wife, even a cubic zircon joy toy would be out of my price range...let alone the battery upkeep), but i appreciate all the purchases in the form of still having a company to work for.

Seriously, do the verify game cache routine and make sure there's no mods.

Croak on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vancouver has tons of renewable energy resources, just get a plug for it Croak and avoid battery costs.

I think Al Gore mentioned that as one of the easiest ways to go green, get extension cords and plug in your sex toys!

Seriously though, great expansion pack. Loved the campaign and really loved the space hulk levels. More of them please.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shame it doesn't work that way Tek (even if I still had a wife, even a cubic zircon joy toy would be out of my price range...let alone the battery upkeep), but i appreciate all the purchases in the form of still having a company to work for.

Seriously, do the verify game cache routine and make sure there's no mods.

DIMENSIONAL SPIDER PRIEST

make it happen

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    - - Removed melee resistance from the Bloodcrusher

- - Increased the in combat ranged modifier to 1 from 0.5 for the Bloodcrusher

- - Bloodcrusher size has been changed to Large from Huge

What exactly do those 3 mean? Specially the last one. (Are there damage modifiers based on size or something?)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Basically, the Bloodcrusher will take more melee damage and be easier to hit with ranged weapons, and going from Large to Huge means pretty much nothing will miss it, even big AV weapons.

Croak on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    - Wraithguard can no longer fire on the move

<3<3<3<3<3

Although.. with the LC nerfs... what is the point of getting the upgrade now? The new weapon type means they do less against vehicles too, correct? Seems safer to just roll with hammers then.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    They're still AoE weapons, which has some utility, I'm sure.

Croak on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Croak wrote: »
    They're still AoE weapons, which has some utility, I'm sure.

Lightning claws really did need a nerf.

However the fact Bloodcrushers are still dirt cheap means they better be easier to ki-ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps a bit of an over-nerf on the AT LC. Though perhaps not, given that they still kick the ass of the Seer Council who cost even more.

Wraithguard not firing on the move sounds good, and should help fix the firing while being meleed thing as well. Though I'd expect to still see Wraithguard blobs moving slowly forward, stopping to gib everything in range, then moving forward again.

And Bloodcrusher nerfs are definitely welcome.

Sepah on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow these notes are really impressive, looks like all the major issues have been taken care of (with the exception of Cultist explosion retreat damage). There will still be some imbalances but this should clear up most of the "FUCK THIS GAME" moments in multiplayer.

Think we can see this released on Monday or is that too optimistic?

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Far too optimistic.

Croak on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Does this contain your fixes to the single player boss too?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    are there any command line switches to force decent graphic settings? I can change it all in the menu, then when it does the restart it never applies it, just resets it to "look like foggy dogshit" mode. I've edited the LUA and made it read only and it's still doing nothing.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    RiddoxRiddox Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Woah. That looks like it'll solve or at least help quite a few of the crazy stuff. :)
    Retzinsky wrote: »
    - The received range damage modifier from Distortion field is now exclusive and will no longer stack with other received range damage modifiers

Or you could have removed the silly Exarch super bonus. Still don't understand why Banshees need the sheer strength and endurance (fragile race indeed) to run right up to a suppression squad without using any skill or tact. If this is going to go on Banshees need to stop having 300 courage. Heck, why do they have 300 courage?

I want to see how the Tzeentch guys and BC changes turn out.

My other fledgling concern is that people have, and probably still will, raise eyebrows at the WG price, especially when in comparison to the other mobile artillery unit in T2, the zoey. Most importantly at least the counters will actually counter them, at least before being molested by banshees.

Riddox on
    Gamertag: Ridley 8
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Does this contain your fixes to the single player boss too?

Yes it does...we'll get all the SP patch notes up in the near future.

Croak on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Croak who's dumb idea was it to make the Chaos Lord immune to suppression AND knockback

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    are there any command line switches to force decent graphic settings? I can change it all in the menu, then when it does the restart it never applies it, just resets it to "look like foggy dogshit" mode. I've edited the LUA and made it read only and it's still doing nothing.

I have the same thing - it always turns down post processing and rain for me, and cranks up the audio volume. It also no longer saves my colour schemes.

Very odd.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Still no lictor alpha buffs?

Yeah come to think of it, it would be great if my favorite hero wasn't worthless. Give Liccy some wuv :(

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    verbel wrote: »
    I am enjoying the campaign quite a bit. I wish I hadn't lost my save from my origonal playthrough though.

I am holding off on buying the expansion until I beat the original campaign again. I wish there was a cloud setting, like for Steam, where they kept your recorded progress, because godDAMN do I miss my assault terminator squad.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finished the campaign as a heretic this time. The chaos world powers kinda trivialise things, but I have learned new stuff!

1. Cyrus + melee tree = free shotgun super mines. Screw frag grenades when you can instagib shit.
    2. Cyrus + subjugate = never have to fire a shot again. Oh, and feel free to use subjugated units to tank bosses for you.

I'm guessing this campaign won't be as hard on primarch as the original, given how much cheese there is to spam.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thaddeus's upgraded Merciless Strike is just crazy.

Drool on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I'm curious if anyone has sandboxed the AI for the Chaos Dreadnought?

It seems like the Tzeench rocket upgrade only uses ranged attack on infantry, because when trying to attack power gen farms, he likes to walk right up to it and melee it with his other hand, and I'm pretty sure he does the same thing with vehicles. I'm also pretty sure he was set to range stance at the time....

Shit.. I'm going to go sandbox this right now.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I got me a new GT since I can't remember the password to my old one. Could you please add abstrakt11 to the list? I want to spam heretics with some PA people.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Played my first 1v1 online match. Of course the first player I fought spammed the hell out of Wraithguards. He was beating me by 3/4 the majority of the game. I would steal what I could when his back was turned and managed to keep myself in the game that way.

Then I discovered bloodletters...

The tides turned REAL fast as I got more and more use to the bloodletters. With my tzee CSM squad, a tzee dreadnaught thingy, and two groups of bloodletters I had him running back to base like a scared little boy.

Then he whipped out the avatar! Guess controlling 3/4 of the map the entire game let him save up enough cash.

So the avatar walks into my group of bloodletters and gets ripped the hell apart. He must have been PISSED I took out his avatar so easy. He didn't manage to kill one of my squads.

To his credit he didn't rage quit and stayed in the match till I won.

Damn bloodletters are awesome!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yep, just double checked it, he very much likes to walk up / chase into melee range other walker units even when he has his Tzeench upgrade.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yep, just double checked it, he very much likes to walk up / chase into melee range other walker units even when he has his Tzeench upgrade.

Does he do this even if you don't issue an attack command? Or can you let him prioritize himself?

Vic_Hazard on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Does he do this even if you don't issue an attack command? Or can you let him prioritize himself?

He doesn't seem to do it if you directly click on a unit for him to attack. I didn't notice him doing it when he's just standing around either. Only when you give him an attack move command does he seem to like to chase enemies down and punch 'um.

Very annoying, I haven't really paid much attention to it untill you pointed it out. I do remember thinking allot, WHY THE F*** is HE THERE?

Almost as annoying as turning you back on bloodletters for 1 second, only to find them in the enemies base.

But I have a quick question.

Is there any point to upgrading your CSM with the khorne upgrade? Bloodletters fill the tier 2 melee role SO MUCH BETTER and the tzee upgrade is so damn good, I don't see why anyone would upgrade to khorne.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You can curse here

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I thought this had disappeared from the internet, but a friend of mine dug it up and asked if it were me.

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Kinderparty_vs_Naaldak/

It's a pretty humorous replay from old school DOW2. Back when warriors in tunnels was the thing and spore mines/gaunts were as good as they've ever been. Eldar were also about as worthless as can be. It holds no educational value now, but we had a lot of fun watching it over again. Especially the ending.

Sadly it doesn't have the hilarious commentary attached.

Kinderparty on