As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Overlooked classics

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Of course, no one knows about this game except for me but obligatory:

1363506902_7c3f8f8537.jpg

Dark Colony was a horribly broken RTS released during the beginning of the Starcraft era that pitted humans against "Gray" type aliens. The battles in this game were so epic due to a lack of unit limit and pretty easy (read:broken) economic mechanics. I remember I had a battle that literally lasted about 6 whole hours of constant dying on both sides. It also had one of those nifty buttons you could push to take you to the last "great battle" where there would always be some type of giant crater field or giant mass grave of units. The only game that's really came close to the epicness since then has probably got to be Supreme Commander (Which is really cheating because that game has you build thousands of barracks or whatnot to get your units up). Or maybe those golem custom maps in SC/Warcraft3. This game had the same amount of units coming out of a single barracks. Apparently its become open source but I'm not too sure about that. I do know that I would buy it from GOG.com in a heartbeat though.
    b1.jpg

89515_large.jpeg

1252_48a8064516610.jpg

Oh, the aliens also had an artillery unit that literally was just a giant slug that shot poop from its butt.

Ahhh Childhood memories.

edit: fuck yeah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ByIYt_Wp4I

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, I bought Dark Colony at launch. It was a time when RTS games still felt new, and that game was fucking beautiful when I first played the demo. Awesome base-building system, too, that was actually way ahead of its time.

Of course, being complete shit at RTSs I could never progress beyond a few missions. Didn't help that it was abnormally difficult even for the genre.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Bill Cosby wrote: »
    Starsiege_Box_Cover.jpg

One of my all time favorite games. Often overshadowed by the Mechwarrior series but Starsiege had so much style that I still think its at least on par with mechwarrior. Also it has Mark Hamil in it and some of the best music in a mech game.

I was heavy into the multiplayer for this game. Nothing like rocking an Olympian with 4 Blasters and 2 EMPs with an SMOD and bare bones computers and sensors to compensate for the huge weight and heat issues that loadout caused.

Man, I played so much Starsiege online. It seemed so unique at the time compared to mech warrior.

I came here to post this and I'm happy that I was beaten!

This game is legendary in my circle of friends. It still makes me sad that it was/is so overlooked because it blew away the competition in every way imaginable.

We formed a clan, setup a website, fashioned a custom logo for our team, raided servers, etc. It showed us all the magic of team-oriented online gaming!

And so many amazing times were had! Sniping the toes of Olympians, shooting out the crotches of Apocs, making a cloaked tank with a turbo to surprise ram an enemy into oblivion... and of course the elusive Cloaked Exec that came oh so close to ambushing one of us, almost causing him to quit the game forever (it was a bet)! bahahaha

Must play...

Becoming on
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Glal wrote: »
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I finally took the time to look into Street Fighter 2010. Apparently it was another product of wacky localization by Capcom USA. In Japan, the main character and story have no links to Street Fighter whatsoever.
    Yes, but it was still made by Capcom and still published and advertised as a Street Fighter game, even in Japan. While these days sequels may just end up being polished-and-bigger versions of their originals changing the mechanics and even genres with further games was pretty common place back then. Just look at Sonic Spinball, or the Ghosts 'n Goblins take on The Incredible Machine (wish that got a Western release).

WHAAAAA? I must have this!

DaSniper91 on
  • irnirn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    LCDXX wrote: »
    250px-Solar_Jetman_cover.jpg

Part shooter, part gravity-based puzzle game. Each of the 12+ planets had varying levels of gravity that affect the inertia of your ship. Each stage had a number heavy cargo drops (collectibles, fuel, etc.) that you had to locate, hook onto with a tow cable and drag them back to your shuttle.

The game was very difficult, but SO much fun. Unfortunately, it was a commercial flop in the US (although it was pretty popular in Europe).

In fact, I was just reminiscing about Solar Jetman when PixelJunk Shooter! was released - that game made me wish for a Solar Jetman remake like no other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaTJAw0QDH0

SILLY GOOSE this game when I was like 8 years old... SILLY GOOSE it to hell

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DaSniper91 wrote: »
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    I finally took the time to look into Street Fighter 2010. Apparently it was another product of wacky localization by Capcom USA. In Japan, the main character and story have no links to Street Fighter whatsoever.
    Yes, but it was still made by Capcom and still published and advertised as a Street Fighter game, even in Japan. While these days sequels may just end up being polished-and-bigger versions of their originals changing the mechanics and even genres with further games was pretty common place back then. Just look at Sonic Spinball, or the Ghosts 'n Goblins take on The Incredible Machine (wish that got a Western release).
    WHAAAAA? I must have this!
    Behold! <3 chibi Arthur.

[edit] Just realized it's technically possible to play this on my PSP. Life is good...

Glal on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    anyone remember Faxanadu for the NES?

I loved that game, but I don't know too many people who have even heard of it.

Xaquin on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »

I've actually been replaying that game, it's pretty fucking great. The only thing I hate is the password system uses lowercase and uppercase letters, and the letter O and the number 0 look too similar. So much frustration as a child from that.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Rescue on Fractalus! is a game that few people have ever played. Which is a shame, because it's wicked fun even all these years later, and was damned impressive on the Atari computer system it was made on.

2h3of1g.jpg

tafx9t.jpg

It was also one of the God Damned most frightening games ever.
    312i9td.gif

I... I admit it... I still jump, even today, when I play this game. The tension is still there. Is that a pilot? Did I just see a flash of gr-- OH GOD!

Such an awesome game! I had a version for the Atari 800 called "Behind Jaggi Lines" I think they just changed the name. First time that green bugger pounded on my window I almost fell out of my seat.

Man, if we want to go that old-school. Anyone remember Space Taxi for the C64?

Pastee on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if it's considered overlooked now, but at the time, I know for a fact that of all my friends who had an Atari 2600, none of them had ever heard of this game, and everyone who's come over and watched me playing it has said "What the hell is this thing?"

Activision's "Megamania"

Until I turned 31, got an Activision Compilation disc for PS2, and had a friend come over and recognize the game, I thought the only two people in the world who had ever played this game were me and my older brother. The concept is gold: A Klingon Bird of Prey shoots day-glo colored junkfood and household appliances that fall from the sky. Cookies, Caterpillars, Radial Tires, Hamburgers, Bow Ties.

I know there were patches you could win if you took a photo of your high score and sent them to Activision, but I never tried it. To this date, the most addictive game I've ever played.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

I've actually been replaying that game, it's pretty fucking great. The only thing I hate is the password system uses lowercase and uppercase letters, and the letter O and the number 0 look too similar. So much frustration as a child from that.

Apparently that's one of the few games in a long running series that was brought over here. Same series as Legacy of the Wizard, actually! Which is another ridiculously hard NES game, of course.

http://hg101.kontek.net/dragonslayer/dragonslayer.htm

And, if you're going to link one of the Cocoron videos, you have to show the best one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1O3Q869mRQ

~Drive on singing ninja tank, turn and bank, ninja tank. Alto voice and black belt rank, wind up crank, ninja tank.~

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I owned it and loved it! I wasn't sure if it was worthy of "classic" status though since I never knew of anyone else that played it.. haha

Becoming on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Let's not forget the poster child for overlooked classics, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (and if you just posted a picture without any text then you're a dick, it's impossible to Ctrl-F pictures ;-)).

terranovacover.jpg

Squad based combat before it became popular... which of course meant the game flopped terribly and nearly killed Looking Glass Studios right there and then. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be in front.

terranovalandscape.gifterranovapbas.gif
    I have this game and the original box standing in my bookshelf. :winky:

Silpheed on
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Crusader: No Remorse was an excellent game, but I wouldn't call it 'overlooked'.

I mean, it was popular enough to spawn a sequel.

It seemed like people had expanded the scope of the thread to include forgotten gems and for me that game qualifies. I can't believe that someone hasn't revived it, a version using the same engine that Red Faction Guerilla is running on would be a thing of beauty.

Peen on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Let's not forget the poster child for overlooked classics, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (and if you just posted a picture without any text then you're a dick, it's impossible to Ctrl-F pictures ;-)).

terranovacover.jpg

Squad based combat before it became popular... which of course meant the game flopped terribly and nearly killed Looking Glass Studios right there and then. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be in front.
    I have this game and the original box standing in my bookshelf. :winky:

It runs pretty well on Dosbox too.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    198606_42874_front.jpg196781_41802_front.jpg565045_66715_front.jpg197093_42000_front.jpg

These pretty much got me through high school.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited March 2010
    None of them were exactly overlooked.

Glal on
    edited March 2010

Only by those who probably aren't hitting 30 like myself.

Youngsters these days have no clue what any of those are, except maybe the Descent series (Freespace keeps it alive, slightly).

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Might as well start listing all half-decent pre-2000 games then... :P

Glal on
    edited March 2010

My apologies that my definition of 'overlooked' skews from yours.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hillean wrote: »

Only by those who probably aren't hitting 30 like myself.

Youngsters these days have no clue what any of those are, except maybe the Descent series (Freespace keeps it alive, slightly).

Freespace is the one that's overlooked! I didn't sell very well I think. I hark back to my old gaming days. Back when I bought Fallout 1 by just reading a preview, or played the demo for X-Com 3 and bought that series. Or played a demo for Thief and bought that. You don't seem to stumble on classics like that these days.

Terra Nova was overlooked and awesome. I played the demo, loved it, but never found it in retail so I never bought it... It's a lot like Tribes for some reason.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

HAHA, I read this thread title and instantly thought of that game, but then I remembered that I completely hated it.

Mgcw on
    edited March 2010
    Mgcw wrote: »

HAHA, I read this thread title and instantly thought of that game, but then I remembered that I completely hated it.

I liked it quite a bit, but there were many frustrating parts, and until you started getting some good items you died pretty damn easily.

This was the first game that introduced me to 'farming'.

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
    edited March 2010
    Karnov.jpg

How bout some good old Karnov?

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Edit: Bleh nevermind
    Olivaw wrote: »
    33axvfc.jpg1027.jpeg

2z8ceit.jpgEvil_Genius_Coverart.png

I loved each of these games so much

So much

I wanna be your friend forever. :D

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Picked up Faxanadu. The music is AWESOME. Almost as good as Solstice.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    1027.jpeg

So much

I just recently bought FutureCop on ebay for like $4. It is amazing. The music is the best part.

urahonky on
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ^5 for the No One Lives Forever love. I loved both games to pieces. I had a hearty guffaw at the full reveal of the main villain in the first game. I think NOLF 2 *still* looks pretty snazzy.

Astroboy Omega Factor is the poo. I was pretty blown away once I discovered how the replay mechanics worked. I would normmlly be annoyed at having to replay a game multiple times to unlock stuff, but the fact that doing so unlocked so much more of the story to reveal what you though was the truth was in fact not was pretty cool.

Moonbase Commander! Great game. I got everyone hooked on that bad boy on the local game stores' computer network. I gotta see if I can find my disc somehere...

I wanted to play Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri very badly about the time I was really into Heavy Gear (both pen/paper and computer versions). Found a soitary copy in a CompUSA for like $2... only to find the box had no f-ing disc. I only lost $2, but damn I wanted to play it!

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ironsizide wrote:
    Found a soitary copy in a CompUSA for like $2... only to find the box had no f-ing disc. I only lost $2, but damn I wanted to play it!

CompUSA were some fuckers, back in the day.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    1027.jpeg

So much

I just recently bought FutureCop on ebay for like $4. It is amazing. The music is the best part.

Oh god. SO many hours were spent playing the multiplayer on this as a kid, squished right next to my brother as we each used the keyboard, and getting pissed off at each other for blowing our shit up. Thanks for reminding me about this! :D

Kris on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know if this is "looked over" but I had some great times with The Summoning and always felt sad that there's never a remake.

(Diablo) - (Rigid Classes) + (Puzzle Solving) + (Slightly more RPG)

Subterranean Map overlays, Weight Panels, Secret Locations, Traps, Life-Draining tiles, a very cool weapon, etc etc.

1953-1.jpg

1203_0.jpgsummoning_screenshot2.jpgsummoning_screenshot1.jpg

Reboot on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Cryostasis is still pretty new (1-2 years), but I'm positive it hasn't gotten much attention. It's one of the best games I've ever played, one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game, and it uses some of the most brilliant gaming storytelling conventions I've ever seen. It wraps together an artistic, atmospheric package as well as anything else out there, but it really is for the thinking man. I'm able to forgive any of it's gameplay faults just for how bold the ideas are.

Urian on
    edited March 2010
    Aye. I still need to finish it, but some minor niggles aside it's atmospheric as all heck. But then, it's Action Forms, they've a habit of making interesting shooters that get overlooked (I've a soft spot for Vivisector's arena set piece design, despite the game suffering from its delayed release date visually).

Glal on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played it for a while and it didn't really grab me. I have no idea what's going on in it.

LaCabra on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Psychic Force and Psychic Fox were pretty rad sauce.

And I don't know how appropriately looked Alex Kidd in Shinobi World was, but it's much better than the game it parodied. And that game was awesome.

Apothe0sis on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hillean wrote: »

My apologies that my definition of 'overlooked' skews from yours.

So, I'm making a bit of a strawman here, but would you say that Citizen Kane, for example, is an overlooked movie?

fake-edit: Citizen Kabuto!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    Urian wrote: »
    Cryostasis is still pretty new (1-2 years), but I'm positive it hasn't gotten much attention. It's one of the best games I've ever played, one of the best stories I've ever seen in a game, and it uses some of the most brilliant gaming storytelling conventions I've ever seen. It wraps together an artistic, atmospheric package as well as anything else out there, but it really is for the thinking man. I'm able to forgive any of it's gameplay faults just for how bold the ideas are.

I might have similar feelings if it wasn't a technical abortion. Even with all the settings turned down, I cannot get a framerate that consistently goes above 10. And I'm not even running an outdated rig here, either. I just got Metro 2033, and it runs wonderfully.

I want to play Cryostasis, but it is almost literally unplayable.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited March 2010
    For me it runs smoothly with occasional frame drops with everything cranked up (except FSAA and with anisotropic filtering at 4) on a 1.86GHz C2D and an 8800GT. So, slowest dual core on the market and an almost 3 year-old card. Did you try updating your drivers?

Glal on
    edited March 2010
    Did you try updating your drivers?

I hope you're joking, but

YES

Cherrn on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Psychic Force and Psychic Fox were pretty rad sauce.

And I don't know how appropriately looked Alex Kidd in Shinobi World was, but it's much better than the game it parodied. And that game was awesome.

Was Psychic Force that 3d fighting game where you floated in the arena?

I remember when I was young we flew over to england and my cousin had a playstation with that game. It was all I ever did when I was there

Dixon on