As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microsoft Game Room - Pitfall, Super Breakout, more - 5/5, supposedly

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the second they actually have ARCADE games in Game Room, I will write a blank check and tell Microsoft to write any number they see fit.

The 6 Player X-Men game? Holy shit that would be insane.
    The Simpsons arcade game? Yes, yes a thousand times.
    CHILDREN OF THE ATOM? Fuuuuuuuuuck yes (even though I have MvC2...)

But when it consists of games that I either already own, on my XBox 360 (DigDug), and now I have to RE-BUY them - and games that can be found anywhere else, I will pass.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Now everyone knows how the owners of Xbox Live Arcade on the OXbox felt

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

YES! THIS!

I still have like 3 discs from when they came with XBox Live subscriptions. I should just pop those in.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »

YES! THIS!

I still have like 3 discs from when they came with XBox Live subscriptions. I should just pop those in.

If it will stop you from coming here just to post how much this sucks, then yes. You should.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm getting Centipede, Tempest and Jungler (that last one pretty much just because of Giant Bomb)

Zephos, add me as a friend so I can try out Lunar Lander when you get it. I've never played it.

It's not an auto-buy for me, but I'm definitely giving Jungler a try also specifically because of Giant Bomb :lol:

I'm going for Tutenkham, Crystal Castles, Scramble, Shao-Lin's Road (loved it when I used to play it in the arcade as Kicker), and maybe Tempest. I'll try out the Intellivision stuff, and I MIGHT pick up Yar's eventually, but although the 2600 was my first home system, I have very little nostalgia for that stuff for the most part. Also kinda curious about Battlantis just from the silly as hell name.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I almost bought Dig Dug yesterday, glad I didn't. I'll pick it up as my first Virtual Arcade game instead.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    If there was the ability to visit your friend's arcade and play the games with him, I would bite. Without that, it's pointless to me. I don't care one tiny bit.
    There is isnt there, One of the achievements is too do with visiting a friends arcade.

You can't play the games with your friends. You can visit their arcade and play demos.

I want to hop into someone's arcade and play their full versions. Of course, they have to be in the game at the time and accept my request to visit. I want to also be able to play games with them. 2 player arcade beat em ups. Shoot em ups. etc.

This arcade is nothing like that.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If there was the ability to visit your friend's arcade and play the games with him, I would bite. Without that, it's pointless to me. I don't care one tiny bit.
    There is isnt there, One of the achievements is too do with visiting a friends arcade.

You can't play the games with your friends. You can visit their arcade and play demos.

I want to hop into someone's arcade and play their full versions. Of course, they have to be in the game at the time and accept my request to visit. I want to also be able to play games with them. 2 player arcade beat em ups. Shoot em ups. etc.

You do play the full game. You're just limited in how many plays I believe.

Aoi on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    the second they actually have ARCADE games in Game Room, I will write a blank check and tell Microsoft to write any number they see fit.

The 6 Player X-Men game? Holy shit that would be insane.
    The Simpsons arcade game? Yes, yes a thousand times.
    CHILDREN OF THE ATOM? Fuuuuuuuuuck yes (even though I have MvC2...)

But when it consists of games that I either already own, on my XBox 360 (DigDug), and now I have to RE-BUY them - and games that can be found anywhere else, I will pass.
    Dude, I am so with you on Children of the Atom. If I could play that online (LEGALLY) then that would be the beesknees. MvC2 can never replace that game, so stylish!

Konami's X-Men and Simpsons games would be great too. Throw in Sunset Riders, G.I. Joe and a good port of Turtles in Time and we'd be golden. :)

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Aoi wrote: »

You do play the full game. You're just limited in how many plays I believe.

Not according to a post earlier in this thread...
    Sanders wrote: »
    Last I checked you were limited to one visitor in your game room at a time and they can only play a demo of your games.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    That's hardly rock solid confirmation.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well, some of us will see first hand tomorrow I guess and report back.

I mean it states that you can invite people over to "Demo" your games in the notification, but realistically, how can you demo some of these? I can't see them doing much more than tossing in a time limit, or limiting you to one or two plays. It would take too much work, when the entire point of this seems to be just straight emulating the old games, while adding some neat interface stuff like customizing challenges which are more game room functionality than messing with the roms themselves.

Aoi on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dude, I am so with you on Children of the Atom. If I could play that online (LEGALLY) then that would be the beesknees. MvC2 can never replace that game, so stylish!

Konami's X-Men and Simpsons games would be great too. Throw in Sunset Riders, G.I. Joe and a good port of Turtles in Time and we'd be golden. :)

I've always hated that I could never buy it.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Apparently demoing a game at a friend's arcade is a free play when you're visiting. It's not a demo or timed version of the game.

A few neat other tidbits. Free avatar clothing and arcade decorations can supposedly be unlocked from playing the game, with other decorations coming from you buying certain titles on their release week. I really like the sound of user creatable challenges to share between friends which end up with banners that change in your arcades depending on who is on top.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

YES! THIS!

If it will stop you from coming here just to post how much this sucks, then yes. You should.

Never have said it sucks - just have said I dont feel like re-purchasing all the XBLA games that are compatable with this, and then tried to add a little discussion by naming some great arcade games I liked that aren't available on any home console, as far as I know. Thats what would sell me on Game Room - new unique content. Not content I already own. Especially not content I already own on the same exact system and hard drive.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

YES! THIS!

Never have said it sucks - just have said I dont feel like re-purchasing all the XBLA games that are compatable with this, and then tried to add a little discussion by naming some great arcade games I liked that aren't available on any home console, as far as I know. Thats what would sell me on Game Room - new unique content. Not content I already own. Especially not content I already own on the same exact system and hard drive.
    As far as I've seen, there isn't any overlap in what's on Arcade, and what's being sold in Game Room. There may be eventually, and I definitely can see not buying it again. I have almost all the retro stuff that was already released on the Arcade, and I'll sure not be repurchasing those again...... Except for maybe Galaga since it's one of my old obsessive favorites, and I want the mascot flying around my arcade.....:oops:

But so far, it's all "new" content to Live.

Ohhh, and you know that code they've been releasing pieces of throughout the block party promotion???

9XBX9-9RCD9-9BCK9-9PRTY-9RCKZ

Aoi on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for that code. My 360 crapped out on me a few days ago so I wouldn't have been able to finish the promo in time. Now I have the Grill Prop waiting for me in my queue when it comes back in a few weeks.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    hooray for universal reusable codes

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just tried out Game Room a little bit. I don't understand why anyone would want to play these games, much less pay for them.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Then I think the whole "Not for you" thing safely applies to you?

Aoi on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll probably buy the Arcade games I want for $5 just so I can get cross-platform play when I'm too lazy to turn on my 360.

Hawk on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Just messed with the Game Room stuff some. As someone who missed a majority of these games when they were new, it seems kind of neat. Tempest is pretty cool.

Isn't Pitfall supposed to be one of the launch games? I didn't see it anywhere.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    Just messed with the Game Room stuff some. As someone who missed a majority of these games when they were new, it seems kind of neat. Tempest is pretty cool.

Isn't Pitfall supposed to be one of the launch games? I didn't see it anywhere.

River Raid is missing too, supposedly. From what I've read, they're having some technical difficulties with some aspects that are supposed to be fixed soon.

Aoi on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I checked this out, and I got some achievement points out of it. I also played some Red Baron.

I think this is pretty spiffy. Eager to see what next week's games are.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wonder what the breakdown between console and arcade releases will be. I would reeeally prefer more arcade than console, at least starting out. I won't be pleased though until I get me some Mr. Do's Wild Ride! up ins.

Edit: Also starting to see people spooge all over Finalizer. Anyone around here tried it out? I don't recall that one.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I played a little Game Room on GFWL, plays nice!

Real smooth, going to compare on 360 and see how it runs. I also got some achievements without even relating to a game. Going to buy the $5 versions for cross-platform play. This has a lot of promise.

Now they need to rename XBLA to something else now that Game Room exists, at least I think.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Dig Dug is missing too.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It was never on the list.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I swear it was!

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It's 200 points on it's own right now, anyway..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    http://www.giantbomb.com/game-room/61-30021/ - Includes Game Room games list

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hawk wrote: »
    http://www.giantbomb.com/game-room/61-30021/ - Includes Game Room games list

Do they have Jungler listed in HUGE ITALICIZED letters?

Aoi on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The main reason I have to be excited about this is Astrosmash and the opportunity to play it without having to bust out the Intellivision and hope it still works. Regarding challenges : as a Gold subscriber can you send challenges to someone with a Silver account, and vice versa? My dad seems kind of pumped about the idea of playing this stuff on his laptop but I don't think he'd be up for dropping $50 a year just to play Armor Battle and Astrosmash. It would be nice if we can engage in scorefights, is all

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

My source:

Players can also sample games purchased by their friends for free by visiting their game rooms.

This was back in Jan '10 so they may have changed it.

I guess the thing about having only one friend in your arcade at a time was wrong as I misread this quote from the article: "Up to two players can compete in online or local multiplayer in games that support competitive or cooperative action. " Though it suggests only two players can play one game at a time. No idea if this means you both have to own the game to be able to play or if only the arcade owner has to own it for both to play the same game. My guess is the former.

edit-
    I've came across some posts on the xbox forums but nothing concrete. Some are claiming you get to play their arcade game once before having to buy it. Not being able to play previously bought games in the arcade room is kinda meh too.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The main reason I have to be excited about this is Astrosmash and the opportunity to play it without having to bust out the Intellivision and hope it still works. Regarding challenges : as a Gold subscriber can you send challenges to someone with a Silver account, and vice versa? My dad seems kind of pumped about the idea of playing this stuff on his laptop but I don't think he'd be up for dropping $50 a year just to play Armor Battle and Astrosmash. It would be nice if we can engage in scorefights, is all

Isn't Gold functionality free on the PC anyway?

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sanders wrote: »

My source:

Players can also sample games purchased by their friends for free by visiting their game rooms.

This was back in Jan '10 so they may have changed it.

I guess the thing about having only one friend in your arcade at a time was wrong as I misread this quote from the article: "Up to two players can compete in online or local multiplayer in games that support competitive or cooperative action. " Though it suggests only two players can play one game at a time. No idea if this means you both have to own the game to be able to play or if only the arcade owner has to own it for both to play the same game. My guess is the former.

It was more a comment that using an essentially hearsay post as proof isn't really solid. Even if you failed initially to provide the source for your belief, it's still bad form to use unsourced claims as proof of anything. Whether or not it was true.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

...Is it? I don't know, I have gold anyway so I never really bothered to wonder about it on the occasions I play GFWL multiplayer stuff

vQ77AtR.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010

...Is it? I don't know, I have gold anyway so I never really bothered to wonder about it on the occasions I play GFWL multiplayer stuff

Yeah, they used to charge for it, but I think a year or so ago, they moved the Gold functionality over to PC to completely free because, well, no one was paying for it.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah GFWL is Gold, no Silver option.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Well I guess Dad will be thrilled, so thanks for the info!

vQ77AtR.png