As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Justified] City Primeval premieres 18 July, holy shit! (ALL THE SPOILERS)

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    it seemed off in the way most pilots seem off

or something

Well, yeah, something was very off. The chick was putting white gravy on fried chicken when everyone knows white gravy goes on chicken-fried steak.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    still

goddamn woman, you only shoot people when they're eatin supper?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I seem predisposed to not liking Olyphant, so the fact that this episode makes me want to watch more of this show is a strong sign.

Still, I'll probably drop it if they don't keep the arcs nice and tight. There's nothing on TV I hate more than a show that doesn't go anywhere.

Atomika on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fun show. With a bit tighter writing it could be pretty good. I'll have to see how this develops.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've seen some of the previews for this, but haven't had a chance to watch the pilot yet... Seems kind of like Walking Tall but in Kentucky instead of Tennessee...is that at all accurate? Looks like there's mixed feelings on it so far.

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    still

goddamn woman, you only shoot people when they're eatin supper?

Love love love Goggins.

And yeah, it seemed a little "off" (the pacing, maybe?) but that's expected with a pilot. We'll see what kind of arc develops, but I think it already shows promise.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really enjoyed it, and the trailers for upcoming episodes made me very happy because it's obvious that it's not just going to be "oh I'm still alive and the show is gonna be about us fighting each other when in reality it shouldn't be about that" and it's actually going to have separate story driven episodes.

Also, I love the acting talent of Timothy Olymphant, but does anyone else feel like that guy is probably a HUGE dick in person?

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Finally got around to seeing this, thought it was mostly OK, but will watch it again tomorrow (provided there is no basketball conflict).

The efforts at portraying the local color were a little hit-and-miss. Some of the opening shots of "Harlan County" really did look like a small KY town, as did a couple of the building interiors. However, the accents definitely seemed off, and some of the slang was wrong (the blonde girl says "yams" instead of "sweet potatos" early on, and someone later says "dining room" instead of "kitchen"). I was also perplexed by what seemed to be a big river-spanning bridge by the black church in Lexington, which is miles from any body of water. I'm sure this isn't a big deal for most people but as a local it kind of took away from the atmosphere and overall world-building.

Also, I couldn't figure out what was going on with the blonde chick in general. Was she supposed to be on drugs or something?

The story dragged a little bit until the last fifteen-twenty minutes, when it got considerably better. Goggins made a genuinely threatening, interesting and potentially complex antagonist, although I thought the other characters (including the hero) were kinda bland. Hopefully they'll get fleshed out more as time goes on.

It was pretty decent for a pilot, all things considered, although it'll need to build up a bit more for me to keep watching.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I really enjoyed it, and the trailers for upcoming episodes made me very happy because it's obvious that it's not just going to be "oh I'm still alive and the show is gonna be about us fighting each other when in reality it shouldn't be about that" and it's actually going to have separate story driven episodes.

Also, I love the acting talent of Timothy Olymphant, but does anyone else feel like that guy is probably a HUGE dick in person?

I politely disagree entirely.

When you get into long stretches of "adventure of the week" type storytelling, the first thing to get tossed out the window is character development. Look at horrible shows like CSI or Law & Order; they've had the same casts for years, yet you don't know any more about any character or their relationships with other characters ten years in than you did in the pilot. There's is literally nothing of interest in that kind of storytelling.

Then take a show that has tight, concise arcs like BSG or The Wire with relatively short runs (73 episodes and 60 episodes, respectively) and they feel sprawling and expansive and important because every episode builds from the last.

Atomika on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

When you get into long stretches of "adventure of the week" type storytelling, the first thing to get tossed out the window is character development. Look at horrible shows like CSI or Law & Order; they've had the same casts for years, yet you don't know any more about any character or their relationships with other characters ten years in than you did in the pilot. There's is literally nothing of interest in that kind of storytelling.

Then take a show that has tight, concise arcs like BSG or The Wire with relatively short runs (73 episodes and 60 episodes, respectively) and they feel sprawling and expansive and important because every episode builds from the last.

I guess it's just because it's Cletus Van Damme, but I remember the shield, and rescue me both being just completely awesome the first two or three seasons and then running out of steam with the long, continuous storyline.

Obviously it's worked in other cases, like the Wire and Generation Kill, but that might just be a cable vs premium cable difference... dunno.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Or you could look at great shows like Homicide and NYPD Blue. Both episodic, yet had pretty great character arcs. It's only as interesting as the writers behind it can make it, and that goes for episodic or serialized.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The great thing about Homicide was that whiteboard that kept track of cases open and solved. Weeks after Pembleton was stumped on a case something would come up in, say, Crosetti's investigation and they'd wipe the name off and mark it solved. Whoever was in charge of continuity on that show did a good job.

Backstop on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Backstop wrote: »
    The great thing about Homicide was that whiteboard that kept track of cases open and solved. Weeks after Pembleton was stumped on a case something would come up in, say, Crosetti's investigation and they'd wipe the name off and mark it solved. Whoever was in charge of continuity on that show did a good job.

The poor bastard who had to re-draw that whiteboard for each episode died of lung cancer last November. They had a picture of him in the Emmy montage.

Also, Justified was pretty good. I was hoping for a little more bad-assery like we saw in the opening, but worth a watch.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that sniper Marshall? i think he's the guy from Europtrip

Joolander on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haven't checked out the latest episode yet. Probably watch it tomorrow.

Just wanted to say that if anybody has ideas for thread titles, feel free to PM me. Don't be upset if I don't bother to change it, though. I'll probably not change it until after I watch this episode, or maybe the next.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So far I'm really liking this show, he's pulling off being a believable rouge-ish lawman without falling into the trap of being a self-righteous douche also. Fine line to walk but he's towing it (I believe).

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I also enjoy it, though Olyphant is charasmatic enough that he could carry a bad plot, which in two eps they haven't had to rely on.

And there are plenty of episodic shows with character development. Like Supernatural and Castle (castle is way more episodic but supernatural started off as monster/urban legend of the week).

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    And there are plenty of episodic shows with character development. Like Supernatural and Castle (castle is way more episodic but supernatural started off as monster/urban legend of the week).

True, some shows really toe the line of character study/episodic, probably none so more than X-Files. What I personally don't go in for is wholesale dropping of MythArcs to devote a week or three to tangential, unrelated stories that bear no importance to the impetus of the overall show (see also: X-Files, again).

But you bring up Supernatural, and while I do like the show, by the end of next season they'll be close to 120 episodes, which is just about twice what shows like The Wire had to tell a story.

From a quality-assurance and academic standpoint, a shorter lifespan tends to bode well for a show's cohesiveness. Producers only really ever have a handful of ideas for a show, and very few shows even get into Season 3 or 4 without starting to buckle under their weight. God forbid a show runs several seasons past its prime, continuing well past the obvious conclusion, stretching things out needlessly and embarrassingly, only bring about an eventual and unsatisfying conclusion (see thrice: X-Files).

We shouldn't encourage the prolongation of a show just because we really like the characters. It's not fair the the craft, and never turns out well for the cast, crew, or people watching at home.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes, the sniper is Marshall from Eurotrip, and he's a badass in Justified.

When he first appeared on screen I thought he was the DA or Court appointed attorney because he was talking about the deal being made in the murder case.
    then he pulled out a big ass sniper rifle and fucked up a couple of hillbillies...

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

True, some shows really toe the line of character study/episodic, probably none so more than X-Files. What I personally don't go in for is wholesale dropping of MythArcs to devote a week or three to tangential, unrelated stories that bear no importance to the impetus of the overall show (see also: X-Files, again).

But you bring up Supernatural, and while I do like the show, by the end of next season they'll be close to 120 episodes, which is just about twice what shows like The Wire had to tell a story.

From a quality-assurance and academic standpoint, a shorter lifespan tends to bode well for a show's cohesiveness. Producers only really ever have a handful of ideas for a show, and very few shows even get into Season 3 or 4 without starting to buckle under their weight. God forbid a show runs several seasons past its prime, continuing well past the obvious conclusion, stretching things out needlessly and embarrassingly, only bring about an eventual and unsatisfying conclusion (see thrice: X-Files).

We shouldn't encourage the prolongation of a show just because we really like the characters. It's not fair the the craft, and never turns out well for the cast, crew, or people watching at home.

I agree shows should stay around as long as they have a story to tell, but 2 episodes in here I can't say this one is overstaying its welcome.

And supernatural while getting a 6th season has been better every year. Because we live in post xfiles tv, writers have learned what really pisses people off, well some writers.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010

When he first appeared on screen I thought he was the DA or Court appointed attorney because he was talking about the deal being made in the murder case.
    then he pulled out a big ass sniper rifle and fucked up a couple of hillbillies...

Yeah I liked that in the first ep, we were introduced to the characters, and then had them actually doing something, so its not like Ralyen is out there Carusing it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yeah I liked that in the first ep, we were introduced to the characters, and then had them actually doing something, so its not like Ralyen is out there Carusing it.

Yeah, I get the feeling that the entire marshall's office is going to be pretty cool with good 'ol fashioned justice.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yeah, I get the feeling that the entire marshall's office is going to be pretty cool with good 'ol fashioned justice.

Well it would be pretty boring if we didn't get our shootings in. I wonder if the guy with a broken nose will keep making appearances and getting his nose broken. Also I like the subtle pop culture refences, like the chinatown joke.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So far so good. I'm liking the supporting characters and for some reason I was really hoping someone would ask him about his hat, so that made me happy.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So far so good. I'm liking the supporting characters and for some reason I was really hoping someone would ask him about his hat, so that made me happy.

I'm guessing theres more of a story there, but in all fairness, it is a nice hat.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I thought they did ask him about his hat and he said that it was the first one he tried on and it just happened to fit perfectly.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    clownfood wrote: »

I thought they did ask him about his hat and he said that it was the first one he tried on and it just happened to fit perfectly.

Yeah that's why he was happy, someone asked him about the hat.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Haven't seen last nights episode, but I liked the pilot. Does anyone know where it's filmed? I like the fact that it's not another generic LA/NYC cop show. People seem to forget about rural America and the rich stories that can be told. Oh, and the woman who murdered her husband is bangin'.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Haven't seen last nights episode, but I liked the pilot. Does anyone know where it's filmed? I like the fact that it's not another generic LA/NYC cop show. People seem to forget about rural America and the rich stories that can be told. Oh, and the woman who murdered her husband is bangin'.

Probably shot in Vancouver...

Woops guess I was wrong.

The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania while the subsequent 12 episodes were shot in California.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The pilot was shot in Pittsburgh and suburban Kittaning, Pennsylvania and Washington, Pennsylvania while the subsequent 12 episodes were shot in California.

God damnit.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

God damnit.

Meh everything gets shot in california, though this is obviously being shot in places normally not shown out there.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Except Psych, which is set in Santa Barbara but filmed in Vancouver.

So, Justified. I liked it. It's got a sort of Eastwood-western flair that's been missing from TV for awhile.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I hope that the episodes in California don't mean the show is actually changing its venue. But even then I hate it when shows are set in various places but it's obvious that's not where it is. You can always tell. Is it really so hard to film somewhere within 1000 miles of where your show is supposed to be taking place?

Liked the second episode significantly better than the first. It was a bit more lighthearted and I think the setting lends itself to a little humor as long as they don't go overboard with it. I also think it's interesting how the cops in this show seem to avoid killing people unless they absolutely have to, despite the modern-Western feel. It makes the protagonists a little more likable.

I'm still not crazy about the love interest, though, but maybe she'll get developed more later. Right now she just seems kind of out of place.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I kinda found the main character the least interesting of the whole thing: He was just this "aww schucks"-buddy that somehow also was set out to be a stone-cold badass.

Wasn't feeling it.

Walton Goggins was on fire though, the setting is kinda nice and those other marshal dudes were a spinoff series in the making, so I'll definitely continue watch.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Duffel wrote: »
    I hope that the episodes in California don't mean the show is actually changing its venue. But even then I hate it when shows are set in various places but it's obvious that's not where it is. You can always tell. Is it really so hard to film somewhere within 1000 miles of where your show is supposed to be taking place?

It is, actually. You either have to pay for the cast/crew to stay there (expensive for a TV series) or you have to hire local cast/crew - which could be slim pickings. Note that also includes extras which you need a different batch of every episode. Areas like California and Vancouver are set up for very affordable production.

Note: Movies are different. While it is still expensive to shoot on location, the expenses are over, say, 30 days rather than 180+ days a year.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, I know... I just think it's kind of annoying when you start noticing that every location on TV is somewhere around LA. Some shows pull it off a lot better than others - Criminal Minds is apparently filmed entirely in Southern California but the characters fly all over the country and you'd never know it by watching the show. Or at least I don't.

And of course it's a little more noticeable to people who actually live in the places where the show is either set or filmed. I always imagined that Vancouver residents get really tired of constantly seeing recognizable local landmarks on TV in stuff supposedly all over the country/world.

Justified is actually doing a pretty decent job of it, though. All the towns they've mentioned are real places, some of which I'm intimately familiar with, and they even apparently talked to a few people in the area. For instance, the criminal who keeps getting his nose busted mentions that he's from Corbin, which is a town without a particularly good reputation. Goggins also seems to have spent a bit of time with an accent coach between this episode and the last one. You can't expect them to get everything right, but it's pretty cool when you can tell that they were making an effort.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Goggins also seems to have spent a bit of time with an accent coach between this episode and the last one. You can't expect them to get everything right, but it's pretty cool when you can tell that they were making an effort.

Goggins grew up in the South. I don't think he has to fake an accent.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well the initial ratings for this last week were the second highest ever for Fx (second only to the shield) so outside of a seaquest or heroes dive we'll probably at least get to see where they take this.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Goggins also seems to have spent a bit of time with an accent coach between this episode and the last one. You can't expect them to get everything right, but it's pretty cool when you can tell that they were making an effort.

Goggins grew up in the South. I don't think he has to fake an accent.

Might as well get some use out of my anth degree...

Appalachian accents (especially in the part of Kentucky where the show is set) are a lot different than Southern accents. For instance, I believe the standard Southern accent is non-rhotic while Appalachian accents are strongly rhotic (varying on the individual, of course). The wikipedia article on it is pretty cool if you're interested in stuff like folk studies/linguistic transmission/whatever.

Also, it's not just the accent but also the cadence, speaking mannerisms and stuff like that. Walton Goggins has it down better than Timothy Olyphant and definitely much better than Joelle Carter, who has a very breathy, drawn-out accent I've never heard on anybody within 500 miles of where I grew up. Maybe subconsciously that's why I haven't taken to her character very much?

Not that any of this really matters in the grand scheme of things, of course. I think this has the potential to be a cool show regardless of any of this, and if it's good or bad it's going to be because of how well the characters are developed, not the way they talk. But when they get things right (and like I said, occasionally they do) it makes the show a little more fun to watch, for me anyway.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    consider me accent schooled

Clevinger on
This discussion has been closed.