As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unofficial PAX-EAST 2010 Community DVD - Edited 11/13

ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front ProductionsLake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in PAX Archive
PAXEast2010DVDlogolarge.png
Official website!
Twitter!
Facebook fan page!

EDIT 11/13
It's still coming together, don't worry! I've just uploaded a video showcasing a bit of our collaboration with Metroid Metal. They were kind enough to let us use their own footage of the concert, so we're integrating it with our own. Take a look, and hopefully you'll look forward to seeing the full thing soon! (Pro Tip, it's posted below the updates!)

EDIT 10/23
We're nearing the home stretch of completing this East DVD set. I can't give a good release window yet as it's still hard to say when we'll be done, but there will be announcements before too long. We could always use help with post production though. We have many things to be done for each project, some tasks are pretty basic and don't require any experience, and others are more advanced stuff. So if anybody wants to help take a bit of the work load off of us and get the project(s) released a bit sooner, please let us know. Register on our website and send a PM to PapaPrinny or shoot him an email at papaprinny@paxcommunitydvd.net and he'll let ya know what we still need done.

All I ask is that you all have patience. We're doing a lot of extra little things for this project and that's why it's taking so long, but we're confident that you all will be quite satisfied with it. The Prime 2010 set should take much less time to finish, and I can't wait to start on that because our concert footage is incredible. So I probably won't update again until we're on that home stretch and about ready to launch.

EDIT 8/11
I will be editing the OP here with any footage we release. We've got some more people on our team to help with filming and post production, and this set is coming together. I apologize for not having it released sooner, but rest assured it's being worked on and a top priority of ours. Unfortunately it's likely that it will not be available until September, but even after PAX Prime is over with, this will remain our priority until it's finished. Until then, please enjoy the videos posted below.

Footage from the Unofficial PAX East 2010 Community DVD
10 minute preview trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqq3efZOKnc

Metroid Metal performing Kraid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ66e5xV5nM

The Protomen performing The Hounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATsmQDeavC0

The Protomen performing Breaking Out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO1-7gINh-g

Coultron performing The Future Soon. (NOT a final edit, it's obvious what's wrong with this video and it will be fixed on the DVD's. Still awesome though.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hpNbwJTpco

PAX East says hello to Qs23. Something for all of you awesome forumers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z7TbH4RZ2o

Original post in the spoiler(s) below.
The Unofficial PAX East 2010 Community DVD needs your help!
PAX East has come and gone, and the Unofficial PAX East 2010 Community DVD wants your footage!

What footage is the Community DVD looking for?
Anything, really! So long as it's PAX related, we want footage of it! The idea of the PAX Community DVD is to share the PAX experience, and all of it! If we could, we would get every moment of the event on film! But whatever footage you take at PAX or on your way to PAX, be it you hanging out with your friends, unplanned hijinks caught on film within the expo center, so long as it has anything to do with PAX or getting to PAX, we want it! So if you plan on taking a video camera with you, let us know after PAX either right here or on our Video Submissions page (http://www.paxcommunitydvd.net/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=3)!
If your video is longer than 10 minutes (the youtube cap), post it here and we'll provide you with our FTP server info.

What footage is the Community DVD in dire need of?
Due to our main crew's small size this year, we really, REALLY want the Mega64 and Scott Kurtz panels! Roadblock has generously offered to film the Mega 64 panel, so that leaves us with the priceless Scott Kurtz! If you are planning to attend and you have a video camera, please consider recording it for the Community DVD! We also really want to have footage from the Chiptune 5 concert if anyone plans to attend! Refer to the list at the bottom of this post for details on what else we may want help with.

Do I need special camera equipment to film an event?
Heck no. With the possible exception of low-quality cell phone footage, so long as it takes video, it's good enough for us.

What if I have no experience handling a camera?
We don't care! You don't have to be a professional videographer. Heck, we aren't! So long as you are able to hold a camera and don't make a habit of wildly shaking your video camera every which way while you record, you are the wo/man for the job!

Will I get credit for my submission?
Absolutely. Be sure to tell us who you are and how you would like your name to appear in the credits, and we'll put it in there.

The bottom line is this:
If you are taking a camera to PAX, we want your footage! The Unofficial PAX Community DVD is programmed by the community, so that's you guys! So arm yourself with tapes, batteries and your camera, and we'll see you in Boston!

What you can expect to see on the DVD.

This is a list of everything you should expect to see on our DVD set.
Lime = Content filmed by our crew
Blue = Community content

PAX East 2010 Keynote - Main Theatre
Penny Arcade Panel #1 - Main Theatre
Friday Night Concerts! - Main Theatre
Mega64: Panel for the Soul - Manticore Theatre
Greetings from a Dead-Tree Dinosaur Cartoonist v1.1 - Manticore Theatre
An Awkward Hour with Rock Band Designers
Penny Arcade Make-a-Strip Panel - Main Theatre
PAX Musical Guests Panel! - Manticore Theatre
A Sophisticated Evening with Rooster Teeth Productions - Main Theatre
Omegathon Round 3 - Main Theatre
Saturday Night Concert - Main Theatre
Media Q&A with Gabe and Tycho
Blamimations ALIVE! with Kris and Scott - Main Theatre
X-Play LIVE: A Show on Television - Manticore Theatre
Pitch Your Game Idea! - Main Theatre
Penny Arcade Panel #2 - Main Theatre
Closing Ceremony - Main Theatre

Who we are and what we're doing. (Original Post)
The time has finally come! The Unofficial DVD crew will be at PAX EAST to capture this insane event on film for those who can't make it. We're not quite at full force (yet at least) though you can bet we'll be there to cover all the big events. We'll be there for the Q&A's, to capture Wil Wheaton's second PAX keynote, to capture all of the PAX-favorite bands up on stage, or the PAX newcomers like the Protomen and Video Game Orchestra. Of course we can't say much more than this yet until we have a schedule, but if there's a big event, we'll be there! We're actually going to be filming a bit on the Cross Country Train Trip as well!

This post will grow in time, but I'm posting it now because we're going to want volunteers. This is a "Community" DVD after all, it's been nothing but a few people volunteering their time to put this all together. We're also going to need community involvement, and that's what I'll be getting into here. Involvement can be as simple as taking pictures or filming certain things to submit to us, but that's not all.

We're going to try our hand at doing interviews. Myself and a friend tried it last year and it went okay considering our lack of equipment, but we know what to do this time around. We're going to keep a list of possible interviewees; people that we know are going to be there that we "may" try to get an interview with. These people can be PAX celebs such as Mike, Jerry, Wil Wheaton, etc., or they could be musicians that are performing, or even game developers that are showing off something new in the expo hall. So how can the community get involved with interviews you may ask? Simple: With this list of possible interviewees, we're going to ask the community (that's all of you!) what type of questions we could ask for each specific person. Sure we could come up with our own, but I much prefer the idea of letting you guys ask some of the questions, especially to the game developers. Whatever list we come up with though isn't something we're going to be limited to. Based on the schedule and exhibitor list, if you guys see something like (for example) Bethesda in the exhibitor list and think "Oh hey I bet they'll be showing off Fallout: New Vegas!," and you have some questions, then feel free to post them here, and hopefully we'll have a chance to get in and speak to them about it. The hotel we're staying at is giving us free internet, so you can all expect to see our interviews posted the night of, unless for any odd reason they would need extensive editing.

When the schedule is released, we're going to have a list of what we will be covering. The list won't be so big because there's only a few of us, and this is what we want volunteers for. We could always use another camera for the concerts, and it would be nice if we had another HD cam, but that won't be required. We could use people to film panels as well, rather it's just one for the whole weekend, or a few, and that of course can be discussed when we have a schedule. Random filming is always good too, if it's a game demonstration in the expo hall, a console or PC tournament, or pretty much anything that you can put together and submit to us, will be great.

So, we have an official website now. I will keep this thread updated, but you will all find more details, updates, and more specific volunteer and involvement threads within our site and forum. From there you can also very easily submit photos to our pool, and submit any videos to us that you've uploaded to YouTube, also very easy.

Well, I believe that is all for now. I will post updates when necessary. I would also like to take this time to say that this project "should" be finished much sooner than the PAX09 project. I've ran into a lot of problems with the '09 project, though I have found ways around them, so I have good hopes! Speaking of which, you can find details about it here or on our site. It's nearing completion, so please have patience.

I hope those of you that can make it are as excited about it as us! It's going to be a great trip.

NSw0gum.png
Coldbrew on

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    We want to interview people. Regular people, musicians, game developers, etc. And we want your help! How can you help? Simple: This post will contain a list of of people we may interview and we want to ask them your questions! You can respond in this thread or in a similar thread on our website.

Not much has been announced yet, but here's what I got so far:

I would like to film a group of people, possibly including myself, playing D&D on Microsoft Surface, and including an interview with those who are developing it. So you can look forward to that.

Questions for any of the PAX bands? They're pretty easy to interview. Here's the list of performers:
    Jonathan Coulton, Paul & Storm, Metroid Metal, The Protomen, MC Frontalot, Anamanaguchi, Video Game Orchestra.

Questions for any of the "PAX celebrities," or just other famous people? Here's our possibilities so far:
    Mike, Jerry, Khoo, (PA Staff), etc (this is unlikely, but it may be possible to get a quick question or statement in somewhere)
    Wil Wheaton
    Mega64
    Bill Amend
    Red vs Blue
    Adam Sessler
    Scott Kurtz
    Reggie Fils-Aime (President of Nintendo of America - He was at PAX09, so if he happens to be at PAX EAST, I will want nothing more than to meet him, shake his hand, and maybe get a quick interview)

Questions for game developers? Games you think will be there that you want to see?

It's mostly speculation thus far and will be pretty much until the event starts, so keep an eye on this thread in the PAX forums for an actual updated list. Thanks to Mentok1982 for said list.

WE NEED HELP!

We only have three people in our crew, and all of us are going to need to be at the concerts each night as soon as possible. This poses a problem, because the Mega64 panel is currently scheduled for 9:30pm Friday night. So if anybody will be going to that panel and has the ability to film it and submit the film to us, that would be amazing! Otherwise we will have an empty spot on our DVD, and we all want that on there!

Of course we could always still use more volunteers to cover other panels or events, even just little things. So if anybody is able and willing to help. please let us know!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Someone should add Bill Amend to this list. everyone's forgetting he's showing up, too, and Foxtrot is rather well-known in geek culture.

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    To people showing off games:

1) What must players learn to master your game, and what other games have you found that also teach players the same things?

Or in other words (if they don't understand): There are very few games people are willing to play indefinitely. Players will buy your game, play it, and eventually get bored with it -- but while they're playing it, they are confronting and mastering challenges, meeting interesting characters, maybe enjoying new types of social, multiplayer gaming that aren't present in other games. Which of these things does YOUR game do that no other recent game does?

2) What's the weirdest question you've been asked today, and how did you answer it?
    2a) Were you tempted to say the weirdest question was the one about the weirdest question, just so your answer would be recursive?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sinkuu wrote: »
    Someone should add Bill Amend to this list. everyone's forgetting he's showing up, too, and Foxtrot is rather well-known in geek culture.

I believe Bill Amend is doing another panel, correct? We actually filmed this panel at PAX09 and it will be on our DVD set. So if he's doing another, depending on the schedule, we may film it again.
    mspencer wrote: »
    To people showing off games:

1) What must players learn to master your game, and what other games have you found that also teach players the same things?

Or in other words (if they don't understand): There are very few games people are willing to play indefinitely. Players will buy your game, play it, and eventually get bored with it -- but while they're playing it, they are confronting and mastering challenges, meeting interesting characters, maybe enjoying new types of social, multiplayer gaming that aren't present in other games. Which of these things does YOUR game do that no other recent game does?

2) What's the weirdest question you've been asked today, and how did you answer it?
    2a) Were you tempted to say the weirdest question was the one about the weirdest question, just so your answer would be recursive?

Thanks for the input! We do have what I believe to be a rather clever idea for "weird questions" to ask certain people, though I really don't want to say what it is because I don't want anybody to see it coming. I could however use that very question directly before asking our own, though.

Oh, and second post edited.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was planning on bringing my HD handheld to Boston and doing tabletop interview and clips for my own website, but I'll happily donate any footage I can to you guys. I'm pretty much going to have the thing on for the entire weekend. :D

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sounds great, we'll gladly accept whatever you're willing to share with us. I'm a tabletop fan myself so I'm going to try to get more of that this year too. Thanks!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "Why must your mouth size awe me into your amazing singing?" -To Jonathan Coulton ;p

Oh yeah, be sure to get whatever they have that continues off of Boo Prank and Bad Hors'd, I bet they'll have something and a good laugh. No one is safe!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the input.

So, Mega64 is having a panel. According to them, it's currently scheduled for Friday, 9:30pm. The three of us will need to get into the concerts as soon as possible, so we will not be able to film this panel if it's this late. Last year, they filmed it themselves, and if they do the same again then it won't be much of an issue, but it's still something we'd like to have our own footage of. If anybody has the capability to film the panel in whatever way and is willing to do so and submit it to us, that would be absolutely amazing.

Also, the Roosterteeth guys confirmed there will be a Red vs Blue panel on Saturday, and of course, we'll be there to film it and catch the first glimpse of the first three episodes of the new season that is premiering the week after PAX. We interviewed Geoff last year, and it would be cool to actually do a more "professional" interview with one or more of the RvB guys this time around, so of course, we'll take whatever questions you all have into consideration.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Let's hope Roosterteeth isn't next to Mega64 again this year ;p... or do we want that?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Let's hope Roosterteeth isn't next to Mega64 again this year ;p... or do we want that?

Personally I do hope so, I thought their little "feud" was hilarious.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As an RT fanboy, I gotta see this. :D

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Updated first and second post.

First post updated with a schedule of what you all "should" expect to see on the finished DVD set as far as panels. We need help with a couple of them (noted on the list). Expect at least some of the panels on the second list to be on the set, though we won't know which ones until our crew goes over everything and figures it out. And if you want to suggest any more, go ahead. Better yet, if anybody can volunteer to film anything that's not on this list and submit it to us, we will gladly accept it and give credit where it is due.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was planning on going to the Mega 64 panel anyway, so I'll cover that.

Do you guys prefer a tripod or will holding it in the audience be alright?

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    X3R0 9X3R0 9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll be joined by two of my staff members at PAX. Let me see what their schedules look like and we'll be more than happy to donate anything that may help out.

X3R0 9 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You guys are awesome!

A tripod would be preferred but you're the one filming it so it's up to you, whatever makes it easier for ya.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright guys and gals, there's only just over two weeks left until PAX.

We still need a volunteer to film the Scott Kurtz panel. We really want this on our set, and the only way it will be is if somebody can volunteer to film it for us. I don't want somebody to go out of their way for us or anything, just if anybody is already planning to attend it and has the ability to film it, that would be great.

I also added the Chiptune 5 "concert" at Jamspace to the priority list. Our crew should be able to work out a schedule so one of us can film it, but if anybody else will be attending and can film it for us, please let us know, because that's a fairly busy time for us.

One more thing, I would really like to get some high resolution shots of the concerts from the second floor balcony. We'll be up close to the stage and won't be able to do it, so if anybody else can get some, please do!

My second post was slightly updated too btw. And we just got a new HD camcorder to use, which I'm excited about.

I think this is all for now. I will update again when necessary.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I just got back from catching The Protomen at SXSW and was talking to them about how stoked they were for PAX E.

Their reactions are that they are going to try and blow the roof off the place.

So I submit a humble plea...GET THAT FOOTAGE OF THAT CONCERT ONLINE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1ONE!!!!!

...please?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dude I'm super psyched to see them play.

I can make this a priority for when I get back home though. I should be able to get something online by the Tuesday after PAX. I'll try anyway.

Honestly, I wish we could setup a live stream from one of our cameras. Maybe some day we'll be able to.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really think you guys are missing a great panel, especially to show the world outside of pax goers what gamers have to offer.
    Schedule wrote:
    Grassroots: Why Gamers are Getting Involved and Why You Should Too
    Naga Theatre
    Friday, 2:00pm
    Over the years we as a community of gamers have had our fair share of nemeses ranging from politicians, activists, and...ahem...lawyers. And make no mistake, as one discredited opponent fades away there will be more to fill the void. Find out how we've been fighting back, where we've found success (and failure), and how you can help the cause.

Panelists Include: Joseph Donovan [Managing Director, Nelson Mullins Public Strategies], Joel Bartlett [Associate Director of Marketing, PETA], Adam Conner [Associate Manager, Facebook], Brett Schenker, [Online Advocacy Manager, ECA]

If we are to be taken more seriously by the world and not just billed as geeks living in their mothers basements, we need to show that there are gamers who are ready to step out and improve the world around them.

If you guys cant do it, if someone wants to loan me a video camera for that panel, Im more than willing to do it up.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really think you guys are missing a great panel, especially to show the world outside of pax goers what gamers have to offer.
    Schedule wrote:
    Grassroots: Why Gamers are Getting Involved and Why You Should Too
    Naga Theatre
    Friday, 2:00pm
    Over the years we as a community of gamers have had our fair share of nemeses ranging from politicians, activists, and...ahem...lawyers. And make no mistake, as one discredited opponent fades away there will be more to fill the void. Find out how we've been fighting back, where we've found success (and failure), and how you can help the cause.

Panelists Include: Joseph Donovan [Managing Director, Nelson Mullins Public Strategies], Joel Bartlett [Associate Director of Marketing, PETA], Adam Conner [Associate Manager, Facebook], Brett Schenker, [Online Advocacy Manager, ECA]

If we are to be taken more seriously by the world and not just billed as geeks living in their mothers basements, we need to show that there are gamers who are ready to step out and improve the world around them.

If you guys cant do it, if someone wants to loan me a video camera for that panel, Im more than willing to do it up.

As soon as the doors open, at least two of us will be going for the Keynote line. One of us should be free to cover this, but I'll go over it with the crew. We may have a spare camcorder too, but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Do you guys have some sort of minimum requirement for video quality? I have a Flip Ultra HD that I'll be using to record several of the panels on your list. It's HD video, but certainly doesn't compare to professional equipment. If you want it; however, you're welcome to any video that I shoot. (and because I'm in a wheelchair, I'll most likely be very close to the front, so that'll help.)

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do you guys have some sort of minimum requirement for video quality? I have a Flip Ultra HD that I'll be using to record several of the panels on your list. It's HD video, but certainly doesn't compare to professional equipment. If you want it; however, you're welcome to any video that I shoot. (and because I'm in a wheelchair, I'll most likely be very close to the front, so that'll help.)

I'm familiar with how those Flips film and it's good enough. One question actually, does it film in 4x3 or 16x9? We're likely only going to be filming in HD with one camera, and it's going to be downsized anyway. As long as people are not filming with a basic digital camera or a phone, we will at least look over whatever footage is sent to us and consider it. This is a community project after all, and we know not everybody has the best equipment so we don't expect to receive much in high quality.

We don't have much "professional" equipment either, so don't worry so much about quality. We try to get the best we can, but there's still only so much we can do right now.

So anyway, yes please send us whatever you want to after the show and we'll definitely consider it. You will get credit for it of course. Thanks for the offer, we look forward to seeing all of it!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The Flip films in 16:9. The nice part of my personal setup is that I'll be using a gorilla-pod on the arm of my wheelchair, so it should be a nice, steady shot...assuming I don't get antsy and start moving around.

Facelesscog on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Awesome, sounds good!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To be honest, if you guys just wrangle up a spare camcorder, I've done video for fight with tools, and would be happy to leave some sort of collateral with you, to get it on film.

I know how important the key note is, I just also think this is important.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The keynote is important, but there's also three of us and we don't all need to be there. We also only have one other thing planned for Friday aside from the concerts, so we should be able to get it. Like I said, let me bring it up with my crew some time today to make sure, and I will let you know what's up.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    lkhushrenadalkhushrenada Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I emailed you ColdBrew.

Got it, and responded.

Also, bumping for OP edit. It's been a bit re-designed, and our list of panels has once again been updated to reflect our final schedule. That list is now final! Everything in Lime we will be attending and filming. Everything else we will need volunteers for. As the new OP says, you're welcome to film and submit anything you want, not just what we have listed. Please refer to it for details and answers to the questions that you all are asking the most.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My cheap digital camera can shoot nearly an hour of impressive-for-a-cheap-still-camera video. Search youtube for mspencer712 and watch that Rock Band Free Play stage video from PAX 09 for example video.

It's not HD, and it's less than ideal quality for SD. I have a little portable tripod -- I can extend the legs a bit and use it as a handheld stabilizer.

Do want? Do not want? I could loan the camera to someone I trust. As an Enforcer I would need special permission to do any work on a project like this, and I don't want to bug people for that. I'm sure I can bring and loan a camera though.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can say we would at least consider including videos filmed from digital cameras, so go ahead and film what you want and submit it to us.

And are you sure you need special permission though? Just shoot a message to Khoo, like we usually do. :P

Also, unrelated, the description on your video of JoCo performing Code Monkey should be changed. Because it says Skullcrusher Mountain.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, mspencer. Taking a look at your video quality, it looks pretty good to me! Go ahead and go nuts with whatever you wanna film. We look forward to seeing it!

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ^ What he said! ^

Also, added something to the bottom of the OP. If anybody wants to know the very minute we upload some footage to YouTube or otherwise, you can follow me on Twitter or befriend me on Facebook. Anything I upload will be tweeted and appear on my profile automatically. Don't worry about Twitter spam from me either, I pretty much never use it outside of PAX. This is also why I didn't bother creating a separate user name for this project.

I may also be using Twitter during PAX to announce other things, say after we interview somebody cool, or if something awesome happens or is about to happen that people need to know about.

EDIT: Also, I will be getting on a train Monday around 4pm PST. I will be on it until Thursday night when it gets into Boston. I will have access to this forum and my e-mail from my phone as long as I have cell/3G service, but if anybody needs to contact us specifically, please shoot an email to Papaprinny. (papaprinny@paxcommunitydvd.net)

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I don't have a video of JoCo. I think that's someone else's video. mspencer712 has only uploaded one video ever, and that's Take Me Out.

I've broached the subject a few times with organizers in the past, and I don't want to be a bother. They haven't forbidden me . . . and I don't want to go into detail about what they told me here because it could be taken as precedent and quoted as an Official Decision. Too risky. I think as long as I'm not interviewing someone (potential for misunderstandings -- am I me? Am I PAX? Am I media?) and I'm not gaining or using any access that any other attendee couldn't get just as easily, maybe it'd be fine. I'll tread lightly if I do this. No guarantees. I'd really prefer to let someone else be responsible for the camera.

mspencer on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'd say use your best judgment, mspencer. Don't go getting in trouble for us!

papaprinny on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My bad, must have been a video under favorites. Also, we may be media, but as far as filming and interviewing, it really doesn't give us any extra access that normal attendee's don't have. Whatever you do is up to you though, if you can find somebody to lend the camera to then cool.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For those of you planning to attend and bring your video camera with you, here's a list of things you can do to make your recording better:

Hold your camera with both hands. Keeps the picture much steadier.
    In panels, get as close to the speakers as you can to avoid recording more acoustic reverb than direct-from-speaker sound.
    In panels, try to grab an aisle seat that gives you a good view of the panelists.
    Your auto-focus will be thrown off by the heads of the people sitting in front of you. Either zoom in far enough to get attendees' heads out of frame, or grab an aisle seat as suggested above.
    Tripods with fluid heads and monopods will make your life much easier if you can get a hold of them.

As mentioned, we are still in great need of a volunteer to film An Evening With Scott Kurtz panel Saturday evening at 10:30. If you aren't planning to attend the concert, this is a fantastic way to spend your time. Scott Kurtz is an extremely funny guy, and the Community DVD simply won't be complete without him. If you are planning to attend and will have a camera with you, by all means, please let us know!

-PP

papaprinny on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    After exchanging some PM's with some people: I am willing to loan my crappy camera to a trustworthy attendee for specific panels, but I will not be shooting any video myself for this project. I will still be shooting some video in a casual sense but it will be short clips for personal use and/or Youtube with permission, but no video for a project like this. Sorry. :-(

mspencer on
  • Options
    SynrottaSynrotta Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I will be at all three days of the EXPO and will bring both my Flip HD and a Pana HD camcorder. That way I can record most of the day!!!

Synrotta on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You're the man, Synrotta. We appreciate the help!

papaprinny on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    its linked in the DVD thread, but bumping it anyway so people don't miss it.

also might be worth you guys contacting Mike and Jerry(if someone hasn't already linked them to it). at the very least i imagine they'd mention it in a news post for that that hoped to get an official DVD.

Wraith260 on
This discussion has been closed.