As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's make some Viral Horror]- The epic terror of Mandible "manny" Toothfacé

124»

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I want an excuse to use the word yonic. I now declare his mouth to be yonic!
    Yonic is more or less the opposite of phallic.

BugBoy on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I want an excuse to use the word yonic. I now declare his mouth to be yonic!
    Yonic is more or less the opposite of phallic.

themoreyouknow.jpg

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know what everyone else is thinking but I imagined Manny like this. Those lines on the head are supposed to be long, thin nostrils but I was using a blunt pencil crayon.

Manny.jpg

You're home alone and you've just had a shower. Walk to the refrigerator to get a soft drink and movement to your left catches your eye. Manny stands on the other side of a frosted glass door, slowly stroking his dripping, semi-flaccid manhood.

I don't actually find any of this creepy but it's fun to be part of something and I wanted an excuse to use the word flaccid.

I would say remove the lines above the grin. Unless thats just the way the skull is formed then its cool. Also he should appear genderless I would think. Manny would probably be a psychic entity and would be visible as a projection into his victims mind.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Did you draw him standing upright like that because that's how you imagine him, or because you just wanted to give us a clear view of his body?

I'm hoping it's the latter. I imagine his natural state as being curled up, like a beast ready to pounce.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Did you draw him standing upright like that because that's how you imagine him, or because you just wanted to give us a clear view of his body?

I'm hoping it's the latter. I imagine his natural state as being curled up, like a beast ready to pounce.

Yeah I feel Manny moves like when . . . Todd McFarland drew Spider-man (for lack of a better analogy). He twists an contorts in unnatural postions He sits in a squating positon always looking like he's about to leap.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is so about to turn into an art thread. I, for one, am up for a bit of arting.

Here's my sketch of Manny; this can double as a "this is the thing that's stalking me, guys, I just know it" image later, though I'd have to remove the title.

Manny.png

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Perhaps we could find a way to tell the story in the form of a thread log? Like, it's a normal [chat] thread (although perhaps not one on this site), and someone comes in talking about how the weirdest thing happened today; they found a tooth in their bathroom drain. As in a normal [chat], this will immediately be followed by dick jokes and the subject will drift, but over the course of several days, the same poster will keep returning to the topic. He'll find another couple of teeth, and get this weird feeling that there's something beyond the door, and he's had to move his computer so he can see it just in case. People ridicule him at first, along the lines of 'lol it's me I've come to raep you", but as it gets worse and worse they'll slowly start to take it more seriously. He posts a video or two of his house so people can see what's going on, and that's when people notice the faint shadow slipping past the window when his back is turned. Perhaps he becomes increasingly uncomfortable talking about it, and when people press him for details out of morbid curiosity he descends into hysterics. There's a sudden outburst of Internet Drama, followed by our forumer dropping off the site in anger. Our [chat]ters are left perturbed by the whole event, and more than one of them admits to bouts of insomnia after reading the whole log. This whole 'thing behind the door' myth, they know it's just a hoax, but they can't quite shake the feeling that it's real. That there really is something behind that door, something that's made its descent from internet myth into reality, seeped down through the cracks of the collective unconsciousness, drawn by the scent of anonymous fear. That maybe there never used to be something behind that door, but one day...
    there is.

hey, so you'll never guess what I found lying about my house today, guys. I'm sure it's just from a kid or something, but I'll admit it, I'm a little creeped out.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

I imagined that he would stand mostly upright when still but hunch over and squat down more when moving around. The more upright he stands the more he is a mockery of the human form but he needs a certain bestial element too. I'm not sure about it.

Lieb's sketch has elements I like better, such as the head. I was never quite sure about it myself. I think the legs need to be a bit longer though, like the arms. More awkward. I imagined similar unnaturally long fingers but with long, brown, nasty looking nails. Thick long fingernails that look they were sharpened with a whittling knife. Pinkish skin with long scars or scratches that look like they were self-inflicted. With it's fingernails perhaps. I had the feet longer with unnaturally long toes too and I think that's better but it's not important.

I think he should have male genitals because every sketch of a chupacabra, grey alien or anything like that always the subject bare as Barbie down there. Monsters never roll Dr. Manhattan and a dong would set Manny apart from the rest. It also makes him more grotesque and vulgar.

Cedar Brown on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What about some kind of non-human dangly bits that we could surmise are probably genitals, but don't necessarily resemble anything phallic or yonic?

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think the legs need to be a bit longer though, like the arms. More awkward.

You're completely right. The legs are meant to be long and spindly, but I accidentally drew them short because I fail.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just had a cool idea, (well I think it's cool at least but I'm not writer) so I skipped most of the pages to post it but I love most of the ideas on here so far.

Instead of just hearing teeth chattering how about a story where someone is going around and turning off all the lights in their house at night when they realize there's been this constant clicking sound going on for a while and they just now noticed it. The person carefully walks from room to room trying to find out where this clicking is coming from. As they reach a hallway and begin to slowly walk past doors to the source the clicking begins to slow down. When they first noticed it it was at a constant rapid pace but now there is only clicking ever couple moments. Now every couple seconds. Half a minute goes by without any clicking, The person is just standing in front of the door and holding their breath and waiting. Waiting to see if that strange noise has stopped and if it's ok to exhale or if it is quiet because something knows they are there. When it seems like too much time has passed for there to be any more clicks they reach for the door knob and slowly begin to turn it as their pulse quickens for no obvious reason. And they open the door.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    manny.jpg

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremanFreman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Shane McGowan?
    shane_mcgowan.jpg

Freman on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    manny.jpg
    He looks so sad.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    He looks so sad.

"It's so lonely in here. Why won't anyone ever open the door?"

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The real monster is man.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I kinda like that clicking idea. I have a couple of analog clocks in my house. Going around turning off the lights and locking up gets a little creepy because I forget about them some times. The one in my daughters room most often. I walk down the hallway and hear this low clicking sound coming from her room because the door is cracked open. I get worried and freaked out all at the same time. I go in and then see her Disney princess alarm clock on her dresser due to her night light (she's 7 and says her room creeps her out).

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    He looks so sad.

"It's so lonely in here. Why won't anyone ever open the door?"
    Yes! Never tell us what is behind the door.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The unstoppable stalking monster thing has been done to death.

I like the idea of creating a viral horror type thing, but the omnipotent baddies that can't be stopped or hurt have become almost a trope in their own genre.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So?

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have multiple creatures.

Setup multiple sites. Have one being the "main characters" blog. Create another faux website to be the local rag of a newspaper for a sleepy town in some backwater area in the Appalachians.

Have the overall story arch of the town itself becoming prey to these creatures. With news articles and pictures on the paper web site giving half-truths and rationalizations while the blog web site becomes the main characters personal crusade to find out what the hell is going on.

As our hero gets closer to the truth the creatures begin to have an interest in him. He learns that they can only materialize from their shadow-space in small areas where they can't be seen like closets and dark hallways.

Image having a blog entry. The hero has been hospitalized after falling down the stairs in his home trying to escape whatever was in his bathroom. The blog says he's starting to see and hear things at night in the hospital. Then the blog goes silent for a few days and you see on the newspaper web site that there was a disturbance at the local county hospital with a patient smashing the reflective on all the doors in the building.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    "Multiple creatures" makes me think of zombies or werewolves or vampires or aliens. Cool and all, but just as overdone.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Several more bizarre Tool videos use toothfaces. Those always kinda unnerved me, the way they're just latching onto the guy's face.

I'll find the video when I get off work.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I hate to roll up old threads, but I just came across this in the scary/creepy thread, and I had an idea

Manny wants to keep your doors closed, right? Just don't open a door and you are safe right? What if Manny's goal isn't to eat you/rape you/ kidnap and torture you in a hell dimension? What if his goal is to make you a paranoid shut-in so that he and his kind can do his business unencumbered by your sorry asses? (and I'm not trying to offend those involved, this is just what this idea of "Opening closed doors" sparked in my somewhat agoraphobic mind.)

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I read through the entire overtaken portion of the creepy and terrifying tales thread. I can help with this. I have an old barn and farmhouse built around 1890 that used to be a showcase house where all the parties were held. It has doors everywhere with. I can count 27 regular doors and then the doors to the built-in closets cubby-holes make it more like 32.
    Also, the two owners, a man and his sister, were murdered by some farmhands in the 70's. They thought the owners were keeping gold in milk-cans in the cellar.

Oh yeah, and the owner, a cranky old man, got sick of life and let his herd of 400 jersey cows rot in piles of their own manure without taking care of them. the whole thing was discovered and shutdown by the local government/humane society after the murder. We're still digging cow skeletons out of the dried dung in the barn basement.

So anyways, point is that I think this would be a great place to do some filming.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds interesting.

We're staying low for a bit but feel free to start up your own ideas.

Sipex on
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Sounds interesting.

We're staying low for a bit but feel free to start up your own ideas.

So things are in the works? I feared this might have been dying out.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think something worth noting, is that no two people may snap the same way when presented with a horrifying situation. One guy pulls off all his doors. One guy puts up more doors. A third installs glass doors all over his house. Hell, when thinking about this, I would pull a fucking closet door off the wall and use it as a shield to walk around my house. I imagine that across the entire internet, people could come up with some truly unique ways of dealing with the situation.

Then you get the absolute ridiculous ass end of paranoid. People forgoing purses, wallets, cutting pockets out of their clothes. Insisting people who come into their home tape their mouths shut and only speak by writing. Ground this back into reality a bit, give even the scared people a sense of "Hahaha this guy is completely silly goose nuts!" and the next time the fear strikes, it's all that worse because the truth is "What if he's right?"

Anyway, if this is still going on, PM me or something. I would love to get in on this and have a couple ideas that may be untapped.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate to roll up old threads, but I just came across this in the scary/creepy thread, and I had an idea

Manny wants to keep your doors closed, right? Just don't open a door and you are safe right? What if Manny's goal isn't to eat you/rape you/ kidnap and torture you in a hell dimension? What if his goal is to make you a paranoid shut-in so that he and his kind can do his business unencumbered by your sorry asses? (and I'm not trying to offend those involved, this is just what this idea of "Opening closed doors" sparked in my somewhat agoraphobic mind.)

I agree, I don't think Manny should ever do anything to you, and I don't think he should ever be seen. Rather, I think that in a situation where Manny is on the other side of a door, that door is never opened. The reason being that Manny is not there for you, Manny is doing something, he is manipulating things in your home in some way for some purpose you don't understand, and he is preventing you from walking into rooms in which he is working.

So Manny is projecting this image of himself into your head, and filling you with incredible fear, because he doesn't want you to open the door. And no one ever does open the door while Manny is on the other side, at least not until he's done doing what he needs to.

I do like the idea of the only time that you see Manny is when you can see past the door for some reason, like there is a small window on the door or it's made of clouded glass, in which case you will see just glimpses or parts of him.

Also, I think the ultimate end for a victim of Manny is that your entire home becomes under his control, gradually he begins to control more and more rooms of your house, and you gradually go insane from fear of opening doors. He eventually traps you in a room until you starve to death or are rescued.

Winky on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If anyone's working on this and would like some help PM me; I've got to much going on to run my own deal, but if someone wants so help I'd like to be in on it in some capacity.

JihadJesus on